Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Uhhhhh this isn't a game.

Like. At all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The visual novels that are LPed have interactive elements. That is to say, they have choices the player can make, resulting in a different experience.

Umineko does not have any interactive elements until the last episode and even then they're very minor.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Shiny777 posted:

I've got text dumps on hand for the first five episodes

I was wondering why, even all things considered, somebody would do this and still be sane.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Yeah that's right.

It's pretty much tailor made to create resentment and spite!

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

You'd be better off making a list of people Kinzo doesn't hate.

Evidence so far suggests it's rather short.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Jeek posted:

So much stuff, and we have only finished the first meal on the first day here. How much is left for this chapter?

We just barely finished the character introductions.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

At least 3/4 of Umineko is built around people having arguments.

The other 1/4 is Kinzo

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Oh hey it's the BEST MOM EVER.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Jeek posted:

By the way, is the epitaph only solvable in the original Japanese text?

I'd say that the riddle requires knowledge of Japanese and English. I know the solution, but only because they eventually tell you how to solve the Riddle because I'm terrible.

I will say this, by Episode 4 the story gives you everything you need to solve it. (This applies to every mystery in Umineko, by the way :v:)

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Beatrice gave it to her, obviously. :v:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Look man if you can't trust the word of an autistic 8 year old when she says a witch gave her an umbrella, who can you trust? :colbert:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Here's the point where the story kicks off and becomes really interesting.

DrakePegasus posted:

If Beatrice is like the Devil, does that mean all of the gold comes in the form of fiddles?

Where do you think the background music comes from?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Shiny777 posted:

It means they were all way off when they were speculating about the beloved hometown from the epitaph a little while back. Kinzo's branch of the family was actually living somewhere way the hell over in Georgia back in the day.

Suddenly Battler flirting with his cousin makes sense. :banjo:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

There really isn't much of a limit to how large an Nscripter window can be.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

If you open a file called ons.cfg in the folder the game is in, you can make the game any window size you want by putting in "window-width=" and the resolution you desire. The game will automatically scale up.

The small resolution assets you see in most of them is primarily due to them being amateur works.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

On the bright side, he doesn't have a Stupid Newbie avatar anymore. :allears:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

BlackPersona posted:

So if Beatrice is one of the 18, is (somewhat) respected by Kinzo, and has some access to Kinzo himself...
Nanjo is totally Beatrice. :v:
Kinzo is Beatrice.

You need to respect hisher life choices.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I don't see why there'd be much theorizing.

They're all going to be murdered by a witch. :colbert:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Oh boy.

I can't wait. Let the blood flow.

Beatrice needs her sacrifices. :unsmigghh:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Episode 1 is the most like Higurashi, I'd say.

Any more comments like that I won't get into for now.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Kytrarewn posted:

I managed to get at least one of the deaths ruined for me (Shortly before this LP was started) by looking at shocking scenes from a different VN and a different anime series on youtube and getting drawn into watching some compilations.

Still looking forward to seeing how we get there, though, since that should prove more than interesting enough.

I wouldn't really say they were "ruined" for you.

The fact that people die isn't a spoiler. This is a Murder Mystery, after all. :v:

The real question is, who how and why did the people die horribly?

A witch kills them.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Anastasiya posted:

(Also, I am still puzzling over whether there really were 12 siblings to start with, but eight got killed off. I just can't tell if that's a joke, or seriously part of the backstory.)

Let's just say this isn't the first time Kinzo lended Beatrice the ring.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Welcome to Rokkenjima. Population: 1812 :unsmigghh:

Goldenslaughterer is a fantastic tune, and really sets the tone for the rest of the episode. Everything so far has been mostly atmospheric or happy. Then all of a sudden this harsh, overwhelming song slams into you just as they describe some horrifically brutal murders.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Who's to know she didn't know about it before hand.

Getting rid of the competition, and then throw out some old furniture.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Well, according to the Epitaph, one of the rewards for completing it is "the resurrection of the souls of all the dead."

