Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Love? Justice? Pah! I'll crush them all!
Ahhh, a mindscrew VN LP just in time for Remember11 finishing. I'm looking forward to reading this, especially as every spoiler I've ever encountered for this series has been too :psyduck: for me to make heads or tails of.

Also, Maria seems to act more like a 4-year-old than a 9-year-old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

I think a lot of it's in how much less round his face is.

Also, octuple-ellipses with commas immediately before or after? That's some uu-levels of terrible verbal tic.

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

As far as I know, that's exactly how absinthe is prepared.

Kinzo is hardcore batshit awesome.

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

I think that as long as the tourists get to sample Kinzo's special absinthe stash it might be worth the trip.

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

So far we've got:

Kinzo- Hates everything that ever sprang from his loins, also an insane alcoholic
Battler- Hits on his own cousin(s)
Gohda- Huge douchebag to Shannon
Eva- Pompous, vindictive jerk to Krauss and Natsuhi

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Wow, Eva and Natsuhi do not look their ages at all.

That uu sound is pretty intolerable. If Rosa could just get that witch's gold she could take Maria to a speech therapist! :downs:

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Wow, that Maria-letter-reading voice is a lot better, even if it sounds nothing like a 9-year-old. The combination of that music and that voice acting is amazing.

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Welp, that sure is a creepy power-abuse relationship George has there. And Kanon should make like a futon and not talk. His level of self-loathing is only matched by the level of loathing he apparently has for everyone else, which obviously means that if Maria doesn't pan out Kinzo should name him his successor.

Day 2 should be promising.

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

LeeDless posted:

I played through the whole of Umineko in various states of inebriation and I don't remember who was killed in this episode.
So I'm looking forward to the next update.:)

I feel like the best way to play Umineko would be while completely tanked on absinthe.

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

What's so wrong with Jessica? She hasn't done anything terribly offensive yet, unlike say Kinzo, Battler, Rosa, Eva x 300, George, and Kanon (who never stops talking about how he will only ever be a folding chair).

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Compared to her normal voice, Maria's exposition voice is strangely soothing. And that musical track is great.

I'm guessing the fact that Natsuhi went out and grabbed a gun to defend everyone with can rule her out as a suspect, unless she were a really good actress (doubtful).

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Autumncomet posted:

I like (well, not really, but as a concept :smith:) the idea of the charms being signals and that there's a list of potential victims. Now two issues come up:
1) Battler didn't really show off the charm. Only Maria, he, Jessica, George, and Shannon can we safely assume know he had the charm prior to him losing it (if indeed he lost it, as opposed to him trying to one-up Maria).

Assuming Maria is an informant/accomplice to the culprit, that doesn't narrow things down so much as it means she told the culprit who she'd given the scorpion charms to. But then there'd be no point in using them as a signal in the first place. Hmm.

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

I could almost believe in Kinzo and Maria teaming up to murder everyone so that Maria can be the successor if it weren't for that strength caveat. An old man and a little girl aren't in the best shape to carry around a bunch of dead bodies.

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

If it turned out Kinzo's occult knowledge was a cover for bioweapon research that'd be hilarious.

But fair enough, I could see Kinzo's absinthe, crazed Beatrice-love, and sheer Kinzo-ish might fueling the day. And I hear that point about the bloodless murders. Then, what if at least 4 of the corpses were taken out by poison?

Krauss, Kyrie, Rudolf, and Rosa were all still doing their round-table passive-aggressive "how do we divide up Father's inheritance" discussion, right? If Shannon and/or Gohda were in on it, wouldn't it be easy for them to wheel out some poisoned tea? And then Kinzo might have ordered them to kill themselves to throw off suspicion.

That might involve too much happenstance, though. I'm not really up to snuff on mystery rules.

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Yeah, that's what I figured. It's more likely for Shannon, one of the servants loyal to Kinzo, to slip poison into the tea and expect Gohda to sneak a sip like the greedy bastard he is. Though again, this is convoluted and circumstantial.

...wow, Kinzo rap. Kinzo is truly the best Ushiromiya.

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

The main question for Jessica is motive, especially when you consider that her father was just murdered. Unless she is a very, very good actress, which is doubtful, she seems like a normal teenager who doesn't care about the family fortune and would never kill her dad in cold blood. Much like Battler really, except Battler's already excluded by being our main POV character.

George I could see killing everyone else's family in cold blood, provided it was someone else who killed Shannon. Hell, maybe that's another reason he was so shocked. But he was also in the guesthouse, and would have had a very hard time sneaking out because of that. Plus, who would just randomly kill Shannon after the fact and toss her corpse in there?

Maria is definitely an accomplice, it's just a matter of whether she's an active one or just being manipulated by someone else with an extensive knowledge of the occult. Kinzo disappeared rather than showing up dead, so he is prime suspect #1 any way you slice it. Eva, as she herself pointed out, is most likely a red herring.

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Is it just me or has Eva just done the mystery novel equivalent of taking out a picture of your family and showing it to your war buddies?

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Hideyoshi was a pretty cool guy and seems to have brought out the best in Eva. :smith:

It takes a lot of force to impale someone directly in the center of the forehead as opposed to, say, the eye socket, neck, or chest. And yeah, since Maria was with the cousins the whole time, there's really only one person who could draw a massive magical array that fast that isn't a witch.

The Kinzo theory is so suspiciously solid so early in the murdering that I'm starting to doubt myself.

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

I wonder if one of the bodies from the shed just plain got reused to throw people off? Krauss had a similar build to Kinzo, could've inherited six toes, and would be indistiguishable once sufficiently brulee'd.

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Anastasiya posted:

Natsuhi is the best. I'm going to be so sad when she inevitably bites it.

On the other hand, I'm looking forward to one of the cousins getting offed, since that hasn't happened yet. It'll be a good way to step up the sense of horror despite already having so many deaths.

George getting offed would probably cause the most panic, considering he seems to be the 'mature' one of the cousin group.

I really like Natsuhi too, she's doing a lot better at handling this situation now that there's no Eva to needle her.

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

It's about time someone shooed Maria out, considering her effect on morale in the group. Though, now that just gives her license to rendezvous with Kinzo 'Beatrice'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

The problem with Kinzo-in-a-wig (aside from how hilarious and improbable that would be) is that Natsuhi probably wouldn't react the way she did to "Beatrice" if that were the case. Her tone implies that at the very least, "Beatrice" is someone she wouldn't hand the reins of the Ushiromiya family to without a fight.

But with everyone presumed dead, it's hard to point fingers any which way at the moment. Guess I'll sit back and wait for the tea party.

• Locked thread