Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warm Sarsaparilla
Jan 3, 2012

I am totally in concurrence with those picks for the Radbourns; thanks for doing that. Especially glad to get Mike Marshall, who I planned to target for theme.

If it is permitted, I would obviously accept Goodwin's deal.

e: I would gladly offer tatankatonk half ownership in the Radbourns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warm Sarsaparilla
Jan 3, 2012

Tim Wakefield listed as a reliever? Well, Rick Aguilera is the better pick, but I need innings eaten! I'll take him at the end of the third.

Note to self: push fences back due to excessive knuckleballing....

Warm Sarsaparilla
Jan 3, 2012

quote:

Warm Sarsaparilla is the nominal owner of the team, but he has not been heard from in some time. In the meantime, Dr. Mike Marshall, citing his doctorate in kinesiology as a qualification, has assumed command, promising that he "won't this great experiment, when the reliever is finally given his due as the true backbone of the team, end is dismal failure. Instead, we shall rise ever upwards, that the heavens themselves may look at our bullpen and weep tears of envy!"

I'm here, but Marshall would be an ideal spokesman. LaRussa, too, I suspect.

Since I have an all-reliever team and a tiny bench in the no-DH League, which :argh:, is there some setting to ameliorate the horrors that will ensue?

DL Montgomery, Jeff Nelson to MR, Sutter to SR, Tim Wakefield to fourth starter, which, wow, yeah, I just ordered that. Christ Almighty.

I should probably try Ryno at 2B over Mazeroski, I guess.

I also need to figure out who to sell Brooks Robinson or George Brett to.

Warm Sarsaparilla
Jan 3, 2012

I feel compelled to make a challenge for Jesse Orosco*. He belongs on this team, despite bad performance with the Leper-chauns.

Jeff Montgomery, Bobby Murcer, and a two?

Warm Sarsaparilla
Jan 3, 2012

ToiletofSadness posted:

Other is George Brett. Career slash lines are pretty similar; you trade a little patience from Youk for Brett's contact ability. Question is how their defense stacks up. I know Brett was never known for his defensive prowess but should I expect him to be better than Youkilis? BBRef has Brett at mostly positive dWAR up until 83 while Youkilis hovers around 0.0 dWAR for his career.

Why risk it, I ask you? What will you offer me for my edition of '83 Brett?

Warm Sarsaparilla
Jan 3, 2012

cbx posted:

I'd still like to see accurate snapshots of my team. I might be starting Boddicker, but I have no clue who's actually playing out in the field and what my actual stats are. Is that honestly too much to ask?

Seriously? The fielding snap is correct with respect to position, the batting stats are the actual batting stats. Is this not the case?

ToiletofSadness posted:

I asked before which year Brett you had, but you never responded. What's your asking price?

See, I suspect you don't see value enough in Brett to give me solid return from him. As far as I know, he's the best third baseman readily available, but you have Youk and Ventura. I'd probably ask for a package including Raines, Hernandez, and -something-. I'd like a catcher, since Posada appears to suck, but you don't have one to spare. Since you'll be picking 29th or 30th overall, would you give that pick up?

Warm Sarsaparilla
Jan 3, 2012

No, probably not, but my offense isn't exactly helping.

Just reminding everyone '83 George Brett, presumptive top-5 draft pick, is on sale for a lot less than that.

Speaking of trades, Mark McGwire is disintegrating this season. Bearers ownership, I can offer you Dennis "El Prrresidente" Martinez for young Jeff Bagwell.

Warm Sarsaparilla
Jan 3, 2012

Since my band of revolutionaries can't destroy a knuckleballer, I think we need to engage in some perestroika - south of the border style!

First, a minor change - bench Belle, since he unreasonably sucks, and send down McGwire. Call up Brian Giles to start in left, and I guess Baerga can keep playing at first.

