Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Walterion
Feb 26, 2010
I don't know how I should feel about this, but I guess this will be good to show to the rest of the people, since it will just spark up some debate later on.

But I am glad as well for those who didn't hear about the series that want to read it, it's an okay series overall and the anime do much justice (try compressing about 100 hours of text, images and music into 26 episodes of 24 minutes each).

One tip though, once things happen, don't stop thinking.

EDIT: forgot to say as well, as soon as a piece of music shows up, please listen to it (just like another person said), since it creates the perfect atmosphere for the events that are happening.

Walterion fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Aug 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010

Elite posted:

So how long does it take for poo poo to get real? I play videogames to get away from the mundane dammit!

I'm also getting increasingly convinced that VN writers are paid by the word.

Roughly, it would take a little bit till things start going badly. Then it gets REAL after it went badly.

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010
Oh Gohda, how I love to hate you.

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010

Rodyle posted:

Not being able to comment on stuff due to spoilers is killing me.

Yeah, I know what you mean about that. Episode 1 is slow in that aspect and doesn't go fast enough for someone to start going all over the place.

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010

toanoradian posted:

Wait, Seacats :confused: I thought it was "seagulls".

it is Seagulls, but Umineko can be read as Umi, for sea, and neko, for cat.

Thus, Seacats. It works both ways anyway. You will see afterwards about the entire reader trolling thing going on, it happens way later this episode.

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010

blankd posted:

Oh boy I am looking forward to even MORE family politics, reading this is certainly "heavier" than how the anime handled the scene.

Shiny/OP have you watched the anime? If so will you be pointing out where some of the differences or otherwise parts where the anime fudged it? If not would you mind if others who have watched it point out the difference? (I'm not sure myself so I'm not sure how much I could contribute.)

This is actually interesting to point out and I'd probably lend a hand on that as well.

Even though I did like the anime overall, cause it provided a more visual approach to the whole thing, there are some stuff that had to be cut in order to get the point through.

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010
So we have reached Kinzo? This man shines so brightly later on, so you can expect alot from him. But we are still long ways from reaching the conflict point of this episode, which I can't wait for it to happen.

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010
This whole ''how Kinzo got to be the head of the family'' speech isn't adapted at all in the anime. May not be important but it adds depth to what you will expect of the Head of the family.

The adult intellectual talk is something interesting and becomes even more interesting further in, specially how Eva ends up being overall about it.

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010

The GIG posted:

To be fair, most of the cast is at least some shade terrible human being.

They show that shade of gray slowly, very slowly.

Also, in this episode, 10 tons of gold out of no where to buy shortcake.

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010

Shiny777 posted:

Update's being worked on, is near done, it will be up tomorrow unless something goes catastrophically wrong. Turns out, giant updates and the semester's first decent sized pile of work mix poorly, especially when I lose one of my best chances to work on it by forgetting the flash drive like a dumbass.

Anyway, kinda need a new page for it since there are already two updates on this one, and I did promise to provide a look at the voices. So I'm gonna partially deliver on that.

Don't worry! There's not much expectation since nothing interesting hasn't been happening so far, but once we reach the night of this day, then that's when the expectation goes up.

Also, probably providing a view from the anime aside of certain scenes would be good enough for this as well.

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

Oh yay, we can finally talk about how Rosa is a terrible mother. It's not Umineko without that.

I do really like that scene though, it's pretty much the first time the game flat out says Maria isn't ~kawaii~, but there's actually something serious there.

Rosa gets her moments with Maria, specially scolding her hard. It goes both ways though, later on.

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

I will say this, by Episode 4 the story gives you everything you need to solve it. (This applies to every mystery in Umineko, by the way :v:)

Too bad that is the point where all the nightmares begin and theories pop up.

The game uses a different definition about this whole thing too.

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010

blankd posted:

I really am curious how the riddle will be solved, but that really is a long way off with the way the anime handled it, I still don't understand what the solution is or how it can be approached

I don't think it's a spoiler to say they just brushed off addressing HOW it could be solved at all, even when the anime ended I still had no better clues on how the riddle worked.

Once you see the solution, the anime is a good enough hint to find solve it.

Hell, I can tell you the anime slaps you several times in the face with this whole thing, too bad alot of it had to be left out. And I can tell you that after reading all 8 episodes and rewatching the series.

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010

blankd posted:

Welp, I'll wait until the solution shows up proper, maybe I'll feel exceptionally silly about not figuring it out- unless I'm misreading what you're saying?

Don't feel silly cause it's meant to be hard, but the amount of hints they toss you is exceptionally high.

