Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

toanoradian posted:

Goddamn that is a ton of text. Also a lot of ellipses. Is this common in visual novels (although this is more of a 'kinetic' novel?) or is this just normal for Japanese literature?

Are you going to transcribe every single thing said in this game? I hope not, that sounds like a really tiring thing to do :ohdear: I am interested in seeing if the infamous Umineko really deserves its fame for allegedly trolling its readers.

Wait, Seacats :confused: I thought it was "seagulls".

I believe he said he's using a text dump.

Also yeah, ellipses seems to be a Japanese thing, although I'm not sure if you'd see it in actual literature (as it either wouldn't happen, or the translators would axe it.) And Umineko literally means Seacats, although it actually means Seagulls. It's a joke amongst the Western fanbase to call it Seacats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

There's one choice at the end of the 8th episode which determines which ending you get, beyond that it's all linear.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The first music link of the update is busted, nothing plays on the tindeck link.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Here's the translation of the first part of his letter to Witch Hunt for the curious, I left out the rest because of some minor spoilers.

Ryuukishi07 posted:

I did not think that our "Umineko no Naku Koro ni" would be played even by all of you in foreign countries, and I am very surprised. Also, I am deeply moved by the passion which drove you to translate a tale that long into English.

Thank you for loving "Umineko no Naku Koro ni" so much!

If by your English translation patch, English-speaking people can also enjoy this work, it would make me very pleased.

I believe I will warmly watch over your actions hereafter.
And I would appreciate it if you would continue to enjoy "Umineko no Naku Koro ni".

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Oh yay, we can finally talk about how Rosa is a terrible mother. It's not Umineko without that.

I do really like that scene though, it's pretty much the first time the game flat out says Maria isn't ~kawaii~, but there's actually something serious there.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Here's the original Japanese epitaph if anyone wants to fail at theorizing. Because you won't solve it:

懐かしき、故郷を貫く鮎の川。
黄金郷を目指す者よ、これを下りて鍵を探せ。

川を下れば、やがて里あり。
その里にて二人が口にし岸を探れ。
そこに黄金郷への鍵が眠る。

鍵を手にせし者は、以下に従いて黄金郷へ旅立つべし。

第一の晩に、鍵の選びし六人を生贄に捧げよ。
第二の晩に、残されし者は寄り添う二人を引き裂け。
第三の晩に、残されし者は誉れ高き我が名を讃えよ。
第四の晩に、頭をえぐりて殺せ。
第五の晩に、胸をえぐりて殺せ。
第六の晩に、腹をえぐりて殺せ。
第七の晩に、膝をえぐりて殺せ。
第八の晩に、足をえぐりて殺せ。
第九の晩に、魔女は蘇り、誰も生き残れはしない。
第十の晩に、旅は終わり、黄金の郷に至るだろう。

魔女は賢者を讃え、四つの宝を授けるだろう。
一つは、黄金郷の全ての黄金。
一つは、全ての死者の魂を蘇らせ。
一つは、失った愛すらも蘇らせる。
一つは、魔女を永遠に眠りにつかせよう。

安らかに眠れ、我が最愛の魔女ベアトリーチェ。

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

sokamish posted:

so, after just marathoning this thread I very much want to get this for myself, but when i go to the witch hunt download page and click to download the japanese thing, it puts me to a site that says "Access Forbidden
Your question/comment has been sent."
Can anyone tell me either how to fix this or where else I can download it? and how much would it be to buy it in that case, this "game" seems worth getting for myself.

You sure you followed the right links? I did it for myself, and I ended up here, which doesn't seem to have any problems.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

sokamish posted:

when i click on that it takes me here which says the same access forbidden for some reason. is it because i live in the US or something? i don't really know.

That's odd. Are you using a proxy or anything that could make the site think you're in some random country? Because the site is only available in certain countries, but the USA is one of them. I'm Canadian though, so I can't actually confirm that one.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

I find it odd that Shiny was put on probation. With the reason being he did not read the op and posted spoilers. The guy made the op and I don't think he posted spoilers (other then that black thing but no clue what that is.)

I think Slowbeef didn't realize Shiny777 was the OP. I had a good laugh when I saw it though, can't say I've ever seen an OP probated for spoiling his own LP before.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Man, I hate the crazy faces some of the CGs have. It feels like they're aping the crazy Deen faces from the Higurashi anime, and they weren't very good there.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Nov 20, 2012

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Battler wasn't attending the family conferences at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't formally consider him an Uroshimiya.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Oh boy, we're finally at the point where things start getting weird. The real Umineko starts here.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

I found this over the weekend, and got pulled into a pretty deep hole. Has this LP died? If so, I think I'm going to get hold of the games myself.

Nah, it's always goes a long time between updates before being resurrected. I mean, it might be a good idea to buy them anyway depending on how eager you are to play them, but it's probably not dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the simple explanation of hempel's raven is that it's a paradox that goes somewhat as follows:

if you're trying to prove all ravens are black, that's equivalent to proving the contrapositive: anything that's not black is not a raven. so if you have anything that's both not black and not a raven, say a green apple, that's evidence in favor of "anything that's not black is not a raven" and by extension "all ravens are black". the paradox is that this means the existence of a green apple is evidence that all ravens are black, which is weird.

the parodoxical nature of the thing isn't really relevant in how umineko applies it though, so beatrice explaining it poorly/wrong is irrelevant

• Locked thread