Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Nerokerubina posted:

I've a nice little plate of starting pitchers. would Wilbur Wood interest you?
I can put up Stephenson Riggs and Luis Gonzalez that are similarly rated LF ers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Ordius posted:

Not particularly, but Mike Adams and that injured Josh Hamilton would.

Edit: Cthulhu just conned factorialite out of his best two pitchers, do you really want to trade with him?

I got fleeced by mr noun so hey, but anyway you want other bidders in the picture.

Any Riggs + luis for broken Hamilton. Riggs can play 2B as well, just not hugely well.

Individually neither of them are as good as Josh, but both give depth. I can talk pitching coming to me instead if you'd like

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Nerokerubina posted:

I'm not super interested in trading Hamilton. Expansion cup results aren't what i'm going for here!

Am willing to put up Adams if the deal is right, though.

I'm open to some combination of draft picks or Catfish hunter for Riggs and Luis - both have an OBA of .350 or higher and good career OBAs.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Deal is dead.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Aug 21, 2012

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Smasher Dynamo posted:

10. Rated-R Superstars (28-26)

You relied on A.J. Burnett and Vernon Wells to be helpful? Hasn't the constant misery of the Blue Jays taught you anything? Why not bring in B.J. Ryan to-

Wait, you're actually using B.J. Ryan? Five owners and you're using B.J. Ryan? Come on!

Can this be fixed?

Smasher Dynamo posted:

6. Vice City Good Eggs (29-25)

Wait, is Jesse Barfield really at third base? If he is, move him immediately. McManus and Moseby were bound to be duds, anyway. Better you find out now rather than in the Super-League.

Now, as for the matter of Jimmy Key? Well, where did you think "Jimmy loving Key" came from?

19. Antarctic Unspecifieds (17-37)

Okay, all you need is a new pitching staff, a new left fielder, a new first baseman and you're good to go!

20. Idaho Potatoes (17-37)

Your roster is full of baffling decisions. Johnny Sain as a starter. The omission of Gregg Olson in favor of Frohwith. Morales as your starting first baseman. Napoli as your DH. Izturis as your second baseman. Bring Rizzuto in as your second baseman. Bring in Tartabull as your DH. Find someone willing to trade you a first baseman. Do these things now.

Okay you apparently all have problems at first base. I have an aging Stan Musial but he can still hit very hard very consistently and do all that while playing first base. I can also sell my spare outfielder collection as well, namely Harry Hooper, Bob Johnson, Luis Gonzalez and Stephenson Riggs. I'm perpetually keen to do a deal, so deals may be done! Edit: A few people have proposed buying Cuyler, and I'm open to the idea but he is a starter and also a long term utility player in any likely future cultists. Bob is probably better than Cuyler if you're looking for outfield power, but he cannot play Right Field.

What I want to buy is:

Draft Picks! Cause I might be able to solve my other problems with them later.
Mike Schmidt or equivalent at 3B (He's replacing hornsby so no amount of 'big hitter bad glove' is gonna help unless it's a sufficiently big hitter to replace Stan Musial at DH in which case you're probably not going to want to do the deal)
A legit starting ace, someone at Doug Fister's level or better.
Elite short reliefs.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Aug 21, 2012

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

kw0134 posted:

St Paul Bearers
Would like to rectify the issue at 2B by moving Biggio there if I can find the rest of my co-owners to sign off. :ohdear:

I think I've said this before, but you need to appoint a general manager. Otherwise you're going to suck and die.

I'll do it if you stake me in, but that's not a great offer. Looking at the existing owners the other options are to make Brookyln Bruiser your manager for the purposes of running the roster because he's keen and it will annoy smasher. Then get someone else to be GM, ideally someone who is getting relegated.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Viscount Slim posted:

It doesn't have to be anything so firm, though I rolled my eyes at appreciate your attempt to inveigle more power for yourself.

I did say it was a bad deal. However, you do need to appoint a GM and the inability to capitalise on opportunities like the Whitey ford trade (God drat that trade) is why.