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010
Oh boy, it's about to start. Here's when everything starts becoming more and more weird.

Who gave Maria the umbrella? Nobody? someone is lying? Is Maria lying?

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010

sokamish posted:

Finally got my hands on this game and I LOVE the music that came up during the conversation at the table. Serious conversation about witches/lying? NOPE! *doom-digga doom digga doom digga...* Maybe it breaks atmosphere from "serious" a little too much, but I love it.

The music from Umineko is quite good, it's one of those things that you end up listening to outside the game and then remembering certain scenes where the track is played, or when a certain mood change happens and a specific track will be played for said thing.

Dr Pepper posted:

Beatrice gave it to her, obviously. :v:

A witch? Impossible.

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010

Omniphile posted:

Wow, that Maria-letter-reading voice is a lot better, even if it sounds nothing like a 9-year-old. The combination of that music and that voice acting is amazing.

Fishy aroma, originally called ''Letter reading theme'', does that in this series.

So, we reached the headstart of this wild trip, a letter was given to Maria by Beatrice the golden witch and the 10 tons of gold are in place as a bet.
Kinzo doesn't have his head ring, according to Nanjo, and Battler is unable to joke about anything.

This is a normal day at the Ushiromiya's.

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010

jonjonaug posted:

You can figure that out without Chiru, but a lot of the hints to the why-dunnit (arguably the "point" of Umineko) are a lot easier to miss.

When we reach Chiru, I will express my feelings about it. I will just say this, it feels rather off in several points.

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010

LeeDless posted:

Trying to be as non-spoilery as possible, I can say that's entirely deliberate on the part of the author. You'll want to keep an eye out for that kind of thing in the future.

There's alot of stuff happening in the series after a while, and I think part of the theory making gets shut down by other theorymakers who may or may not take what is said the wrong way.

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010

slowbeef posted:

I'm asking for a retraction, my bad. It got reported and I didn't look closely enough at whose thread it was, etc.

I think the timing couldn't be any better, the letter of the witch was read and the first victim was claimed, the OP of this thread.

Witches are truly scary.

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

On the bright side, he doesn't have a Stupid Newbie avatar anymore. :allears:

Having Battler as an avatar is not much of an improvement, I think it's a downgrade in some shape or form.

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010

Jeek posted:

OP can certainly use a Kinzo avatar. It would be an improvement in every shape and form imaginable.

Kinzo is the right choice, it can't never go wrong with him. I mean, he managed to get 10 ton of gold, he is the man of this business.

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010
The night sets, the stage of endless madness begins. There are a couple of things thrown at us that we will end up using as a base for what will happen next.

The anime series will help, a little bit, in solving some of the stuff that will show up later, though don't link anything here cause it got recently licensed, so we will settle with MS paint drawings or something to get the point through.

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010

klapman posted:

My greatest regret about this series is not bothering to really think about the mysteries the first time I read. It's going to be fantastic to watch the goon hive-mind have at it - it's the only way I can even slightly imagine the Epitaph being solved before it's spelled out in plain sight. Looking forward to an elegant night week ten thousand year long LP. You might have to have a megathread from the sheer amount of content you're going to be posting and the constant theorizing, man.

I think there will be more moderation about it as well, cause I do know of places that they go wild about it and just can't accept other people's theories.

That is quite sickening sometimes.

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010
IT BEGINS.

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010
In terms of length, so provide an equivalence here, what you all previously read is exactly 1 episode, 14 minutes and 30 seconds in the anime. Which is not that bad, but it did really cut alot of background.

I'm debating about what so to in the next part, to aid a lil bit.

Edit:

Maybe related, but Nisa America anounced the preorder pack for the anime series. 103 dolars for the whole series + extra materials.

I guess it's not THAT bad.

Walterion fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Nov 2, 2012

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010

Kytrarewn posted:

Based on the fact that what took several hours to read took place in 15 minutes in the anime (per earlier report), I'm sure there's a whole lot even to what little I saw than I had been exposed to.

Well, it's like almost 40 minutes, since it's an episode and 14 minutes of the next one. Although the VN to Anime adaptation doesn't become so evident till later on, when BIG chunks of plot are missing, which are vital to solve the core of the story. When we reach that point, which maybe around next year, I will bring it up again with more detail.

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010

Anastasiya posted:

But looking at the Ushiromiya family, I have a very important question. How much incest should I expect? On a scale of 1 (those cousins are a bit too flirty) to 5 (your father is also your uncle and possibly your cousin).

1, Battler is the only one that flirts with other people cause it's his defining character trait, so far.

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010
The poo poo storm began.

