Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
heroiccreampuff
May 29, 2012

penguins love soccer

toanoradian posted:

Goddamn that is a ton of text. Also a lot of ellipses. Is this common in visual novels (although this is more of a 'kinetic' novel?) or is this just normal for Japanese literature?

Wait, Seacats :confused: I thought it was "seagulls".

In a "pure" Japanese writing style, a period, which looks different from an English one, is just to denote the end of a sentence. The closest thing to ellipses I've seen is the long line marks they like to use. But that's for traditional top-down, right-left Japanese. I guess they don't like using the line in European-style left-right writing formats? I do see ellipses in VNs all the time.

Seacats is a pun. 'Umineko' can be read as 'umi' or sea, and 'neko', which is cat :3: Obviously that's not what it's meant to be read as officially. It confuses me too because I thought seagull was 'kamome'. Shows what I know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heroiccreampuff
May 29, 2012

penguins love soccer

Smooglii posted:

The black-tailed gull is literally called "sea cat" in Japan and "cat gull" in Korea because I guess they sound like cats, which is why Rosa said "myaa myaa cries."
Ah cool, thanks for the correct. I had been wondering if it wasn't a specific breed.

Also now you guys have me all excited for some crazy raving old man totally smashed on absinthe or some Asian equivalent thereof. Seriously if that's absinthe that he's drinking, then diluting it with water is supposed to be the standard way of preparing it. If he's been imbibing it straight his whole life he must be pretty badass and crazy.

• Locked thread