Now, we're shipping off our entire rotation on a Re-education Vacation - except Blyleven, he's cool. Send down Gibson, Maddux, Siebert, and Tiant. If any of them attempt to retire - looking at you, Gibby - explain our 15 gram severance package. Call up Seaver, Hershiser, Garcia, Martinez to start 2-3-4-5.

Someone trade me a first baseman! Bearers - since you just lost Passeau, it's in your interest to move Bagwell for whatever you can get; offer stands.

Warm Sarsaparilla
Jan 3, 2012

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Okay, so remind me of what the offers are again?

Comancheros give '95 Dennis Martinez and '95 Todd Worrell for '91 Jeff Bagwell.

If only I had a Larry Andersen.

I look forward with great interest to the process by which the Bearers decide which new pitcher to start. And select draft preferences.

Bagwell starts at 1B, send down McGwire, Maddux into the rotation.

Warm Sarsaparilla
Jan 3, 2012

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Old Hoss Radbourns
Dennis Eckersley (RP) (Knuckle Fever!) - 12 days

Time to Roy Face our fears.

Go ahead and slot Montgomery into LR as replacement, since he'll be off the DL in a day or so.

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Ballot!

Dynamo League

Catcher
[ ] Ernie Lombardi (Bulldogs) (.283/.342/.393, 3 HRs 0.8 WAR)

First Basemen
[ ] Mark McGwire (Bulldogs) (.231/.360/.435, 8 HRs 1.3 WAR)

Second Basemen
[ ] Eddie Collins (Imperialists) (.388/.451/.486, 1 HRs 2.0 WAR)

Third Basemen
[ ] Mike Schmidt (Radbourns) (.253/.335/.462, 9 HRs 0.7 WAR)

Shortstops
[ ] Honus Wagner (Unicorns) (.315/.361/.478, 2 HRs 2.2 WAR)

Left Fielders
[ ] Rickey Henderson (Gumshoes) (.313/.377/.449, 5 HRs 1.4 WAR)

Center Fielders
[ ] Bernie Williams (Radbourns) (.292/.365/.491, 6 HRs 0.6 WAR)

Right Fielders
[ ] Tony Gwynn (Generics) (.389/.417/.517, 4 HRs 1.9 WAR)

Designated Hitters
[ ] Frank Thomas (Losers) (.349/.417/.568, 7 HRs 1.9 WAR)

Manager
[ ] The Merry Marauder (Bangers) (Combined five finals appearances, two championships)

Smasher League

Catchers
[ ] Yogi Berra (Comancheros) (.276/.333/.503, 6 HRs 0.2 WAR)

First Basemen
[ ] Mark Grace (Bobbleheads) (.337/.396/.471, 5 HRs 1.2 WAR)

Second Basemen
[ ] Rogers Hornsby (Comancheros) (.360/.400/.556, 5 HRs 1.7 WAR)

Third Basemen
[ ] Howilliams Monsoon (S'Stars) (.???/.???/.???, 5 HRs ?.? WAR)

Shortstops
[ ] Ray Chapman (Ted Sox) (.267/.310/.354, 0 HRs 0.3 WAR)

Left Fielders
[ ] Brian Giles (Phoenixes) (.280/.359/.404, 3 HRs 0.5 WAR)

Center Fielders
[ ] Earl Averill (Mooglies) (.324/.370/.458, 4 HRs 0.1 WAR)

Right Fielders
[ ] Ty Cobb (Cells) (.345/.410/.448, 0 HRs 1.3 WAR)

Designated Hitters
[ ] Jim Thome (Comancheros) (.229/.347/.471, 10 HRs 0.2 WAR)

Manager
[ ] blakelmenakle (Bobbleheads) (Took ragtag bunch of losers and Babe Ruth to championship)

Warm Sarsaparilla
Jan 3, 2012

Draft Preference Bonanza!

Willie Stargell's sore, huh? Send down Pop and stick Bobby Murcer in left for the week.

Round 1: Dennis Eckersley (OK, fine, I'd take Ted Williams, I GUESS), then Rickey
Round 2: Top 9 RP, Joe Sambito

quote:

Hell, both you and I know this is ending in a early round Gauntlet loss and a dispersal draft with a surplus of relievers.