Of course, it's kind of hard to revive someone who's head has been smashed in. :v:

It could just be flavor, or maybe what it means by "We'll be able to see her again" is when they all die horribly they'll meet up in Heaven! :downs:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Battler has a point here.

The culprit's actions, well, don't make a lot of sense.

Basically no matter what angle you look at it from, these people dying as they did just just dangerous to the living people involved.

If a servant did it, then shoving them all in the shed, which only they have access to, just puts them at the front of suspicion. If, say, Eva did it, well duh everybody's going to suspect that just conveniently enough all her rival's for Kinzo's fortune (As well as the servant her son was eyeing, how scandalous!) is now dead?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

You forget that for in order for the tragedies to have meaning, we must show what they make people lose.

Jessica's a regular teenage girl, in a sense she's like Battler in that she's also an "everyman" character. She shows how a normal person, unconcerned with the complex politics of the Urishomiya family, reacts to these horrid events.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Maybe Kanon just has really low self-esteem.

I mean, our first meeting with the kid is him kind of getting embarrassed in front of the guests by having them helping him with his job.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I think that's Battler's reflection, so no, Beatrice isn't possessing her and mocking her victims.

Yet.

I have to agree with Cake Attack though. The exaggerated "crazy face" isn't really needed.

Maria is creepy enough on her own. The fact that a nine year old just starts talking about all that is disturbing enough.

Also, shooting a child is generally a bad idea.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Ryukishi definitely did his research.

Walterion posted:

Ayup, that's not the only thing that is real in this series.

Like witches. :unsmigghh:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Character's discussing things is half the fun of Umineko.

Also apparently Beatrice likes to hang around the kitchen.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Fightest posted:

Was she ever out of sight once they arrived on the island?

When Rosa made Maria stand outside alone in the rain after slapping her a lot.

That's also when Beatrice gave her the letter.

Of course, this still brings up the problem of how the culprit knew Natsuhi had the charm.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Hey now, George hasn't been killed yet. :v:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Fightest posted:

The mutilation happened after death. There are no marks on the bodies otherwise (or they would have been mentioned). In other words, the deaths are possibly bloodless.

They could have been shot and then smashed up to hide the bullet wound.

Or maybe they were killed with magggiccccc. :unsmigghh:

Omniphile posted:

That might involve too much happenstance, though. I'm not really up to snuff on mystery rules.

• The criminal must be someone mentioned in the early part of the story, but must not be anyone whose thoughts the reader has been allowed to follow.
  • All supernaural or preternatural agencies are ruled out as a matter of course.
  • Not more than one secret room or passage is allowable.
  • No hitherto undiscovered poisons may be used, nor any appliance which will need a long scientific explanation at the end.
  • No Chinaman must figure in the story.
  • No accident must ever help the detective, nor must he ever have an unaccountable intuition which proves to be right.
  • The detective must not himself commit the crime.
  • The detective must not light on any clues which are not instantly produced for the inspection of the reader.
  • The stupid friend of the detective, the Watson, must not conceal any thoughts which pass through his mind; his intelligence must be slightly, but very slightly, below that of the average reader.
  • Twin brothers, and doubles generally, must not appear unless we have been duly prepared for them.

Of course, this story starts out with saying "No Knox" so who knows. :v:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Let's see what horrible murder is committed next! :allears:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

It's a from an old 4chan meme "Japanese bird cooking spaghetti."

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

That's no problem at all. After all, with everyone in one room, when Eva and Hideyoshi turn up dead it'll be obvious Beatrice killed them! Uu!

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

One thing I like about Umineko is that the characters are rather three dimensional. None of them really fit into any simple stereotype.

Sure, a bunch of them are jerks. But they're still people, with hopes and dreams and worries.

And then they all die horribly.

All alibis confirmed. Told ya'll Beatrice did it! :v:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

It's.... really spoilery.

It really is more aimed at people who've read it already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Kinzo is the best Santa. :allears:

Though he kind of missed the point.

You're in snow, not fire Kinzo. :v:

• Locked thread