Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012
Is there some slider that lets the AI manager rest people? Sitting dudes for weeks at a time isn't ideal.

I mean, I want to rest the sore guys in the Bearers lineup, but for a day or two here and there, not two series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012

Those are some impressive defensive stats, Mr. Williams. Polanco back to short, rest Edmonds with Averill in center.

kw0134 posted:

I'll approve firing Welch into the sun. Our only real choice to rest Simmons would be to break up the RF platoon and play both Bonds and Cavaretta full-time for the week (Bonds in LF, Cavaretta in RF).

Yeah, put Schilling back in for Welch. I blame the Oranges' Welcher for giving Smasher hope he'd not be hideously bad. Cavaretta to left, Bonds to right alone for the week is totally do-able. We could also use Mays or Murphy, but they seem to have caught some rapid aging disease. Also, Cronin can play third briefly; he started a bit there late in his career, that's why we drafted him specifically.

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012

kw0134 posted:

I suggested the other way around for Bonds/Cavaretta, so if that's a deliberate decision then I'll swap my suggestion around and vote for that if there's a particular reason for it.

Otherwise at the least I'll approve of moving Cronin to 3B for a week.

It seems to me Bonds is a natural right fielder, while Cavaretta is more of a utility player in this context. Many more games played in left.

Oh, and I forgot, bring Porter back up, send down Sandy Alomar, and resume the Porter Fiske Platoon. "Cornfields."

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012

Wow, what a great couple of weeks. I guess we'll give Lefty Williams a chance to gently caress up in place of Dennis Leonard. And put Edmonds back in for Averill, please; I forgot to do that last week, but it seems to have worked out OK!

We should probably put Stan Hack back in at third base, Cronin's not really a long-term 3B. We have a really good infield defense, so I guess that's a point in our favor?

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012
Re: a 3B platoon, yeah, I think I'll switch to that after Polanco heals up and I can take Matt "Not A Shortstop" Williams out of the daily lineup.

Thanks for the double-feature game of the week. Poor Bearers. Speaking of...

A message to posterity: Do not draft '67 Tom Seaver! Yes, I know, it's Tom Seaver...but it is rookie Tom Terrific and he will loving end you!

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012

Actually, pull LaMarr Hoyt and stick General Crowder into short relief. He did OK there earlier this year, as I recall.

Re: strength of starting teams, I was helped out a bit by both the first auction and a couple challenges. That was nice.

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012

I think "fixing my third base problem" looks a lot like "hoping Eddie Mathews doesn't suck next year." For now, though, platoon him with Matt Williams because apparently I haven't learned my lesson yet.

Rest Edmonds with Averill again. gently caress, this is like the fourth time. Stop being old, Jimbo!

Swap Berkman and Bagwell in the lineup, please. Rickey's certainly doing well, I must say.

I would welcome a Rule V Draft just so someone picks up my Will Clark expecting him to be good. To be fair, he was a great DH for me back when I was in that League. But take my Matt Morris, please!

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012

Bench Lefty Williams. DL Greinke. I guess Bob Feller to second in the rotation, Appier to fifth, Irvin Sam McDowell in as long man.

I'm bidding LaMarr Hoyt for Jhonny Peralta and Ray Lankford for David Freese.

UltimoDragonQuest, are you still selling pitchers off your feeders? Anything interest you that I can spare?

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012

Welcome to the jungle, Losers! You're gonna...suffer from malariaaahhhh.

Rest everyone! Ish.

LF Hisle
CF Averill
C Alomar
1B Fiske
RF Drew
SS Renteria
3B Williams
2B Money

(from the top, not from next to pitch)
SP McDowell
SP Morris
SP Feller
SP Messersmith
SP Appier

LR Williams

Thanks! I can't really afford to lose anyone at this juncture. Also, this is probably the worst lineup in Super League history.

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012
Ouch. Sorry, mrnoun.

So, Smasher, when do you want playoff rosters?

I enjoyed that "preview the contenders" thing you did for the Smasher League last week, by the way. Always glad to hear your insights.

What will Mornacale do with the shower of mediocrity he won in the auction? The world wonders.

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012
Great preview. But if the better team always won best-of-fives, the world would be a simpler and much more boring place.

Imperial Dynamo League Division Series Roster

LF Rickey Henderson
2B Eddie Collins
RF Lance Berkman
CF Jim Edmonds
1B Jeff Bagwell
C Darrell Porter/Carlton Fisk
SS Edgar Renteria
3B Eddie Mathews/Matt Williams

Bench:
IF Placido Polanco
OF Ray Lankford
OF JD Drew
PH Ralph Kiner

SP Hilton Smith
SP Don Sutton
SP Zack Greinke
SP Kevin Appier (The narrative is too good!)

