Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost Car
Sep 14, 2009
I'm glad to see this being LPed! I've been curious about it for a while, but I couldn't get into the show at all and, given that, the VN had a bit too high of a price tag for me to want to take a chance on it.

There sure are some, uh, interesting translation choices here, though. Like, why do we need to be given everyone's name in kanji upon their introduction? I'd assume most of the intended audience for the English translation doesn't read Japanese, so it's just so many meaningless scribbles. At least with the Ushiromiya family and their Western-name-written-in-kanji schtick it's at least sort of relevant (though as a translator I'd still go with "My/his/her name is written with the characters for X, Y, and Z" over just dumping the kanji in there), but why do that for the servants?

(:goonsay:)

quote:

Are Japan's speed limits way lower or something?

I know you're probably being flippant rather than actually looking for an answer, but in the part of Japan I lived in, yes, they were noticeably lower than US speed limits on comparable roads. So maybe cars really don't go fast enough to trigger Battler's weird vehicle-phobia, who knows. Or maybe he just has an issue with modes of transportation that don't touch the ground?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Car
Sep 14, 2009

Jeek posted:

I was referring to the "Nanko is conspiring with the killer who plays dead" part, which is an important point of the plot in one of Christie's most famous stories.

I'm pretty sure Rodyle knows exactly what you were referring to, given that "murders on an isolated island with a mansion" is also the setup of the book in question.

I also feel like Ryukishi07 has mentioned Agatha Christie as an inspiration at some point, but I may be misremembering--it's been several years since I was into Higurashi enough to pay attention to stuff like that.

Ghost Car
Sep 14, 2009

Prison Warden posted:

The problem I have with that theory is that, from a meta-level, it is very similar to the twist in Higurashi and I don't think the author would retread the same ground, it would seem lazy.

Yeah, not every VN writer is Kotaro Uchikoshi. :v:

Walterion posted:

As much as I'd like that, I'd rather have 07th expansion themselves posting it up on greenlight, not Mangagamer.

Even if they did the english translation of the series, which is cool, it would avoid possible issues if the other company didn't know about it/doesn't approve of it.

That the publishers of the officially licensed translation just went ahead and stuck it up there without okaying it with the owner of the IP seems like a slightly odd conclusion to jump to. Unless Mangagamer has a history of doing stuff like that or something?

• Locked thread