Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I really hope Jessica goes early. She is a worse character than than even Battler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I managed to get at least one of the deaths ruined for me (Shortly before this LP was started) by looking at shocking scenes from a different VN and a different anime series on youtube and getting drawn into watching some compilations.

Still looking forward to seeing how we get there, though, since that should prove more than interesting enough.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
In this case, the who was shown, the how was displayed, and I can hazard a pretty good guess as to the "why" already.

Still impatiently waiting for the next update, since there's a whole lot more to this thing (I read a little bit about the 'when they cry' series on Wikipedia after seeing the scene in question, but remember exceptionally little about it, since I wasn't terribly interested by the premise) than I had thought.

Good characters (except for Jessica :argh: ), good writing/translation and a whole lot of family drama that I can relate to on some degree.

Mainly just a caution that if you want to avoid being spoiled, avoid any of the various "Most gruesome deaths in animes/VNs" videos/lists that can easily be found accidentally on the internet.

Based on the fact that what took several hours to read took place in 15 minutes in the anime (per earlier report), I'm sure there's a whole lot even to what little I saw than I had been exposed to.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Eldataluta posted:

While it's nice that the bios update to contain information about the victims, I can't help but feel that putting red blotches over their faces is a little tasteless. I'm not saying I can think of a better way to handle something like that. It was just the first thought that popped into my head.

Personally, I cracked up when I scrolled down and saw Krauss's head with a big terrible splotch of MS Paint red over the top of it. Not sure what that says about me, but it can't be anything positive.

Anyway, Jessica's still alive, but I suppose grieving and horrified is a better expression than that terrible fist-pump determinedly happy pose she's shown in every other photo, and was a minimal part of this update.

Re: Natsuhi, I can't help but wonder if Kinzo just paid her some attention because of the fact she was still alive at this point.

The wheat has been separated from the chaff, and so Natsuhi must at least have some steel in her heart.

Complete speculation with only the aforementioned foreknowledge (Saw one death scene from the anime 6 months ago): Eva is the heir-apparent as of now. Has the strength and utter loathing for everyone else on the island to carry on the Ushiromiya tradition, and even has the least objectionable son (although her son unfortunately lusts after furniture).

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
If Eva was the killer, wouldn't she try to interfere with one of the useful people, rather than Battler? And if she were smart enough to pull this off, you'd figure she wouldn't be running around cackling about it and snarking at Natsuhi, either.

I vote we kill Jessica, since the damned murderer didn't have enough taste to do so him/herself.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Omniphile posted:

What's so wrong with Jessica? She hasn't done anything terribly offensive yet, unlike say Kinzo, Battler, Rosa, Eva x 300, George, and Kanon (who never stops talking about how he will only ever be a folding chair).

The other characters deepen the atmosphere in their interactions with other characters. Sure- Rosa's a bitch... BUT her scenes with Maria, while distressing and horrible, actually contributed to the understanding of both her character and Maria's.

Eva is interesting in how cold, heartless and sarcastic she is.

Kinzo is fascinating for obvious reasons, and I don't know what you find so annoying about George. Not fond of Battler either, but eh, he's the main character so I can't hope for his destruction this early.

Jessica is just there to be a ditzy blonde, play up the "Teeheehee we're all high school students" thing, be a sex object for her own first cousin, and make that goddamned terrible fistpump pose. At the same time, she's histrionic enough that she manages to turn everything into "It's time for us to calm down Jessica, she's had a bad day".

It's entirely possible that her character (With a different default pose) in a different game would be less insufferable, but when you compare her character against all the other females in the game and how decently they're written, Jessica sticks out like a sore thumb as a source of personal annoyance.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Walterion posted:

We go deeper and deeper in this murder case. This is not a normal murder case, this is an occult murder case, with 6 bodies as the offering for the circle.

It is facinating that she can say all that occult stuff, but can't get rid of her ''uuu-'' tic. Split personalities and all that jazz.

So, who is most likely the culprit? Dunno, if Maria knows about the occult, someone else aside from Kinzo could have done it easily.

Eh- she's passionate about witches, and has done her research about them. So, when discussing them, she speaks clearly. "Uuu-" is an emotional emphasis, it seems, moreso than a 'tic', and when she's discussing "facts", she doesn't really need to express emotion, right?