Yeah, but new teams can always use more top-tier relievers (and third basemen, I guess), right? I'm sure they'll be in no way scarred by this experience.

Jimmie Foxx appears to have died at the plate, but it seems facile to draft to replace him, given the team.

Ugh. Better pitching seems indicated, but I'm not sure anyone's going to look good in front of this D. I kind of want to draft Killebrew to be a super-utility guy. Well:

Ted Williams
Nolan Ryan
Tom Seaver
Johan Santana
Harmon Killebrew
Derek Jeter
Cliff Lee
Pedro Martinez
JR Richard
Top 5 RP
Chipper Jones
Edgar Martinez
Adam Dunn
Willie Stargell
Grady Sizemore
Max Carey
Best Pitcher remaining with a modern K%

Warm Sarsaparilla
Jan 3, 2012

factorialite posted:

I'll echo that sentiment, if anyone wants to sell their Jimmie Foxx's at pennies on the dollar I've got plenty of fungible DH-types just waiting for you

I'm not trading Jimmie Foxx for John Olerud, especially not across saves, but I'd do it for Mel Ott and your two.

Warm Sarsaparilla
Jan 3, 2012

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Okay, so the deal is Ott and the Juggs' 2nd for Foxx from the Radbourns, correct? If so, then I'll approve it.

Mel Ott to RF, George Brett to 1B. I guess we have to send down Clemente.

Pick up another reliever with the Juggs' pick.

Warm Sarsaparilla
Jan 3, 2012

Slide Roy Face into the rotation to take injured Hoyt Wilhelm's start, bring Jeff Montgomery off the DL and into short relief, Dr. Mike Marshall can put on a clinic in long relief - I guess Wilhelm can sit in the minors for a week.

Stick whichever of Tiant or Gibby has a better FIP or DICE or whatever Mogul uses into the rotation for injured Hershiser. Let's hope the D can keep 'em competitive.

Warm Sarsaparilla
Jan 3, 2012

Excellent. Send down Murcer, Ted Williams into left field.

On the pitching side, send down Lee Smith, Willie Hernandez, and Jeff Nelson. Goose sets up, Quiz is middle relief, Betancourt to long relief, Oh God, Hoyt Wilhelm back to second "starter."

What the gently caress. 0fer the month?! Having a team of sluggers only works if they can loving hit.

Edgar takes over DH from Sammy, who moves into right field; rest DiMaggio with Lofton for the week. I guess Gibby sits for Cliff Lee.

Warm Sarsaparilla
Jan 3, 2012

Mooseontheloose posted:

I too need a 3B and have some pitching and OF to spare! What do you say?

HoF 3B Brooks Robinson for Jim Kaat, who has enough relief credentials I feel I can use him, and basically any one other guy you can spare?

Warm Sarsaparilla posted:

Excellent. Send down Murcer, Ted Williams into left field.

On the pitching side, send down Lee Smith, Willie Hernandez, and Jeff Nelson. Goose sets up, Quiz is middle relief, Betancourt to long relief, Oh God, Hoyt Wilhelm back to second "starter."

Just so it doesn't slip through the cracks.

Edgar takes over DH from Sammy, who moves into right field, benching Manny and sending down Michael Young; platoon Lofton with DiMaggio and Vizquel with Hornsby for the week. Duke Sims catches for Seaver and Garcia.

I guess Gibby sits for Cliff Lee.

Warm Sarsaparilla
Jan 3, 2012

Mooseontheloose posted:

What year is Robinson?

Warm Sarsaparilla
Jan 3, 2012

Mooseontheloose posted:

Kaat and Damon for Robinson then?

Agreed.

Warm Sarsaparilla
Jan 3, 2012

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Yeah, I caught it, and it's been processed. Not sure if it does either of you much good, but I did see it.

Think of it as Plan B-and-a-bit; you know what Plan C is, I expect.

