Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.
The Sneks take, as was expected, 1985 Lou Whitaker

Tadashi, it is now your pick in the 3rd round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

The Sneki Sneks are trading the current pick in the draft to the Deux Bombers

We get: 1984 Larry Andersen and mentholmoose's 2nd round pick in the next Super Draft.

They get: ... this pick.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

I know he's not as good as his RL counterpart but how the hell did this happen?

Sneki summons 1965 Willie Mays

Chamale is still on the clock, and Harlock is as well.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

The Snekis close out their draft by selecting 2017 Yu Darvish

Chamale is up now, but they might've gone AWOL. If so, that brings forzelt to the dais.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Snekis will have the post up tomorrow evening. Been really busy.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Snekis are back!

Team Name: Center Line Sneki Sneks

Home City: Center Line, MI (Detroit in the Mogul engine)

Home Stadium: Chroma Stadium
Grass surface; excellent quality; excellent visibility, medium length grass

LF: 330
LCF: 385
CF: 420
RCF: 370
RF: 320

Foul Ground Size: Small
Outdoors

CSV
wagneho01,1905
mathech01,1909
cobbty01,1916
johnswa01,1919
ruthba01,1925
mayswi01,1965
bellbu01,1979
gamblos01,1979
jenkife01,1979
alexado01,1979
matlajo01,1979
lylesp01,1979
darwida01,1979
ellisdo01,1979
grubbjo01,1979
anderla02,1984
whitalo01,1985
leiteal01,2002
piazzmi01,2002
vaughmo01,2002
alomaro01,2002
benitar01,2002
weathda01,2002
alfoned01,2002
rodriiv01,2004
penaca01,2004
infanom01,2004
guillca01,2004
monrocr01,2004
whitero02,2004
urbinug01,2004
youngdm01,2004
bondeje01,2004
darviyu01,2017
detrona,19XX <-- The Prize, Nathan Detroit

Lineups:
vs RHP

Ty Cobb - CF
Honus Wagner - SS
Babe Ruth - RF
Oscar Gamble - DH
Lou Whitaker - 2B
Ivan Rodriguez - C
Willie Mays - LF
Nathan Detroit - 3B
Carlos Pena - 1B

vs LHP

Ty Cobb - CF
Honus Wagner - SS
Babe Ruth - RF
Oscar Gamble - DH
Lou Whitaker - 2B
Ivan Rodriguez - C
Willie Mays - LF
Nathan Detroit - 3B
Mike Piazza - 1B

Pitching Rotation:

Walter Johnson
Christy Mathewson
Fergie Jenkins
Jon Matlack
Yu Darvish

Bullpen:
CL: Armando Benitez
SU: Ugueth Urbina
SR: Danny Darwin
SR: Larry Andersen
MR: Dock Ellis
LR: Doyle Alexander

Bench:
Whichever of Piazza/Rodriguez/Pena that isn't playing, Omar Infante, Buddy Bell, Johnny Grubb

Strategy (Rate on a scale from -5 to +5)

Hit and Run:-2
Sacrifice Bunt:-5
Squeeze Play:-5
Trying for extra bases:+5
Stealing Bases:0
Aggressively Tagging Up:+2
Pitch Outs (to prevent stolen bases):0
Giving Intentional Walks:-5
Pitching Around Good Hitters:3
Bringing the Infield In:+5
Guarding the Lines:+5
Making Cutoff Throws:+5
Bringing in Pinch Hitters:-5
Bringing in Pinch Runners:-5
Bringing in Defensive Replacements:-5
Starting Pitchers on Short Rest:+3
Letting pitchers pitch throw trouble:+5
Letting Pitchers rack up high pitch counts:+2

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

I could probably pop out a division preview on either Monday or Tuesday, anyone want to collab?

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

CirclMastr posted:

I can collab if you don't mind the fact that I know nothing about baseball.

That should make it infinitely better. I know just enough about baseball from my past job to be dangerous but not deadly.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

tadashi posted:

I wouldn't mind helping with updates because it's the best way to keep connected to doing stuff my team needs, imo.