But the proof is in the pudding I guess, so let's see how long this initiative, which is eminently sensible, takes to get passed.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

gingemidget posted:

Also, Cthulhu, you're completely right, so have the pitcher bat eighth in both lineups.

Unfortunately whoever wrote BM2013 hasn't read the book and you're not allowed to put the pitcher in 8th. Which sucks.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

gingemidget posted:

Oh, I know Joost is an upgrade on Peckinpaugh, it was the "worth a first rounder" I was wavering on. Which you're right, he probably isn't.

I wouldn't trade picks until smasher says how many teams are being dispersed.

Also, Joost? Really? I'll see you Woodie English instead hahah.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 24, 2012

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

gingemidget posted:

Oh, I know Joost is an upgrade on Peckinpaugh, it was the "worth a first rounder" I was wavering on. Which you're right, he probably isn't.

Hey, more serious note, what about Jhonny Peraltas for a second round pick?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

^ it remembers your preferences, gotta keep it on default otherwise it doesn't work.

Its good for the superstars, but bad for me. I was really hoping you'd have run one more month before the roster changes. As is, I think I'm doomed.

Swap Foxx and Hornsby in the batting order Foxx is mashing those dingers.

Use Riggs at DH until Musial is back

Put Bob Johnson in LF for 2 weeks. Put Kiki on the bench for a week, then put kiki in RF for a week and put larry walker on the bench for a week, then return to the status quo

Against a really soft team put Woody English in for Banks for 3 days AND ONLY 3 DAYS.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Aug 26, 2012

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

gingemidget posted:

Almost missed this – are we talking '11 Peralta from the Superstars here?

I think we were thinking '09 but happy to talk

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

The Goog posted:

If it's quarter after three in the morning, it must be :siren: trading time!!! :siren:

Great Googly-Mooglies get: 2003 Jose Valverde
Ryleh Cultists get: A second-round Super Draft pick, to be determined at the time of the Super Draft. The Mooglies currently own their picks, as well as those of the Second City Saints; the Cultists will receive the later of those two picks.

Approved

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Trade Deal: Tom Henke + 1st round pick (Vice City Goose Eggs) for 1935 Bob Johnson and Doug Fister 2011

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Okay I cannot put Johnson in Left now, so this is going to be annoying:

Luis Gonzalez gets pulled up to the bench
Riggs becomes my full time LF for 14 days.
Move Larry Walker to DH and Kiki Cuyler to RF for 7 days
Then move Kiki Culyer to DH and Larry Walker to RF for 7 days.

Then when Stan the Man is back from injury, move him to DH, Larry Walker to RF, Kiki to LF and put Riggs back on the bench.

Tom Henke Takes over as setup man, Phil Coke moves to short relief when he gets back from injury to take over from Valverde who is now dead sold.

Promote Frank Smith to 5th Starter

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Aug 28, 2012

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

The Merry Marauder posted:

Well done on the history update, Smasher.

The rest of the last page, well...good God. I'm going to have to Do Something about the Cultist/Superstar/Moogly Axis, aren't I? Other right-thinking owners are invited to join in, of course.

The funny thing is you are pretty much my role model for success in the league. :science: You're welcome to join the Axis of Evil.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

I don't know if people follow my post at the start of this thread, but I keep it updated with a list of things I have to buy and sell. Anyway, as I now have some pressing issues, let me draw them to broader attention:

Wanted to buy:

Small, tactical deals:

I'm pretty good on infield depth now, but I need some outfield utility now I've sold Bob Johnson. Hitting isn't as important as an elite glove. I was hoping to get Sam Crawford who would fill my need here nicely.
Swapping deadball pitching, I'm going to hit the deadball limit without lucky drafting so I want to move some of my deadball starters (Frank Smith and Ray Collins) for starting pitching that doesn't hit this limit.
Picks!

