Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

I'm in. I'm in Sammamish, WA (98074), so it would probably make sense for either Miso Beno to send it to me or vice versa?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Miso Beno posted:

or we could meet in the middle :3:
Or we could meet in the middle, sure. Sidenote for Execudork - it would be about a 20-25 mile drive for each of us, absolutely doable and realistic.

Exciting things I could photograph include the Twin Peaks waterfall (about fifteen minutes from my house) and the mean streets of Seattle (Pike Place, passive aggressive people). Also, I've never used a film camera outside of some cartridge-based point and shoot I had in the 90s, so we can all have a good laugh while I try to find the image stabilization button.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

I'm torn. On one hand, I'm bummed this is moving so slow. On the other, the camera won't hit the pacific northwest until the spring, so I'll have something more interesting to shoot than the streets of Seattle.

Oh, who am I kidding, I'm just going to take the camera on a walk from my office to Pike Place. The only thing that will change is the farmland I drive through on the way into the city.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

If you ship it to the Pacific Northwest next, I'll run a roll of film through it within a week and either mail it to another PNW goon or, assuming we can properly coordinate the exchange, I'll hand it off to Miso Beno personally - he and I live about an hour apart and aught to be able to work out something. If I don't either ship or give it to someone after one week, well . . . :toxx:

Edit - alternately, send it to Pseudonordic, as leaves are pretty.

Bob Socko fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Nov 26, 2012

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Send the camera to me already. My superpowers include going through a roll of film in a week, uploading photos to a tumblr, and shipping the camera to someone else.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Hey Shotgun, what's your email address? I can send you my address.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Great, email sent.

Bob Socko fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 6, 2013

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Hooray! I'll update the thread when the camera arrives and we'll go from there. Estimated arrival via Fedex is next Tuesday, the 22nd.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Whoa whoa whoa, let's not get ahead of ourselves here. I'm happy to take some photos, but I never said they'd be decent.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

So after I take pictures of my morbidly obese cat, who is the camera going to next? Am I still giving it to Miso Beno? If not, then who?

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

I just want to make sure whomever I send it to is going to use it quickly and pass it on. I'd prefer that they're in the US so I can take advantage of USPS's flat rate box. But speed is more important, I want to reignite the spirit of this little experiment.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Alright, I've got a PM out to Impact Damage requesting his mailing address and reassurances that he'll forward the camera to someone else quickly. If he doesn't get back to me by the time I finish shooting, it's going to TheLastManStanding. If they both die in the next week, I'm going for the wildcard pick of beloved front page writer Josh "Livestock" Boruff, who probably has no idea this thread exists, but does enjoy photography (and is a real-life friend who would enjoy this) (and would still shoot more quickly than most of the NYC folks).

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

I'd love to, but that requires a plane ticket. In all seriousness, he's one of the funniest guys I know and it bums me out that he moved out of state. :(

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

So, funny thing. I just got a PM back from Impact Damage stating that he just moved to - wait for it - New York. So, I'm gonna send it to TheLastManStanding.

LastMan - I have your contact info from the holiday photo exchange, so unless you've moved, you're good. I'll send you a PM with the tracking number once the camera has left my hands.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Doubt it will make it there that fast. FedEx thinks the camera will get to me by Tuesday, and I usually see the FedEx truck in my neighborhood later in the day. I just don't see how I could run a roll of film through it (unless I actually photograph my cat), and get it to the post office, AND have it arrive in NorCal that fast. Even if I paid for overnight shipping, I believe the cutoff time for it is in the early afternoon.

Please send the camera to either Livestock or Chicago after you're done with it.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

FedEx has postponed delivery to Wednesday, which means Wednesday evening, which means I'll probably shoot on Thursday.

Given that the camera just hung out in a major metro area for several months, should I go shoot the countryside instead?

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

ExecuDork posted:

Take whatever pictures you like. Urban, rural, maritime, indoors, outdoors, cats, dogs, iquanas, bugs, people, angry people, whatever.
I know, I just thought I'd offer up some variety.

The camera has made it as far as Oregon, now set to be delivered tomorrow.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

It's here! It's here! Figuring out the ISO selector was a little weird, I was worried I was going to break the control wheel.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

I went to four different stores looking for black and white film - two drugstores, a grocery store, and finally a camera store. No luck. I finally gave up and bought a roll of Kodak Ultramax 400 because I've had good luck shooting at ISO 320 around here. I shot two photos, only to learn that the first two photos are usually burned when you load the film. Oh well.

