Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Personally Seacats with no catfaces isn't Seacats at all to me. I really don't have a problem with it as far as the no interactivity part is concerned. In fact, I was considering doing it myself recently, but decided against it because it would be SO MUCH WORK and I cannot imagine anyone trying to do it won't burn out, including you OP (though I hope you don't).

That said, I do love Seacats, even as much as I hate the ending, and I'm interested in seeing the reactions of the uninitiated as the games and Ryukishi himself go steadily more insane.

Godspeed to you OP, you mad bastard, I hope you teach the LP subforum that it is, in fact, all useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Shark Tower posted:

Man, took me a moment to figure out what you were talking about here.

You've never heard it before? It's pretty much the catchphrase of the English fanbase, along with WITHOUT LOVE IT CANNOT BE SEEN.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The reasons why VN readers hated the anime will become clear as we go forward. To be fair, I honestly don't think Umineko COULD be adapted well though, it's just impossible.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Not being able to comment on stuff due to spoilers is killing me.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Honestly I think most of my love for the old style sprites might just come from the fact they resulted in the Umineko Screenshot Generator (if you haven't played the game, don't look it up as it spoils poo poo), which turned into months of fun for /a/ and /jp/.

The faded backgrounds were straight up better than the PS3 version though.

Shiny777 posted:

Also Kinzo is a loving lunatic
If anything is true about Seacats (and god is that a question), this is it.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Jeek posted:

By the way, could the characters all have English-sounding name because the game makers are targeting the English-speaking world in the first place?

There is a very major plot point in the game's story that makes this 100% impossible. Ryukishi IS aware of the English fanbase though, Witch Hunt has his official approval.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

OH DESIRE is pretty much the one thing besides voice acting that the anime did correctly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMM_BPTYglM

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I can't see how you would dare imply that people WOULDN'T pay to listen to Kinzo rave for hours on end.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I can't say too much for spoiler reasons, but I do actually kind of feel for Rosa, though that doesn't condone what she did to Maria.

And yeah no I will be STUNNED if anyone actually solves the Epitaph properly without looking the answers up, I honestly can't believe the Japanese audience pieced it together.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Reminds me of when he modsmacked Lizard Wizard for racism... when LW just was explaining Morrowind mechanics.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

ahahaha.wav etc etc

I do quite like the end of day sequence, it's pretty creepy, as is a lot of episode 1 (in ways the others aren't).

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It's basically impossible to spoil Umineko completely without listening to about 3 hours worth of metaphors and breakdowns thereof, so don't worry if you know about one of the deaths.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

KamikazePotato posted:

An issue with Higurashi is that its original art was even worse than Umineko's original art, and Umineko's original art was terrible. Such is the curse of the author also being the artist. If you read it, make sure to get a version with the updated art.

No, Umineko's art was perfect, cease your lies.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

But /jp/ hates visual novels, especially translated ones.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Organza Quiz posted:

stupid poo poo

No spoilers, even in tags.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Walterion posted:

Oh, I know how everything goes. I watch it cause I seriously love the voice acting in the series, they kinda improved the whole thing for me in general.

If you even have the chance of playing the PS3 version of the VN, or if the improved PC patch, you will get my point as well.

So what you're saying is, it's paafecto?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Anastasiya posted:

If Beatrice has a speaking icon, that means she has sprites, and that means she appears at some point, right? ...Or does that "appear" not equal to actually existing? (Hallucinations, flashbacks, etc.)

Witches don't exist, that would make no sense.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Jeek posted:

Repeat this conversation for eight whole chapters and we have Umineko no Naku Koro Ni.

Oh man, were that only true.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I bet when the witch gets here, she'll be able to explain it. She'll also probably use her witch powers to figure out whodunnit.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I can't imagine that this game about murders on an isolated island with a mansion would ever lift from Christie.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Jeek posted:

I was referring to the "Nanko is conspiring with the killer who plays dead" part, which is an important point of the plot in one of Christie's most famous stories.

We're talking about the same Christie story.

Ghost Car posted:

I'm pretty sure Rodyle knows exactly what you were referring to, given that "murders on an isolated island with a mansion" is also the setup of the book in question.

I also feel like Ryukishi07 has mentioned Agatha Christie as an inspiration at some point, but I may be misremembering--it's been several years since I was into Higurashi enough to pay attention to stuff like that.

He explicitly namedrops And Then There Were None in Umineko 7.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

Like witches. :unsmigghh:

Get used to this back and forth.

