Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Well, you guys certainly have been busy. I'll be able to be on more tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
I come bearing a terrifying message of hope!

People of the expansion class, in a certain sense, I am happy to see you be so numerous. But in a much more real sense, I can't help be feel as if you are a bit too numerous.

Therefore, I give you the following options:

Expand the Super-League to 30 teams

Pros
-Everyone gets a chance at the full Super-League season!

Cons
-Significantly more work for me
-Most of the worst teams wouldn't be competitive anyway

Keep the Super-League at 24 teams

Pros
-Keeps me (relatively) sane
-Ensures only the strong survive

Cons
-Will kill between six and eight teams before they get the Super-League
-Requires the operation of a second Gauntlet to whittle down the Expansion teams to a more reasonable number

So, 24 or 30!

Vote now!

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Personally, I think this is a decision for you, so take my vote as for whichever option is best for you, but I suspect it is cull the weak

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Having to make these rosters by hand has me hating these new teams already, so kill half of them.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007
^^^ fake edit: :frogon:

You've been wanting more readers since two seasons ago, you finally get them and you want to cut back? :wtc:

30 teams or bust!

(although I won't be angry either way)

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
As you might have inferred, I'm of two minds on the subject, hence my decision to have you guys decide for yourselves.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

My share of the St Paul Bearers votes for a massive class of teams!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
All in, balls out

Wait, that's not the theme anymore. The weak must be saved. and by that I mean eliminated

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
I vote 30 teams! Go big or go home.

Ginge
Sep 8, 2011

Well, Chippy is already my favourite character!
Signing my own death warrant in all likelyhood here, but 24 teams has proven itself as a great format.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

gingemidget posted:

Signing my own death warrant in all likelyhood here, but 24 teams has proven itself as a great format.
This would be my thoughts too.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
The Vice City Goose Eggs are still in the market for upgrades at 2B(mainly) SS, and 3B. Mainly because Tulo and Bell's performances in the last Expansion Cup didn't exactly instill much confidence in them. I still could turn to RANCE in a pinch, though. McManus started getting serviceable starting in 1922, but serviceable would only take him so far.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
I'll vote for 30 teams. The League must be even more Super!

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Hope this doesn't come back and bite me but keep it at 24 but usually a few people drop out before the season starts anyways.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
The weak must pay! 24 teams!

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Moose made a good point; I'll vote for 24 teams with the stipulation that owners dropping out of contact before SL7 get priority cuts. I'd rather have attentive owners of bad teams than halfway decent teams with nobody steering the ship.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I think the question you need to answer first is whether or not this is going to be the last season (for whatever period of time) or not. If you want to take a break after the upcoming season, then go hog wild and make it 30. If you want to keep it going, drop it to 24.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I'm gonna get defensive for a little bit and argue '50 Andy Seminick is a much better catcher than '85 Darrell Porter. 288/.400/.524 for a .925 OPS/143 OPS+ as a catcher? Yes please. That line blows Porter out of the water and certainly overcomes whatever defensive gaps there may or may not be between the two. Also is younger and not a cocaine addict.

As for the 24/30 teams, I'm fine with either.

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax
Both wrong.

There shouldn't be two gauntlets.

Take every team that doesn't make the playoffs in the Super League and every team that doesn't make the playoffs in the EL and throw them in a SUPERGAUNTLET. 16 teams from the SuperLeague, 12 teams from the Expansion Cup, two 50-game seasons (with owner input at the 50-game mark), top 14 make it to the show.

Not only does this cut a SIGNIFICANT amount of work out for you (you only have 2 gauntlet rounds!), it ensures that every team gets a full-ish season of "for real" play. Make it SL6.5 or whatever.

If you want to make it even jazzier, you can have a relegation draft afterwards. The worst teams after the first 50-game season is dispersed and drafted among the participants in the supergauntlet, to strengthen them for SLVII should the time come.

