Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Stumbling across this thread spurred me to go back and finish the anime.

I am really interested to see how the VN handles things. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Here is what you need to know about the Ushiromiya patriarch:

The TV series' closing theme is called 'Kinzo's Rock Opera Madhouse of Divine Tragedy'

and this is entirely appropriate.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Back when the Umineko anime was airing, all anyone talked about was how badly the studio hosed it up. Now that I'm caught up with the LP, I'd disagree. Thus far it's been a reasonably good adaptation. I don't expect this to last, mind you--the anime had all the hallmarks of a rushed, last second rear end-pull of an ending. Now the LP has me interested in giving the game another look, but I really don't want to spend hours and hours going over stuff I've already seen.

So, to those of you familiar with both, at what point does the anime go completely off the rails as far as the original story goes? What chapter of the game should I start with?

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Sir, I'll have you know I've been happily wed to a chaise longue for many a year. Take your hate speech elsewhere!

And hey, I finally caught up with the LP. Comparing this with Higurashi, the author seems heavily invested in themes of trust vs. paranoia. It's... weirdly uplifting in its way. You know, behind all the gore and insanity.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Shiny777 posted:

I'm not sure if this is a Ryukishi thing in general, as I'm not very familiar with his other stuff, but it's definitely a When They Cry thing that no one is allowed to have a non-terrible family. I'm trying to think of a major character in either whose family is at all important and whose relationship with them isn't some form of hosed up, and all that comes to mind is...Keichii, I think? And maybe Rika? It's been long enough that it's entirely possible I'm forgetting something horrible about those families, though.

Don't forget Rosa after beatings from Krauss. Or Maria after Rosa's episodes.
Even the outrageous gore we've seen (read?) so far doesn't phase me much, but I wince whenever Rosa starts in on the emotional abuse. It's made even more painful by the implication she doesn't hate her daughter, but sometimes she gets so mad that she just... can't... help it. For all the crazy poo poo that goes down in his games, details like that cut the deepest. Glad you're still going with this. I need to go back to my playthrough now that you're catching up.

Was this posted in the thread yet?
Interview with Ryukishi07 (in Japanese, w. English subtitles)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Amusement, I assume. Seems like the only reason powerful other-worldly beings do anything in 07th Expansion games. Either that or the dude just legit loves baking. Demons got hobbies too, y'know?

• Locked thread