Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

what the gently caress posted:

loving battery died on me after I ran one roll of film through it. Managed to get one roll off of us getting shipwrecked (literally) at Mawson station but didn't get a chance to get off the ship because we got loving shipwrecked so totes soz but there should be a couple of interesting shots no doubt from the blizzard/blizzard aftermath. Getting home early and we're not doing macquarie island because of this, so should be able to send the cam off to the next person in a couple of weeks. Maybe I could try again next summer.

Did you really only bring one battery to Antarctica?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Maybe I could try again next summer.

I am on board* with this.

* I am (obviously) using the term "on board" as a metaphor here, but this camera has just survived an actual, literal shipwreck so I felt the need to clarify. Goddam amazing.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

ExecuDork posted:

I am on board* with this.

* I am (obviously) using the term "on board" as a metaphor here, but this camera has just survived an actual, literal shipwreck so I felt the need to clarify. Goddam amazing.

It's not like it's gonna get out of Australia in the next year anyway

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Pham Nuwen posted:

It's not like it's gonna get out of Australia in the next year anyway

Side benefit of goons being terrible at shipping things is this is probably the longest running "camera around the world" project ever.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I sent the camera to New York in August, 2012. I found This possibly defunct project after digging through google's suggestion that I was really interested in some book not relevant to this discussion. Follow the link, and another :canada: nutbar sent his P&S out on a different kind of plan, with some gaps showing up in his blog, and last updated about 18 months ago. Everything else I could find was stories of individual people carrying their own cameras on round-the-world trips, not send-it-to-strangers.

8th-snype posted:

Side benefit of goons being terrible at shipping things is this is probably the longest running "camera around the world" project ever.
So, we're in the running!

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
If I have the camera in June, I'm doing an overnight mountain climb, watching the International Rally of Queensland, turning 21 (not as big a deal in Aus as the rest of the world but still) and possibly doing a 50km bike race all in the space of a week, which is probably going to be the most interesting part of the year for me so I'm looking forward to this.

How hard is the camera to use? Does it have a light meter and stuff? I've never shot film.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

How hard is the camera to use? Does it have a light meter and stuff? I've never shot film.
http://web.mit.edu/adorai/Public/Canon_AE-1_Manual.pdf

Point, focus, choose aperture & shutter speed, shoot.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

8th-snype posted:

Did you really only bring one battery to Antarctica?

You forget who you're talking to here

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

You forget who you're talking to here

When I read the post I said out loud to myself "fuckin' sludgetank"

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

post the ice pics, throw the canon in the trash, and replace it with a camera that has a functional manual mode, and then ship it, tia.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
the film and the camera are in singapore atm. wont be able to do anything until it gets back to me.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

so long as it's not in australia

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Doesn't matter where the AE-1 is or who has it (besides a landfill / nobody), any and all (either) camera-around-the-world photos are eagerly anticipated.

I haven't had an email or a PM requesting the DICPIX upload procedure for a very, very long time.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Is the AE-1 still in Singapore?

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
~g00n_pRōJēCtS~

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

ship the cam

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Has anyone got in touch directly with Sludge Tank about it?

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
hey fellers. got a message today about the cam. been flat out started university/new job/moved house/other lame excuses. i'll go grab the camera this weekend and pass it on.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Hey bros who is the cam going to next? Shoot me a msg

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Messaged.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Consider this the OP's stamp of approval for whoever gets it next.

Sludge, you got pictures to show us yet?

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
SO I've got about half a dozen rolls of portra. Only one of them has any photos on it, but im not sure which one. And the photos on it are from when the ship was grounded at mawsom. I've gotta figure out which one it is. I'll endeavour to get on that soon when i have some spare money to throw at developing

will post cam to el garbage early this week

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

So it seems like the camera spent so long in australia without anyone posting pics that the tumbler is dead and gone http://dorkroom-ae1-world.tumblr.com/ (although hopefully it's not a permanant blip).

Hopefully it was all backed up somewhere!

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Mr. Despair posted:

So it seems like the camera spent so long in australia without anyone posting pics that the tumbler is dead and gone http://dorkroom-ae1-world.tumblr.com/ (although hopefully it's not a permanant blip).

:australia:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Mr. Despair posted:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! no

Backups are not a thing I'm good at. I'll try to get ahold of tumblr and figure this out.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
I still have copies of my pics from the AE-1 and the lovely digicam. Because digital hoarder. :holy:

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.
Same, still have my negatives & scans of this.
The only minor problem will be that I won't be able to exactly figure out which ones I posted to the tumblr.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

SHIP THE AUSCAM

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
If I can find the Lightroom library on whatever computer I was using back when this project was only a year or so old I too can provide my bad photos of Scotland again.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

big scary monsters posted:

If I can find the Lightroom library on whatever computer I was using back when this project was only a year or so old I too can provide my bad photos of Scotland again.
I found these prints of some of your Scotland photos on ebay.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

SHIP THE oh it's not even worth it

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
"Worth it" means different things to different people.

Please ship a camera, somebody.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Cam is back on the move. None of my excuses will justify how long it has taken me to forward it on. Sorry goons. Hopefully elgarbo can bring it back from its state of fossilisation.

Now to find the rolls of film i shot with it.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
:woop:

To avoid an empty post: I am pleased. Thank you.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Holy poo poo the cam has arrived.

I'm gonna play with this thing for a few weeks and then send it on.

@underage at the vape shop you still want thing after me, or any other takers?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Best to get it out of Aus ASAP

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Spedman posted:

Best to get it out of Aus ASAP

Yeah this.

It'd be a good time of year for me but I think I'd rather wait.

What happened with getting the tumblr restored? i want to see peoples photos.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I'd like to be in line for the Gooncam at some point.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Helen Highwater posted:

I'd like to be in line for the Gooncam at some point.

When the camera's been stuck with some goon for longer than you've been a member

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Suicide Watch posted:

When the camera's been stuck with some goon for longer than you've been a member

I was an EveGoon for years before I got an SA account.

• Locked thread