Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

mrnoun posted:

The Luna Landers offer:
1934 Gabby Hartnett
1970 Jim Fregosi

The Antarctic Unspecifieds offer:
1965 Harmon Killebrew
1965 Earl Battey

:psyduck:

That is one of the worst trades I have ever seen. Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pete Ladd
Mar 9, 2012

Revenant Threshold posted:

Unconvinced on both Carey and Damon - how would you feel about one of those, plus Rucker?
I suppose i'd better. Various permutations of my squad have had some, you've just caught me at a point where I don't.

I suppose Carey and Rucker is the best return I'm likely to get with all these corner sluggers on the market. Sold.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Trades count as getting some use out of them, I think. Yeah, consider it a done deal.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
The Postmodernist-Mathematcians trade is approved.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
Hello, expansion team owners!

Some of you may be aware of a certain amount of... tension... between the Luna Landers and the San Juan Tigres. I thought I would just explain the situation a bit for you.

The Tigres currently have a deal on the table to acquire the great Jimmie Foxx, one of the best power hitters of all time. As they are in my division, I would like to prevent them from doing so, for obvious reasons. Now, in order to make the trade, they have to give up their starting 3rd baseman, Mike Schmidt. Without Schmidt, they're left with the rather less effective Ritchie Hebner as their 3rd baseman.

So, in order to make the Foxx trade work for them, the Tigres are desperate, desperate to acquire a replacement 3rd baseman from somewhere. And they will turn to you with these offers.

I will tell you right now. You have all the leverage. The Tigres need to deal right the gently caress now because every passing update brings them one step closer to relegation. They can't afford to wait. You, on the other hand, have a whole Expansion Cup ahead of you to tinker with your players and figure out who's good and who isn't, and then the Dispersal Draft to replace some of the "isn't".

The longer you wait, the more desperate the Tigres will get.
The more desperate the Tigres get, the more you can get from them in any deal.

Patience, and you can milk them dry.

Now, as it happens, there is also a personal beef between the Landers and the Tigres. So when, in the fullness of time, the Tigres come to you in desperation, I urge you: give me a chance to top their offer, as I did for Killebrew. You'll get a chance at better players, and I'll get a chance to fulfill my oath. It's win-win for everyone involved who matters.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

NotThatSamBeckett posted:

Well, for Womack I could offer Dyar Miller. reliever, career ERA+ 114.

:frogsiren: Trade Offer :frogsiren:

Rlyeh Cultists

Tony Womack (2003 Arizona Diamond Backs)

Postmodernists

Dyar Miller from whatever team you have him from - please tell me the year when you accept.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
The most meaningless trade in Super-League history is approved. If either of your teams has cause to use either of the players traded, something has gone terribly, terribly, terribly wrong.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

The Tigres are 1.5 games out of the division lead. The Senor Goodtimes division is incredibly volatile and competitive. I am not overly concerned about having to hold on to Mike Schmidt, the greatest 3rd baseman of all time, if that's what it comes down to.

Expansion owners, do you love the Yankees? The Knicks? The Celtics? All of those horrible, rich teams with their unbelievably annoying fans? That's who the Luna Landers are. Support the little guy. Deal with the Tigres.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I have my own personal biases, but there are only a handful of players I would trade Mike Schmidt for. Foxx is not one of them. Keep Mike Schmidt.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Would you trade Jimmie Foxx for a random nameless third baseman who's hitting .170 with a .530 OBP?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

How far you have fallen Schmidtty ... :negative:

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax
Greetings, thread!

I have a ware I would like to peddle.

First, I have Larry Walker. This stud can play CF OK, but he's a capable corner outfielder who will get on base around 36% of the time.

For reference:

SLIII: .319 AVG, .418 OBP
SLIV: .274 AVG, .343 OBP
ECV: .267 AVG, .348 OBP

The only reason I'm not using him in the league right now is because of an injury (and now I've replaced him with Mel Ott).

What am I looking for?

I don't really know. I need a better bullpen or a top-flight 2B. My team is underperforming as a whole right now but it'd be hard to replace anyone. I guess I'd also consider a DH.

Please let me know if you're interested! I'm willing to part with basically anyone because I like to trade. Thanks!