I am not sure if I have the right version of BBM for the SL right now. When I can anticipate the schedule, I can be reliably consistent for stuff like that.

2013 is the version in use. It's free on the Baseball Mogul website or I can send you the .exe, just mention me in Discord.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Norris-Smythe Divisional Podcast! (featuring our good pal CirclMastr!

tl;dl: Rakers win, followed by a very close 3 way grouping for whogivesacrapyoudidn'twinthedivision.

cbx fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jun 3, 2022

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Sub-Par League: Royal Division Half-Assed Preview!

I put my name down for a preview and then *wham* my job started dominating my mental health. Serves me right for getting paid a grown-up wage, eh? Anyways. I'm gonna toss the teams on here, give a few quick observations, and then toss out a final prediction. Here we go!

In this division, we've got shepard's Garreg Mach Golden Deer, which is some sort of game reference, right? Right? I'm hip, I'm "with it". Jiggity. Next, it's the Luna Landers, helmed by mrnoun. Prog rock never dies! After that, we have Beet's Saudi Steamrollers. Y'know, I bet if we investigated, we could really get to the bottom of this attempted sportswashing... Next, we have the Camden Buzzsaws, led by Clown Fundamentals, who I am told is a cousin to Cash Considerations. Would have to check the genealogy chart on that one. Finally, it's,the,Fighting,CSVs,of,johnfw50. Comma Separated Values are at the heart of this league, if you think about it. Anyways, let's begin.

First Base
1: Saudi's Jimmie Foxx
2: Luna's John Olerud
3: Camden's Ernie Banks
4: Garreg's Harry Heilmann
5: CSV's McGriff/Bagwell Platoon

Foxx and Olerud are really the only natural 1Bs here, and Foxx hits for more power/more OPS on average. He gets the nod over Olerud for me. I favored Banks out of the final 3 due to his slightly more favorable batting stats through his career as opposed to Heilmann who was a high BA OF with not much else, and McGriff/Bagwell, neither of which have ever been very good in the Mogul engine when compared to their contemporaries.

Second Base
1: Saudi's Gehringer/Sandberg platoon
2: CSV's 1924 Rogers Hornsby
3: Camden's 1926 Hornsby
4: Luna's Whitaker/Grich platoon
5: Garreg's 1980 Lou Whitaker

I tried REALLY HARD not to let my Tigers/Gehringer homerism rule the day here and color my judgement, but I only partially failed. Gehringer/Sandberg is a good platoon to run and offers a more rounded, fool-proof 2B solution with more talent than the other teams have. Next is a closer to prime, if not prime, Rogers Hornsby for that excellent bat and not much else. The Buzzsaw's slightly older Hornsby is next, then the Landers with their Lou Whitaker/Bobby Grich platoon. I love Sweet Lou but I realize he's not the top notch talent in Mogul that I wish he was. Having Grich as his small spoon takes some pressure off, and as such, is a better option than a baby Lou straight up. Sorry Garreg. Sorry Lou.

Shortstop
1: Garreg's A Masked Shortstop
2: Saudi's Vern Stephens
3: Luna's Joe Cronin
4: Camden's Cal Ripken Jr
5: CSV's Cal Ripken Jr

I give the nod here to the custom Masked Shortstop while full well knowing that his foundation is subject to the whims of Mogul. Stephens and Cronin are almost a coin flip, but not quite. I'll give the edge to Stephens. After that, it's a battle of the Iron Men, and I'll take a near-prime Cal over a babby Cal. That's just the way it is.

Third Base
1: Luna's Mathews/Kell platoon
2: Saudi's Brett/Rosen platoon
3: Camden's Chipper Jones
4: Garreg's George Kell
5: CSV's Chipper Jones

A Mathews/Kell platoon only has 2 downfalls, and both are on Eddie. High Ks, weak defense. Having Kell to offset that part of the time definitely helps. After that, former #1 pick George Brett is stuck with Al Rosen in a platoon and will carry his butt all season. Chipper Jones is disappointing, both in real life and in Mogul, but in 2002, is a little better than the singular Kell, and then we have another babby Chipchip to bring up the rear.