Relief Ace Jonathan Papelbon
Setup Man Mike Timlin
LOOGY Alan Embree
Innings Eater General Crowder
Lame Duck Boomer Wells
Long Relief Andy Messersmith
Mop-up Bob Feller

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012
Regrettable. Distressing. Ah, well, until next season.

I must remember to investigate whether "General" Crowder is any relation to Bo, Bowman, or Boyd. It would explain his dogged stupidity and hirsute incompetence, if nothing else.

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012
Wait, Mogul thinks Ray Lankford is a better 3B replacement than Matt Williams or Placido Polanco? Good God.

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012

Submitted for Discussion because Someone Has To, the

Bearers Gauntlet Roster!

SS Luke Appling
CF Kenny Lofton
1B Willie McCovey
RF Lance Berkman/Bobby Bonds
LF Al Simmons
C Ted Simmons
DH Willie Mays
3B Stan Hack
2B Craig Biggio

C Victor Martinez (Catches for Marichal)
IF Joe Cronin
OF Dale Murphy
UT Phil Cavaretta

#1 Mordecai Brown
#2 Juan Marichal
#3 Gaylord Perry
#4 Curt Schilling
Mopup Ted Lyons
Closer Bruce Sutter
Setup Todd Worrell
Short Relief Roberto Hernandez
Short Relief Steve Hamilton
Middle Relief Paul Assenmacher
Long Relief Tom Seaver

Looking forward to a corporate obituary consisting of crickets and unintelligible muttering.

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I'm not thrilled with my options.
Offer me something for my pick right now!

I basically want Willie McCovey but in a position other than first base. I am set with catching too.

'51 Ralph Kiner? 185 OPS+, dingers for days.

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012

mks5000 posted:

On that note, I'm looking to sell some pitching. 1976 Jim Kaat or 1972 Mel Stottlemyre for a corner outfield platoon bat, preferably a lefty.

Can I interest you in a JD Drew? 2000 vintage, excellent patience, would be a great 4th outfielder/platoon guy. Best of all, you don't have to pay his contract!

I'd be looking for '76 Jim Kaat, '76 Ron Reed, and '95 Randy Velarde (because my infield is cursed and I need warm tepid bodies to sacrifice).

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012

Faustoan Bargain posted:

I've got the pick after mks5000 and I'm still not 100% on which way to go, so I'm open to offers for the pick as well. Ideally I'd like to improve my CF situation (2012 Werth/Harper) or rotation, but I'm in no position to turn down offers at C, SS, or 3B.

Hall of Famer ('37) Earl Averill would solve your CF sitch immediately, and I could also send you the surprisingly decent-hitting '95 Sandy Alomar Jr.

Mornacale - I'll take you up on the corpse of Eddie Mathews (I have a too-young version, and maybe they'll average to greatness!) if you'll take 2000 Rick Ankiel. :getin:

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012

Faustoan Bargain posted:

Any other options for a second player? As many memories as Alomar gave me, I'm not sure he's really an upgrade over what I've got... a better catcher (or IF depth) with Averill could probably get it done.

Well, my other two catchers are Darrell Porter and Carlton Fisk, who've been great for me, and while I could pry one loose to pair with Averill, it would take a good deal more than the pick.

I have a great deal of infield depth, though most of it is kind of meh; Matt Williams ('91) has a lot of power, and Mogul thinks he can play shortstop as well, if that interests you. I also have a somewhat embarrassing number of spare starting pitchers who would not be awful, but are not going to be great, either (Dennis Leonard, CYA-winner LaMarr Hoyt, etc).

Would you be willing to throw in Sean Burnett? My bullpen is kind of shady.

Viscount Slim fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Dec 6, 2012

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012

mks5000 posted:

While I'm slightly interested by JD Drew, I am not exactly in a position to give up Randy Valverde because infield depth is one of my biggest problems. If Collins or Cash get hurt then I absolutely need Valverde on this team.

Fair enough, any other throw-ins you can add in lieu of Velarde? He's certainly not worth killing the deal over. I only suggested him because you're going to have to pare down to 28 players after the picks, etc.

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012

Faustoan Bargain posted:

I'm not confident enough in my pen to part with Burnett, I fear.
(EDIT: Oh, right, he actually wasn't rostered; I was just considering adding him as an extra southpaw due to Thornton's lousy EC season. Yeah, I guess either of those guys could be expendable enough, then.)

Haha, fair enough. I'm leaning pretty heavily on Alan Embree ffs, so I'm looking for any lefty reliever with a pulse.

Faustoan Bargain posted:

What years Porter and Fisk are we talking about? And what beyond the pick would each require?

It honestly wasn't even on my radar until now; they combined for 26 home runs last season for me, which is Real Good for catchers in the Super League. They're '75 and '84 respectively. Problem is, a lot of your strengths are also mine - I need a reliable left side of the infield and a few more competent rotation arms. I don't know, Fisk is better than what's left in the draft pool, you want Averill, Fisk, and Matt Williams for your last two picks, Ian Desmond, and the LOOGY of your choice? Two Hall guys+ is pretty good value.

