Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Paracelsus posted:

Or a magic bullet.

Regarding the list, as I understand it the "no Chinamen" rule had to do with villains who could avoid normal physical limitations like locked rooms due to their ~mysterious oriental ways~. Of course, the ~mysterious~ character here is the conspicuously occidental one.

There were also apparently a lot of low-effort stories where your cast of characters would include Lord Robert, Madame Gwendolyn, and the nefarious slit-eyed Chi Lin. They were mysterious near-strangers and I don't think they ever had a good reason to be the culprit. It was a step below "the butler did it" in terms of predictability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Kytrarewn posted:

As far as Shannon and George's relationship- I can't really get too terribly hung up over the age difference. Shannon has been working for her bread for many years at this point, and is 15 in the present day? And 7 year age difference is a lot smaller once you tack 10, or even 5 years onto either of their ages.

Also- I can't help but feel like, to some degree, the ages were just poorly thought-out and not necessarily an important plot point in the context of their relationship (which would be more creepy).

You don't have to justify it (and why are you trying to?). If you remember his weird as hell proposal, George is just a creep :).

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Kreeblah posted:

Just play it with the original artwork. It's fine (and less generic).

Yeah, the big failing with RK7's art is hands and proportions. As long as you aren't looking at the character portraits, it's easy to get used to. He's definitely improved since the dodge and burn days of the flipper handed Higurashi sprites.

Some of the original faces are a lot more entertaining, mostly Beatrice's.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I love how Rosa's written, she's one of my favorites. It's why I like Umineko more than Higurashi, the larger focus on adult characters. Children are okay characters, but don't usually have the potential to be as nuanced, you can do a lot more with adult characters. Natsuhi and Rosa are both very good examples of this.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Finally, ...Maria realized that her mother had turned back to being her mother.

Maria's compartmentalization of her abuse as being done when Rosa is possessed by a Witch and turning into Bad Mama always gets me. To see her begging for her "real" Mama to come back is just heartbreaking :( . Maria was very annoying to me in episode 1, but then when you see her horrible treatment here you feel guilty for thinking badly of her.

Mother of the Year indeed, goddamn, Rosa.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Shiny777 posted:

: "My, my, isn't that wonderful. It's best for kids to have dreams. By the way, Rosa, how old will Maria be this year again...?"

God drat, Eva. All the siblings sniping at each other is great, I wonder if they'd give Rosa half as much poo poo if they realized just how badly she abuses Maria.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

redsoxism posted:

Can we please leave all this Rosatrice nonsense behind for now? There are just way too many reasons to do so but it would be difficult to state them here without spoiling anything. Suffice it to say, it would just be completely disrespectful to the entire series if we continue to indulge in this train of thought.

But isn't saying this exact thing a spoiler? You're clearly implying that Rosatrice is bunk somehow by it being "disrespectful" to the series.

Any theory that encourages people to re-read things and look for clues is a good thing. The whole point of a mystery like this is for people to group together to try to solve it. You don't have to "push" anything, if someone has read it and wants to lead people down a false trail, who cares? It'd make for more interesting discussion than if everyone figured out the answer on episode 2/8 because of some "helpful" posts by you.

It's a mystery series written by a guy famous for having (Higurashi spoiler) brain controlling parasites and government conspiracy in his last series.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Shiny777 posted:

Part Nine: The Banquet of Miracles Begins (Section A)

And now we get to actually see the epitaph in full.

My beloved hometown, the sweetfish river running through it.

You who seek the Golden Land, follow its path downstream and seek the key.

If you follow the river downstream, you will find a village.

In the village, look for the shore the two will tell you of.

There sleeps the key to the Golden Land.

He who lays hand upon the key shall travel under the rules below.

At the eighth twilight, gouge the leg and kill.

At the ninth twilight, the witch shall be revived and none shall be left alive.

Nine lines about ritual mass murder and Battler quotes how much Kinzo loves Beatrice and his hometown when he calls it disturbing. Battler has some weird ideas about what qualifies as disturbing.

At the tenth twilight, the journey shall end and you should reach the village of gold.

So Kinzo's set up an elaborate riddle/murder ritual to...try and kill absolutely everyone so he can resurrect Beatrice, only to put her right back to sleep forever almost immediately and undo everything he just accomplished, unless someone proves themselves qualified to inherit everything by being really good at riddles.

That is...certainly a plan!

Also, so we've got our first mystery now in the form of the riddle side of this. Finally.

Quote link goes to the full update.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

It's not really possible to discuss the nature of the red text without giving away themes of the story, I don't think.

But it is true that Battler is incompetent, if you want to calibrate your bullshit detector :v:.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Episode 2 is probably my favorite of the 4. I always forget about the slow start and remember Rosa fighting goats.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

You're given enough information both textually and subtextually to make a very good guess as to what's going on. But there's no parlor scene. Nobody sits down and explains everything in a black and white flashback before the perpetrator is carted off to jail.

There's also a competing theory that, in my opinion, doesn't stand up to the text evidence like the main theory does.

It encourages re-reading to really get a good grip on the story and there are a lot of scenes that seem out of place that make a lot more sense on a re-read.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

If your super power is being able to analyze text and subtext, you can probably solve the closed room murders with just the information in episodes 1 and 2. Depending on your definition of "solve", of course ;).

And Zack Ater, the general rule of closed room murders is they have to be fair if they're going to be solvable and Umineko lays out the rules for each closed room in the red text. It tells you how many keys exist to a room, how many entry points there are, whether the door can be locked without a key, and so on.

But of course a witch turning into butterflies and entering through the keyhole doesn't contradict any of those things :).

That said, I'm rubbish at solving murder mysteries and just buckled in for the ride when I read through it.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

The thank you image doesn't really have anything to do with anything, it's just an artsy picture. Unless you think Kinzo is really 20 feet tall.

I wouldn't put it past Kinzo.

And yesssss, episode 3 is my favorite of the first 4 episodes.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Remember, though, that Rosa, Maria, Genji, and Battler (and Kinzo) aren't listed as dead at the end of episode 2, they are missing because they have been invited to the Golden Land :) .

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

All the Ushiromiya kids had a hard life and it's amazing none of them took the time to poison Kinzo's absinthe.

RK07 has a depressingly good hold on how to write abusive family dynamics.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Paracelsus posted:

On the other hand, Nanjo is something like friends with Kinzo. That requires a certain amount of crazy to override the self-preservation instincts that would ordinarily prevent such a thing from happening.

He's also been the family physician for decades, think of all the times he's had to patch up the kids after Kinzo played Punch Out on their faces :( .

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

This upcoming scene is my favorite in the first 4 episodes, I think.

I admit, when I first read this my eyes just glossed over all talk of Hempel's Raven and paradoxes and such. I'm the kind of person RK07 hates, because I just stopped thinking and waited for the game to tell me the answer. All this talk between Battler, Beatrice, and the demons is a way to get the reader to start thinking about other possibilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

The strength of Umineko's writing is the characters, and especially it's rarer to see well-developed adult characters in a lot of stories, popular comics/animation stories especially. The hot-blooded young teenager or 20-something is well-known, but a middle aged business mother gets less play.

Even accepting some issues with characterization, most of the female characters in particular are done well.

• Locked thread