Catcher
1: Luna's Cochrane/Hartnett platoon
2: Saudi's Cochrane/T.Simmons platoon
3: Camden's Berra/Lopez platoon
4: Garreg's Bresnahan/Cooper platoon
5: CSV's Piazza/Biggio platoon

I'm using platoon loosely here, everyone. This includes personal catching orders which aren't strictly platoons in the true sense of the word. Anyways. Mickey Cochrane is the standout catcher in this group, and I like him with Gabby Hartnett a tiny bit more than I like him with Ted Simmons, so Luna is 1, then Saudi. After that, I'm partial to Yogi and Javy Lopez, so Camden 3. For the remaining positions, I like how Mogul treats the older catchers better than modern catchers, so Garreg Mach gets the nod over the CSVs.

Designated Hitter
1: Luna's Jimmie Foxx
2: CSV's Barry Bonds the Elder
3: Camden's Albert Pujols
4: Saudi's Barry Bonds the Younger
5: Garreg's Edgar Martinez

This one is tricky. I'm giving Foxx the nod even though I know that Bonds is capable of better seasons. My knocks against Bonds are that Mogul thinks he's soft and knows he's modern. Even so, a prime Bonds will get the nod over a slightly older than prime Pujols, who profiles almost the same as a Foxx. More power, but less overall OBP. Young Barry is still Barry, but prone to larger uncertainty. And then there's Edgar. Nothing against him, I just think that every other DH in this division is better in some way.

Left Field
1: Luna's Ted Williams
2: Garreg's Al Simmons
3: Camden's Babby Bonds
4: Saudi's Gary Sheffield
5: CSV's Tim Raines

Ted Williams is a stud. Al Simmons is cool and good. Babby Bonds is babby, but still Bonds. Sheffield was a Tiger at the end of his career. Raines is a weather condition.

Center Field
1: Saudi's Tris Speaker
2: CSV's Mazus Merciless
3: Luna's Joe DiMaggio
4: Camden's Willie Mays the Elder
5: Garreg's Willie Mays the Younger

This Tris, this Tris! Impeccable. 31 isn't too old to patrol CF. I'm gonna go with the created player next, then the Hit Streak himself, Joe DiMaggio. Has quietly good seasons. If Willie Mays actually performed in Mogul like he did in reality, these rankings would be flipped entirely. Alas. Closer to prime Mays gets the nod over the young'un.

Right Field
1: Luna's Ott/Robinson platoon
2: Garreg's Frank Robinson
3: CSV's Frank Robinson
4: Camden's Hank Aaron
5: Saudi's Manny Ramirez

Should rename this division the Frank Robinson Memorial Division. I'm giving the edge to the Ott/Robinson platoon but only because I share a birthday with Mel Ott. After that, it's the near prime Robinson, followed by the 30 year old Robinson. Hank Aaron deserves to be higher but Mogul hates him almost as much as it hates Mays. Manny is Manny but still isn't at the level of these other guys.

Benches
1: Saudi Steamrollers
2: Garreg Mach Golden Deers
3: Luna Landers
4: Camden Buzzsaw
5: Fighting,CSVs

Almost forgot the benches. Rule of thumb is, the longer you're in the Super League/Sub-Par League, the more likely it is that you have a good bench, because it's all about depth. This plays out for the most part here, EXCEPT, that I slightly like the Golden Deers' bench a little better than the Landers.

Pedro Martinez Memorial Rotation Preview
1: Saudi's Dean/Waddell/McCormick/Hahn/Alexander
2: CSV's Joss/Young/Martinez/Madduz/Koufax
3: Luna's Martinez/Waddell/Reuschel/Vance/Gibson
4: Garreg's Martinez/Marichal/Joss/Johnson/Brown
5: Camden's Maddux/Alexander/Roberts/Glavine/Wood

This is a tough one. For the money, I think that Beet has a handle on how to best work with his defense/stadium combo. Dizzy Dean is not an SP1 for anyone else but Beet. CSV's have a good game plan as well, but their offense better be clicking because there's gonna be a lot of balls in play against their defense, and law of averages states that more balls in play leads to more runs allowed. mrnoun is the Reuschel godfather, and always seems to be able to cobble together a functioning rotation no matter how things go for him from season to season. shepard's rotation is 3 dudes, a Marichal and a Brown, but is still pretty damned good. Camden needed a younger Pete Alexander to move higher up the list, as the 02 Maddux/Glavine tandem isn't going to be as powerful in the Sub-Par league as they were in the MLB.

