Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
This art looks so much better than the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

The visual novels that are LPed have interactive elements. That is to say, they have choices the player can make, resulting in a different experience.

Umineko does not have any interactive elements until the last episode and even then they're very minor.

For the sake of preventing an extremely annoying and all-around stupid argument that I've seen many times: it doesn't really matter. Visual Novels are considered games in Japan, it's close enough, and it works fine with the LP format.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

Golden Battler posted:

Truly this is the thread I was meant for.

Not a huge fan of the updated art myself, but it's definitely the better choice for doing a LP.

There are some parts of the old art I'm fond of, but I wouldn't in good conscience recommend it to anyone who isn't already used to it.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
I played through all 8 episodes of Umineko with the old art, but I don't think I would ever be able to get used to old Higurashi art. Ever.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
By the way, to anyone reading this for the first time:

Listen to all of the music as it comes up.

Seriously.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
The Servant Hand Pose(tm) is integral

Out of all the new art, I don't think I'll ever get used to how new George looks compared to old George.

Apparently being better-drawn makes you lose 30 pounds.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
I like the ambient music the last few updates have had. They set the tone very well.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
Kinzo's ranting is the best part of early Episode 1. Such great insanity.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
The anime left out a lot of the stuff in the first half of Episode 1 to streamline the experience. While Episode 1's introduction could have definitely been trimmed in the VN, the anime's take on it resulted in an experience people ended up caring about a lot less in the end. Not sure if it could've been any other way given the medium, though.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
Eva is kind of a jerk.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
The two big scenes in the last update is when I really started to get interested in Umineko. Talks of MONEY and Rosa's relationship with Maria really got me thinking about thing.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
Glad to see this isn't dead.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
Umineko's music is fantastic and is one of the big reasons for the series' success.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
Probably late on this, but I was always really appreciated of the character bios and TIPS section the game includes. It helped a lot in the early game when I was learning the setting.

KamikazePotato fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Oct 16, 2012

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
Woah, Shiny was probated for spoilers in his own topic? That's....something else.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
I really appreciate scenes like that, where you just see the family members interacting. While the beginning of Episode 1 can be slow at times, it had a lot of great character-setting moments.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
An issue with Higurashi is that its original art was even worse than Umineko's original art, and Umineko's original art was terrible. Such is the curse of the author also being the artist. If you read it, make sure to get a version with the updated art.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
I actually prefer the original art over the redone style (mostly for the facial expressions), but it definitely, definitely isn't for everyone. I'd much sooner recommend the redone art.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
By the way, I would advise anyone who doesn't usually listen to music in these updates to listen to all of the music from here on out. It's truly a defining aspect of Umineko and contributes heavily to the experience; most of it has been pretty low-key so far, but that's probably going to change soon.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
This scene kind of floored me the first time I saw it. Epitaph or not, I was not expecting the game to murder 1/3 of it's cast at the same time in a highly brutal fashion. Battler's insane reactions, combined with the music, combined with their bios being updated with that weird addendum got to me as well.

KamikazePotato fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Nov 9, 2012

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
I'm not sure what's tasteless about that at all, honestly.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
Ryukishi doing the art himself lets him pump out Episodes way, way faster than he would be able to normally. He released one Episode every half a year when doing Umineko, which is absolutely nuts when you consider everything that goes into making one and how long each one is.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
The direction for Kanon's death scene is really good and is hard to express in an LP format. There's this background chanting that keeps getting louder and louder, long pauses for buildup, and then the combination of sound effects at the end that come out of nowhere. It's definitely one of the more memorable bits from Episode 1, I think.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
The sound bite when the letter appears scared the hell out of me when I was playing.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

The PS3 version removed the Star Trek lines from it.

Which is a pity because the lines are what really gives it the kick to set the scene up.

I can't imagine that scene with the Star Trek lines in it. Granted, the first time I heard it I could barely make out what it was saying, but the jumbled words helped with the atmosphere!

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
I really like how they set up the tea party. The beginning makes you think its some weird, non-canon, comedy wrapup thing. Then it slowly gets more and more serious until you realize what's happening is very important.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
One of Umineko's strengths is that it makes sure to give (almost) all of its characters fully-developed personalities. (Almost) no one is wasted or one-note.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
That end of that update really needs to be watched in video for anyone following along here for the first time.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
This scene is so great. There's a reason it burned World End Dominator into the minds of everyone playing it.

I think overall people list Episode 2 as their least favorite of the original four, but I still really like it to this day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
I think the author of the series said everything isn't 100% solvable until the end of Episode 4, but it's still a very good idea to start forming theories at this point. Just don't get too attached to pet theories like someone already said.

• Locked thread