I wonder if that's what Kinzo meant when he said that Maria had a "displeasing appearance" or whatever it was that he said. He knows that she's a cold, spite-filled shell like him, but hides it in a way that he finds disgraceful, much like he dislikes Battler running off to his mother's family to get away from his contemptable (By both Battler and Kinzo, himself) father.

On the other hand, I feel like we should start taking Maria a lot more seriously now. "Witches are real because Maria wants to be a witch so she can ride a magical pony and eat all the cotton candy she likes while making the world a better place" (Obviously paraphrased) has to be a huge oversimplification from yet another stupid adult (George) who spends his time patronizing her rather than treating her as a small human.

On another note- the epitaph reads like even if there is a witch, the murders have to be committed by mortals. So, even if we find out that, for example, Natsuhi and Genji committed the murders together, that doesn't mean that the witch *doesn't* exist.

(Come on, Genji gave her the key to Kinzo's study? Kinzo's most trusted associate, who knows Kinzo doesn't want to see anyone? There's something odd... not to mention Natsuhi being the only person to know for a fact that there was at least one Ushiromiya stamped block of gold just before the murders took place)

If I were Natsuhi, I might be tempted to use my time advantage (I'm taking this poo poo seriously, while nobody else knows that it's at least partially born out by reality), to kill the only other person who knows about it, as well as the siblings/spouses less likely to have committed the murder and a servant, just to throw doubt on the whole thing and make it look somewhat random.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Benly posted:

Maybe because she's the only unexpected person to have a scorpion charm? That is, assuming someone who knows what Maria did with the charms but not what happened with them afterwards.

Then how would she know that Jessica gave the charm to Natsuhi? There's the big puzzler here.

Current best guess- Kinzo has video cameras everywhere and figured that since Natsuhi put on at least a show of believing in magic, he'd spare her for the night.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Wili posted:

Not to worry! Eva's door has a chain! Everyone knows the locked rooms are the safest ones.

Jessica will only become the heir once Krauss becomes the head. Which will never happen now.

That's how I read it, too. Unless Natsuhi/Jessica can prove that A. Krauss didn't kill Kinzo, and B. Kinzo died before Krauss did.

I'm not sure what to think of the whole matter of Eva's inheritance. There was something odd with her being allowed to rejoin the family despite getting married because her husband took on her name, or something along those lines.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I had expected "tearing apart the two who were close" to be in reference to Jessica and George's little tiff.

Also- I think it's usually possible to lock a doorchain from outside, moreso than it is to unlock it, especially if you start from the wrong side of the door. Attach a piece of string or something to pull it closed and then release once the door is mostly shut.

That would have required someone inside the room to let him in first, though.

It's also possible that both Genji and Kanon are lying about the series of events.

But, yeah, a secret passage that only Kinzo knows about and magic seem like the more likely possibilities.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Someone went to a whole lot of trouble to disguise "putatively-Kinzo's" body with the exception of the polydactyly.

Kinzo could easily be out there making trouble for people, especially since despite calling for Nanjo, we haven't actually seen him yet, nor has he spoken, since Kanon's little run-in with the drill gun.

He would be the clear pick for faking Kinzo's death, due to also being old and fat, right?

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I'm still not a fan of Jessica's for the reasons I stated earlier in this thread.

George has lost both of his parents and his fiancée so far, so I don't anticipate him getting chopped off. Nobody necessarily "cares" about him. Battler, likewise, has little else to lose (and he's the main character). Maria is... Maria.

Jessica's the key choice for "first/only cousin to bite it if any" since it would throw Natsuhi into chaos/despair, and Natsuhi has proven far more interesting to the plot thus far.

I'm wondering at what point we need to consider that, currently, there can be as many as four (more likely three) different killers? It's unlikely that Kinzo and Kanon were killed by different people, since it seemed almost to be an ambush, but even still...

One could easily see Eva killing off Krauss/Shannon/Kyrie/etc, and then winding up dead by someone else's hands.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Shiny777 posted:

And then some info on the murder weapons. I'm not sure why it doesn't just say 5 bullets instead of 4+1. According to Wikipedia, the model should be able to hold between 9 and 13 bullets, so I guess the ammo capacity was lowered for some reason when it was customized, maybe?

If you look at this picture of the barrel end of the M94, you'll get part of the picture:

That tube underneath the barrel is the magazine. You'll notice that it's exactly as long as the magazine. To maintain the maneuverability that Kinzo had wanted in shortening the barrel, the ammunition tube would, by necessity, be shortened as well.