Bullpens
1: Luna Landers
2: Garreg Mach Golden Deers
3: Camden Buzzsaw
4: Saudi Steamrollers
5: Fighting,CSVs

Luna has a full bullpen. Good relievers in every position except maybe long reliever. Garreg Mach is doing alright as well, but I'm not sure Slim Sallee is the best choice at short relief. Camden is just slightly below Garreg Mach, because while I love John Hiller and your Smoltzes should be sufficient, the other half of your bullpen is dread-inducing. Beet... this area should be your focus during the upcoming draft. Jim Kaat is not a reliever, damnit! And CSVs... You actually have some decent starters masquerading in your bullpen. Too bad you only have one real bullpen arm in your bullpen. Get Soria some drat help! Do some trades! LEVERAGE THIS AREA OF STRENGTH!

Conclusion:
Luna Landers - 24
Saudi Steamrollers - 28
Garreg Mach Golden Deers - 40
Camden Buzzsaw - 45
The,Fighting,CSVs - 46

Using my super elaborate scoring system, where the lowest totals denote the higher rankings, I've come to the conclusion that mrnoun and Beet are gonna slug it out for the division title and a wild card spot, while the other three teams will be decent and enter the upper levels of the Repechage. Betting money is on the Landers to win the Sub-Par league outright.

Advice?
Alright owners, heed my words closely. Beet, please look into upgrading your bullpen. johnfw50, same. That Brown probably should be pressed into starting duty, if I'm honest. Maybe try to swing a trade with a Sub-Par team that's low on SP depth? Clown Fundamentals, I think you could also use a bullpen upgrade or two, and some more IF depth wouldn't hurt. shepard: CF and replacing Marichal should be your focuses. I hate that Willie Mays doesn't work, otherwise you'd be set there. mrnoun: gently caress, you know what you're doing and you know more than I do when it comes to this. I don't think I could offer any advice to you at this point.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

HulkaMatt posted:

We have finally reached Week 0 and the "Summer of Morbius" has finally fell upon the super league. Praise.

It's Morbin' Time!

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Please bench Pudge Rodriguez in all lineups, have Mike Piazza take his place full time at C, demote Carlos Pena and promote Mo Vaughn to handle 1B for a bit. Thanks Smasher!

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Hello again! Please sub out Lou Whitaker for Roberto Alomar in all lineups, sending down Omar Infante to the minors as well.
In addition, please move Nathan Detroit to the 5th spot in all lineups.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Yup. My team's lack of quality and depth have come back to hurt us.

*Dmitri Young in for Willie Mays at LF in all lineups.

*Buddy Bell in for Nathan Detroit at 3B in all lineups.

The Sneki Sneks take 2014 Cole Hamels in the Draft!

*Cole Hamels in for Fergie Jenkins in the rotation.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Hello, can I have Nathan Detroit back at 3B in all lineups, sending Buddy Bell back to the bench?
I'd also like to have Sweet Lou Whitaker take Roberto Alomar's place at 2B in all lineups.

Everything else is going as expected, so yay!

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Can I please have Ivan Rodriguez subbed in for Mike Piazza for the foreseeable future? Thanks!

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Hopefully the last moves I have to make for the season...

Sub in Mike Piazza for Ivan Rodriguez again, but set Pudge as Cole Hamels' personal catcher.

Thanks!