I'll use most of the roll tomorrow, if not all of it. Depends on if I have time to get to the base of Snoqualmie Falls by 10 AM or not - if not, I'll do it Friday. Either way, the camera will be on its way in a couple of days.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

I figured they would, but I'm out in Sammamish and don't want to drive all that way for one roll of film. I probably could of checked Omega Photo in downtown Bellevue, but I ran out of time today.

Edit - just checked Omega's website, they don't carry B&W film anymore. Glad I didn't make the trip.

Bob Socko fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jan 24, 2013

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Edit - in the time it took me to type up a response while chasing around my toddler, I saw that 8th doesn't want the camera. Thanks for the offer of film, that's a very nice gesture. Hit up the next person who gets it in Seattle?

Bob Socko fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 24, 2013

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Alright, I've shot a roll of film, had it developed, uploaded the photos to my flickr, AND got the camera back to the post office, all within 36 hours. I'll get the photos uploaded to the official tumblr page once I get the email address to do so from ExecuDork.

AE-1-01 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

AE-1-02 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

AE-1-03 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

AE-1-04 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

AE-1-05 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

AE-1-06 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

AE-1-07 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

AE-1-08 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

AE-1-09 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

AE-1-10 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

AE-1-11 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

AE-1-12 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

AE-1-13 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

AE-1-14 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

AE-1-15 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

Now, I don't know if I somehow damaged the roll or if it was defective, but several of my shots just didn't turn out. The camera shop had trouble developing the roll at all, so I guess I'm lucky I didn't lose everything? Here's an example of one of the ones that didn't turn out; unfortunately, it was also going to be my entry into this month's photo contest.

AE-1-blooper1 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

Unfortunately, most of my rural shots (barns, the river) were similarly damaged or completely unrecoverable. As for my photos of Snoqualmie Falls, well . . . the falls were kicking up so much mist that I couldn't get a decent shot at all. They all looked like this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bob Socko fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jan 25, 2013

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Photos are up on the tumblr now, for those of you who are in to that sort of thing. As a reminder, the address is http://dorkroom-ae1-world.tumblr.com.

Anyway, as to where the camera goes next - there are a few US posters in this thread that are posting regularly, seem to want the camera, and I think they'll at least try to get it turned around quickly: xzzy, squidflakes, pseudonordic, and Mr. Despair. Xzzy, at least in theory, also has other goons around. USPS Priority Mail delivers in 2-3 business days, so the camera can move quickly. Finally, the flat rate box I used to send the camera to TheLastManStanding should hold up for a few shipments at least, which means all a recipient has to do is print postage at home (it's cheaper that way) and drop it off at a post office - no worrying about finding a new box, or filling out customs forms, or any of that malarkey.

So, after TheLastManStanding is done with it, I suggest the camera be passed between squidflakes, pseudonordic, and Mr. Despair in whatever order they see fit. After them, it goes to xzzy. When he's done with it, he can either see if the other Chicago goons will shoot quickly or not. If not, xzzy sends it overseas.

Thoughts?

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

ExecuDork posted:

Sounds good to me. My only worry is that people will use the entirely legitimate, large difference in cost between within-USA and international shipping to imprison the camera within the USA. Eventually, I'd like it to cross an ocean, repeatedly.
I suggested Texas because, months ago, a collection of Texa-goons was forming in this thread. Something about a 4-way meetup in Odessa?

And it's fun to push the "flyover states" button, especially considering where I live. The reactions are consistently funny.
Texas is a good idea, and maybe it should be shipped to Squidflakes last. There are multiple Texas goons, including Elite Taco who is willing to bite the bullet and ship it overseas.

Maybe make it a countdown, say it can only be shipped 4 more times before it has to leave the country? LastMan to xzzy to Mr. Despair to Pseudonordic to Squidflakes is four hops, Squidflakes hands it to Elite Taco, Elite Taco sends it on its way.