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012
Understandable.

Sure, that works for me. I'll give Thornton a shot if you're dissatisfied with him.

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012

Smasher Dynamo posted:

I don't know, if I'm going to do supplemental picks, I'd probably want to give a few picks to teams that survived the Super-League, but didn't make the playoffs as well.

Ha, well, pretty sure I need help more than, say, the Landers.

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012
So if I smash Michael Young and Placido Polanco together really hard, like Little Boy gun barrel critical mass bomb hard, will I have Rogers Hornsby playing shortstop?

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012

Rather than draft for need and replace Rawly Eastwick, I'll chase the fading star of César Cedeño.

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012

Super League VIII Roster/Lineup

LF Rickey Henderson (1989)
2B Eddie Collins (1911)
1B Jeff Bagwell (1994)
CF Jim Edmonds (2000)
RF Lance Berkman (2010)/César Cedeño (1980)
C Darrell Porter (1975)/Carlton Fisk (1984) [the return of Porter Fiske]
3B Eddie Mathews (1954)/Matt Williams (1991)
SS Edgar Rentería (2000)

Bench:

IF Michael Young (2010)
OF J.D. Drew (2000)
PH Will Clark (2000)

Pitching:

SP Hilton Smith (Negro Leagues)
SP Don Sutton (1982)
SP Bob Feller (1937)
SP Zack Greinke (2006)
SP Sam McDowell (1966)

CL Jonathan Papelbon (2007)
SU Mike Timlin (2000)
SR Matt Thornton (2011)
SR Alan Embree (1995)
MR David Wells (1992)
LR Andy Messersmith (1970)

Minors:

SP Lefty Williams (1919)
SP Dennis Leonard (1977)
SP Kevin Appier (1989)
SP Matt Morris (2000)
SW General Crowder (1930)
RP Rawly Eastwick (1975)
RP Ted Wilks (1951)
SS Robin Yount (1975)
SS Ian Desmond (2012)
IF Placido Polanco (2000)
IF Don Money (1975)
C Sandy Alomar (1995)
OF Larry Hisle (1975)
OF Ray Lankford (2000)
UT Danny Tartabull (1989)
LF Ralph Kiner (1951)

Viscount Slim fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Dec 11, 2012

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012

ToiletofSadness posted:

Viscount, how in the hell have you survived this long with such terrible shortstops?

By keeping a stiff upper lip and maintaining a firm belief in six mediocre shortstops being equivalent to one good one.

I really enjoyed the Bearers obit, Smasher - you're a machine.

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012
Bunch of people too young to have tasted that swill spotted. I support the C falafel variant.

Poor Rapid Robert. I expected my young fireballers to be lottery tickets this year, but no earned runs and two losses is demoralizing. I'm not worried about my start, honestly, because my pitching seems OK (except for Greinke's early hook game), and if Bagwell and Edmonds decide not to hit all year, then I am Just hosed and no amount of fretting will change that.

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012
Χρυσή Αυγή wants to take back Constantinople Istanbul for Greece, and are truly colossal fuckheads. Also, JRPGs are stultifyingly ridiculous and foreshadow the death of creativity. I guess that leaves a creepy billionaire demagogue. B.

Feller works, Sudden Sam doesn't. Send him down. Push Greinke to the five slot, use Messersmith in fourth, Dennis Leonard to long relief.

Poor Ted Williams. Student should have traded him to Marauder when he had the chance.

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012

cucka posted:

wait...

And I have to ask, just read the last few pages. Why is a singular gyro pluralized? If he gonna eat 3? And the ones I make don't get onion. Some nice Romaine heart instead. To each their own.

E: And cucumber yogurt is called tzatziki.

Because γύρος ends with an 's' sound, and Greek folks will look at you tiredly if you ask for a "jy-row."

Ugh. OK, Porter becomes Sutton's (oy, Sutton, break out the coarse grit stuff, eh?) personal catcher, Fisk starts. Send down Renteria, call up teenage Ybin Rnt (he's Welsh) to start. Despair at bullpen.

Time to get centered, A.

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012
You're both loose coonans, you can't go against your nature.

But yeah, C.

Viscount Slim fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 26, 2012

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012
My strategy of doing nothing much and hoping my hitting gets better paid off! I think.

Also. A.

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012
Well, this is sure to last!

Stick JD Drew in left and Michael Young at second for the week. Do not pull this "I get sore every three weeks" poo poo on me again, Jimmy. Suck it up.

A.

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012

Faustoan Bargain posted:

Got a couple names I'm interested enough in, but think I'd prefer to trade down at this point. Anyone looking to move up? I'd be open to taking a later pick plus a depth guy (or just two late picks, given how many holes my roster has), or might just give up the pick for a power bat/starter.