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Hey, I'm still alive, and I wouldn't mind going nu-metal. I mean, nu-league.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

1966 Detroit Tigers for 2 points.

forzelt is still on the clock.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

1985 Boston Red Sox

HulkaMatt, your next pick is go.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

2011 Detroit Tigers

I'm on mobile but will edit the sheet asap. forzelt, I believe you are up.

cbx fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Nov 21, 2022

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

I believe it's my turn, so

1955 Boston Red Sox

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Team Name: The D-Boss Massholes
Image:

CSV:
sullifr01,1955
willite01,1955
joosted01,1955
kindeel01,1955
freehbi01,1966
cashno01,1966
mcauldi01,1966
hortowi01,1966
kalinal01,1966
northji01,1966
stanlmi01,1966
brownga01,1966
mclaide01,1966
wilsoea01,1966
lolicmi01,1966
wickeda01,1966
hillejo01,1966
gedmari01,1985
bucknbi01,1985
boggswa01,1985
riceji01,1985
lyonsst01,1985
evansdw01,1985
greenmi01,1985
clemero02,1985
avilaal01,2011
cabremi01,2011
santira01,2011
peraljh01,2011
jacksau01,2011
ordonma01,2011
martivi01,2011
kellydo01,2011
verlaju01,2011
scherma01,2011
porceri01,2011
valvejo01,2011
benoijo01,2011
albural01,2011
fistedo01,2011

Lineup:

RF Al Kaline
LF Ted Williams
1B Miguel Cabrera
3B Wade Boggs
DH Jim Rice
C Bill Freehan/Alex Avila
CF Mickey Stanley
SS Jhonny Peralta
2B Dick McAuliffe

Bench:

Norm Cash
C Platoon
Jim Northrup
Willie Horton
Eddie Joost

Pitching:

SP1: Justin Verlander
SP2: Roger Clemens
SP3: Max Scherzer
SP4: Denny McLain
SP5: Mickey Lolich

CL: John Hiller
SU: Jose Valverde
SR: Joaquin Benoit
SR: Dave Wickersham
MR: Rick Porcello
MR: Al Alburquerque
LR: Doug Fister

Strategies:

Hitting
Hit and Run: +3
Sacrifice Bunt: -5
Squeeze Play: -5
Running
Trying for extra bases: +2
Stealing Bases: 0
Aggressively Tagging Up: 0
Pitching
Pitch Outs (to prevent stolen bases): -3
Giving Intentional Walks: -3
Pitching Around Good Hitters: 0
Defense
Bringing the Infield In: 4
Guarding the Lines: 4
Making Cutoff Throws: 5
Substitutions
Bringing in Pinch Hitters: 2
Bringing in Pinch Runners: 3
Bringing in Defensive Replacements: -5
Bullpenning
Starting Pitchers on Short Rest: -5
Letting pitchers pitch throw through trouble: 2
Letting Pitchers rack up high pitch counts: 5

Stadium:
City: Boston, MA
Park: Comerica Park

cbx fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 4, 2022

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Sorry about the delay,

The Massholes are taking 1939 Bob Feller.

Whomever was up is still up.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Okay. Let's get some changes going.

Massholes take 2010 Joaquin Benoit and slot him into Setup, Jose Valverde gets promoted to Closer and John Hiller gets to take a break.

In addition, let's rest Teddy Ballgame for the next sim, put Jim Northrup in at LF for the sim. And then we'll bench Mickey Lolich and let Bob Feller get some run at SP5.

e: Monathin, you're up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

FairGame posted:

:siren: We will pause the league here for a bit because I'm going away on vacation and won't be back until 2/13. The League 1 and League 2 World Series will be posted on 2/14 and 2/15. The League 1 vs. League 2 final will be posted sometime thereafter.

:siren: As a reminder, I need Gauntlet rosters for those of you in The Gauntlet by 2/15. I'm aiming to get that all finished by 2/22 so we can do an expansion team draft that includes (m)any owners whose teams died in the Gauntlet and want to re-register. Remember: if we end up with > 30 teams, I will cut based on where you died in the Gauntlet so it's to your advantage to compete and get past additional rounds even if your team ends up not surviving.

Have a wonderful week and I'll see you back here on 2/14.

Yeah, just kill the Massholes, please. This has been some of the worst weeks of my life, I'm suffering from brain melt while so much stuff is going on around me and my wife is off at a loving vinyl chloride-spewing flaming clusterfuck that could kill her at any moment if the universe deems it so. Just kill them.