Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

This is stupid and insane which is why I'd give this a go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Koop's construction is kind of scary (a 44 year old Paige? A Viola who's 20 and pitched ~70 ERA+ that year? Yikes.) and I'm not sure I totally trust the '12 Nationals, seems like Mogul takes promising stars and kneecaps them for being young.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I guess I'll approve so we can get this ball rolling finally.

CthuluDreams: What are you looking for in your Hack Wilson? I've got a Greg Maddux, Nomar Garciaparra and other fine pieces you can probably use looking at your roster and trade history.

kw0134 fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Aug 6, 2012

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Just to keep this rolling, I preapprove all of our initial slider choices and stadium dimensions. Aesthetic details such as logo/banner I'd like to see first. (Yes, the important things when running a team.)

I suggest we appoint one of the partners to act as GM for day-to-day needs like roster moves in light of injuries. I'd also empower this person to explore trades as opportunity and need arise, with final approval still subject to vote by a proper quorum of partners. For the sake of needless drama, any single partner can object to any move and effectively countermand the GM. I nominate Viscount Slim for this if he's willing, and if he's not I've got free time and I check up on the thread daily anyway.

---

Cthulu Dreams: Maddux is vintage 2004. For corner outfielders, I've got lots of pieces: hall of famers Gwynn and Rice, Sammy Sosa and Moises Alou (who has a ridiculous .440 OBP for me this season), and maybe, maybe if you're willing to give up something interesting, Barry Bonds. No relief pitching I'm afraid.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Gingmidget!
I have a 2004 Nomar Garciaparra who would be a huge upgrade to you. Unfortunately, he's my backup SS (and 3B) and I'm screwed if something happens to my starter. However, I only need a backup, not a full time replacement, so I'm happy to take from your hands young Chipper Jones who's cooling off in your minors, Dazzy Vance and Steve Bedroisian, both of whom aren't even on the roster.

You get a proven, versatile quantity, for the price of a bunch of pieces you will likely never use. It's effectively free for you!

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Viscount Slim posted:

If the other owners agree, I'd like to offer '79 Keith Hernandez to NotThatSamBeckett, who expressed interest, for, I guess, '86 John Smiley and the Postmodernist second-round Super-Draft (not dispersal) pick? I don't think we need to carry four or five guys who can play first base. He also asked for Biggio, so I would also put forward Hernandez and Biggio for their third round dispersal pick. 71 Dick Dietz would be fine as our backup, and we're in a numbers crunch, to be honest.
That's fine, I consent to the trade offer as it stands.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

My share of the St Paul Bearers votes for a massive class of teams!

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Confirming the St Paul Bearer's trade.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Viscount Slim posted:

We're going to have to give Willie Mays frequent days off - short of benching him every other week or something, I'm open to suggestions.
Maybe drop Lofton, and pick up Griffey Sr. to platoon with Mays? Sounds like the easiest way to do this without driving Smasher to distraction. It's not ideal for performance but I just don't see anyway of doing otherwise. I'd guess we demote Joe Kelley to the minors to free up space in the majors.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Oh man, those Senerio draft picks are now worth...something.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

St Paul Bearers
Would like to rectify the issue at 2B by moving Biggio there if I can find the rest of my co-owners to sign off. :ohdear:

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Viscount Slim posted:

It doesn't have to be anything so firm, though I rolled my eyes at appreciate your attempt to inveigle more power for yourself.

Let's vote on this:

Each of the owners of the St. Paul Bearers shall have the ability to change roles and positions within reason*, with a vote of ownership being necessary only if an objection is raised by another owner.

Transactions with other franchises shall still require a full vote.

*(reason defined in this case as playing a player at a position he is competent at - no first basemen at second, for instance)
I had earlier proposed a full time GM slot but this works just as well...or is at least no less dysfunctional.

Approved.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The St Paul Bearers, as a fail-safe, put in a default draft preference of BPA, BPA, BPA until I can get some semblance of functionality from the other owners.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Viscount Slim posted:

Absent further conversation, I'd say we should probably go
Round 1: SP
Round 2: Foxx/Klein/Berkman/Murray/Schoendienst/Lazzeri
Round 3: Foxx/Klein/Berkman/Murray/Schoendienst/Lazzeri/SP

With the understanding that if we get one of the first four in the 2nd round, we move on to utility guy in the 3rd.

