Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which is the greatest camera of all time
Pentax MX
Pentax ME
Pentax ME Super
Together they form a trinity of perfection.
View Results

• Locked thread
change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Mr. Despair posted:

The SMC Takumar 35/3.5 is great. Looks like KEH only has the uncoated version (which is good but not as good if you're going to be shooting color film mostly), but keep an eye out on ebay or keh in the future and you should be able to find one for fairly cheap, and an m42 adapter is dirt cheap. There's a k-mount version of the lens, but it's rarer and more expensive and all it gets you is auto aperture.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/937-PENTAX-SMC-TAKUMAR-35-3-5-LENS-MINT-M42-/151278032632?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item2338df96f8 is what i'm talking about, but that price seems high.

Are most Takumar lenses good (or at least worth grabbing)? I've seen quite a few at the flea market and don't want to end up with a bunch of vivitar-grade poo poo lenses just going to waste on my desk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Yes, most super or smc tak is pretty decent at least when it comes to primes.
The 50/1.4 is particularly good.

That said, a lot a vivtar glass in the era is also good, so don't walk by them. The series 1 70-210 is considered notibily good.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

change my name posted:

Are most Takumar lenses good (or at least worth grabbing)? I've seen quite a few at the flea market and don't want to end up with a bunch of vivitar-grade poo poo lenses just going to waste on my desk.

Within their context they were great lenses. SMC coating was decades ahead of its time and pretty much everyone ended up either licensing it (Zeiss, as T*) or quietly copying it when the patent expired. And Pentax didn't pull their punches with the Takumar lens designs, they were as good as can be expected for the 50s/60s/70s.

However there are limitations. Long lens design is pretty straightforward but superwide retrofocal lenses have always been pretty tough to design. Anything 28mm and longer is just fine and totally worth picking up. The 15mm lens came later (same time and design as the K-mount version) and is also OK (not great value, but it's fine optically). But most of the 24mm and 20mm lenses are on the weak side by modern standards - they won't be useless, but you'll want to stop down for maximum sharpness. Also most of the super-telephoto designs are pretty standard triplet-derived designs that don't have ED glass and suffer some CA, particularly the faster-ish ones. And using a sensor with a crop factor sours the deal somewhat - a 35mm f/3.5 is nice, a 50mm f/3.5 equivalent is not so attractive in comparison to a 35/1.8 DX or a Sigma 30/2.8.

You have to remember that at the time Pentax started doing lenses 35mm was a wide-angle lens and 28mm was a superwide, and most of the wide lens offerings at the time were slower than today. There weren't as many exotic glasses and aspherics weren't something put into mass-produced lenses. Those things really help "exotic" lenses like superwides and superfast lenses. So I look at it like this, at the time it came out a 35mm f/2 or a 24mm f/3.5 was a top shelf lens (and people didn't expect such lenses to behave perfectly wide open), but nowadays they're kicked around by a cheap Samyang and they still cost nearly as much. In comparison the "modest" designs like the 35mm f/3.5 or the 50/1.4 or even the 135/2.5 have aged into classics and can be had for photo-dollar pocket change. I have the same complaint about Nikon and others too - an AI-S Nikkor 35/1.4 costs way too much in comparison to a Samyang.

So I wouldn't go paying top dollar for any of it, particularly not some of the more exotic lenses, but if you see cheap Takumars they're usually worth picking up to shoot. The early Asahiflex M37 stuff or some of the early M42 lenses with the same formulas are very collectible and definitely worth picking up. There's some interesting stuff there - in the process of figuring out retrofocus SLR lens design they made about four completely different 50mm lens designs, including a Sonnar and a Heliar type. However, they're all inferior to the later Super/SMCs for actual shooting.

Of course this only applies to prime lenses, with the exception of the 70-200 type most zooms were garbage until about the 90s. And of course they'll be manual-focus, manual aperture, etc.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 1, 2014

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Note that for collect-ability, the early 8 element super tak is probably more valuable that the later 7 element super and SMC. Arguably, it takes better photos than the 7 element, but I'd go for the better coating every day (though you should be using a lens hood with any of these lens, the coating is no where near as good as modern lens).

If you see a cheap (<$100) 85mm tak (as you're at flea markets), buy it. I've never shot one as they cost as much as modern lens, but if it sucks or isn't that great, you can sell them for quite a bit. The 85/1.8 SMC is pretty expensive ($600 at keh), I haven't a clue if it is worth it.