For example

Teams a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,j,k,l,m,n from SLVI
Teams A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J from ECVI

50 game gauntlet #1
order: C,a,d,c,E,H,l,A,b,B,n,F,i,g,I,j,f,D,H,G,m,e,h,k,J

J and k dispersed among remaining 22 remaining teams

50 game gauntlet #2
order: d,H,C,a,e,h,m,G,F,c,E,A,l,n

14 teams advance

bottom 2 teams in second gauntlet form dispersal class for SLVII

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Purge the weak.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

factorialite posted:

Take every team that doesn't make the playoffs in the Super League and every team that doesn't make the playoffs in the EL and throw them in a SUPERGAUNTLET. 16 teams from the SuperLeague, 12 teams from the Expansion Cup, two 50-game seasons (with owner input at the 50-game mark), top 14 make it to the show.

This is a clever idea.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

C. Everett Koop posted:

I think the question you need to answer first is whether or not this is going to be the last season (for whatever period of time) or not. If you want to take a break after the upcoming season, then go hog wild and make it 30. If you want to keep it going, drop it to 24.

Changing my vote to this.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

The consensus is that the weak must be culled so that the strong may thrive. I approve of this development, and I'll figure out exactly what the format of the Super-Gauntlet will be at some point.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Okay, so, it'll still be a couple of days before the Expansion Cup is ready to start. In the meantime, why not take the Official Super-League Personality Test that, for all you know, is very important to league operations and definitely just something to keep the thread busy for a bit!

Let's begin!

Question 1

I want my team...

A. To be champions!

B. To be remembered.

C. To not completely suck.

D. To prove them wrong.

Question 2

The core of a successful Super-League team is...

A. Its bats

B. Its pitching

C. Its owner's cunning

D. Its heart

Question 3

Your team is middling. But, if you take a certain risk, it may become a contender, or may be relegated after the season. If you do nothing, your team will probably survive, but certainly won't win a championship. Do you...

A. Take the risk! Death of glory!

B. Hold off on the risk! They'll be time enough to perfect the team in the offseason!

C. I don't know, I just don't know!

D. Oh, God! What do I do? Tell me what to do!

Question 4

Is Marauder evil?

A. 'Good' and 'evil' are moral constructs that have little meaning inside the world of the Super-League, where cooperation is effectively impossible and one team's survival requires the death of another. To be 'good' in such a world is to be suicidal, to be 'evil' to merely desire to continue to live, and so the words lose all meaning. Yes, Marauder is 'evil', and we should all aspire to be so.

B. Marauder is an elemental force. A human being can be 'good' or 'evil', but you would not call a tornado or a volcano or a meteor streaking towards the ground to be 'good' or 'evil'. These forces will assuredly cause pain, cause suffering, but they cannot be 'evil' for it. Marauder is like a walking hurricane. He destroys, he ruins, but he cannot help this any more than the water can help being wet.

C. Nietzsche wrote of a society that grow decrepit as its morals and ethics lose meaning the light of technological and societal progress. These values, in this new age, tie down mankind and prevent its progress. Even worse, their decay leads to nihilism and the loss of all values. In such a situation, it is imperative on a great person to rise above the herd and their conceptions of 'good' and 'evil' to assert new values to form the foundation of a new society. Marauder merely wishes to save the Super-League from such a dreary fate, even if he is branded 'evil' by the decaying culture he seeks to transform.

D. Yeah, man, dude's totally evil.

Question 5

The thesis of Moneyball is that it is incumbent on ballclubs to forever seek out market inefficiencies in order to give their team the best return on investment. What is the greatest market inefficiency in the Super-League today?

A. Defense. Too many teams have put absolutely brutal defenders in the field and then been shocked when their pitching falters as a result.

B. Contact hitting. Given the abundance of good pitching, especially from the deadball era, drawing walks in considerably harder than it is in real life. On the other hand, contact hitting appears to be much less affected by the superior pitching in the Super-League.

C. Relievers. While relief pitching is hard to predict, it is not impossible to predict, and performs an essential role in a league where the hitting in supercharged.

D. If I know what it is, wouldn't it be important for me not to publicize that information?

Question 6

My team sucks. What the gently caress went wrong?

A. I hosed up.

B. It's just bad luck.

C. Smasher's out to get me.

D. All part of the plan!

Question 7

The best player of all time was...

A. Babe Ruth

B. Walter Johnson

C. Josh Gibson

D. Ted Williams

E. Write-in

Question 8

My ideal castle is...