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Hey, new owners! I need a couple of spare relief pitchers. Nothing fancy, just somebody serviceable. Hit me up and we can trade spare parts.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Trade Offer:

Tigres de San Juan receive:
2002 Billy Koch

Philadelphia Longshots receive:
1978 Larry Bowa

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

tatankatonk posted:

Trade Offer:

Tigres de San Juan receive:
2002 Billy Koch

Philadelphia Longshots receive:
1978 Larry Bowa

emptyquoting this. And Bowa in for Hammer now

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Aug 7, 2012

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

The Tigres-Longshots trade is approved. Useless reliever for useless infielder!

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Smasher Dynamo posted:

The Tigres-Longshots trade is approved. Useless reliever for useless infielder!

More useless than Jose Valverde? Impossible!!

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

All right, let's call it.

Registration is over!

tatankatonk

Time for you to get to work.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Smasher Dynamo posted:

All right, let's call it.

Registration is over!

tatankatonk

Time for you to get to work.

Gotcha.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
Team Name: Hakata Runnin' Ramen

Team Logo (150x150 preferred): tba

Home City: Fukuoka, Japan

Home Stadium: Yahoo Dome

DH Preference: No DH

28-Man Roster:
Hitters:
C Ted Simmons ('82 MIL)
C Miguel Montero ('11 ARI)
1B Andres Galarraga ('93 COL)
1B/OF Dale Murphy ('79 ATL)
2B Kelly Johnson ('11 ARI)
SS Wil Cordero ('94 MON)
SS Robin Yount ('82 MIL)
3B Bob Horner ('79 ATL)
LF Moises Alou ('94 MON)
CF Paul Molitor ('82 MIL)
RF Larry Walker ('94 MON)
OF Justin Upton ('11 ARI)
OF Marquis Grissom ('94 MON)
OF Dante Bichette ('93 COL)

Pitchers:
SP Pedro Martinez ('94 MON)
SP Don Sutton ('82 MIL)
SP Ian Kennedy ('11 ARI)
SP Phil Niekro ('79 ATL)
SP Ken Hill ('93 MON)
CL John Wetteland ('94 MON)
RP Rollie Fingers ('82 MIL)
RP J.J Putz ('11 ARI)
RP Butch Henry ('94 MON)
RP Jeff Fassero ('94 MON)
RP Mel Rojas ('94 MON)

Minors:
SP Andy Ashby ('93 COL)
SP Pete Vuckovich ('82 MIL)
3B Charlie Hayes ('93 COL)

Will figure out the lineups later.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Ned posted:

Home City: Fukuoka, Japan

Home Stadium: Yahoo Dome

SP Don Sutton ('82 MIL)

RP Rollie Fingers ('82 MIL)

What.

: Oh, get on with it Smasher! The croaking ramen bowl doth bellow for revenge!

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

The Merry Marauder posted:

What.

: Oh, get on with it Smasher! The croaking ramen bowl doth bellow for revenge!

I've been living in Fukuoka for two years now. It's a pretty awesome town.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Ned posted:

I've been living in Fukuoka for two years now. It's a pretty awesome town.

No argument! It's just that I've been running a team in this League based in Fukuoka, playing on the "smoldering ruins of the Fukuoka Dome," built around Rollie Fingers (and Don Sutton), for quite a while now.

Now, you had no way to know that, in this new thread, so my retribution will be purely professional and not personal between our teams. A gentlemen's competition, as it were.

Best of luck in the Expansion Cup!

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!
Rated R Superstars

The Rated R Superstars have passed a trading bylaw, governing how their owners will propose and approve trades. The bylaw reads as follows:

quote:

Any owner may propose a trade of the Superstars’ assets to any other team(s). These trades require a majority vote of the Superstars' ownership to be approved. If one of the Superstars’ owners is also the owner or part-owner of another team involved in the trade, that owner may not vote on the trade; approval of this trade would then require a majority of all non-conflicted ownership holders. If there is a tie among the non-conflicted owners, the trade would not be approved.

Revisions to this rule, including elimination of this rule, must be supported with just cause and be approved by 80% of the Superstars' ownership.

This bylaw was passed with approval by The Goog, Senerio, Cthulhu Dreams and Pungry.

Also, the Superstars passed a bylaw regarding the division of ownership shares:

quote:

Ownership of the Superstars will be divided into 100 shares, with each share representing an equal stake in the ownership of the team. Each of the five initial owners (TKBomber7285, Pungry, Cthulhu Dreams, The Goog, Senerio) is issued 20 shares. Owners may trade, sell, auction, donate, surrender, and in any other way divest themselves of their shares in any way they see fit. Shares may not be destroyed except in the methods specified by this bylaw, or by order of the commissioner of the Super League.

