Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I never did end up finishing Umineko, I caught up to the translation after Episode 6 and just never got around to getting 7/8. It'll be interesting to see all the newer portraits and how they handle certain scenes with improved art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Plus, there doesn't seem to be any evidence that the island is particularly valuable - it's obviously a pain in the rear end to get to given the opening scenes, it appears to be somewhat vulnerable to extreme weather, and it's one of many in the area, of which none seem to have been deemed worthy of expanding on by some hotel chain or tourist company. Outside of some private vanity-project like Kinzo's, it seems like there's not much you could use it for, and combined with his having excellent connections with both the occupying forces and presumably the Japanese government, he could probably get it fairly cheap (for an island).

Anyway, I've always found that the adults' scenes at this point are much more entertaining than the kids, which was nice since Battler's at this point giving off lovely-anime-protagonist vibes (which thankfully disappear once things get serious). Having actually interesting and non-juvenile/annoying (ugh Maria) stuff going on helped me get to the good parts for sure.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
With the last update and this one, we're finally getting into the meat of the game. I must say, this update is the first one where I've thought new backgrounds were missing something compared to the old ones. The garden looks out of place with all that sunlight when apparently it's cloudy, windy and slightly raining at that point. Not a big deal though, and I'm expecting new backgrounds for when the typhoon actually hits.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Umineko definitely has an issue with slow build-up in some of its episodes, but at least it's understandable here given it has to establish setting/characters. And it generally pays off by the end.

Also, yeah, that's definitely a weird Maria-face.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I was mildly disappointed that with the updated artstyle/CGs they still didn't include any for the gory scenes (well, not this one at least), but I guess it's not too bad - the imagination is often better than a goofy picture after all.

With an actual crime committed now, it's possible for speculation to start in earnest. One interesting thing to ponder so far is why Shannon and Krauss didn't have their faces fully smashed. While the faked-death explanation is somewhat thin anyway (where would any of the apparent dead find a convenient body-double with similar proportions/hair on the island? Older corpses would have been obviously decomposing to even non-experts by now surely), only smashing 4 faces instead of all 6 would just make the culprit more vulnerable to being discovered if the survivors consider the theory, and for no apparent gain. And it doesn't appear to have any relation to the epitaph, which was nowhere near that specific, so it has no obvious occult explanation either.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Autumncomet posted:

Additionally, all of the murders were in the mansion, which rules out the cousins and the rest of the servants and puts suspicion on whoever changed the schedule. Who, now I think of it, probably was Genji since he seems to be the head servant!

I'm ruling out Beatrice and possession/magic stuff at the moment because we don't know enough about that. :mad:

Well, I'd the servants in the guesthouse can't really be excluded, it wouldn't be hard for one of them to sneak out and back to the mansion.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Anastasiya posted:

Wait. What?

"No, no, no, that's not how it happened. Let's try that again."

So basically, this entire section of the game is here to confuse the viewers further, since we learned very little that can be seen as absolutely reliable, and instead we go into the next scenario with (most likely) false preconceptions. Nice.

Well as mentioned at the end of the update we still have an unlocked extra left, so we're not going into the next episode quite yet. The ending was certainly full of ambiguous/untrustworthy info though - it's completely obvious that the letter could have been written by pretty much anyone, for example, to the point where the game didn't even pretend otherwise.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I'd say the opening to the second episode is Umineko's weakest from a sheer engagement-standpoint. The first episode needed to introduce the characters, and had the benefit of the reader not going through the actual murders yet. Once you're through episode 1, all you want to do is find out more about what's going on, and see some more action/cool character moments/more awesome music, and instead it's just boring romance exposition in scene after scene. The openings to later episodes never really comes close to the drudgery here as far as I remember, and episode 2 also has a particularly large amount of text dedicated to it.

I can't remember if we're ready to actually get on with things yet, but hopefully it'll be soon at least.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Alright, the good parts have started again. It's been a while since I played Umineko, so I hope Episode 3 has a better opening when we get there.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Rosa continuing to cement her position as parent of the year. And of course, Kinzo is already getting hosed over by his own paranoia.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Dr Pepper posted:

I dunno, I think meeting Beatrice when she's running around ready to kill a bunch of people to resurrect her might lead to him dying. Keeping himself sealed away in a room protected from supernatural influence is a pretty good way to guarantee his safety. Not doing anything dumb like leaving or letting anybody in like last time is the best way to survive his gamble. He's waited decades for Beatrice to come back, he can lock himself away for two days in order to guarantee he'll see her again.

Eh, from his dialogue so far in episode 1 + 2 we know that A: he apparently is willing to die if only he can see Beatrice again, and B: the whole thing is apparently a big gamble to him, and judging by the events of episode 1 his odds probably aren't that good. I doubt he'd turn down a chance to see her even if it came with risks.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

blankd posted:

Or Rosa could have just faked her death and Nanjo is the accomplice since he was the only one that really checked the shed bodies. :v: (Right??)

I'd bet on Nanjo being the accomplice because he's alive for fairly long in the 1st round.

Even then they'd need a body, given that Nanjo, while the one with the most expertise, and making the closest examination, was hardly the only person to see the corpses up close. You could probably get away with a not-too-similar corpse if he was an accomplice, but nothing less.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
The thread's not dead!

It's revealing that all the adults assume Beatrice is after the inheritance, despite nothing but circumstantial evidence (the fact she showed up when Kinzo's close to death) for that.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Wouldn't be Umineko without plenty of petty squabbling in between the murdering parts. Gohda was pretty much created for this.

And we're heading for the action finally!

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Well, Kyrie has been established as someone who seems well-versed in the kind of thinking you'd want to solve mysteries, so I wouldn't say that statement is out of character.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I keep thinking we've seen all the furniture scenes but they keep coming up and killing the pacing. Hopefully there aren't a bunch more I've forgotten.

Anyway, the final scene is interesting, if only for this: there are 7 people in the church not counting Beatrice, which means at least one of them will survive the first twilight, with whatever they saw.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Oh yes, awesome music and killing, that's how you know the episode has properly started. It's interesting that we get Kinzo scenes even after the murders started this time, unlike the first episode. I think anyway, I guess I might just have forgot if there was any.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
This is probably the easiest mystery in the series from what I remember, so I appreciate the game resolving in it one scene so as to not make Battler seem too slow to have a chance by needing ages to think of a solution.

And yeah, this is definitely the proper start of the games.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Even more splitting up? You'd think they might learn...even if Genji had a 'good' excuse this time, and the others a decent reason to move.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I really like this update, despite Battler's eventual capitulation into a clueless wreck, him being cornered like that still brought out some fire from him, and board-Battler almost even gave in and started suspecting someone he knew! You go Battler!

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

KamikazePotato posted:

I think overall people list Episode 2 as their least favorite of the original four, but I still really like it to this day.

Well, that's mostly down to the slow beginning. It definitely drags down the overall impression for most people.

Almost to chapter 3 now!

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Another Episode, another opening. This one promises more immediate action than Episode 2 at least!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
We're on the island already! I'm definitely looking forward to the better pacing of this episode after episode 2, hard to wait for the next update even now. Eva definitely has one of the harsher back-stories of the cast, though to be fair only four of them grew up with Kinzo as dad and so the others would obviously have a hard time comparing.

• Locked thread