A. In a abandoned land, devoid of people, but full of memories of times long past.

B. A mighty keep that overlooks my lands and reminds my people of the power of their lord.

C. Atop a floating island that glides along with the win, never stopping in any place for too long.

D. Inside a mountain, mostly hidden from view and wholly impregnable for any would wish to take it from me.

Question 9

The biggest Hall of Fame Snub is...

A. Tim Raines

B. Alan Trammell

C. Jeff Bagwell

D. Write-in

Question 10

The best sci-fi franchise is...

A. Star Trek

B. Star Wars

C. Battlestar Galactica

D. Doctor Who

E. Write-in

Question 11

Should Chicago forgive Steve Bartman?

A. Yes!

B. No!

C. You're totally going to kill all of teams that picked 'yes', aren't you?

Question 12

If the Sun is one, and the Moon is two, then what is the Earth?

A. Zero

B. Three

C. Five

D. Thursday

Question 13

Will the new season of Community suck?

A. 'Suck' is a strong word, it probably won't be quite as good, as it depended a lot on the sensibilities of Dan Harmon to work properly, but it will still be competent enough. It'll still be canceled, though.

B. It will. The essential problem with Community is that, on paper, it's not a particularly strong premise for a series, take away the guy who made it into something more, and you've got something that's going to go off of the rails, and fast.

C. Hey, Community already had something like 70 episodes! Where I come from, that's an insanely long run for a show!

D. I watch The Big Bang Theory!

Question 14

Out of all of the idiotic characters Smasher has created, the one I'd want most on my team is...

A. St. Mark Bellhorn

B. "The Chosen" Dunn

C. Eri Yoshida

D. Is death an option? It is? Then I'll choose death.

Question 15

What was the point of this?

A. It's complicated!

B. Smasher is desperately trying to keep this thread active!

C. Smasher's trying to get inside our heads! Don't you understand, this is all part of his evil plan! We must stop him!

D. Smasher's got to know exactly how much lunacy the lot of you can tolerate.

Bonus Essay Question

You are John Constitution. The year is 2687 and the world is once again in crisis. The raiders of New Dakota have stolen the Master Infosphere of Third Milwaukee. With the city only five days away from crashing into Lake Huron-Michigan, it is up to you to retrieve the Infosphere.

Making matters worse, one raider captured in the attack has revealed that he and his associates were working for Cardinal Severn, the sovereign lord of NeoCanada. Clearly, by destroying Milwaukee he hopes that the passes of Sault Ste. Marie will be left unguarded and his robo-legions will easily be able invade and occupy the entire region.

To the best of your knowledge, the raiders are currently making their way across the rad plains of Iowa, inhabited solely by commutants, a vicious breed of degenerates who have adopted Marxism in order to cope with the harsh realities of living in such a blasted land.

What do you do? What do you do?

For the purposes of this question, assume that your Hover-Mazda has been fully repaired after the Rockford incident.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
1.B
2.D
3.B
4.D
5.A
6.B
7.A
8.C
9.D, Pete Rose through 2012, Barry Bonds if he doesn't make it in in 2013
10.A
11.A
12.B
13.A
14.B
15.D

The Hover-Mazda's navigation software will never withstand the EMP storms that roll across Iowa. Get on your cyber-horse, befriend the commutants, and have them lead you to the raiders. Once you've got the infosphere back, use its hidden powers to redirect the EMP storms towards the UP, preventing Severn's robot hordes from ever crossing into America.

tatankatonk fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Aug 10, 2012

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
1: C
2: C
3: B
4: B
5: D
6: A
7: A
8: B
9: D: Pete Rose
10: D
11: C
12: D
13: A
14: A
15: D

Bonus:

[insert Monty Python's "Too silly, too silly!" colonel here]

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Okay, so, it'll still be a couple of days before the Expansion Cup is ready to start. In the meantime, why not take the Official Super-League Personality Test that, for all you know, is very important to league operations and definitely just something to keep the thread busy for a bit!

Let's begin!

Question 1

I want my team...

e)To ascend to demigod-hood.

Question 2

e)The whims and caprice of an a flippant commissioner.

Question 3

Your team is middling. But, if you take a certain risk, it may become a contender, or may be relegated after the season. If you do nothing, your team will probably survive, but certainly won't win a championship. Do you...

A. Take the risk! Death or glory!

Question 4

Is Marauder evil?

e) As a child, I once sat at the foot of a river, prodding the waters with my stick. A wandering monk took note of this and walked over. He asked me what I was doing so close to the river.