Creation of new shares must be approved by 100% of the Superstars’ ownership. Allocation of unowned shares must be approved by 80% of the Superstars’ ownership. If any share of the team is unowned for more than one calendar week, the share(s) will be destroyed.

Revisions to this rule, including elimination of this rule, must be supported with just cause and be approved by 80% of the Superstars' ownership.

This bylaw was passed with approval by The Goog, Senerio, Pungry and Cthulhu Dreams.

The Goog fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Aug 7, 2012

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

The Goog posted:

Rated R Superstars

The Rated R Superstars have passed a trading bylaw, governing how their owners will propose and approve trades. The bylaw reads as follows:

This bylaw was passed with approval by The Goog, Senerio, Cthulhu Dreams and Pungry.

Also, the Superstars passed a bylaw regarding the division of ownership shares:

This bylaw was passed with approval by The Goog, Senerio, Pungry and Cthulhu Dreams.

I approve, again. In case you think The Goog is lying.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
as stated, I approve of all these methods, and if any other things show up that I am claimed to have approved of, assume I have unless I post otherwise.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

The Goog posted:

Rated R Superstars
quote:
Any owner may propose a trade of the Superstars’ assets to any other team(s). These trades require a majority vote of all owners to be approved. If one of the Superstars’ owners is also the owner or part-owner of another team involved in the trade, that owner may not vote on the trade; approval of this trade would then require a majority of all non-conflicted owners. If there is a tie among the non-conflicted owners, the trade would not be approved.

Ownership of the Superstars will be divided into 100 shares, with each share representing an equal stake in the ownership of the team. Each of the five initial owners (TKBomber7285, Pungry, Cthulhu Dreams, The Goog, Senerio) is issued 20 shares. Owners may trade, sell, auction, donate, surrender, and in any other way divest themselves of their shares in any way they see fit. Shares may not be destroyed except in the methods specified by this bylaw, or by order of the commissioner of the Super League.

Creation of new shares must be approved by 100% of the Superstars’ ownership. Allocation of unowned shares must be approved by 80% of the Superstars’ ownership. If any share of the team is unowned for more than one calendar week, the share(s) will be destroyed.

Approved.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

Oh, and one more thing for the Superstars!

quote:

The Superstars will not, under any circumstances, challenge the New York Macho Men without approval by 100% of the Superstars’ ownership.

This one was approved by me, Pungry and Cthulhu Dreams after Senerio went to bed, but it was his idea in the first place. I think.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

The Goog posted:

The Superstars will not, under any circumstances, challenge the New York Macho Men without approval by 100% of the Superstars’ ownership.

I Approve the Brooklyn Bruiser Bylaw

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

The Expansion Team Banners I have so far:

Fly free little...I have no idea what kind of bird that is, I'm not a birdwatcher.

Despite having been killed off twice, blackmongoose is ready to once more perfect the union of sport and state!

You'll probably want to replace that logo at some point.

Potatoes can never die!

Bring back Johnny Hopp!

Madison? poo poo, there's nothing funny about Madison.

The recipient of over $!00 million in defense appropriations, the Splinter Cells are the Super-League's last line of defense from Russian neo-Communist teams.

The most gentlemanly of all Super-League clubs!

The end is the beginning and the beginning is the end.

With a name like the Longshots, you know things are bound to work out just great!

Let's see you find a better picture of a "Superba"!

The Gallant of the Corporate teams, to the Bearers' Goofus.

The nameless ones aren't evil! They just want to give the world a hug. Forever.

Straight edge means this joke has a half-life of three weeks.

Not quite as good as the Jack Sox or the Bobby Sox, but it's the best we could do after 1968.

Second time's the charm?

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Let's see you find a better picture of a "Superba"!

I found this delightful old Brooklyn Superbas logo!

Then I ruined it with shoddy lazy MS paint editing!

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

You know, brothers, it occurs to me that I may have been presumptuous. I came into this thread filled with enthusiasm and shouted, for all to hear, that the original Great Googly-Mooglies were making a comeback. I had the essence of rock and roll coursing through my veins, and I didn't slow down my cosmic exuberance long enough to give the Mooglies a proper introduction, for those who might not have been around for our first interstellar tour:

Teams Selected: 1911 Philadelphia Athletics, 1934 Cleveland Indians, 2009 Cleveland Indians

Home Stadium: I've played many venues in my time, some you wouldn't believe even if I described them. My favorite, though, is a little green patch of grass in a backwards hick town called Boston. Fenway Park.