Wishlist stuff:

Picks!
Elite Relivers
An Elite Left Fielder
Elite Starting Pitching

Parts for trade:

Position Players who could credibly start in the super league:

3B: Miguel Cabrera (2011) - I'm sure his reputation Preceeds him, but: http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/cabremi01.shtml
Musial, Stan 38 - He's my DH for the moment and also my current utility outfielder
Catcher: Bill Freehan (1968) AS + GG year, next year was AS + GG as well: http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/f/freehbi01.shtml
1B: Boog Powell (1966) http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/p/powelbo01.shtml

Bench material:

Gardner, Larry 24 (IF) (1911 Boston Red Sox) - This guy is a very nice utility part but I have sweet Lou who is also a very nice utility part so this guy is on the block. An elite fielder and generally okay contact hitter at 2B/3B who can make 9th inning defensive substitutions every game and cover two tricky positions off the bench. Rates out at about 88/91. Amusingly, he's actually better than a whole bunch of starters in the Expansion Cup which says something about the quality of 2B in the league.

Barajas, Rod 27 (C) 27 (2003 Arizona Diamond-Backs) In my continued quest to mismanage my catchers this is guy has become surplus to requirements. I'll send him down after the cup unless someone wants him.

Starting Pitching - Ray and Frank are 4th and 5th starters. Frank is better than ray, he's an effective spitballer with 3 other usable pitchers. Ray is a fastball/curve pitcher who is mostly distinguished by being like Moredaci brown, except not as good.

SP: Ray Collins (1911) http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/collira01.shtml
SP: Frank Smith (1911) http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/smithfr03.shtml
SP: Avery, Steve 25 (1995, Atlanta Braves, from Marauder, a replacement level player in the SL.

Relief Pitching

Myers, Mike 33 (2003 Arizona Diamond-Backs)

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Aug 28, 2012

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

I think it's a cool concept, but my concern is 1st round of the gauntlet is pretty dire as a consequence. If that's the penalty I'll vote no with the Cultists, no with my superstars shares and no with everything else I have.

But, my observation would be that collaboration is fun. I don't know about the other guys, but I'm enjoying working with The_Goog, Pungry, Senerio and TK Bomber, so making collaboration might be a bit more fun.

Maybe a few more factions and have a prize awarded to the best faction? You could have an The Iron Horses for perpetual contenders that never quite make it, Superstars LLC, Marauder's Marauders, Young Bucks and two more, then give the winning faction some sort of prize. Maybe have the remaining 10 teams a 'best of the rest' where they count only the percentage of their best 5 times.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

:siren:Trade Offer:siren:

Gumshoes! and Anyone else with a copy of Ryan of approximately the right age.

Due to Super League restrictions on deadball pitchers per capita, I have a surplus of Deadball Pitching. Specifically I have 1924 Walter Johnson or 1902 Christy Mathewson.

You have 1978 Noylan Ryan. I would like to swap.

Why do I want to do this?

I'm cruising into a difficult future where I blow the deadball pitcher limit and Smasher says mean things about me. This is not a concern for you as you have no deadballers.

This is probably a pretty square deal - both my guys are in the top 10 pitchers of all time (Christy is a bit young though), and Nolan is in the top 10 pitchers of the last 60 years. However, you've got me over a bit of a barrel, so to grease the wheels I can kick in a little something extra:

Offer 1: Your pick of one of 1924 Walter Johnson or 1902 Christy Mathewson now and I send your pick of Bill Henry (Relief Pitcher), Robinson Tejeda (Relief pitcher) or any of the relievers in my offer below from my minors after the EC.

Offer 2: If you want bullpen assistance now I can sell your pick of 1924 Walter Johnson or 1902 Christy Mathewson and your pick of one of Hasegawa, Shigetoshi 29 (1998 Anaheim Angels, from the Juggernauts, doing great in the Expansion cup with a 1.17 ERA), Phil Coke (1980 Tigers I think, would make a great LOOGYm currently my EC setup guy) or Kim, Byung-Hung 24 (2003 Arizona Diamond-Backs) right now, if you send back 1980 Noylan Ryan and short, short or middle reliever (respectively) of your choice back. Can be anyone, I don't care how bad, I just need a full bullpen for the cup.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Aug 28, 2012

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

:siren: Trade Offer

1934 Gabby Hartnett for 1968 Bill Freehan and 2011 Cabrera

Archie Goodwin posted:

While conventional wisdom dictates that I snap up this offer instantly, Mogul seems to give Ol' Nolan a lot more credit than the sabermetric community.