"I'm moving the leaves in the water." I said.

"Look closer. What are you really doing?"

"The leaves of the river must move around my stick." I replied.

"You may move the leaf, but the river flows but one way. If the leaf ends up at the mouth of river anyway, did you move it really?"

Then the monk pushed me into the river.

The monk was Marauder.

Question 5

The thesis of Moneyball is that it is incumbent on ballclubs to forever seek out market inefficiencies in order to give their team the best return on investment. What is the greatest market inefficiency in the Super-League today?

e) SuccessfulStudent.

Question 6

B. It's just bad luck. (that Smasher is out to get me)

Question 7

E. Adam Greenberg

Question 8

My ideal castle is...

e) White, and it serves sliders all day.

Question 9

D. That it took Ron Santo's loving death to get him in the Hall, jesus christ what the gently caress is wrong with you people

Question 10

E. Heroes (with a Glee gang tag)

Question 11

Question 12

e) 32.1% iron, 30.1% oxygen, 15.1% silicon, 13.9% magnesium, 2.9% sulfur, 1.8% nickel, 1.5% calcium, 1.4% aluminium, trace.

Question 13

e) Wouldn't know never seen it.

Question 14

Out of all of the idiotic characters Smasher has created, the one I'd want most on my team is...

Question 15

e)What is the sound of a prayer unuttered?

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
1:I want my team...

2:The core of a successful Super-League team is...

E. A couple of good players who don't die and a lot of luck.

3:Your team is middling. But, if you take a certain risk, it may become a contender, or may be relegated after the season. If you do nothing, your team will probably survive, but certainly won't win a championship. Do you...

B. Hold off on the risk! They'll be time enough to perfect the team in the offseason!

4:Is Marauder evil?

E. My answer to this was going to be that only history is a true and fair judge, but then a mysterious box appeared next to me, a decrepit, decaying figure falling out, who after being told on a question what year it was immediately expired, his last words a string of mixed curses and desperate thanks given that he could die in a time as yet untainted by the demon. So I guess yes.

5:The thesis of Moneyball is that it is incumbent on ballclubs to forever seek out market inefficiencies in order to give their team the best return on investment. What is the greatest market inefficiency in the Super-League today?

D. If I know what it is, wouldn't it be important for me not to publicize that information? I mean, I don't know, of course, but if I did I don't think i'd say.

6:My team sucks. What the gently caress went wrong?

A. I hosed up.

7:The best player of all time was...

A. Babe Ruth

5: My ideal castle is...

E.Airing weekly on Channel 5.

9: The biggest Hall of Fame Snub is...

D. Probably someone i've never heard of.

Question 10

E. Blake's Seven. If you've never seen it, a ragged team of ne'er-do-wells, idealists, and criminals attempt to defeat an evil empire, suffering tragedy and loss before eventually succumbing to their inevitable fate. The parallels draw themselves, I think.

11:Should Chicago forgive Steve Bartman?

12:If the Sun is one, and the Moon is two, then what is the Earth?

A. Zero

13:Will the new season of Community suck?

E: Never seen it, really, except for all the youtube clips people send me to try and interest me in it.

14:Out of all of the idiotic characters Smasher has created, the one I'd want most on my team is...

15:What was the point of this?

Bonus Essay Question

If my Hover-Mazda is repaired, clearly my technical team have been infiltrated by spies from the Great Eastern Empire. The correct answer is to do nothing - if such cunning foes are aiding me, whatever they expect me to do will only benefit them in some way. Let themn inherit a scorched earth - let them own the ashes.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
1.C
2.D
3.B
4.D
5.D
6.A
7.D
8.A
9.E Pete Rose
10.B
11.C
12.D
13.A
14.D
15.B
16.Hover-Mazda? What happened to my rocket-propelled zeppelin?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

1 A. To be champions!
C. Its owner's cunning
A. 'Good' and 'evil' are moral constructs that have little meaning inside the world of the Super-League, where cooperation is effectively impossible and one team's survival requires the death of another. To be 'good' in such a world is to be suicidal, to be 'evil' to merely desire to continue to live, and so the words lose all meaning. Yes, Marauder is 'evil', and we should all aspire to be so.
A. Defense. Too many teams have put absolutely brutal defenders in the field and then been shocked when their pitching falters as a result.