DH Preference: Let me ask you something, friend: Did you ever see a six-legged pegasus try to play a seven-handed guitar? It's the damnedest thing, really. Hilarious. Godawful music, though. DH, please.

25-Man Roster:

C 2009 Victor Martinez
1B 1934 Hal Trosky
2B 1911 Eddie Collins
SS 2009 Asdrubal Cabrera
3B 1911 Frank "Home Run" Baker
RF 2009 Shin-Soo Choo
CF 1934 Earl Averill
LF 2009 Grady Sizemore
DH 2009 Travis Hafner

BN 1911 Jack Lapp
BN 1911 Stuffy McInnis
BN 1934 Joe Vosmik
BN 1911 "Lightning" Amos Strunk
BN 1985 Joe Carter (acquired in Super Draft II)

SP 1934 Mel Harder
SP 2009 Cliff Lee
SP 1911 Eddie Plank
SP 1911 Chief Bender
SP 1934 Monte Pearson

RP 2009 Rafael Betancourt
RP 1987 Tom Henke (acquired in Super Draft I)
RP 2006 Brandon League (acquired in trade with Rated R Superstars prior to Super League VII)
RP 2009 Chris Perez
RP 2009 Justin Masterson
RP 2009 Ted Lilly (acquired in trade with Rated R Superstars prior to Super League VII)

Minors:

1911 Bris Lord
1911 Danny Murphy
2003 Kenny Lofton (acquired in trade with Detroit Switchblades on July 22 in Super League I)
1934 Belve Bean
1934 Lloyd Brown
1978 Bill Lee (acquired in Super Draft II)
2009 Matt Herges
2009 Tony Sipp
1911 Cy Morgan
2009 Joe Smith

Lineups:

vs RHP

1. Eddie Collins 2B
2. Shin-Soo Choo RF
3. Earl Averill CF
4. Travis Hafner DH
5. Home Run Baker 3B
6. Victor Martinez C
7. Grady Sizemore LF
8. Hal Trosky 1B
9. Asdrubal Cabrera SS

vs LHP

1. Eddie Collins 2B
2. Home Run Baker 3B
3. Earl Averill CF
4. Travis Hafner DH
5. Joe Carter LF
6. Victor Martinez C
7. Joe Vosmik RF
8. Hal Trosky 1B
9. Asdrubal Cabrera SS

NOTE: Please use Jack Lapp as the personal catcher for Mel Harder. On days Lapp starts, Victor Martinez should play first base and bat sixth, with Lapp catching and batting eighth. Hal Trosky would ride the bench.

Pitching Rotation:

SP1. Mel Harder
SP2. Cliff Lee
SP3. Eddie Plank
SP4. Chief Bender
SP5. Monte Pearson

LR Ted Lilly
MR Justin Masterson
SR Chris Perez
SR Tom Henke
SU Brandon League
CL Rafael Betancourt

Strategy:

Hit and Run: 0
Sacrifice Bunt: -5
Squeeze Play: 1
Trying for extra bases: 1
Stealing Bases: 0
Aggressively Tagging Up: 2
Pitch Outs (to prevent stolen bases): -2
Giving Intentional Walks: -3
Pitching Around Good Hitters: -2
Bringing the Infield In: -3
Guarding the Lines: -1
Making Cutoff Throws: 0
Bringing in Pinch Hitters: 0
Bringing in Pinch Runners: -1
Bringing in Defensive Replacements: 0
Starting Pitchers on Short Rest: -1
Letting pitchers pitch throw trouble: 0
Letting Pitchers rack up high pitch counts: 2

The Goog fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 10, 2012

Ordius
Aug 4, 2012

Here we go.