Also, Phil Coke is a current player, and has been extremely hittable for the Tigers this year. No idea why the sim likes him so much.

I am not in the inner circle of the thread, so to speak, but I suspect the "deadball limit" was meant to restrict abuse of the average pitcher of the time, not the Mattys, Deacon Phillippes, and Three-Finger Browns of the world. Big Train wasn't a typical deadballer by any means, obviously.

No, thanks, in short.

Entirely fair, as I said in the other thread I was mostly doing it to try and manage my deadball pitcher count which is getting out of hand.

I will say the Sabremetric community does give Nolan some credit - I did some work trying to predict what stats best predict who is going to make a good BM2013 pitcher.

My observation would be that what BM thinks are the best pitchers in a super league environment is similar to the list of pitchers who've posted the best game scores ever, and pitchers who don't do as well in the super league as they might (Maddux who is one of the top 5 pitchers of the last 60 years) don't rank nearly as highly on that game score list.

Nolan ranks very highly on that list, but so does Walter Johnson.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 29, 2012

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

:siren: Trade Deal

1930 Hartnett, 1985 Henke, and 2002 Schilling for 2004 Pedro, 2004 Nomar, and 1977 Reuschel.

Either side has the option at the end of the expansion cup to trade 1934 Hartnett and 2002 Schilling for 1977 Reuschel and 1930 Hartnett.

Edit: Fixed the dates to be the correct deal as discussed in IRC. If anyone wishes to enforce the wording of the orginal deal... I keep Reuschel yeah.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Aug 29, 2012

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

New Lineup - SL Season Ending:

I get a bunch of crap and lose some other stuff

C. Hartnett, Gabby 33 (1934 Chicago Cubs)
1B. Foxx, Jimmie "Double X" 27 (1935 Phillie Athletics) Undecided on "Like a Bat out of Hell" or "The number of the beast"
2B. Whitaker, Lou (2B) (1984, Tigers, CBX)
3B. Sandberg, Ryne "Ryno" 24 (1984 Chicago Cubs) "Iron Man" Black Sabbath
SS. Banks, Ernie "Mr Cub" 27 (1958 Chicago Cubs) "All the way" Eddie Vedder

LF. Riggs, Stephenson (LF) 32 (1930 Chicago Cubs)
CF. Tris, Speaker "Grey Eagle" 23 (1911 Boston Red Sox)
RF. Walker, Larry 30 (1997 Colorado Rockies) Walk Up song: Crazy Train

DH.

Hornsby, Rodgers "Rajah" 33 (1930 Chicago Cubs) "Killing in the name of" Rage against the Machine

Bench:

Bench 1. Barajas, Rod 27 (C) 27 (2003 Arizona Diamond-Backs)
Bench 2. Musial, Stan "The Man" 38 (1959 Cardinals) "The man comes around" Johnny Cash
Bench 3. Kiki, Cuyler "Shirley" 31 (1930 Chicago Cubs)
Bench 4. English, Woody (IF) 23 (1930 Chicago Cubs)
Bench 5. Nomar Garciaparra 2004 (Luna Landers)

Minor League:

Gardner, Larry 24 (IF) (1911 Boston Red Sox)
Avery, Steve 25 (1995, Atlanta Braves, from Marauder)
Boog Powell (1966 - may actually be 72)

Batting Order

1 Tris, Speaker 23 (1911 Boston Red Sox) - Left
2 Hornsby, Rodgers 33 (1930 Chicago Cubs) - Right
3 Walker, Larry 30 (1997 Colorado Rockies) - Left
4 Foxx, Jimmie 27 (1935 Phillie Athletics) - Right
5 Banks, Ernie 27 (1958 Chicago Cubs) - Right
6 Riggs, Stephenson (LF) 32 (1930 Chicago Cubs)
7 Hartnett, Gabby 29 (1930 Chicago Cubs) - Right
8 Musial, Stan 38 (1959 Cardinals) - Left
9 Platoon: Whitaker, Lou (2B) / Sandberg, Ryne 24 (1984 Chicago Cubs) - Right

Is this the best batting order? I have no idea. Is it a workable batting order? I guess it is.