Well, if you're sending down Harper, you'll have a gap at LF. I've got '51 Ralph Kiner: .309/.452/.627 that year, for a 185 OPS+. Lead the majors in home runs. If memory serves, he hit 30 HR for me the first two seasons in the League.

Give me the pick - just look how well Averill is working out for you!

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012
My thanks to the baseballing soviet of Cleveland - in keeping with Bob Feller and Sam McDowell, we will be drafting

Smoky Joe Wood.

Maddux is safer, but let other teams be satisfied with safety! We ride the fireball!

Eddie Collins back to second base, Rickey back to LF. Send down old Will Clark, call up Tartabull and platoon him with Berkman, platoon Cedeño with Edmonds to give him an extra day off. Thanks, Smasher.

Haha, B!

(mentholmoose and the Failures are on the clock)

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012
Possibly a dumb question, but, as I understand it, Martín Dihigo was able to play a number of positions as well as pitching. To what extent would that be reflected if drafted?

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012
The Burma Imperialists Select The poo poo Out Of

Martín Dihigo.

Of an uncertain vintage.

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Are you going to use him primarily as a position player or as a pitcher?

I'd like to hold back from that decision for another week, if you don't mind. Obviously willing to refrain from using him in that time. Want to see if teenage Yount is actually worthwhile.

In preparation for the Tetrachampaton, let's see if Darrell Porter improves with a week or two in the minors - call up Sandy Alomar Jr to take over Porter's personal catcher duties.

I have no idea what to do about MVP-year Bagwell. I know he'd had a history of being bad for everyone but me, but I feel so betrayed. :saddowns:

Viscount Slim fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 3, 2013

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012

quote:

Dynamo League

Catcher
[ ] Johnny Bench (DUB) (.269/.319/.358, 3 HR, 3.2 WAR)

First Baseman
[ ] Todd Helton (ONE) (.276/.342/.437, 7 HR, 5.0 WAR)

Second Baseman
[ ] Charlie Gehringer (POR) (.304/.376/.447, 2 HR, 7.9 WAR)

Third Baseman
[ ] John McGraw (CAN) (.332/.425/.373, 0 HR, 5.1 WAR)

Shortstop
[ ] Julio Franco (SJE) (.309/.360/.471, 7 HR, 5.0 WAR)

Left Fielder
[ ] GOOOOOOSE Goslin (RCH) (.322/.364/.450, 3 HR, 4.8 WAR) [Tris Speaker isn't a LF]

Center Fielder
[ ] Jim Edmonds (BUR) (.286/.366/.485, 8 HR, 5.9 WAR) [Homer Vote]

Right Fielder
[ ] Ichiro Suzuki (FLO) (.348/.359/.426, 1 HR, 6.3 WAR)

Designated Hitter
[ ] Ted Williams (NYF) (.289/.402/.529, 13 HR, 5.7 WAR)

Manager
[ ] IceMole (CLU) (1x Sic Transit Vir Champion, Might actually show up in the thread if nominated)

Smasher League

Catcher
[ ] Gabby Hartnett (NEA) (.267/.333/.366, 0 HR, 4.0 WAR)

First Baseman
[ ] Lou Gehrig (FIN) (.342/.432/.556, 8 HR, 5.8 WAR)

Second Baseman
[ ] Red Schoendienst (BRN) (.304/.337/.433, 5 HR, 5.1 WAR)

Third Baseman
[ ] Bobby Grich (LOM) (.262/.366/.497, 10 HR, 6.8 WAR, is totally a third base, shut up!)

Shortstop
[ ] Barry Larkin (LOM) (.307/.344/.451, 5 HR, 5.7 WAR)

Left Fielder
[ ] Zack Wheat (OXB) (.304/.329/.433, 2 HR, 5.2 WAR)

Center Fielder
[ ] Mike Trout (SPO) (.293/.338/.431, 6 HR, 5.8 WAR)

Right Fielder
[ ] Roberto Clemente (CLO) (.312/.331/.476, 6 HR, 4.3 WAR)

Designated Hitter
[ ] Sadaharu Oh (LOM) (.274/.341/.452, 11 HR, 5.6 WAR)

Manager
[ ] The Merry Marauder (1x Division Champion, Villainy knows no bounds!)

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012

Well, Robin Yount seems to be not-awful this time, and I do have a legion of stopgaps, so...I guess Dihigo should remain a pitcher.

Replace Matt Thornton with Ted Wilks, and rest Berkman with JD Drew for the week.

B!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012

My condolences to the Elephants. I shall remember you each time I play billiards with my ivory set painted in your colors.

Martín Dihigo in for Bob Feller, please. He had his run. Bagwell continues to sadden me, let's try a platoon of Berkman and Bagwell at 1B.

C, clearly.