Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Going to be keeping an eye on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
This is interesting I never read anything about Umineko. I like the characters as well. Eva's design is my favorite so far.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Obscil posted:

I'm really glad someone is doing an lp of this game. The anime sort of cuts off, while the game has the entire story. Does anyone understand what is with Battler's name though? It just seems so stupid for a name.

EDIT: Something just note beforehand, the beginning to this can be a bit slow, but it will escalate. Oh boy, will it escalate.

As Battler complained all of his families names are odd for japan.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Well the part with the adults was pure spite. I know nothing about the series other then the fact that there are murders so I am guessing Kannon and Shannon are the killers because they seem the oddest right now.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
So if I am right about the ranking it goes this way.

1. Kinzo
2. His oldest son who I don't think has been named yet.
3. Eva (because she forced her husband to take her name)
4. Rudolf
5. Rosa
6. Jessica
7. George
8. Battler
9. Maria
10.Natsui
11.Hidiyoshi
12.Kyrie

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Never thought I would see a Grandpa that hates all of his blood.

He Thinks Krauss can't do anthing with money, Eva is too Greedy, Rudolf too preocupied with woman. He hates Rosa for having a bastard child, Jessica for being stupid in his eyes. George is too nice so to Kinzo that makes him a wuss, Battler diched the family for 6 years, Maria because he does not like to look at her and I bet he hates all the others for not being directly related to him.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Aug 20, 2012

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jeek posted:

So Kinzo's reckless investment when he was young was part of his "gamble at desperate situation" magic then?

We don't know. The comments are jokes for the most part. For all we know Kinzo's magic are just his crazy dilusions.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Still Eva is one of the biggest assholes for quite a while.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
This is good I look forward to updates to this.

Also could someone help me with the ages.

I know the kids ages but the only adult I have the slightest clue about is Eva who is over 50 and thats it. (I assume she looks so good for her age is because she travels all the time to learn and do new martial arts and not to mention training the ones she already knows.)

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Sep 16, 2012

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Ya Rosa is not the best parent but she is a single parent and has to deal with Maria all the time. She seemed like so was fine with it until Maria started crying.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Carpator Diei posted:

Thus are the ups and downs of being an anime woman: You always look like a gourgeous young beauty until you hit 60 at which point you immediately turn into a wrinkled old crone. But at least you still have it better than JRPG women for whom 30 is already ancient.

Well Eva has the excuse of doing tons of martial arts. Nat has no real excuse for her good looks.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I Just noticed that Krauss said that Rosa co signed on a loan. That means along with her poor business she is in debt. I am guessing this is another reason she is short tempered with Maria.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 21, 2012

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Viola the Mad posted:

Maria is a character who would drive anyone up the wall. The goddamn uu-uu tic, the temper tantrums, and all the other behavior that might be expected in a four-year-old but not in a nine-year-old. I really hated her during the first chapter. Nevertheless, I'd urge people in the audience to withhold judgement for a while. So far as I can recall, all of the characters in Umineko have hidden depths, and Maria is no exception to the rule. By the end of the fourth chapter I found her to be one of the most interesting characters for reasons that had little to do with her black magic obsession.

Once again as I stated Rosa has to put up with her every day alone while apperntly being in debt with a failing business from everything I have put togeather. So I can understand what she did not that I support it.

Still the money and riddle are interesting me. I am going to guess that Eva is going to start looking for it given it just seems like she would be the first person to start looking.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Great to see that this is back.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I find it odd that Shiny was put on probation. With the reason being he did not read the op and posted spoilers. The guy made the op and I don't think he posted spoilers (other then that black thing but no clue what that is.)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Anastasiya posted:

Well, that's a relief. I was ready to start thinking the worst and wonder about Maria's notably absent father.

It's better to avoid that kind of thing. Kudos to you, game. Now show me in what ways they are messed up.

Kinzo already said that Rosa had a bastard child. It looked like he just walked out on her.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Well Eva is the biggest suspect right now given she had a ton to gain here but lost none of her family.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
There is a epitath refrence on all the updated bio's

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

LeeDless posted:

Agreed. It wasn't like the finales to Lost or BSG where the writers had been making it up as they went along and clearly had no idea how to finish the story.
R07 had a storyline planned out for Umineko from the start and saw it through to the end. Some people just didn't like where it ended up.

I thought it was a great ending personally.

drat you I thought their was a new update.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
For theme's I like Ridicule If only for how creepy it is.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Walterion posted:

Ran out of red paint and they forgot to place an order for a new one.

This whole post killing talk is interesting, but the kitchen scene is even more interesting. It actually tells you straight fowardly that someone under the name of Beatrice is running around the island and probably performing these acts of occult murder, and this is comming from the servants of the house hold.

Also, in reality, to be able to carry 6 bodies into the shed without being detected nor leaving a marks on the floor, other than the ones in the dining room, is quite a feat. Considering how large some of the victims were, it would need at least 2 people to carry them.