Pitching Rotation:

Starting Pitcher 1: Johnson, Walter "Big Train" 36 (1924 Senadores) Walkup Song: "Train Keep on Rollin" Motorhead
Starting Pitcher 2: Mathewson, Christy "Big Six" 20 (1901 2nd Dervishes) "1812 Overture" - UNTIL HE IS BACK FROM INJURY - Smith, Frank (1911 Boston Red Sox)
Starting Pitcher 3: Pedro Martinez 2004(woo)
Starting Pitcher 4: Rick Reuschel 1977 (From Mr Noun
Starting Pitcher 5: Schilling, Curtis "Curt" 35 (2002 (sic) Arizona Diamond-Backs, via Marauder) "Welcome to the Jungle" - Guns n Roses

Closer: Soria, Joakim 24 (2009 Kansas City Royals) - "Welcome to the Jungle" - Guns n Roses shared with shilling.
Setup: Reardon, Jeff (1989 Twins CBX)
Short Relief: Kim, Byung-Hung 24 (2003 Arizona Diamond-Backs)
Short Relief: Coke, Phil 28 (2011 Detroit Tigers? Super auction from the bronies)
Middle Relief: TBD
Long Relief: Collins, Ray(1911 Boston Red Sox)

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Aug 31, 2012

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

tatankatonk posted:

Cthulhudreams, you still want Mays for Speaker?

Not at the moment - I'll still do something for schmittens, elite pitching a catcher or a LF

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

New Lineup - SL Season Ending:

Please edit Walter Johnson and Christy Mathewson so they pitch right handed, as is historically accurate
Sandberg Throws right handed.
I get a bunch of crap and lose some other stuff

C. Hartnett, Gabby 33 (1934 Chicago Cubs)
1B. Foxx, Jimmie "Double X" 27 (1935 Phillie Athletics) Undecided on "Like a Bat out of Hell" or "The number of the beast"
2B. Whitaker, Lou (2B) (1984, Tigers, CBX)
3B. Sandberg, Ryne "Ryno" 24 (1984 Chicago Cubs) "Iron Man" Black Sabbath
SS. Banks, Ernie "Mr Cub" 27 (1958 Chicago Cubs) "All the way" Eddie Vedder

LF. Riggs, Stephenson (LF) 32 (1930 Chicago Cubs)
CF. Tris, Speaker "Grey Eagle" 23 (1911 Boston Red Sox)
RF. Walker, Larry 30 (1997 Colorado Rockies) Walk Up song: Crazy Train

DH.

Hornsby, Rodgers "Rajah" 33 (1930 Chicago Cubs) "Killing in the name of" Rage against the Machine

Bench:

Bench 1. Barajas, Rod 27 (C) 27 (2003 Arizona Diamond-Backs)
Bench 2. Musial, Stan "The Man" 38 (1959 Cardinals) "The man comes around" Johnny Cash
Bench 3. Kiki, Cuyler "Shirley" 31 (1930 Chicago Cubs)
Bench 4. Gardner, Larry 24 (IF) (1911 Boston Red Sox)
Bench 5. Nomar Garciaparra 2004 (Luna Landers)

Minor League:

English, Woody (IF) 23 (1930 Chicago Cubs)

Avery, Steve 25 (1995, Atlanta Braves, from Marauder)
Boog Powell (1966 - may actually be 72)

Batting Order

1 Tris, Speaker 23 (1911 Boston Red Sox) - Left
2 Hornsby, Rodgers 33 (1930 Chicago Cubs) - Right
3 Walker, Larry 30 (1997 Colorado Rockies) - Left
4 Foxx, Jimmie 27 (1935 Phillie Athletics) - Right
5 Banks, Ernie 27 (1958 Chicago Cubs) - Right
6 Riggs, Stephenson (LF) 32 (1930 Chicago Cubs)
7 Hartnett, Gabby 29 (1930 Chicago Cubs) - Right
8 Musial, Stan 38 (1959 Cardinals) - Left
9 Platoon: Whitaker, Lou (2B) / Sandberg, Ryne 24 (1984 Chicago Cubs) - Right

Is this the best batting order? I have no idea. Is it a workable batting order? I guess it is.