Judging by my roster though, I'm sure hoping that B is part of the answer to, and Hornsby is to old for A. Also, defence is pretty weird in BM2013. As is game calling.
A. I hosed up.

C. Josh Gibson as a complete position player who could play catcher very well every day - a tough defensive cornerstone position - and still hit for power. That said it's close. It heavily depends on how you define best, and what you consider baseball. It's probable that the best major league baseball player ever is Babe Ruth. Every time the metrics to measure value are redefined, Babe remains king of the hill. But it's close. Teddy williams minus the war years may be better. Very close.

But if we expand to 'all of baseball' three options come into play:

A) Satchel Paige, who is clearly the best pitcher to ever play baseball, and it's not even close. Paige's playing career started at 41 and he then posted a higher career ERA than Bert Bleveyn and Phil Neikro, who retired at 41 and 39 respectively. If he had of played MLB from 21 onwards, he would easily post the numbers to be the best pitcher to every play MLB. It's likely that he had thrown more pitches by the time he retired than any professional player ever. If he was on the juice Clemens style, no-one knows what might have been possible.

B) Josh Gibson, a contender because he's a truly massive power hitter that could play catcher rather than being stashed in the outfield. It's hard to tell how good he was defensively so assuming Gibson could 'merely' hit as well as Aaron, and Gibson had the rocket throwing arm and defensive skills history assigns him, Gibson would probably win. Neither Babe nor Teddy were exactly good at defending. Babe forced his opposite corner outfielder to play in the sun because Babe was worried that he'd make defensive errors. Teddy plainly didn't give a poo poo about the tedious fielding stuff separating him from his next at bat. Gibson on the other hand could play catcher and apparently play it well.

C) Oscar Charleston. We'll obviously never know, but of these three Oscar has the weakest case over Ruth and Teddy.

Satchel Paige remains the bridesmaid as he cannot truly compare to an every day player but if he's the perfect player at his position, does not that make a compelling case? How do you even define best? It's possible that he was the best pitcher ever by a country mile, whereas the gap between Teddy Ballgame and Babe Ruth is not that large, indeed Teddy Williams might be better, and the gap between Teddy and say, Dimaggio isn't very large either. If we look at it is 'who stands so far out from their peers that there can be essentially no debate as to their greatness' Satchel Paige is the the most perfect baseball player, because he is just so much better than anyone else on the list.

C. Atop a floating island that glides along with the win, never stopping in any place for too long.
D. I'm tempted to say Shoeless Joe Jackson because I'm pretty sure the guy didn't do anything wrong.. and he was pretty good. But then again, didn't Jim Wynn get exactly 0 votes despite being a pretty legit contender, especially if you normalise for his lovely, lovely hitters park. The man has a lifetime OPS+ 128. BBWAA gave votes in that year to loving Tommy Helms, who is in every measurable respect worse at Baseball than Jim Wynn. That's not just a snub, that's a massive gently caress you from the BBWAA, so that clearly wins.
D. Doctor Who that said it's close.
A. Yes! I think having to have lived in hiding for all these years is pretty bad.
D. Thursday
A. 'Suck' is a strong word, it probably won't be quite as good, as it depended a lot on the sensibilities of Dan Harmon to work properly, but it will still be competent enough. It'll still be canceled, though.
C. Eri Yoshida as long as I can keep her in the minors.
[b]D. Smasher's got to know exactly how much lunacy the lot of you can tolerate.

Montage as I convert the Commutants to warriors for justice, then I kill all the robots.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Aug 10, 2012

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
Question 1

I want my team...

B. To be remembered.

Question 2

E. A gimmick that won't get stale by midseason

Question 3

Question 4

Is Marauder evil?

E. 'Good' and 'Evil' are societal constructs, not absolutes. While the Super League on the surface appears chaotic, it can be demonstrated that in fact it represents an emergent society. This society is built around the free-market concept of competition, which is, as described in answer 'A', inherently amoral--neither good nor evil. However, the Super League is more specifically a zero-sum competition: for one team to survive, another must die. In such a social framework, morality can exist. For example: Team A and Team B are battling for survival. Team C, which has no chance of survival, chooses to send its best players to Team A, ensuring their survival. Had Team C killed Team B in the course of ordinary competition, there would be no moral judgement. However, Team C voluntarily disrupted the nature of the competition, choosing who would live and who would die. Morally, Team C is responsible for Team B's death, and has de facto committed murder. The proof that Marauder is guilty of similar de facto murder is left as an exercise for the reader.