By the time it makes it back to the US, places like Chicago will be out of the winter and should allow for more variety in shots.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

I don't expect anyone to turn it around in 36 hours. I did it to prove that this camera exchange, with goons, is a viable idea, and to breathe a little more life into the thread. A week is perfectly reasonable for a turnaround time, and it is realistic for the camera to reach 3-4 individuals in a month (barring international shipping). If you want the camera but don't think you can shoot a roll of film in a week or so, it is ok to pass on the camera for now. Look at Miso Beno, for example. He's buying a house, and that's a horrible time sink. He knows he can't get the camera turned around in a reasonable amount of time, and said so. Kudos to him for that.

Also, this project made me seriously consider buying a film SLR. I don't know if I will or not, but I really like the grainy look of what I shot, and the Maxxum 9 goes for $300ish. :allears: But then, I'd want to send it to Germany so it can be upgraded at the one remaining facility with the parts to make it autofocus with Sony's USM implementation, and and and . . . oh, this hobby.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

If I do get a film body, I'd prefer to stick with Minolta so I don't have to buy another set of lenses. In-lens anti shake would be nice, though.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

I was thinking a Maxxum 9 because it was the last of the pro-grade cameras to come out of Minolta before they went digital and were sold to Sony. Plus, if I go for the absolute top-of-the-line model right off the bat, I won't find myself in another upgrade loop like I am with my DSLR gear. Going cheap would be easy - KEH has 9 Maxxum bodies priced at $25 or less, including one priced at $1.99.

But, this is probably derailing the thread. :)

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

ThisQuietReverie posted:

If for whatever reason I was tasked with filming a post apocalyptic movie, I'd make it in Ranger.

All but like 4 businesses on main street are abandoned and everything else is falling apart. There are building actively collapsing right in the middle of town, I've never seen anything like it. There is a shoe store on main that somebody apparently just walked away from, the shoes are all still in the windows and on the walls. There is some sort of store right next to it that you can walk into through a ~6x10 foot hole in the back wall of the store that people just throw their garbage into.

If you ever make it out that way stop in at Fox's General Store (supplying chainsaws to coffins, as advertised) and have a talk with the man that runs it. He couldn't take L.A. traffic anymore so he bought a general store, sight unseen, and moved his family out to the middle of nowhere, Texas. Somewhere I have an hour of interview footage of a lady in a motorized wheelchair that had rolled up to find out what I was taking photos of and why. She had been undergoing surgeries to help correct her legs and knees that were mangled in a car crash that had killed her sister. Her last remaining family member was her brother who lived in Ranger so she moved there to be with him and he had just died so she was trying to figure what she was going to do.

What I'm saying is you should take the camera down for a visit with your relatives.
I wish there were cities like this near me, I'd love to spend the day snooping and shooting. :(

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

A lot of the abandoned towns near Seattle were demo'd when the local railway/mine/lumbermill pulled out, or simply rotted away - the climate here is hell on wooden structures. I've had an on-again, off-again project to try and figure out what happened to the town of Galena, but there's so little to go off of that I may not even be able to find the site. It's on some old railroad maps, but not others, and the maps are poor enough that I can only narrow things down to within a mile or two. Even then, the only building I know they had was a log-cabin hotel, not sure if it had a stone foundation or not. Last time I tried to make it there, part of the road had been overtaken by a mountain stream and was impassable for my buddies and I.

There are some good ghost-esque towns in eastern Washington and north-central Oregon, but I'm looking at anywhere from 2-4 hours if driving, each way. Mines are a better bet, and I've got a lead on a good one within a half hour of here. There's a huge derelict Weyerhauser mill near me, but a local rally cross school uses the grounds to practice, so they have staff on site from time to time. I spent about half an hour watching the site from a hill to figure out where the security guard hangs out, but I never spotted him - only his truck. The last thing I need is some backwoods sherriff and a rent-a-cop breaking my balls.

Bob Socko fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Feb 2, 2013

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Please send it to Pseudonordic.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Norway is the Bestway and I'm exited to see the photos that come from there.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Hay guys, how's the camera exchange thing going?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

~+*GOON PROJECTS*+~

Bumping because my wife just dug her Dad's old SLR out of the storage room. Turns out it's an AE-1 with a 50mm f/1.8 attached, complete with some Tri-X that expired in 1998. Reminded me of this project, and how easy it is to shoot a roll of film, develop/scan/post it, and then go to the post office.

Mail it back to the states? Hell, I'll take it again.

• Locked thread