Roster:
Starting 9

Cobb RF
Suzuki LF
Boggs 3B
Griffy Jr DH
Hamilton CF
Olerud 1B
Guillen SS
Ross C
Boone 2B

Bench

Crawford OF
Dunn LF
Bush IF
Delahanty IF
Votto 1B
Martinez 1B/DH
Bellhorn IF

Pitching:

Clemens SP
Summers SP
Donovan SP
Hurst SP
Seaver SP

Benitez CL
Sasaki SU
Soriano SR
Sambito SR
Hasegawa MR
Mullin LR

Bullpen Bench
Boyd SP

Sliders
Hit and Run and Bunt/Squeeze sliders up to +4
Defensive Replacement slider down to -3

Trade Bait
I need pitching of all types. I have a boatload of hitting. I've got Adam Dunn from 2007 before he hit his career low, I've got Edgar Martinez with an OPS+ of 141 and a career OPS+ of 147, I've got John Olerud (unless I win the auction bid, in which case Martinez and Olerud are gone) with a career OPS+ of 129. I've got rookie Joey Votto, I've got the Saint of Bellhorn. I've got Jim Rice, Hall of Famer LF with an OPS+ of 137 and Dwight Evans, All-Star RF with an OPS+ of 131 and a multiple Gold Glove winner. Mike Greenwell, with a career BA over 300 and a career OPS+ of 121. Seriously. LOTS of hitting. Just tell me what you're interested in.

Archie Goodwin
Jan 2, 2012
Using intelligence guided by experience since 1934.
Team Name: Lombard Street Gumshoes

Team Logo:

Teams Selected:
1954 New York Giants (4)
1978 California Angels (3)
1995 Cincinnati Reds (2)
1989 Philadelphia Phillies (1)

Home City: San Francisco, California

Home Stadium: Bourbon Field (Open, natural grass, Fair visibility, 347/380/415/395/360)

DH Preference: No, thanks.

Position Players:

C 1978 Brian Downing
C 1989 Darren Daulton
1B 1989 John Kruk
1B 1954 Monte Irvin
2B 1978 Bobby Grich
SS 1995 Barry Larkin
3B 1989 Zombie Mike Schmidt
3B 1954 Hank Thompson
IF 1954 Al Dark
LF 1995 Ron Gant
CF 1954 Willie Mays
CF 1989 Lenny Dykstra
RF 1995 Reggie Sanders
UT 1978 Don Baylor

AAA UT 1989 Von Hayes
AAA 2B 1995 Bret Boone

Pitching Rotation:

SP 1978 Nolan Ryan
SP 1978 Frank Tanana
SP 1954 Sal Maglie
SP 1954 Johnny Antonelli
SP 1995 Jose Rijo

CL 1954 Hoyt Wilhelm
SU 1995 Michael Jackson
SR 1989 Steve Bedrosian
SR 1995 Jeff Brantley
MR 1989 Terry Mulholland
LR 1995 John Smiley

AAA 1995 David Wells

Lineups:

SS Barry Larkin
2B Bobby Grich
CF Willie Mays
1B John Kruk/Monte Irvin
RF Reggie Sanders
C Brian Downing (Daulton catches for Antonelli)
LF Ron Gant
3B Mike Schmidt

Strategy (Rate on a scale from -5 to +5)

Hit and Run: -4
Sacrifice Bunt: -4
Squeeze Play: -4
Trying for extra bases: +1
Stealing Bases: -1
Aggressively Tagging Up: -1
Giving Intentional Walks: -4
Pitching Around Good Hitters: -3
Bringing the Infield In: +1
Guarding the Lines: +2
Making Cutoff Throws: +1
Bringing in Pinch Hitters: -1
Bringing in Pinch Runners: -2
Bringing in Defensive Replacements: +1
Starting Pitchers on Short Rest: +2
Letting pitchers pitch throw trouble: 0
Letting Pitchers rack up high pitch counts: +1

I am offering for trade a number of good bullpen arms not shown on my roster, such as; from the World Champion Giants, Marv Grissom (1954 OPS+ 174/career 116) and Al Worthington (119/110); as well as '78 Dave LaRoche, as seen on the Skyhawks (129/106); and '89 Roger "Roddy" McDowell (177/115).

For obvious reasons, I would welcome Don Slaught from South Bolton on my team.

Archie Goodwin
Jan 2, 2012
Using intelligence guided by experience since 1934.

Ordius posted:

Trade Bait
I need pitching of all types. I have a boatload of hitting. I've got Adam Dunn from 2007 before he hit his career low, I've got Edgar Martinez with an OPS+ of 141 and a career OPS+ of 147, I've got John Olerud (unless I win the auction bid, in which case Martinez and Olerud are gone) with a career OPS+ of 129. I've got rookie Joey Votto, I've got the Saint of Bellhorn. I've got Jim Rice, Hall of Famer LF with an OPS+ of 137 and Dwight Evans, All-Star RF with an OPS+ of 131 and a multiple Gold Glove winner. Mike Greenwell, with a career BA over 300 and a career OPS+ of 121. Seriously. LOTS of hitting. Just tell me what you're interested in.