What I found the most creepy out of the VN is the updated Bio, it gets even more creepy as we move on.

This scene, as in, the one on the garden shed is important to look at. Someones pictures speak louder than words.

I will contribute on that aspect with the following clip.

Viewer warning: Graphical gore.

Via polsy: Six by the shed

Walterion fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Nov 9, 2012

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010

Eldataluta posted:

While it's nice that the bios update to contain information about the victims, I can't help but feel that putting red blotches over their faces is a little tasteless. I'm not saying I can think of a better way to handle something like that. It was just the first thought that popped into my head.

They couldn't have it done in another way, if not it would have been too graphical.

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010

LeeDless posted:

If Shiny777 completes this LP I'm not sure if he could fit all of the links for the updates and soundtracks into his second post. Not even with 50,000 characters available.

He will work it out when the time comes. for sure.

You can always put it as [1;1] [1;2] and so on. Soundtracks tend to repeat at times, and he can just make a post later after the entire episode is done with all the soundtracks used for that episode, with a link on the OP to said post.

And now I got the urge to rewatch the anime series so that I can be accurate with the events at hand.

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010

TheArchimage posted:

This may not be a good idea. There are both small and large differences between the anime and the games which may or may not be significant.

Oh, I know how everything goes. I watch it cause I seriously love the voice acting in the series, they kinda improved the whole thing for me in general.

If you even have the chance of playing the PS3 version of the VN, or if the improved PC patch, you will get my point as well.

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010

Rodyle posted:

So what you're saying is, it's paafecto?

We will go with that.

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010

Fightest posted:

It just seems right to me to imagine Kinzo going around the bedrooms like an absinthe-fueled Terminator stabbing his progeny in the eyes with a letter opener--

I wouldn't put it past Kinzo.

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010

Anastasiya posted:

It's less a mark and more just blood and scratches. I think the magic charm is more of a red herring/atmospheric thing that's supposed to add fuel to the magic/not magic fire. I think it's more likely Natsuhi just locked her door. There's no direct mention of locking/unlocking in the narrative, but she's really big on the locking thing, right? She's the one who made the servants lock up the house every night, so she's likely to lock her door while no one else does.

I will second this part, what's on Natsuhi's door are bloody hand prints all across the door, it is shown perfectly on the anime series.

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010
So, where to start. This is a fairly decent update, so we have to break it down to simple things:

Maria doesn't care about Rosa being dead, for reasons unknown to humans. Drop the ball by saying ''They are the xxxx chosed by the xxxx'' line.

There's only 1 key and it's on the servant's room.

Eva gains alot from this, since she would become the head of the family.

There's a possibility that the murderer is one of the 12 remaining people, since nobody else was in the island aside from them.

Battler, shamelessly, steals Kirie's turning the chessboard and uses it to get nowhere.

Kinzo left to study to play hide and seek or to pick up the morning newspaper. One of the two is probably true.

And that's about it, really. 11 people and a creepy little girl can't do much against something that can carry 6 bodies into a closed garden shed in the middle of the night.

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010
We go deeper and deeper in this murder case. This is not a normal murder case, this is an occult murder case, with 6 bodies as the offering for the circle.

It is facinating that she can say all that occult stuff, but can't get rid of her ''uuu-'' tic. Split personalities and all that jazz.

So, who is most likely the culprit? Dunno, if Maria knows about the occult, someone else aside from Kinzo could have done it easily.

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010

Kreeblah posted:

Dunno whether anybody has pointed this out, but that circle is actually a real occult thing (check figure 38).

Ayup, that's not the only thing that is real in this series.

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010

Fightest posted:

Yes, but why mark only Natsuhi's door?

Ran out of red paint and they forgot to place an order for a new one.

This whole post killing talk is interesting, but the kitchen scene is even more interesting. It actually tells you straight fowardly that someone under the name of Beatrice is running around the island and probably performing these acts of occult murder, and this is comming from the servants of the house hold.

Also, in reality, to be able to carry 6 bodies into the shed without being detected nor leaving a marks on the floor, other than the ones in the dining room, is quite a feat. Considering how large some of the victims were, it would need at least 2 people to carry them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010

LeeDless posted:

That reminds me. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=93962591&searchtext=higurashi

Could everybody with a Steam account please up-vote this? Maybe one day we could see a Steam release for Umineko.

As much as I'd like that, I'd rather have 07th expansion themselves posting it up on greenlight, not Mangagamer.
Even if they did the english translation of the series, which is cool, it would avoid possible issues if the other company didn't know about it/doesn't approve of it.

• Locked thread