Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

If you send it to me first I won't make a "shoulda been a pentax me super" joke.

But seriously, shoulda been a pentax me super

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

Pentax ME Super by Execudork, on Flickr
I'm much too fond of mine to send it out to a bunch of reprobrates like you!

Swag.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Well it's been sitting in new york for four weeks now and with no updates for a week and a half, so I'd say "surprise".

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

midwest solidarity

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

SoundMonkey posted:

Thread title amended accordingly.

Yes, now the camera can go to wonderful New York instead of being stuck in wonderful New York!

:yayclod:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Well, um... it rained here today. That was pretty exciting.

:smithcloud:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Awkward Davies posted:

Man, I still haven't developed my pictures yet but nonanones are so good I'm not sure I want to.

Just develop your dicpix already, gosh.

ExecuDork posted:

I got emailing to the tumblr to work. Seems fairly straightforward.
For those who have never emailed a post into a tumblr, you simply send an email to a particular email address linked to the tumblr, with the title of the post as the subject line, any photos as attachments, and any text in the body of the email if you like.

I will email the address to people as they announce they have received the camera.

I have Awkward Davies' email address already, nonanone please PM me or email me at (all one word) martin brummell AT msn DOT com. dorkasaurus_rex please do the same when you get the camera.

pim01 thanks for the long-distance shipping offer. I think we'll hold you to it!

Hey can you add a link to the tumber to the OP so it's easier to find the link in the future?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

nielsm posted:

I'm starting to wonder if someone (not me, I don't have any suitable spare cameras) should start one in Europe somewhere, while the Canon is circulating New York City.

fixed it.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

gently caress you lovely database error

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 18, 2012

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

a foolish pianist posted:

I think there are a bunch of us in the midwest. It looks like the camera will get here too late to catch the nice fall colors, though. Maybe it'll bum around Virginia long enough for it to get snowy up here.

Here's the list of midwest folks who've posted:

a foolish pianist: Ann Arbor
Trevor Hale: Chicago
xzzy: Chicago
Man_of_Teflon: Chicago
TomR: Hamilton, Ontario
geeves: Pittsburgh
dakana: Dayton, Ohio
RizieN: Cincinatti
Enter Char: Wisconsin

Wonderful Midwestern states like Pennsylvania and Canada.

(I'm in South Dakota).

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

If I have the camera the week of november 12th I will try and take the camera a mile (almost) underground. Just tossing that out there.

The pics won't be that special underground at all, but at least you can say it was there :buddy:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Someday it'll leave New York.

Someday.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

It's like a game of hot potato, where we get to see which sucker winds up with the dead battery in the camera.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

ShotgunWillie posted:

I've been bugging him and tried to get it before my Thanksgiving drive to Ohio.

Guess who flaaaaaaaaaaked?

Hahahahahahaha. It almost left the state. Almost.

haha.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

nervana posted:

if the logistics work out dont you think a couple more people taking the camera to NJ or whatever will still be okay? they'll have to promise to pass over the camera in a couple days or so though. i dont think people should miss out just because other people took too long

yeah gently caress the midwest

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

ShotgunWillie posted:

Nothing but B&W pictures of my dog is going to happen now.

Purrfect.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

ShotgunWillie posted:

Battery seems to be dead? Put a roll in and advanced it. Now the shutter is stuck and no juice for the battery check at all.

I thought the battery was just replaced? Is this normal, or is it busted?

Pretty sure that was just someone saying he'd put a new battery in once it reached him. I looked through the thread and noone actually said they put a fresh battery in, so my bet would be on a dead battery.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

ShotgunWillie posted:

Went to like 4 stores looking for new one. No joy. Where can I find one?

Isn't it just an lr44 battery? Any watch or hardware store should have that. Any place that sells batteries, really.

Well, 4 lr44's I guess.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

No pressure indeed.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Imagine 4 goons on the edge of a cliff. The first good gets an AE-1 and falls off a cliff, the 3 remaining goons move up a step, and a new goon shows up.

Then they realize the camera fell off the cliff.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Wait waitwaitwait.

Does this mean the camera is leaving New York?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

lol

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

ShotgunWillie posted:

:downs:

Shipped FedEx, tracking number sent.

ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK.

pics or it didn't happ oh who am I kidding

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

pseudonordic posted:

Daaaaamn, I thought we were sending it USPS. :O

Well only if you want something that's faster and cheaper than fedex.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

ShotgunWillie posted:

$27 and 8 days vs $32 and 4 days?

What are you, a republican with that logic? USPS didn't even include tracking or insurance at that price.

The receipt says the box size that you shipped is 10x8x5. You can get a large flat rate box that's 12" x 12" x 5-1/2" (that's inside dimensions, to boot), and it would have shipped to wherever in 2-3 days for about 17 bucks after adding on the tracking number ($15.45 + delivery com + insurance + tax).

There's a reason the USPS is losing money man.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

gently caress the coasts, send it to me (and I'll throw in a few rolls of film with the box when I pass it on).

Qualifications: gently caress all these city folk, I'm going to take pictures of cows in my backyard.

COWSNIPE

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Bob Socko posted:

FedEx has postponed delivery to Wednesday, which means Wednesday evening, which means I'll probably shoot on Thursday.

Given that the camera just hung out in a major metro area for several months, should I go shoot the countryside instead?

Considering that I don't think anyone from NY even uploaded any pictures I don't think it matters what you shoot.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

but seattle could be the new new york!

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Camera Around the Major Metropolitan Areas that lay along significant bodies of water: Interstate Flat Rate Debate

Flyover State Snipe

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

I'm ignoring the northern flyover states because that's just a scribbly line back-and-forth across the Union, which is even less "Around the World" than would be the flush across the gulf coast.

Chime in here, usual "convince us you don't suck" arguments.

Oh, OK then. Cool.

e. just send it to a different country if you don't want to see anything besides the coasts.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 25, 2013

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I've got no problem throwing in a few rolls of film to the box for the next few people after me to use (I have a surplus of fuji 100 right now).

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

And it's fun to push the "flyover states" button, especially considering where I live. The reactions are consistently funny.

:smithicide:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Just buy a pentax ME Super.

e. or a modern film body like a nikon n75 that costs 20 bucks and works with VR and af-s lenses.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 28, 2013

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I'd cover it in pentax stickers but I don't want anyone to try stealing it, thinking it's valuable or something.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

TheLastManStanding posted:

Soooooo......... Is anyone going to send me an address or something? I had hoped to send the camera out tomorrow (saturday) night, since if I don't I won't have time until Tuesday to do so, but I don't have anywhere to send it yet.

Well shoot you can always mail it to me if xzzy doesn't speak up before then. I'll pm you my address just in case xyyz or someone else doesn't notice the thread in time.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I will cut the nameplate off of an ME Super and glue it over the AE-1, don't worry.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I have a roll of kodachrome all set to go . :unsmigghh:

e. although the fixer might take longer to get here than the camera, I forgot to order some fresh stuff.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 5, 2013

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

The camera showed up! It felt a little weird, so I attached an ME Super to it, hopefully it leeches off some goodness.

:getin:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

The FD mount is weird and I want to finish shooting this roll fast so that it doesn't spread to my good cameras.

:gonk:

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I know a guy who does k14 processing.

This guy is me, and my k14 process is actually just hc110 for a few minutes with some vigorous rubbing to get the remjet off or something. I'll probably shoot a roll of color as a backup:ssh:

• Locked thread