Archie Goodwin posted:

I am offering for trade a number of good bullpen arms not shown on my roster, such as; from the World Champion Giants, Marv Grissom (1954 OPS+ 174/career 116) and Al Worthington (119/110); as well as '78 Dave LaRoche, as seen on the Skyhawks (129/106); and '89 Roger "Roddy" McDowell (177/115).

Seems like a fortuitous overlap. I'm interested in most of those guys, honestly, so let's do a few swaps?

e: I think I'd prioritize Evans/Rice/Votto, because Big Donkey Dunn isn't quite a fit for my team, sadly, and I'm not using a DH. 2003 Gar Martinez in the field might be optimistic.

Archie Goodwin fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 7, 2012

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
I've been updating my original version so I have it all written down someplace, but here's a more up to date one.

Originally formed as the result of a bet between two wealthy scions of opposing colleges, the Oxford Mathematicians were created as a testament to the overbearing colonialist attitudes pervasive within certain sects of those hallowed universities. After all, what the Americans can do, the British can do better! Yeah, that didn't work too well.

Years later the team limps on largely as a joint practical exercise by professors at both Oxford and Cambridge in advanced numerical studies, sustained by bequests the origins of which are only described in tobacco- and wine-stained tomes. In actuality this means graduate students are occasionally sent notes to deliver or money to drop off, and told to go carry that box of equipment, but everyone presumably learns something, and that's the main thing.

Rumours that this unsupervised exercise added to the pressure of exams has led a to rampant belief in numerology in coaching staff, and an emerging numeric priesthood among the tenured, are strictly denied.

Team Name: Oxbridge Mathematicians

Feeder Teams:
1911 Brooklyn Dodgers
1919 Pittsburgh Pirates
1997 Kansas City Royals
1999 Tampa Bay Devil Rays - 1p each for 4 total
1940 Pittsburgh Pirates
2004 Florida Marlins - 2p each for 8
2011 San Fransisco Giants - 3p for 11.

Trades:
Jack Clark (SLC '85) with notthatsambeckett for Max Carey (PP ' 19) and Nap Rucker (PP '19)
Joe Gordon (NYY '43) with tatankatonk for Armando Benitez and AJ Burnett (both FM '04) and Dan Runzler (SFG '11)
Dick Dietz (ATL '73) with the St. Paul Bearers conglomerate for Roberto Hernandez (TBDR '99)
Chick Stahl (BOS '02) with The Goog for Santiago Casillas (SFG '11)

Team Logo:

Home City: Milton Keynes, UK

Home Stadium: The Quadrangle (dimensionally equivalent to Citi Field)

DH Preference: Yes

28-Man Roster

-Hitters (14)

Dick Dietz (ATL '73) (from trade)
Buster Posey (SFG '11)
Jack Clark (SLC '85) (from trade)
Jay Bell (KCR '97)
Pablo Sandoval (SFG '11)
Arky Vaughan (PP '40)
Vince DiMaggio (PP '40)
Miguel Cabrera (FM '04)
Carlos Beltran (SFG '11)
Jose Canseco (TBDR '99)
Joe Gordon (NYY '43) (from trade)
Fred McGriff (TBDR '99)
Zack Wheat (BD '11)
Chick Stahl (BOS '02) (from trade)

-Pitchers (11)

SP Tim Lincecum (SFG '11)
SP Matt Cain (SFG '11)
SP Madison Bumgarner (SFG '11)
SP Babe Adams (PP '19)
SP Josh Beckett (FM '04)

CL Brian Wilson (SFG '11)
SU Sergio Romo (SFG '11)
SR Jeremy Affeldt (SFG '11)
MR Ramon Ramirez (SFG '11)
MR Rick White (TBDR '99)
LR Wilbur Cooper (PP '19)

-Minors (3)
Mike Sweeney (KCR '97)
Mike Lowell (FM '04)
Bob Elliott (PP'40)

-Lineups

Against LHP
2B Joe Gordon
SS Arky Vaughan
1B Jack Clark
LF Miguel Cabrera
DH Jose Canseco
RF Carlos Beltran
C Buster Posey
3B Pablo Sandoval
CF Vince DiMaggio