Question 5

E. The greatest inefficiency in the Super League right now is complementary players.

Question 6

E. I lacked patience.

Question 7

E. Willie Mays. Offense AND defense.

Question 8

My ideal castle is...

E. gently caress it, I'll just build a moonbase or something.

Question 9

D. Bobby Grich. Second base is THE hardest position on the field to fill, and Grich was both an outstanding fielder and one of the top 10 all-time in OPS+ for second basemen.

Question 10

E. gently caress it, I'll just build a moonbase or something.

Question 11

Question 12

E. The square root of three.

Question 13

E. Who cares? Arrested Development is coming back!

Question 14

E. I can't believe that dude didn't carry Johnny Hopp on his roster.

Question 15

E. If you say something egregiously stupid, Smasher can milk a few updates out of it.

Bonus Essay Question

You are John Constitution. The year is 2687 and the world is once again in crisis. The raiders of New Dakota have stolen the Master Infosphere of Third Milwaukee. With the city only five days away from crashing into Lake Huron-Michigan, it is up to you to retrieve the Infosphere.

Making matters worse, one raider captured in the attack has revealed that he and his associates were working for Cardinal Severn, the sovereign lord of NeoCanada. Clearly, by destroying Milwaukee he hopes that the passes of Sault Ste. Marie will be left unguarded and his robo-legions will easily be able invade and occupy the entire region.

To the best of your knowledge, the raiders are currently making their way across the rad plains of Iowa, inhabited solely by commutants, a vicious breed of degenerates who have adopted Marxism in order to cope with the harsh realities of living in such a blasted land.

For the purposes of this question, assume that your Hover-Mazda has been fully repaired after the Rockford incident.

Answer:

It's Third Milwaukee. Who loving cares if it crashes into Lake Huron-Michigan? The Lakelings are dicks anyways, always lording it over us Earthwalkers. "What happened to your tail, Constantine?" "What do you mean you can't breathe underwater, Constantine?" "Stop checking out my hot mermaid daughter, Constantine!"

And frankly, neo-socialized medicine would do the region a world of good.

Build a moonbase and ride the 'crisis' out from the safety of orbit.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Question 1

I want my team...

B. To be remembered.

Question 2

C. Its owner's cunning

Question 3

Question 4

Is Marauder evil?

C. Nietzsche wrote of a society that grow decrepit as its morals and ethics lose meaning the light of technological and societal progress. These values, in this new age, tie down mankind and prevent its progress. Even worse, their decay leads to nihilism and the loss of all values. In such a situation, it is imperative on a great person to rise above the herd and their conceptions of 'good' and 'evil' to assert new values to form the foundation of a new society. Marauder merely wishes to save the Super-League from such a dreary fate, even if he is branded 'evil' by the decaying culture he seeks to transform.

Question 5

C. Relievers. While relief pitching is hard to predict, it is not impossible to predict, and performs an essential role in a league where the hitting in supercharged.

Question 6

A. I hosed up.

Question 7

E. Sir Barrold Bonds

Question 8

My ideal castle is...

D. Inside a mountain, mostly hidden from view and wholly impregnable for any would wish to take it from me.

Question 9

A. The Rain Man

Question 10

B. Star Wars

Question 11

D. Should blame Alex Gonzales instead

Question 12

E. The square root of negative one.

Question 13

E. Who gives a poo poo?

Question 14

B. "The Chosen" Dunn

Question 15

Bonus Essay Question

Answer:

Hail Satan

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Let's begin!

Question 1

Question 2

C. Its owner's cunning

Question 3

Question 4

Is Marauder evil?

Question 5

Question 6

A. I hosed up.

Question 7

D. Ted Williams

Question 8

My ideal castle is...