Pitching Rotation:

Starting Pitcher 1: Johnson, Walter "Big Train" 36 (1924 Senadores) Walkup Song: "Train Keep on Rollin" Motorhead
Starting Pitcher 2: Mathewson, Christy "Big Six" 20 (1901 2nd Dervishes) "1812 Overture" - UNTIL HE IS BACK FROM INJURY - Smith, Frank (1911 Boston Red Sox)
Starting Pitcher 3: Pedro Martinez 2004(woo)
Starting Pitcher 4: Rick Reuschel 1977 (From Mr Noun
Starting Pitcher 5: Collins, Ray(1911 Boston Red Sox)

Closer: Soria, Joakim 24 (2009 Kansas City Royals) - "Welcome to the Jungle" - Guns n Roses shared with shilling.
Setup: Reardon, Jeff (1989 Twins CBX)
Short Relief: Kim, Byung-Hung 24 (2003 Arizona Diamond-Backs)
Short Relief: Coke, Phil 28 (2011 Detroit Tigers? Super auction from the bronies)
Middle Relief: TBD
Long Relief: Put Christy Here until he is back from injury.

On Loan: Schilling, Curtis "Curt" 35 (2002 (sic) Arizona Diamond-Backs, via Marauder) "Welcome to the Jungle" - Guns n Roses

Change Start on short rest to +1

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Aug 31, 2012

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

The Goog posted:

Great Googly-Mooglies get: 2009 Kerry Wood
Rated R Superstars get: 2009 Chris Perez, 2006 Brandon League

Approved with 20%

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

:siren: Trade Request!

I want to buy your rosters, or the rosters of SL teams in CSV format

In return I can sell you rosters: I have the Superstars, the Macho Men, Fukoda Finger Bangers, the Skyhawks, a made up Yankees super team to give me an even number of teams and the Cultists currently. Want to improve my simulation accuracy which means more teams so I can make a non DH league etc.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Sep 5, 2012

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

To quote IRC, loving hell yeah, go harder you glorious bastards.

Also, feed everyone whatever it is Walter Johnson is eating. Shoggoth juice? Jesus.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Swap Sandberg and Larry Walker in my Batting Order please.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Since I don't know how many of you expansion owners are left, let me ask this:

If you have any questions about roster construction or how to fix your team, ask them now.

I might kick this off. I'm going to have to carry a poo poo left fielder or a bad bullpen into the Super League.

Which one is less likely to kill me before I can fix it? My 25 man roster, for reference:

C: Gabby Hartnett 1930 Cubs
1B: Jimmie Foxx
2B: Sandberg/Whitaker Platoon
3B: 1ST ROUND DRAFT PICK - EMPTY - will be Sandberg
SS: Ernie Banks

LF: Stephenson Riggs (Replace ASAP)
CF: Tris Speaker
RF: Larry Walker

DH: Rodger Hornsby

Bench:

C: Rod Barajas - Replace with a real baseball player asap.
OF: Kiki Cuyler
UT: Nomar Gaspacio
UT: Whitaker/Sandberg Platooner
UT: Stan Musial

Pitching:

SP 1: Walter J (R)
SP 2: Big Six (R)
SP 3: 1ST ROUND DRAFT PICK / Ray Collins
SP 4: Pedro Martinez
SP 5: Curt Schilling

CL: Soria
ST: Reardon
SR: Phil Coke (L)
SR: TBA - will be a filler like Juan Cruz or something as it stands.
MR: TBA
MR: TBA
LR: Frank Smith

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Sep 10, 2012

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I get a sandwich pick, would anyone consider selling me a 2nd round pick and a great closer for it? I am seriously considering Juan Cruz so...