DL Yogi and send down Sims, Mike Stanley starts, Leyritz catches for Lee, I guess. Bring DiMaggio back into the lineup, and throw Michael Young in at short <sigh> to give Hornsby the week off. Swap Sosa and Bagwell in the lineup.

Warm Sarsaparilla
Jan 3, 2012

I feel like we'd be flirting with .450 if anyone was hitting. Maybe I am an optimist.

Anyway, send down Wilbuh and put Kaat into the "rotation." Send down Eric Davis, call up Damon, and rest Bernie with him for the week.

We need some gritty, hard-boiled spirit, so mix Detective Don Slaught into a platoon at catcher.

Warm Sarsaparilla
Jan 3, 2012

Well, Hornsby hit .381 and Mo had three saves and no earned runs, so I have two good players between two teams, at least. ...Hmmm....

Fun series, Smasher, thanks for doing that.

Warm Sarsaparilla
Jan 3, 2012

/\ Or, you know, do this next week. Also, fun Vice City reference.

You can't kill me, I'm already dead!

Thome to DH for the week, let's hope Martinez can play third for a week. Bench Sosa and replace him with Manny. Send down Cliff Lee, replace him with El Tiante.

Warm Sarsaparilla
Jan 3, 2012

Mediocrity is more than I expected. I also expected Teddy Ballgame to hit better than .188, but hey.

Sit Damon, start Bernie Williams. Why is Gossage always so bad? Can all the hitters at this level catch up to his fastball?

Warm Sarsaparilla
Jan 3, 2012

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Also, I am moved by your potential plight of losing two teams in a single season. I might be able to do something for you about that.

I like the sound of this, who do you want dead? [Jean Reno]No women, no kids.[/Jean Reno]

Warm Sarsaparilla
Jan 3, 2012

I am really looking forward to Spring Break so I can make full use of that season pass. ...and they're making another Star Wars movie? gently caress, I hope they film in Mexico.

Call up Belle, start him in left, send down Sosa. Start Lofton in center for a week.

Warm Sarsaparilla
Jan 3, 2012

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Dynamo League Week 21 Injury Report

Oh for gently caress's sake, the Radbourns are the new Intercontinental Champions. What the gently caress.

Every duck has its day. Hoo-rah.

Warm Sarsaparilla
Jan 3, 2012

Smasher Dynamo posted:

"And let me tell you something, motherfuckers, you'd best not gently caress with a team named after James loving Coburn."

Truer words were never spoken. This'll be glorious. (and saves me from trying to create a monstrosity on my own)

Proposition #1

A. Yes!

I like wildcards.

Proposition #2

A. A Rule 5 Draft

Sometimes the only way to rest players, given we play a week at a time, is by sending starters down. I'm not sure the draft would have a lot of gems in it, but if people feel strongly about it....

Warm Sarsaparilla
Jan 3, 2012

At least the Radbourns lost the title to a Christlike reliever.

Nothing Gold can stay, etc.

Warm Sarsaparilla
Jan 3, 2012

No! Dammit, Kaat, you smiling cocksucker, you gotta carry yourself like a reliever! 273 games in relief's gotta mean something!

Anyway, in penance, I will be stuffing my jacket with dynamite tonight, in Coburn's name.

Warm Sarsaparilla
Jan 3, 2012

Lofton's not doing so hot. Old DiMaggio plays center. If he still can't get on base, how'd my young Brian Giles be in center? Speaking of, Albert Belle still sucks, so put Giles back in left. Rest Rod Carew with Baerga.

I'm all about the Coburn plan, obviously. Should I submit a roster, or is it too far away?