It's possible they only believe that a person name Beatrice is around and the real one died long ago. After all Kinzo is what 80 and it's possible Beatrice was older then him.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Omniphile posted:

If it turned out Kinzo's occult knowledge was a cover for bioweapon research that'd be hilarious.

But fair enough, I could see Kinzo's absinthe, crazed Beatrice-love, and sheer Kinzo-ish might fueling the day. And I hear that point about the bloodless murders. Then, what if at least 4 of the corpses were taken out by poison?

Krauss, Kyrie, Rudolf, and Rosa were all still doing their round-table passive-aggressive "how do we divide up Father's inheritance" discussion, right? If Shannon and/or Gohda were in on it, wouldn't it be easy for them to wheel out some poisoned tea? And then Kinzo might have ordered them to kill themselves to throw off suspicion.

That might involve too much happenstance, though. I'm not really up to snuff on mystery rules.

The one big flaw is that Gohda would not have killed himself. He is a new servant that was hired by Krauss he does not work for Kinzo and is in no way loyal enough to kill himself.

Also I found this little song by Kinzo. Don't worry no spoiler's. Unless you consider Kinzo is nuts to be a spoiler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKKAoC9mLBM

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 4, 2012

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
If I have one hope for this it's that it achieves similar popularity to the Dangen Ronpa LP. This is unlikly but I hope it does.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
So if I am reading this right. All the events of the first chapter were just the contents of a letter that Maria sent and said to be what happened on the island. Which means nothing that we saw is reliable.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Xoidanor posted:

That would be odd considering we have been watching from multiple POVs which Maria either didn't hear about or wasn't present for.

That's why I said nothing is reliable as she was not around for most of the events. If this was just part of a letter she sent out before her death every event she was not there for can be taken into question and every event she was there for can be taken into question because Maria is not someone I would rely on to tell a true story.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
This event was one of two thing I knew about coming into this. The Meta World were Battler and Beatrice argue if the events could have been done with Magic or not. The other thing I knew was that the Meta world story wise may or may not exist.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Autumncomet posted:

Oh god, Shannon/Sayo breaking the mirror lets Beatrice become more powerful, doesn't it? :(

It's possible that's what released Beatrice in the first place.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kytrarewn posted:

I wish this update had gone a bit longer, since I still have absolutely no idea what's going on, or who the narrator is going to be in the next chapter.

Assuming that it is George, and assuming that each time we go through the motions we get more information, that would mean that Battler is just as stupid as we always thought he was (A bit of a Candide with his whole "Let's flip the chessboard, flip the chessboard, flip the chessboard" spiel), and we're only going to figure everything out when we get to see events through Kanon's eyes (or whatever) at the very end of the cycle.

From how I read it George was the Narrator first then it switched to Shannon.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
From the Date with George Shannon appeared to have decided to take Beatrice's deal. Meaning she is responsible for everything.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Wandering Knitter posted:

You know, between George/Shannon's relationship and how the adults are all supposed to be in their fifties, I'm just going to assume the author doesn't understand how ages work.

Krauss and Eva are the only 2 parents that are 50.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Eva was also said to be really fit and attractive for her age. Krauss looks his age and I would say that Natsuhi while attractive does look older then Eva.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
If I remember correctly. We are not even told the whole truth (Or we are and are not sure if it's a lie I don't remember.) even at the end of the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jeek posted:

Shiny777, can you post the Japanese version of the phrase "golden drop" (or better, the whole sentence)? I may be able to figure out what that is.

So with Battler's return, can we exclude Rosa as the since as she is present as a third person during his conversation with Beatrice?

But Beatrice killed Genji, Gohda, Nanjo and Kumasawa who are neither horrible nor part of the Ushiromiya family (especially Kumasawa as she is not even a full time resident).

On another note, in both episodes, there are people who are clearly dead and those that are unclear (either in terms of their identity or how dead they are). I will list them out here:

Episode 1
Obviously dead: Krauss, Shannon, Eva, Hideyoshi, Kanon, Natushi
Uncertain: Rudolf (face gone), Kyrie (face gone), Rosa (face gone), Gohda (face gone), Kinzo (completely charred), Genji (face smashed), Kumasawa (face smashed), Nanjo (ditto)

Episode 2
Obviously dead: Rudolf, Kyrie, Natushi, Krauss, Eva, Hideyoshi, Jessica, Nanjo (doubtful; no clear examination), Kumasawa (same as Nanjo plus the stake that fell off), George, Gohda, Shannon
Uncertain: Kanon (body never found)

Combining the two lists together, it should be safe to say that the people who are depicted as obviously dead in both episodes are not the culprit, which would be Krauss, Natushi, Eva, Hideyoshi and Shannon. We can expand the list to include George, Maria and Genji as they are the survivors in the episode(s) where they are not clearly shown as dead.

That of course does not preclude anyone from being a pawn of the culprit, but crossing out a few culprit possibilities from the list is a start.

Was it not said that anything Battler does not see can't be taken at face value. I don't remember nor do I feel like checking but which of the clearly dead corpses did Battler see in both.

• Locked thread