Also, I do really enjoy the 50 and 100mm macro lenses, though with full manual, shooting things at move probably isn't productive. When you get it just right, it is really sharp and is pretty rewarding.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
I found an SMC Tak 85mm F1.8 at a Pawn shop for $20 in a bag of other crap. Sold it the next day for $500. Could have gotten 7 if I wanted to deal with eBay. :cool:

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

So basically pick up any cheap takumar stuff I find, because even if I don't need it I can flip it for a profit. Got it!

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

There is one exception. Non-screw mount takumars are budget Pentax lenses. They revived the name in the 80s briefly and featured simpler designs, worse coatings and build quality. Kind of like nikon E series but worse.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Mightaswell posted:

I found an SMC Tak 85mm F1.8 at a Pawn shop for $20 in a bag of other crap. Sold it the next day for $500. Could have gotten 7 if I wanted to deal with eBay. :cool:

I hate you. That is a loving score.

change my name posted:

So basically pick up any cheap takumar stuff I find, because even if I don't need it I can flip it for a profit. Got it!
Kind of. Some lenses are so common as to destroy any value. The 200/4.0 and 55/1.8 or 2 come to mind. They're both decent lenses though, so worst case, you can take some pictures. That said, there are very few M42 taks that are worth more than $100-150 dollars. Basically only the 85, very wides with big apertures (for the 60s), and giant teles. They made a 1000mm tak that I'd love to play around with some day, even though it would basically be useless.

nm fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 1, 2014

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

nm posted:

I hate you. That is a loving score.
It was my proudest picking achievement.

quote:

That said, there are very few M42 taks that are worth more than $100-150 dollars. Basically only the 85...

Something about 85's in any mount make them weirdly expensive.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Mightaswell posted:

Something about 85's in any mount make them weirdly expensive.

The Nikkor-H/AI 85/1.8 isn't too absurdly priced ($190) and the modern Canon EF 85/1.8 is dirt cheap.

But yeah, it's still quite a bit more than a 105/2.5 or something like that, and as a rule it's strangely true. I always wondered why that was.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Paul MaudDib posted:

The Nikkor-H/AI 85/1.8 isn't too absurdly priced ($190) and the modern Canon EF 85/1.8 is dirt cheap.

But yeah, it's still quite a bit more than a 105/2.5 or something like that, and as a rule it's strangely true. I always wondered why that was.

Probably because of low circulation? Are there a ton of uses for an 85mm lens? Especially on a crop frame camera?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

change my name posted:

Probably because of low circulation? Are there a ton of uses for an 85mm lens? Especially on a crop frame camera?

They're a pretty standard portrait lens. You'd think they would be pretty commonly circulated, but I actually just did the math and Nikon (for example) made twice as many 105/2.5s as 85/1.8 and 85/2s (pre-AI, AI, AIS) combined, so I think you're right.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I've got this old thing now

The release cycle seems to miss sometimes and stop midway. I can only unlock the mecanism by moving the shutter switch from auto to another position.

According to the kyphoto link on the first page the mirrorbox needs to cleaned ?
I might give it a shot if it's an easy enough procedure for a dumb. On the other hand I bought local and the guy would'nt mind taking it back if its' too broken.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

unpacked robinhood posted:

I've got this old thing now

The release cycle seems to miss sometimes and stop midway. I can only unlock the mecanism by moving the shutter switch from auto to another position.

According to the kyphoto link on the first page the mirrorbox needs to cleaned ?
I might give it a shot if it's an easy enough procedure for a dumb. On the other hand I bought local and the guy would'nt mind taking it back if its' too broken.

Does it ever hang up in 125x mode? If that always works you might have a dead battery.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Despair posted:

Does it ever hang up in 125x mode? If that always works you might have a dead battery.

I tried to make it glitch again in both modes but it did'nt happen. I have some cheap film inside now so I guess I'll see.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Hopefully everybody here realizes to take anything Ken Rockwell says with a grain of salt, but I noticed that he recently did a review of the ME Super: http://www.kenrockwell.com/pentax/me-super.htm

I popped a roll of Portra into mine about two weeks ago, but didn't end up going out to shoot that day. With the days getting longer, I'm hoping I can do some dusk photography after work.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

404notfound posted:

Hopefully everybody here realizes to take anything Ken Rockwell says with a grain of salt, but I noticed that he recently did a review of the ME Super: http://www.kenrockwell.com/pentax/me-super.htm

Broken clocks, etc.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Decided to xpost this from the pentax thread:

Should be a lot of fun to play with!