Warm Sarsaparilla
Jan 3, 2012

Comanchero Gauntlet Roster

2B Rod Carew
CF Joe DiMaggio
SS Rogers Hornsby
LF Manny Ramirez
1B Jeff Bagwell
3B Jim Thome/Edgar Martinez
RF Sammy Sosa
C Yogi Berra/Mike Stanley
DH Albert Belle

IF Carlos Baerga
IF Michael Young
OF Brian Giles

SP Bert Blyleven
SP Greg Maddux
SP Cliff Lee
SP Luis Tiant
MU Mike Garcia

CL Tom Henke
SR Goose Gossage
SR Jeff Reardon
SR Paul Assenmacher
MR Bill Campbell
LR Tom Seaver

Fear that lineup, cocksuckers.

Warm Sarsaparilla
Jan 3, 2012

Yup, I'm here. Will get you one tonight or early tomorrow. Looking forward to it.

Warm Sarsaparilla
Jan 3, 2012

Team Name: Coburns

Team Logo:

Home City: Fort Sumner, New Mexico

Home Stadium: the Ring of Iron (Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium, 330/385/402/385/330 [final dimensions])

28-Man Roster:

C Jorge Posada (1997)
C Don Slaught (1983)
UT George Brett (1983)
2B Ryne Sandberg (1985)
2B Rod Carew (1975)
SS Derek Eater (1997)
SS Barry Larkin (1987)
3B Mike Schmidt (1978)
4C Mel Ott (1933?) [from the Juggs - I don't have archives, sorry; if so he's from Deadwood, and that's funny]
LF Ted Williams (1939?) [Draft info says '39, cbx says '55? {from the Sharks}]
CF Bernie Williams (1997)
OF Brian Giles (1995)
OF Eric Davis (1987)
UT Willie Stargell (1965)

SP Bert Blyleven (1975)
SP Greg Maddux (1993)
SP Luis Tiant (1966)
SP Clifton Lee (2004)
SP Tom Seaver (1984) [old, but after a year like that...]
SP Mike Garcia (1954)
SP Orel Hershiser (1995)
SW Sonny Siebert (1966)
RP Tom HEN-KE (1992)
RP Goose Gossage (1984)
RP Jeff Reardon (1981)
RP John Franco (1987)
RP Bill Campbell (1975)
RP Paul Assenmacher (1995)

Lineups:

2B Rod Carew
RF Mel Ott
LF Ted Williams
3B Mike Schmidt
1B George Brett
CF Bernie Williams
C Jorge Posada
SS Derek Jeter

C Don Slaught (catches for Tiante)
2B Ryne Sandberg
SS Barry Larkin
OF Eric Davis
UT Willie Stargell
OF Brian Giles

Pitching Rotation:

SP Greg Maddux
SP Bert Blyleven
SP Cliff Lee
SP Luis Tiant
SP Tom Seaver

CL Tom Henke
SU Goose Gossage
SR Jeff Reardon
SR John Franco
MR Bill Campbell
LR Mike Garcia

Strategy (Rate on a scale from -5 to +5)

Hit and Run: -2
Sacrifice Bunt: -4
Squeeze Play: -3
Trying for extra bases: -2
Stealing Bases: -1
Aggressively Tagging Up: -1
Pitch Outs (to prevent stolen bases): -2
Giving Intentional Walks: -3
Pitching Around Good Hitters: +1
Bringing the Infield In: -2
Guarding the Lines: +1
Making Cutoff Throws: +1
Bringing in Pinch Hitters: -2
Bringing in Pinch Runners: +1
Bringing in Defensive Replacements: +1
Starting Pitchers on Short Rest: +1
Letting pitchers pitch throw trouble: -1
Letting Pitchers rack up high pitch counts: +2

I held to the Radbourns hitters/Comanchero pitcher rubric, with three second-tier exceptions, if you don't object. I like Rod Carew and Brian Giles, and John Franco is always fun.

Warm Sarsaparilla
Jan 3, 2012

Reckon you'd best trade up then, friendo.

Warm Sarsaparilla
Jan 3, 2012

Looks like I have the next pick, and I'm looking to trade down - anyone buying?

Warm Sarsaparilla
Jan 3, 2012

I feel it's only appropriate to the Coburns that I draft Dave Stieb, a broken-down version of whom hosed over the Cutthroats.