It will not be going away anytime soon.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

edit: the above offending remark was removed so forget it

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 22, 2012

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

TheArchimage posted:

Also, the reasoning might be a little metagamey, but there certainly would have been audible internet backlash if R07 strung people along for eight games
Well there certainly was a backlash when EP8 dropped, on both Japanese and English sides of the internet.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

LeeDless posted:

Agreed. It wasn't like the finales to Lost or BSG where the writers had been making it up as they went along and clearly had no idea how to finish the story.
R07 had a storyline planned out for Umineko from the start and saw it through to the end.
This is a point that deserves serious argument, but really it's probably better that we not do this vague allusion to the ending stuff right now.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The real question these games raise is "who's more awesome, Dai or ZTS?"

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

LeeDless posted:

The soundtrack for this game kicks serious rear end and we haven't heard close to the best of it yet. Every episode introduces new music and I reckon 3-5 have the greatest.

There's a particular major family of songs that I feel gets its best entry in Episode 8 actually. But yes, all of it, so good.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

LeeDless posted:

Are you referring to this track?

No, I'm talking about LastEndConductor.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Shiny777 posted:

It's a question with no right answer. Trying to pick one is like trying to pick between chocolate and peanut butter. Or cake and pie. Or which of your terrible children to sacrifice to a witch (first).

And I found Lastendconductor relatively disappointing, really. The real musical highlights there were Soar and the ending track.

Well on further reflection worldenddominator is still my favorite of that family actually, but yes that ending theme oh my god.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 3, 2012

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Omniphile posted:

I could almost believe in Kinzo and Maria teaming up to murder everyone so that Maria can be the successor if it weren't for that strength caveat. An old man and a little girl aren't in the best shape to carry around a bunch of dead bodies.

Who are you to cast doubt on the indomitable might of the family head!?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

If I have one hope for this it's that it achieves similar popularity to the Dangen Ronpa LP. This is unlikly but I hope it does.

Given that shiny is essentially trying to eat a particularly large mountain, I'd say it's got time to build up steam.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Kytrarewn posted:

That's how I read it, too. Unless Natsuhi/Jessica can prove that A. Krauss didn't kill Kinzo, and B. Kinzo died before Krauss did.

I'm not sure what to think of the whole matter of Eva's inheritance. There was something odd with her being allowed to rejoin the family despite getting married because her husband took on her name, or something along those lines.

Eva never left the family register in the first place.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I have my problems with Seacats, but I can't take away from R07 that he managed to create a big cast of mostly three dimensional characters, nearly all of whom I like to some degree. Eva's actually one of my favorites.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

And Episode 1 is probably the shortest and most straightforward of the lot.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Xoidanor posted:

One thing I think I'll never quite understand is why these more serious Visual Novels often have subpar drawing work

No that's pretty much just R07. Unless you're counting Key I guess.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

You guys are trying to hard. I forget if Shiny showed this off or not, but each episode has a blurb attached to it. Episode 1's is "No thinking is required. Simply lay back and accept events as they happen."

You guys should just let the magic wash over you :colbert:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Shiny777 posted:

From the first update.
Well there we go.

Walterion posted:

You can read it as ''Don't panic, you will have time to panic later on''.

Plenty of time.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The important thing is that George is still fat in his heart.

Also yes welcome to Umineko pacing. 2's opening is possibly the very slowest segment of the entire series.

This also gives us a chance to underline how Shiny's heretical PS3 sprites remove the cats from Seacats. You are a bad person, Mr Shiny :mad: not really

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Feb 4, 2013

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Kinzo considered Battler to be stricken from the record because how dare he want to leave behind his glorious heritage of psychosis and dickbaggery, so yeah he's not officially a factory.

Anyway as far as the creepiness of George/Shannon goes, well that's what you get when your story is a weird Japanese rendition of Victorian era literature. You've got the weird master/servant romances with older dudes, the highly classical style murder mystery, and then a whole bunch of weird poo poo about Japanese financial politics and witches.

It's all part of a balanced breakfast :yum:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Autumncomet posted:

The only thing I know about Touhou is that it's popular on ADTRW. :shobon:

I really like Beatrice as a character. She seems to have a lot of depth. I almost want witches to be real after all! :v:

It's what the Japanese internet is obsessed with instead of Team Fortress 2.

This will explain everything:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbcIF78vzo4

• Locked thread