Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Ideally I'd take several of those guys off your hands, Pander, just to see how they do; give them a chance, you know? But there's that 30-man chokepoint to contend with.

Delahanty would be (however unwisely) my starting second baseman, though I could just draft one here, but I don't know if menthol has any small pieces laying around to throw in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Mellie Wolfgang, alleged reliever?!? How could I resist such a perfect fit. I'm certain Mogul will look charitably on his lengthy career!

He and Delahanty get it done.

(woo, check out Dixie Davis's walk rate. Poor Browns.)

e: just saw mrnoun's post, but I will stick with the suboptimal choice because it will be fun wanting to throw Delahanty off a bridge by the end of the season.

The Merry Marauder fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Dec 4, 2016

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Gumshoes select

Tom Terrific '77.

mrnoun on the clock, sheet here.

e: menthol, whose 1st round Super-Draft pick do you have?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Considering that, yes. I'll get back to you.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Well, Craig made that edit in the nick of time.

I'm inclined to take menthol's offer (#42, Dragons' 1st Rd S-D) on '08 Pujols unless someone lusts after him. Polite to give people the chance, I guess.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

mentholmoose, you good with the Pujols deal?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Yes.

Gumshoes select

Edgar Martinez, '91

Sucio Shep is up. Spreadsheet

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Gumshoes commend the Dragons for whisking Smoltz away and select

Trevor Rosenthal. Straight White Shark may now demonstrate some Papal infallibility to kick off round 4. Spreadsheet here.

e: I'm listening to offers on 1930 H.E. Manush and his 138 OPS+ for me last season, by the way. Bit of a crunch in the outfield.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Ha, delightful. I apologize for the oversight.

The Gumshoes did use Von Hayes in a different incarnation, though we didn't trade five players for him, more's the pity. Hit .340, though, obviously.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

True story:

I try to catch a Lehigh Valley or Reading minor league game whenever I'm up that way to see friends and family. One scorcher in the summer of '14, I was sitting behind two rather elderly ladies at Coca-Cola Park in Allentown. The aforementioned Hunnert-Mile' Giles was on the mound. One of the ladies remarked to her companion "my goodness, the weather is so variable!" And later "but it doesn't feel quite so hot as that!"

She had misapprehended the pitch speed display for the temperature.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

The Gumshoes welcome Syndicate superstar

Robbie Alomar. Now on the clock, HulkaMatt.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Good choice. (it's '98)

Link here, Monicro's up.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Is there a Sub-Par division arrangement as yet?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Trade a member of the '93 team to a Blue Jays fan?

Hmm. Well, perhaps if my cupidity were sufficiently piqued. 'Tis the season for mercenary spirit.

I'd need a 2B/SS type back, though, and Addison Russell's not enough alone.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"Uh, things" proceed apace:

South Shore Gumshoes send:

1993 Alan Trammell

Jersey City Jobbers send:

1932 Billy Herman

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

What's the home-field advantage in vingt-et-un?

Home City: (Lat: 21°19'29.66"N | Long: 157°40'47.68"W), Oahu

Home Stadium: Robin's Nest II
(Shibe Park, 1950 Dimensions: 334/420/447/405/329)
(Short Natural Grass, Good Infield Quality, Good Visibility, Small Foul Ground)

25-Man Roster:

Lineup:

RF Wee Willie Keeler
CF Edd Roush/Richie Ashburn
3B Edgar Martinez
LF Heinie Manush
1B Mark Grace
C Gabby Hartnett
2B Lou Whitaker/Billy Herman
SS Lou Boudreau

Bench:

C Johnny Bench (catches for Alexander & Seaver)
IF Roberto Alomar
OF Shoeless Joe Jackson
UT Billy Williams (DH for Interleague)

Pitching Staff:

SP1 Pete Alexander
SP2 Charles Bender
SP3 Tom Seaver
SP4 Ron Guidry
SP5 Fergie Jenkins

CL Rod Beck
SU Trevor Rosenthal
SR David Wells
SR Larry Andersen
MR Pedro Martinez
LR Bob Feller

Minors:

IF Bill Dahlen
IF Willie Kamm
IF Jim Gilliam
SS Johnny Pesky
OF Eric Davis
C Mickey Tettleton
C Duke Farrell

SP Rick Reuschel
SP Robin Roberts
SP David Cone
SP Bret Saberhagen
SP Dutch Ruether
SW Burt Hooton
RP Mike Timlin
RP Brian Wilson
RP Steve Howe
RP Dave Smith

CSVs:

hartnga01,1927,,,,Gabby,Hartnett
tettlmi01,1993,,,,Mickey,Tettleton
benchjo01,1970,,,,Johnny,Bench
farredu01,1901,,,,Duke,Farrell
gracema01,1992,,,,Mark,Grace
whitalo01,1993,,,,Lou,Whitaker
alomaro01,1999,,,,Roberto,Alomar
hermabi01,1932,,,,Billy,Herman
martied01,1991,,,,Edgar,Martinez
kammwi01,1932,,,,Willie,Kamm
gilliji01,1956,,,,Jim,Gilliam
boudrlo01,1944,,,,Lou,Boudreau
peskyjo01,1942,,,,Johnny,Pesky
dahlebi01,1901,,,,Bill,Dahlen
jacksjo01,1915,,,,Shoeless Joe,Jackson
willibi01,1973,,,,Billy,Williams
manushe01,1930,,,,Heinie,Manush
roushed01,1917,,,,Edd,Roush
daviser01,1993,,,,Eric,Davis
keelewi01,1901,,,,Willie,Keeler
ashburi01,1950,,,,Richie,Ashburn

