Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
A single death isn't much of a spoiler. I can think of things that'd be far more spoilery, and even then most of them'd only be confusing out of context (though I still recommend against looking up anything Umineko related). Don't worry about that particular spoiler you were exposed to.

I got more spoilers than you did, but I still was surprised by a lot of things, even including some of the things I was spoiled on (seeing the actual execution is another matter entirely).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
Don't assume this follows Knox or Dine's rules as linked earlier in this thread. Nor that it doesn't follow any of them. I encourage you to come to your own conclusions.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Fightest posted:

The thing is that these rules establish a fair mystery. Sure, one or two can be omitted to flesh out the story, as mentioned upthread, and add some interesting obfuscation, but some adherence is necessary. Otherwise it'd just be a game of baseless speculation where nobody could prove anything. The "no conspiracy" rule is particularly vital here, because otherwise we could just say "Kinzo had the servants commit suicide after they ganged up on their victims" and have no meaningful proof one way or the other. Following this, I will not be considering any options where a conspiracy is present. Others are actually welcome to consider conspiracy, we'll cover more bases that way.

Umineko does try to be a fair mystery and is intended to be solvable by the end of Episode 4. And it does adhere at least partially to those rules. At least.

Though it'll be quite a while before we see Episode 4. It's a very long work.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
Okay, yeah, that face was excessive. I hadn't played with the newer art, so I'd never seen those CGs. The original has no special CG for this part. It just uses this sprite:

It actually did a pretty decent job of making her creepy without being ridiculously over the top--it was far more subtled, and the fact she was saying stuff like that with a face like that was creepy enough. Just the way she suddenly begins acting differently when talking about witches and whatnot.

Really, the adaptations of the When They Cry series (including the updates with new sprites) seem to have that problem in general of over the top expressions. It'd have been fine if it'd just stopped here
before getting to the truly ridiculous face. The adapters really have no sense of restraint.

Kaja Rainbow fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Nov 20, 2012

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
EDIT: Redacted since I don't want to add any more to this spoiler train.

Kaja Rainbow fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Nov 22, 2012

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Idran posted:

Guys, stop it.

It doesn't have to be a plot element to be a spoiler.
Yeah, that's why I didn't want to talk too much about it, and I've now edited it out of my post.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Rodyle posted:

Well there certainly was a backlash when EP8 dropped, on both Japanese and English sides of the internet.
EP8 was definitely odd. I liked it, though. It did some interesting things, just not quite what many people were expecting. But let's not discuss it in any more detail than that. I think people should get to experience it for themselves and decide whether or not they like it.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
I haven't had much to say before because I've already read the whole thing, including a chunk of the side material. So there isn't much I can say without being spoilery. But I'll say that while I overall like the old art better for its expressions, this is my first time seeing the whole thing with the new art, and I do like some of the new CGs. My favorite's probably that one of Maria standing there facing the wall (and my least favorite's the hugely overdone one of her creepy face).

I've been enjoying seeing your theories and thoughts on this series, and I hope to see more of them. Above all, don't give up thinking. :) And do relax and enjoy the ride.

Kaja Rainbow fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jan 9, 2013

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
It seems a little more evident with the old art than the new art from what I can see, but Bernkastel looks right at the screen when you try to execute her. For some reason that really creeped me out. It's like she's addressing the player directly and mocking your futile effort to kill her. Of course, Beatrice does it too, but Bernkastel just somehow seemed more creepy about it. That emotionless expression definitely had a lot to do with that.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
You're the one raining on the party. Let them enjoy gathering their own evidence and making their own theories. Besides, I'm enjoying those theories (and I'm saying this as someone who's read the entire series).

Kaja Rainbow fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jun 20, 2013

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

The 19th Person posted:

Y'know it is more satisfying for people to reach the answers and come to an understanding on their own instead of having someone over their shoulder say "no the correct answers/themes are this and this", like a teacher in a bad literature class.

Also people who have already completed the series for themselves should really avoid posting anything with regard to speculation, whether it be helpful hint or purposeful misdirection. Let the readers drown in a sea of theories like we once did.
This. It's why I've been purposely avoiding commenting on that sort of thing. Means I don't have a lot to say in general, but I do add input where I see room for it (like commenting on the differences between the original and PS3 graphics).

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Jeek posted:

And a really basic question here: Are we supposed to solve all murders for all four episodes in order to "beat" the game?
Well, there're the clues within the first four episodes if you want to solve it. But even then you might not be able to figure it out until later episodes, though it's possible.

I never really solved it on my own, since my boyfriend ended up telling me the answer one episode before the episode that basically spelled it out. Others I know didn't figure it out until that episode. Still, I was able to enjoy it just for the characterization.

Kaja Rainbow fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 27, 2013

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

EagerSleeper posted:

So in this installment, we explored the sexual possibilities of a stake-made-orifice, while Gohda confirms my suspicion of him being one of my favorite characters.

Now I kinda want to ask if I can post the side material about him. It's mostly just about how he got hired to work at this island and stuff. Shouldn't be any spoilers, but I'll inspect it just in case (other stuff from Tsubasa're way more spoileriffic for the point we're at right now).

EDIT: Nevermind, it can wait. But I do like Gohda.

Kaja Rainbow fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 1, 2014

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Whoops! It's been a while, so I had forgotten. There we go, then. That TIP made me like Gohda a whole lot more, even if I wish he would treat some of the other servants better (even if he did have his reasons).

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

InfiniteJesters posted:

Here, have a goldmine of homebrew Umineko comedy:

http://uminekossg.byethost7.com/generator/generator.html

(WARNING: Contains semi-spoilers.)

Yeah, that screenshot generator can be fun occasionally to play with. Definitely spoilery, though. Pretty sure I've seen a version that's at least a little more up to date, too.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Wait, we're supposed to be trying to figure out whodunit and howdunit this early? It's kinda hard when reality changes what events happen between episodes.

It's too early for that, but it's not a bad thing to form theories. Just revise them as new stuff comes in. (And be cautious of getting so stuck to a pet theory that you ignore evidence to the contrary.) Or you can just wait until a later Episode to start trying to figure it out.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
Ah, Lambdadelta. :allears: I've been waiting for her appearance. One of my favorite characters. You can see why already with the whole 'Super Paper' business.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

whitehelm posted:

I'm 95% sure this opening is only supposed to be for Episode 4 (which is why it spoils all the new characters). Episode 3 uses the second OP again.

I just doublechecked with my own installed copy, and, yeah, this is pretty much true. Well, not a biggie--those openings're only intended to tease, and you don't really learn anything other than that those characters show up later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Rangpur posted:

Even the outrageous gore we've seen (read?) so far doesn't phase me much, but I wince whenever Rosa starts in on the emotional abuse. It's made even more painful by the implication she doesn't hate her daughter, but sometimes she gets so mad that she just... can't... help it. For all the crazy poo poo that goes down in his games, details like that cut the deepest. Glad you're still going with this. I need to go back to my playthrough now that you're catching up.

Was this posted in the thread yet?
Interview with Ryukishi07 (in Japanese, w. English subtitles)

Rosa is a very complicated and painful character. Pretty much the whole family is, really, but her especially. And if the author really was a social worker, that explains a lot.

And for those wondering whether to look at that interview, it's a nifty behind-the-scenes look without any spoilers that I could see. I didn't know the studio was a family business. It also dates from when they were putting out Higurashi.

• Locked thread