I certainly like some of those pitchers over others, but I don't want to get into that here.
I'm decently pleased with our starting position players, so yeah, I can get behind the idea that beyond a SP and at our drafting position what we can take is gravy. Since The Paris Polyarny proposed a trade along the lines you suggested, I would concur if you will.

I approve of both a prospective trade for backup catching and this draft selection.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Pretty sure you have all the votes necessary but I'll approve the Bearer's roster.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Haven't you learned your lesson by now, Smasher?

The Generics bid Joe Judge and Moises Alou on 1* Lenny Dykstra.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Leave it to my team to make a 1* challenge a goddamn slog. Yank Santo for Garciaparra at 3B; slot in Zachary for Mercker at Short Relief, Zambrano should be Long Relief, and we'll let Finley ride in CF until I see Dykstra's stats.

Cano/Kent should be a platoon at 2B and Gwynn/Sosa the same at RF, if they are not already.

We'll also put in the same Judge/Alou combo for a 1* 1970 Catfish Hunter challenge because I have a feeling this will be a long season. :sigh:

St Paul Bearers
Too early to panic, let's wait a bit.

kw0134 fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Sep 24, 2012

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Rochester Generics
:suicide: Okay, well that's not totally fatal. Let's move Dykstra into CF and see what happens. For the record, Mogul really likes Garciaparra a lot more than young Santo for whatever reason. Who am I to question Mogul's judgment on such matters?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Rochester Generics
The knuckleballer isn't working for me this seasons so he's off the minors while I give Finley a shot in the fourth spot, pushing Luque to fifth.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Viscount Slim posted:

Good thing we drafted Joe Cronin after all. He should start for now.
Oh we did, didn't we? I concur.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Welcome to the worst employment climate for the legal profession since the government started tracking these stats!

(I kid, congratulations!)

Rochester Generics
Whelp, let's pull Dykstra and put Finley back in. I dunno what else there is to do without risking talent I don't have on challenges I can't win.

St. Paul Bearers
Let's do the RF platoon and let's ride out the other change for another week, the least of which is because I simply can't muster the energy to figure out if it's a good idea.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Rochester Generics
Luque went from dependable to an abomination. Let's drop him into long relief and promote Zambrano.

I don't remember the show you associated with my team and watching the linked video only brings relief that it still doesn't ring any bells.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Rochester Generics
Wait, what happened to Appling? Goddammn it Mogul. Also I'm pulling Walle in MR for Miceli.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Rochester Generics
I guess I'll have to give the ball to Niekro unless we can limp by on a four pitcher rotation until Brown gets back. And I'll have to wait until the draft to fix catcher, I guess. Or the next expansion cup for my next team :sigh:

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

ForeverBWFC posted:

Approve the Bearer's trades damnit! :colbert:
Fine, I approve whatever outstanding trade offers the Bearers are entertaining.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Rochester Generics
If Mogul thinks Kent can play 3B, then let's do it. Mogul is really really really down on Santo.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Rochester Generics
Only vote for Barry Bonds in LF for the All-Star game but that seems like an uphill battle for representation :smith:

Draft Preferences:
Round 1: Best of either SS/3B, at least no worse than Cronin in SS or Chipper Jones in 3B. If not, then a catcher no worse than Munson. If not, then a cyanide pill and your best SP.

Round 2: As above, but the best pitcher available from either SP or RP.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Rochester Generics
So Smasher, small sample sizes aside, should I let Niekro back into the rotation or ride Zambrano out? I am aware these are very poor options but those apparently are my options.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Viscount Slim posted:

Given our rising (plummeting?) draft position, it now behooves us to go SP in both rounds, starting whoever we get immediately in 4th and 5th slots.