alexape01,1915,,,,Pete,Alexander
bendech01,1904,,,,Chief,Bender
seaveto01,1977,,,,Tom,Seaver
guidrro01,1977,,,,Ron,Guidry
fellebo01,1948,,,,Bob,Feller
saberbr01,1986,,,,Bret,Saberhagen
reuscri01,1973,,,,Rick,Reuschel
jenkife01,1973,,,,Fergie,Jenkins
roberro01,1950,,,,Robin,Roberts
hootobu01,1973,,,,Burt,Hooton
beckro01,1994,,,,Rod,Beck
howest01,1995,,,,Steve,Howe
smithda02,1987,,,,Dave,Smith
timlimi01,1994,,,,Mike,Timlin
wilsobr01,2008,,,,Brian,Wilson
anderla02,1987,,,,Larry,Andersen
wellsda01,1993,,,,David,Wells
martipe02,2009,,,,Pedro,Martinez
coneda01,1998,,,,David,Cone
ruethdu01,1917,,,,Dutch,Ruether
PLUS 2016 Trevor Rosenthal

Strategy:

Hit and Run: +3
Sacrifice Bunt: -3
Squeeze Play: -2
Trying for extra bases: +2
Stealing Bases: -4
Aggressively Tagging Up: +2
Pitch Outs (to prevent stolen bases): -1
Giving Intentional Walks: -3
Pitching Around Good Hitters: -2
Bringing the Infield In: -3
Guarding the Lines: +1
Making Cutoff Throws: +2
Bringing in Pinch Hitters: -2
Bringing in Pinch Runners: -2
Bringing in Defensive Replacements: -3
Starting Pitchers on Short Rest: -1
Letting pitchers pitch throw trouble: +2
Letting Pitchers rack up high pitch counts: +2

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

I feel like having a Hound of Tindalos dogging the hot corner for Innsmouth should happen at some point.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Clearly the shattering of your already overborne sanity would suit the metanarrative in this case, but you're quite right.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Preview week is indeed the best. Your work does not go unread.

And unfortunately, Cthulhu, I'm in the States for the holidays, but raincheck.

Mea culpa on Ginger Beaumont. I should have been even more generic, like Pops O'Hanrahan.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Where did good ol' Ambi come from?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

What does a clip from ice boxing have to do with baseball?

Oh, I get it, it's a Canada thing, you speak in ice-related visual metaphors.

Is he like this one?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

TMMadman posted:

How in the hell does my Jim Jam have a stolen base?

Well, your Hit & Run slider is 2, and Frank Robinson also has an SB, so I like to picture Jimmy Edmonds hacking away, and the catcher dismissing the possibility of a hit and run with them on base.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Pander posted:

and the backstop, no doubt stunned into apoplexy after noticing Thome strolling toward second base like Pooh waddles for hunny with the pitch, failed to make a good throw.

Thank you for that, I've just spent a delightful minute watching Jim taking grounders at first in 2012 spring training alongside "Up, Down, Touch the Ground."

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Reuschel up and in for Charles Bender, please.

Thanks.

Buck Ewing is a delight.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Really, anything that gets the name of Philoctetes out there is on point.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Please DL Whitaker. Robbie Alomar gets the 2B starts, drop Herman from the platoon. Send down Edd Roush to bake a bit longer, call up Eric Davis. Outfield should be:

LF Joe Jackson
CF Manush/Ashburn
RF Keeler/Davis

And, much as I am reluctant to admit it, Shooter doesn't have his stuff right now, so send down Rod Beck, Rosenthal closes, Dave Smith up to setup.

Thanks.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

C'mon, nobody had patience in those days. You've seen the way they talk and walk in those motion pictures of their day.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Joe Jackson and Whitaker to the DL.

Jim Gilliam and Willie Kamm up.

Kamm gets 3B starts this week.

Billy Williams is full-time LF.

Thanks.

I didn't know Eri Yoshida was interested in astronomy.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Please sit down poor sore McGraw for the week with the appropriately named Hardy Richardson.

Make Stenzel the full-time CF.

Thanks.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Send down Willie Kamm, activate Whitaker off the DL.

Edgar Martinez back to 3B starts, Alomar to SS, Gilliam to 2B.

Thanks.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Our travells carry us abroad across both lande and sea, and beneficiall and valewabel as ocean trade has beene, therein we have been blest with a shipe wholy owned by the godly, whereas by land, the publick rodes and trafficks render each soujourne perillous and trying; thus, a machine that can undergoe hard and continuall labor in carying the clubb acros the land is a necessitie. A younge but Big Train is calld for.

Walter Johnson '07 in the rotation at #4, McGinnity to #5, Leever to the DL.

McGraw back in at 3B, Keister at 2B, Jack Rowe gets all catcher starts this week.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

The Gumshoes select

elderly Jimmie Foxx and

putting him in at 1B for the week, sending down Billy Herman for roster space.

Harlock is up, spreadsheet here.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Inevitably, the Gumshoes have a lot of respect for an old palooka down on his luck, and in a love affair with the sauce, drafting

Old Babe Ruth.

He starts in LF, Billy Williams to the bench, Eric Davis down.

DCB is up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Busy week. Going to put the Plimmoth pick up for sale briefly if someone wants a plum.