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

gently caress you Curt Schilling, gently caress you.

Rotation and Bullpen Changes

1st: Walter Johnson
2nd: Christy Mathewson
3rd: Eddie Cicotte :ohdear:
4th: Ray Collins :ohdear: except bigger.
Mopup: Park the injured Curt Schilling here. As soon as he recovers, swap him with Ray Collins.

CL: Soria
ST: Phil Coke
SR: Tom Henke
SR: Dave Righetti
MR: Shigetoshi
LR: Kim Byung-Hyung

CANCEL ALL PERSONAL CATCHER ORDERS Gabby catches everyone.

Lineup Changes

Move Sandberg to 3B and put Hornsby at 2B.

Slider Changes

Put start on short rest to +3

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Sep 10, 2012

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Smasher, the Cultists have the Goose Eggs 1st round pick

A question: With the EC cup, is the prize awarded in addition to, or instead of, your first round pick?

I wrote a long, complex post with strategies, but it's pretty pointless.

Basically out the back of the EC Cup and draft I need, in approximate order of priority:

A good starting pitcher so I can fire ray collins out of a cannon
Schmidt or Ron Santo - if Ron will fall to my 2nd round pick (or a sandwhich pick if I happen to get one), get him then instead obviously
A good backup catcher who will make a real difference over rob Barajas
Bullpen guys times lots
A LF guy who will make an impact.

The things that might impact that:

If I get to the cup I'm gonna take Randy Johnson, Juan Marchial or Willie Mays. If I get one of the two pitchers, I don't need another starter, and if I get Willie Mays, I don't need a left fielder.

If I get the sandwich pick, it means I want to pick up a backup catcher in the 1st round.

With the bullpen thing, if a great LF (I'm thinking Chuck Klein or better to complete the cubification of the cultists) falls to my 2nd round pick grab them, but otherwise let it ride.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Sep 10, 2012

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

It might be worth cranking up the pitchouts slider as well against the Neo-Doppel-Bangers. You've got a bunch of control pitchers that can probably afford to be behind in the count.

Plus it's not like the Neo-Doppel-Bangers are gonna smash it out of the park.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Hey Smasher what do you think the Rated R Super Stars should do, draft wise. Though I suspect some combination of pitcher, catcher, shortstop is probably inevitable.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Smasher Dynamo posted:

The problem with that is that it's a pain in the rear end to wrangle 20 owners to get me preferences in the first place. Trying to do it three times would make the draft take about two or three weeks.

Do you mind if we give you orders that basically run to 'I think I need XYZ, here is some approximate valuations, please make some intelligent decisions?' removes the needs for massive lists or guesswork.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Factional Warfare

We'd just like to take up the handicapping option proposed by Factoralite, but with a twist.

Each of our teams nominates three players from a team in the opposing faction. The team designed picks one of the three players, and that player plays for the Superstars faction for the season. To prevent boning rotations completely, each list must include a pitcher and a position player.

At the end of the season - and before the gauntlet, the player is returned to their original team.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Sep 13, 2012

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Edit: This post has been superseeded by events.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Sep 13, 2012

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

That is extremely frustrating.

vvv: Eh, what can you do. Larry Walker is batting right handed. Nothing is assured. We'll get them next time gadget.

Revised Super League Draft Preferences

First round:

1st pick: Snag a I-Rod or better catcher.
2nd pick: Santo unless Santo will fall to my second pick in which case grab a pitcher.

If I win the pick 'em
2nd pick: Best pitcher available
3rd pick: Grab Santo or any better 3B guy unless Santo will fall to my second pick in which case grab a LF.

2nd Round: If I need Santo get him here, otherwise BPA with a focus on relief

3rd Round: BPA with a focus on relief

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Sep 13, 2012

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Edit: It appears I am retarded, but let's fix some of the damage and take 2001 Irod over Lance Parrish.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Sep 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

factorialite posted:

I should note that there is almost no upside (not that I care), because the stable with the higher winning percentage is just really likely to already evade the gauntlet. Oh well!

I told you this right at the start....