Question 9

C. Jeff Bagwell

Question 10

E. Write-in

Farscape

Question 11

Question 12

B. Three

Question 13

Question 14

Question 15

B. Smasher is desperately trying to keep this thread active!

Bonus Essay Question

[/quote]

Easy, we send a super spy to infiltrate the raider group, learning what they want and their power structure. When they come to wherever we are we talk to them in the language and form an alliance.

Then, when they think they are comfortable with us, we lore their leadership into room and pick them off one by one, making it look like there is internal strife with the raiders. As the group looks for leadership, I step up proclaiming to lead the raiders to peace and prosperity and use them as my new army.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Let's begin!

Question 1

I want my team...

E. To Save the Super-League.

Question 2

E. Its Morals.

Question 3

E. A true straight-edge team has no need to worry about failing. Go big or go home.

Question 4

Is Marauder evil?

E. He is no more evil than the rest of you owners, drowning in your own vice. The Super-League needs a true savior in order to return to its former glory.

Question 5

E. As previously stated, their morals. The teams in the Super-League are corrupt and must be destroyed in order to be reborn free of vice.

Question 6

E. Someone on the team was secretly not Straight Edge. A truly Straight Edge team cannot fail.

Question 7

E. CM Punk: Best in the world. :smug:

Question 8

My ideal castle is...

E. Far from all vices.

Question 9

D. CM Punk: Best in the world. :smug: :smug:

Question 10

E. Galaxy Quest.

Question 11

D. Was he Straight Edge? Actually, I don't care. If he wants to be forgiven, forgive him but only after being destroyed to be rebuilt Straight Edge.

Question 12

E. Straight Edge.

Question 13

E. The Writers weren't Straight Edge.!

Question 14

E. Nobody as he didn't create CM Punk, Best in the World. :smug: :smug: :smug:

Question 15

E. To spread my method of Straight Edge superiority.

Bonus Essay Question

Let them burn as a message to the world not to get attacked by raiders.

Senerio fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 13, 2012

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!
1. B
2. bats
3. b
4. a
5. d
6. a
7. e: BARROLD LAMAR ".362/.609/.812" BONDS
8. d
9. b
10. b
11. b
12. e: 4
13. a
14. c
15. a

Bonus:

Smoke 'em inside.

Ginge
Sep 8, 2011

Well, Chippy is already my favourite character!
1. C
2. D
3. B
4. A
5. A
6. A
7. C
8. C
9. E; Pete Rose
10. E; None of them
11. C
12. E; Φ
13. C
14. B
15. D

Bonus: Seems like a good time for an Irn-Bru and a nap.

Edit: Still looking for an SS, willing to trade dispersal picks for someone on the Robin Yount-ish sort of level.

Ginge fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 11, 2012

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!
Question 1

I want my team...

The Mooglies' first tour was so good, and so very nearly great...but five seasons is a long time, man. The League's changed. I've changed. We've all changed. I just hope that this reunion doesn't end in demise.

Question 2

B. Its pitching

You need to hit, of course. You need to draft well, make good trades, and not do anything Marauder wants you to do without consulting at least three other people. But if you can't get a guy out when you need to get a guy out, you've got nothing.

Question 3

We only get one life. In most things, we only get one shot. If you've got a chance to go to the dance, boy, you've got to take it. It's the reason that all of my teams have accepted the Commissar's Cup Challenge every year. As long as you'vbe got those dice in your hands, you've got a chance. All you have to do is roll.

Question 4

Is Marauder evil?

So loving evil.

Question 5

D. If I know what it is, wouldn't it be important for me not to publicize that information?

Back on my planet, we have a saying: The purple moon's tides rise on their own; only the moon knows why, and only the moon needs to. The Super League is much the same, in that there's crazy poo poo like a purple moon and everything's loving insane.

Question 6

A. I hosed up.

I really think the London Calling could have been something. It made me smile to see them successful in their challenge. But man, those "greater" Mooglies were just...ugh. When I think of the things that could have been done, even sitting out a year, if I had just brought these men back in the first place...it makes a man weep.

Question 7

E. Barry Bonds

Babe Ruth and Walter Johnson never faced a black man in their life. Josh Gibson, tragic though the circumstances were, never faced a white man. Ted Williams couldn't run or play defense to save his cantankerous old rear end. Barry Bonds did it all, and he did it better than anyone else. If you want to blame him for taking advantage of a horribly unregulated system, then that's fine. But every other player was playing by the same rules, and Barry Bonds was better than all of them.

