Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Whew... found the thread a few days ago, finally caught up. I've read some of the manga quite a while back - episode 1, the beginning of episode 2 (not even as far as the thread's gotten), and, due to a mistake in titles, the very beginning of what I think I eventually established was episode 4 - but sadly never finished. Great LP so far, Shiny!

A couple of thoughts... First, 6x9=42 is true in base 13. I wonder how significant that is. Kinzo brought it up after mentioning that there would be 13 sacrifices. The 6 could go with the number of sacrifices in the first twilight, I suppose; I don't know what else it would be. 9 or 42? No clue. If I'm right about the 6, perhaps something to due with the ritual? Or I could be way off base, it could be something else entirely, or I could be reading too much into it and it's actually insignificant.

Second, can we really just... take Beatrice at her word when she says the red text is true? Maybe I'm just rather distrustful, but that seems like an easy way to cover lies as truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Oh, I'd completely forgotten about that. Then reading too much into it, it is. It stuck out to me because he'd just mentioned the number 13 before giving us a base 13 equation. Anyway, thanks!

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

Even a few months later, the whole red text thing still bugs me. I accept that it's a rule to facilitate a game, like chess pieces being arbitrarily limited in how they can move. But I've been thinking a bit about a recent argument I was in, and worked my way to a topic possibly related to Umineko - the red text has been established to only be used to tell the truth, but has the VN or the thread ever addressed whether this is only for objective truth, or if subjective truth works fine, too?

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

tiistai posted:

This is an excellent question.

But no, the VN hasn't directly addressed the exact nature of red text yet.

Yeah, this is what got me thinking about it. I'd rather not believe that the character we're playing as is objectively incompetent. :colbert: Also, laughing in red text? There has to be something else to it.

On the topic of solving the murders: I've not much experience with this kind of mystery, nor do I seem to have the kind of creativity needed to come up with solutions. I mean, the obvious one for a locked-room mystery would be suicide, but there are too many deaths for that to explain everyone, at least, and many of the injuries also seem like they would be difficult to accomplish on oneself. I wish I could just go read a bunch of locked-room mysteries to try to help with that, but school leaves little time for doing so.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

Mercury Hat posted:

And Zack Ater, the general rule of closed room murders is they have to be fair if they're going to be solvable and Umineko lays out the rules for each closed room in the red text. It tells you how many keys exist to a room, how many entry points there are, whether the door can be locked without a key, and so on.

Yeah, I understand the rules, I just have trouble thinking of solutions to them. There's suicide, gas, poison, some kind of trap set up in the room? Past that, I've got no real ideas, and poison is the only one of those I can remember being brought up by the game at all, and I think that was just when Rosa was being paranoid about everyone. Reading some classics might help give me new ideas. I don't read enough mystery anyway.

Mercury Hat posted:

But of course a witch turning into butterflies and entering through the keyhole doesn't contradict any of those things :).

But magic and witches aren't real :colbert:

Rodyle posted:

My honest suggestion is to not bother trying to solve things, just accept events as they happen. Especially in the second half.

That just makes me more want to solve them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

What are you talking about, magic doesn't exist. :colbert:

• Locked thread