I'll also be adding '13 Eppa Rixey from the Comancheros to complete the Coburn 30-man roster. You cannot have enough starting pitching.

Warm Sarsaparilla
Jan 3, 2012

mks5000 posted:

You just traded a super draft pick for Jimmy Rollins.

Jimmy loving Rollins.

Young Jimmy Rollins is a very good player, though?

Hell, if people think second-rounders are so drat good, I'll put mine up for sale right fuckin' now. I'll entertain any reasonable offers.

Warm Sarsaparilla
Jan 3, 2012

Heh, that was pretty great. My compliments.

Not least because it preserves the Bagwell trade for posterity.

Convenient I'm in the same division as Toilet of Sadness this season; we'll see who's qualified to speak as an owner before it's over.

Warm Sarsaparilla
Jan 3, 2012

No exciting changes, just adding Stieb and Rixey.

30-Man Roster:

C Jorge Posada (1997)
C Don Slaught (1983)
UT George Brett (1983)
2B Ryne Sandberg (1985)
2B Rod Carew (1975)
SS Derek Jeter (1997)
SS Barry Larkin (1987)
3B Mike Schmidt (1978)
4C Mel Ott (1933) [from the Juggs]
LF Ted Williams (1939?) [Draft info says '39, cbx says '55? {via the Super Draft}]
CF Bernie Williams (1997)
OF Brian Giles (1995)
OF Eric Davis (1987)
UT Willie Stargell (1965)

SP Bert Blyleven (1975)
SP Greg Maddux (1994)
SP Luis Tiant (1966)
SP Clifton Lee (2004)
SP Tom Seaver (1984) [old, but after a year like that...]
SP Mike Garcia (1954)
SP Orel Hershiser (1995)
SP Dave Stieb (1985)
SW Eppa Rixey (1913)
SW Sonny Siebert (1966)
RP Tom HEN-KE (1992)
RP Goose Gossage (1984)
RP Jeff Reardon (1981)
RP John Franco (1987)
RP Bill Campbell (1975)
RP Paul Assenmacher (1995)

Lineups:

2B Rod Carew
RF Mel Ott
LF Ted Williams
3B Mike Schmidt
1B George Brett
CF Bernie Williams
C Jorge Posada
SS Derek Jeter

C Don Slaught (catches for Lee)
2B Ryne Sandberg
SS Barry Larkin
OF Eric Davis
UT Willie Stargell
OF Brian Giles

Pitching:

SP Greg Maddux
SP Bert Blyleven
SP Cliff Lee
SP Dave Stieb
SP Tom Seaver

CL Tom Henke
SU Goose Gossage
SR Jeff Reardon
SR John Franco
MR Bill Campbell
LR Mike Garcia

Minors:

SP Luis Tiant
SP Orel Hershiser
SW Eppa Rixey
SW Sonny Siebert
RP Paul Assenmacher

Home Stadium: the Ring of Iron (Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium, 330/385/402/385/330 [final dimensions])

Strategy (Rate on a scale from -5 to +5)

Hit and Run: -2
Sacrifice Bunt: -4
Squeeze Play: -3
Trying for extra bases: -2
Stealing Bases: -1
Aggressively Tagging Up: -1
Pitch Outs (to prevent stolen bases): -2
Giving Intentional Walks: -3
Pitching Around Good Hitters: +1
Bringing the Infield In: -2
Guarding the Lines: +1
Making Cutoff Throws: +1
Bringing in Pinch Hitters: -2
Bringing in Pinch Runners: +1
Bringing in Defensive Replacements: +1
Starting Pitchers on Short Rest: +1
Letting pitchers pitch throw trouble: -1
Letting Pitchers rack up high pitch counts: +2

Warm Sarsaparilla fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warm Sarsaparilla
Jan 3, 2012

D, grab spit of meat, then flee.

Looking forward to seeing what new avenues of disappointment my lads will venture down this evening.