Question 8

My ideal castle is...

This life is fleeting, as are so many things. Nothing is permanent, nor should it be.

Question 9

D. Marvin Miller

It's not even close. It's disgusting that Marvin Miller isn't in the Hall of Fame. There are players that should be enshrined and aren't, of course. All of the other candidates named have an excellent case, and I can name a dozen more that haven't, didn't or won't get the consideration and recognition that they deserve. But Marvin Miller's exclusion is a slap in the face of the MLBPA, and of every other union in the country.

Question 10

E. The notion that Marvin Miller shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame

I am SO ANGRY ABOUT IT.

Question 11

It's not nice to pick on the weak and ignorant, Smasher.

Question 12

Earth is a rock with some pretty good tunes and more drugs than a man would think can exist. Beyond that, who cares?

Question 13

This, except much more negative. And if they sneak in another Subway episode I might kill someone.

Question 14

A. St. Mark Bellhorn

Part of the reason for this is that I must constantly repent for hating Mark Bellhorn when he was on the Red Sox in 2004. Another part is that a competent backup infielder is worth more than a constantly striking out DH and a 16-year-old knuckleballer. Plus his character's more fun.

Question 15

A. It's complicated!

It mostly involves him wanting us to amuse ourselves so he can have the rest of the day off, though.

Bonus Essay Question

Smasher, when you're done with that, can I get a hit? Thanks, dude.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
If our only team in the next season is a team-by-committee, do we have to come up with an answer that we all approve :v:?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Pungry posted:

If our only team in the next season is a team-by-committee, do we have to come up with an answer that we all approve :v:?

Hell yes! Should be good for a laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010
Question 1

I want my team...

A. To be champions!

There's only reason you step on the field and that's to win championships. Being remembered and humiliating nay-sayers are the consequences of being winners.

Question 2

B. Its pitching

The best super league teams have had superlative pitching. Doesn't mean all excellent pitching teams will be successful (I'm pretty sure the Juggernauts starters are better than mine and yet the records don't quite play that out), but teams that don't pitch well aren't going to have long-term success.

Question 3

There's no glory in not taking any risks, but this is more or less what I ended up doing given this exact situation last season. I only got lucky that my team finally snapped out of their 2 month slump and played .750 ball through the entire last month and I stole the wild card spot from the Unicorns.

Question 4

Is Marauder evil?

I mean, come on, is this really a debate? Still, he's a paragon for all us fellow owners.

Question 5

It's probably this. But it's just more fun to build a team of mashers. Chicks dig the long ball...

Question 6

B. It's just bad luck.

I mean look at this bullshit! Only a 4 game lead over the Oranges with the best team ERA in the league and the 2nd best team HR total in the league. Has to be luck...

Question 7

E. Write-in. Lord Barrold Lamar Bonds

.362/.609/.812. Also 762 HRs. A 40/40 player. 7 MVPs. 8 Gold Gloves...

Question 8

My ideal castle is...

B. A mighty keep that overlooks my lands and reminds my people of the power of their lord.

This is my team's gimmick, right?

Question 9

D. Write-in. All of the greats from the "steroid era".

The goddamn BBWAA is going to snub a whole generation of great players because of PEDs.

Question 10

E. Write-in: X-Files

I guess, even though it probably doesn't qualify as a franchise. It's the only sci-fi I've ever really watched and cared for.

Question 11

A. Yes!

*cough* Alex Gonzalez is the real goat *cough*

Question 12

C. Five

I like five.

Question 13

C. Hey, Community already had something like 70 episodes! Where I come from, that's an insanely long run for a show!

It got a longer run than Arrested Development! But, yeah, I can't imagine with a mass exodus of writers/production staff it'll really feel the same. Cautiously optimistic it'll still be funny despite the differences. Also, Parks and Rec deserves way more recognition and discussion from the internet community than it actually receives. For one, it's a way better show.

Question 14

A. St. Mark Bellhorn

Goog pretty much covered this, except my answer wouldn't include anything about the Red Sox. Alternate answer: Jack McDowell. Guy's been the heart of my team.

Question 15

A. It's complicated!

I needed something to do on a Friday at work.

Bonus Essay Question
No thanks. Not that bored.