We also need to platoon Lofton and Murphy in center, start Appling at SS, and use Worrell at setup. Dennis Martinez is a patch for the injured Passeau.
I approve these moves. I dunno, on paper this team should be doing a lot better (Schilling/Lyon failing aside) than the record indicates but, well, look at my team.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Smasher, before I commit to Chipper Jones in my 1st round, how's Kent doing at 3B? Might be redundant if he's doing fine defensively.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Rochester Generics
Welp, this is going to be a "fun" season. Berra in catcher, Ellis in 5 spot, Zambrano back to LR, and we'll put Goose Goslin in LF while Rice covers 1B. That covers everything I think.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Dynamo League Week 12 Injury Report
Rochester Generics
Trevor Hoffman (RP) (Blood for Wins) - 16 days
If I survive I'm moving the team to some place a little less hopeless like Flint or Baghdad.

Rochester Generics
Is Wood a closer? Do I have a choice? And I guess we'll move Mercker up to SR while Hawkins is my setup guy.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Rochester Generics
Dear catchers,

Two of you are well-deserved Hall of Famers. So stop sucking, please.

Thank you,
Rochester.

PS: Make the batting order as follows:
Nomar Garciaparra
Tony Gwynn
Goose Goslin
Jeff Kent
Robinson Cano
Sam Rice
Steve Finley
Yogi Berra
[Pitcher Slot]

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Rochester Generics
Sam Rice (RF) (Another sacrifice) - 9 days
:bang:

Okay, Dykstra in LF, unless Sosa can do that.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Analysis
Look who's making a run! I'm not sure how you're doing it, but hey, somethings are jut inexplicable. You should swap Finley and Tiant in your rotation, though.
The Generics will ask you to make the Finley and Tiant swap in the rotation, please.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Trade Bait
My Barry Bonds is injured and I'm in the midst of a hot streak. I'd like to, finally, make it into the playoffs or at least a bye to the next season. To that end, I'm offering up Sir Barrold Bonds of 1999 vintage, first pick in his dispersal draft, for comparable greatness. Preference will be in CF, catcher, or pairs of corner outfields.

NEW OWNERS! You will get a chance to take him completely healed up and ready to mash taters. There is NO waiting, he is refreshed for you and your expansion cup aspirations if you submit a winning offer.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

ForeverBWFC posted:

Would you take Duke Snider and Johnny Roseboro?
Snider's good but Roseboro is org fodder.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Mornacale posted:

I have a surplus of catching: 1932 Ernie Lombardi, 1968 Bill Freehan, 1990 , and 2004 Jason Kendall. I also have 1932 Chick Hafey who can mash in CF (or LF). I also have 1964 Boog Powell, 1968 Willie Horton, 1968 Al Kaline, 2004 Craig Wilson, and 2004 Jason Bay to hit dongs in corner OF. I also have, you know, other stuff.

Anything jump out?
Well, I'd like to take Kaline out for a spin, and Hafey might be an interesting choice for CF given that he was supposedly half blind (and Bill James thinks he was a bad joke of a HoF selection). Both mens' best days are behind them and it doesn't seem like you're even starting either of them so perhaps both for Bonds?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Mornacale posted:

I'm pretty concerned about giving up that much for a dude with a significant injury risk. My roster is a little goofy right now because I want to use the EL to see what I've got; for the real league I expect Hafey to be my everyday LF (and backup CF), and Kaline to at least platoon at 1B in addition to backup up RF. You're particularly underestimating Hafey, I think: he's only 29 in that season, he has an elite contact bat with good power and speed, and he can play okay defense anywhere in the OF (his OVR actually rises a little if you move him to CF).

(He was a real bad Hall choice, though, no denying that. :shobon: )

I need to either give up less or snag a pitcher/middle infield/capable backup CF.
Well I could toss in a 1993 Lenny Dykstra for your backup concerns. I don't think Bonds is necessarily injury prone, it's just been one of those seasons where the whole drat team thinks the DL is some fantastic theme park with rides and treats and they're all aching to go.

Senerio posted:

Better question: Who do you have on your 28 man that you can't justify ancient Eddie Mathews as a backup hand on third?
The same reason that I have a young Eddie Mathews who consistently finds his way back to the minors; Mogul really hates players starting or ending their careers and thinks not only they've fallen off the cliff, they're happily digging deeper into the impact crater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Dynamo League Week 14 Injury Report

Rochester Generics
Luis Tiant (SP) (The Plague of Rochester) - 15 days
Okay, so I guess Finley moves back up to 4th (if that's possible) and I put Niekro in the fifth spot. I assume going to a four man rotation is a bad, bad idea.