As far as 4+1, you don't often see that designation referring to tube magazines, but basically it's saying that you can chamber the first round in the tube, then put your hand in front of the loaded, active gun to add another bullet to the tube (which would hold 4, according to the game's lore). 4 in the magazine, 1 in the chamber. Hence, 4+1.
EDIT: Winchester 94 adds bullets to the tube magazine through a loading port, not through the front of the tube magazine, so it's a lot more safe than I made it sound. Mea culpa.

Back on topic:
I don't have any idea what the hell is going on. I've been away from the thread for a while now, but it almost sounds like we've got a reverse Freddy vs. Jason thing going on, where if Freddy (Beatrice) convinces enough people that she might very well be real, she comes into existence?

All the while, poor Battler's-dead-soul only remembers the metagame between lives (a la Maurice from Terry Pratchett's "The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents") and is sure his living counterpart is going to gently caress up terribly at some point?

Hopefully, it starts to make sense at some point.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 19, 2013

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
So as to not distract from the upcoming update...

The translation on that TIPS section wasn't done by the same people as the main game, was it?

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I wish this update had gone a bit longer, since I still have absolutely no idea what's going on, or who the narrator is going to be in the next chapter.

Assuming that it is George, and assuming that each time we go through the motions we get more information, that would mean that Battler is just as stupid as we always thought he was (A bit of a Candide with his whole "Let's flip the chessboard, flip the chessboard, flip the chessboard" spiel), and we're only going to figure everything out when we get to see events through Kanon's eyes (or whatever) at the very end of the cycle.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Golden Sneer is an amazingly good track. That and the one with the steel drum (Some sort of metal percussion instrument, at any rate) are my favorites that I've heard in the game so far.

As far as Shannon and George's relationship- I can't really get too terribly hung up over the age difference. Shannon has been working for her bread for many years at this point, and is 15 in the present day? And 7 year age difference is a lot smaller once you tack 10, or even 5 years onto either of their ages.

Also- I can't help but feel like, to some degree, the ages were just poorly thought-out and not necessarily an important plot point in the context of their relationship (which would be more creepy).

Also, I find it interesting that Jessica seems to be taking Eva oba-san as her role-model at this point in the history of the Ushiromiya Saga. Sardonic, sadistic and consistently hitting too close to home for anyone around her to be terribly comfortable.

Much better than the "Oh woe is me everyone I've ever loved is dead and mutilated, let's throw a hissy fit and get all the attention" character we saw in the first go-'round.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Roro posted:

Oh and uh... Kirby? Kirby hasn't been crossed over with Touhou, right?

From one of the Touhou wikis:
"(Kirby: Cosmic Chaos) A fan-made Kirby game which features Cirno as Kirby's ice-helper and also Marisa Kirisame as a cameo in Kirisame Keke, Kirby's Beam+Clean helper Azurarokstudio"

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Shiny777 posted:

...Well played.

Google hasn't revealed any Touhou/Saints Row game crossovers on the first couple pages, either.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Having just caught up with the thread (after not reading it for a year), my three theories before game 3:

1. George steals the master key from Shannon when he distracts her with the ring, then goes off to cause havoc. He also had the opportunity to meddle with Maria's envelope before the chapel murder. As far as his own death is concerned, I don't know, murder-suicide? It seems like stabbing oneself in the abdomen would be a bit easier than trying to force a stake through your head or jam it all the way through your ribcage.
2. Battler and Beatrice19 (as opposed to BeatriceWitch) are lovers in a perverted serial-murder team ("Slice up your cow tits and make me a sandwich") competing against one another to murder their family in ways that the other cannot explain (I realize that the thread says that Battler's perspective is absolute except when he's drunk, but as a reader of the LP, I don't personally know this to be the case).
3. Maria pulled a Hannibal and decided to use the gaping hole in Kanon's chest to go around trying to implicate her mother in the killing spree by climbing in and taking the corpse for a test drive while screaming "It was Rosa! It was Rosa".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Jeek posted:

If that is the case, we still have to account for the death of Rosa, Maria, Genji and Battler, all of whom were still alive by the time George's body was discovered.

We don't, though. All the subsequent deaths can be considered part of the "bad end", after Battler decided to surrender to Beatrice.

They aren't actually part of the puzzle's setup and thus may or may not actually be canon.

• Locked thread