Against RHP
2B Jay Bell
SS Arky Vaughan
CF Vince DiMaggio
1B Miguel Cabrera
DH Fred McGriff
LF Zack Wheat
C Buster Posey
RF Carlos Beltran
3B Pablo Sandoval

Strategy
Hit and Run: -4
Sacrifice Bunt: -3
Squeeze Play: 0
Trying for extra bases: 1
Stealing Bases: -1
Aggressively Tagging Up: -2
Giving Intentional Walks: -2
Pitching Around Good Hitters: 3
Bringing the Infield In: 0
Guarding the Lines: -1
Making Cutoff Throws: -1
Bringing in Pinch Hitters: 0
Bringing in Pinch Runners: -1
Bringing in Defensive Replacements: 1
Starting Pitchers on Short Rest: -2
Letting pitchers pitch throw trouble: -1
Letting Pitchers rack up high pitch counts: -2

Revenant Threshold fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Aug 20, 2012

Outrunner
Aug 5, 2012
Guess my logo was too big for the banner so I'm posting a new one.

Ginge
Sep 8, 2011

Well, Chippy is already my favourite character!

Updated line-up, now with Frank Thomas (I have no idea how I missed Frank Thomas).

Batters (14)
C Jim Sundberg ('79 TEX)
C Javy Lopez ('93 ATL)
1B Fred McGriff ('93 ATL)
1B Frank Thomas ('01 CWS)
2B Ray Durham ('01 CWS)
3B Terry Pendleton ('93 ATL)
3B Home Run Baker ('18 NYY)
SS Roger Peckinpaugh ('18 NYY)
SS Jeff Blauser ('93 ATL)
LF Ryan Klesko ('93 ATL)
LF David Justice ('93 ATL)
CF Al Oliver ('79 TEX)
RF Magglio Ordóñez ('01 CWS)
OF Oscar Gamble ('79 TEX)

Pitchers (11)

SP Greg Maddux ('93 ATL)
SP John Smoltz ('93 ATL)
SP Tom Glavine ('93 ATL)
SP Fergie Jenkins ('79 TEX)
SP Mark Buehrle ('01 CWS)
RP Mike Stanton ('93 ATL)
RP Dazzy Vance ('18 NYY)
RP Keith Foulke ('01 CWS)
RP Jim Kern ('79 TEX)
RP Greg McMichael ('93 ATL)
RP Mike Wohlers ('93 ATL)

Minors (3)

3B/SS Chipper Jones ('93 ATL)
2B Del Pratt ('18 NYY)
SP Steve Avery ('93 ATL)

Lineups:

vs RHP:

2B Ray Durham
CF Al Oliver
3B Home Run Baker
1B Frank Thomas
LF David Justice
RF Oscar Gamble
C Jim Sundberg
SS Roger Peckinpaugh
<pitcher>

vs LHP:

2B Ray Durham
CF Al Oliver
3B Home Run Baker
1B Frank Thomas
LF Oscar Gamble
RF Magglio Ordóñez
SS Jeff Blauser
C Jim Sundberg
<pitcher>

Bench/unplatooned:

C Javy Lopez
1B Fred McGriff
3B Terry Pendleton
LF Ryan Klesko

Pitching Rotation:

Rotation:

SP Greg Maddux
SP John Smoltz
SP Tom Glavine
SP Fergie Jenkins
SP Mark Buehrle

Bullpen:

CL Mike Stanton
SU Jim Kern
SR Greg McMichael
SR Keith Foulke
MR Mark Wohlers
LR Dazzy Vance

Looking to trade for an SS, if anyone has any spare.

Ginge fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Aug 7, 2012

Ordius
Aug 4, 2012

Archie Goodwin posted:

Seems like a fortuitous overlap. I'm interested in most of those guys, honestly, so let's do a few swaps?

e: I think I'd prioritize Evans/Rice/Votto, because Big Donkey Dunn isn't quite a fit for my team, sadly, and I'm not using a DH. 2003 Gar Martinez in the field might be optimistic.

I'm interested in LaRoche. The availability of Evans and Votto are currently tied up in an auction bid, but I still have Rice available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

Revenant Threshold posted:

-Lineup

1B Fred McGriff
CF Vinco DiMaggio
LF Jack Clark
DH Miguel Cabrera
RF Carlos Beltran
1B Fred McGriff
3B Pablo Sandoval
SS Arky Vaughan
2B Jay Bell
C Buster Posey

This is a monster lineup, what with The Crime Dog leading off and in the 6 hole.