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
Since this place is so silent, I'll post my boring pics from testing out my 40mm pancake lens. Ektar 100 film.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Nice melons, but they're very magenta.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

HolyDukeNukem posted:

Decided to xpost this from the pentax thread:

Should be a lot of fun to play with!

The 43mm is supposed to be one of the best overall lenses Pentax has come out with in the last few decades. I'd love to try one, but I can't really justify such an expensive lens when I already have a 35/3.5.

Idle musing, I wonder if it's related to the P67 75/2.8 at all. Both are a semi-wide with 7 elements that came out at fairly similar times (1997 for the 43mm, 2001 for the 75/2.8).

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 14, 2014

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Some of the leds that indicate the shutter speed on my ME are dead/never light up, is it worth trying to fix ? It's annoying but it doesn't seem to prevent the camera from using the right shutter speed.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
I think the focusing mechanism in my ME Super is off somehow. Almost every picture I've scanned looks ever so slightly out of focus. Is such a thing possible or am I just bad?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Geektox posted:

I think the focusing mechanism in my ME Super is off somehow. Almost every picture I've scanned looks ever so slightly out of focus. Is such a thing possible or am I just bad?

Its the lens seated tight? I had an issue with my ME Super, where the lenses weren't seating all the way tight, and they were slightly out of focus as a result.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Has anyone sent in their ME Supers to Eric Hendrickson? Is he worth the hype the rest of the internet gives him?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Rotten Cookies posted:

Has anyone sent in their ME Supers to Eric Hendrickson? Is he worth the hype the rest of the internet gives him?

I mean, it's camera repair, not rock and roll, it either comes back fixed or not. But he fixed up a prism and installed a focus screen for me on a P67 and it came back just fine. He's the foremost repairman for Pentax stuff, and his rates are very reasonable. I don't think you'll do better anywhere else.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jul 17, 2014

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Rotten Cookies posted:

He did a great job on a CLA for my Spotmatic.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Geektox posted:

How are you scanning your pictures? Scanners have a (razor-thin) plane of focus, generally flat-on-the-platen is not *quite* in focus.

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008
I just got a 50 SMC 1.7 and unfortunately I am a bit dissapointed in the build quality. The lens seems to have a bit of play within the housing when I wiggle it side to side, and when I turn the focusing knob there seems to a scraping noise as it brushes against the housing. Furthermore the rubber collar is not secured and can freely spin. Do I have a lemon? Hopefully it still takes good pictures..

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

lollybo posted:

I just got a 50 SMC 1.7 and unfortunately I am a bit dissapointed in the build quality. The lens seems to have a bit of play within the housing when I wiggle it side to side, and when I turn the focusing knob there seems to a scraping noise as it brushes against the housing. Furthermore the rubber collar is not secured and can freely spin. Do I have a lemon? Hopefully it still takes good pictures..

Yeah it sounds like yours is pretty beat up, the grease is dried up or there's some grit in the focusing helicoid, something is loose in the housing, and the grip ring is loose.

If you don't take the optical groups apart you can probably do an OK job cleaning it yourself. Use a spanner wrench or a grip pad on the front ring where the name is printed and the front group should screw right out (lefty-loosey), it may even do it by hand if that's what's loose and wiggling. There may be one or two more screws but you should be pretty much back to the helicoid at that point, turn the lens like you're focusing and it should screw off and you can clean it up and put a drop of some kind of non-migrating aluminum-compatible grease on there (cheapass option, lithium grease will probably be OK).

Probably not worth sending it out to be cleaned, they go for about $50 in good condition. It still probably does a decent job at focusing light, particularly if you can get that wobble tightened down.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Or just upgrade to the 50/1.4 :radcat:

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008
So I tried to return the bonked 1.7, the guy didn't even want it and issued me a full refund. Hmm, to shoot with a wobbly 1.7 or not, that is the question.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

lollybo posted:

So I tried to return the bonked 1.7, the guy didn't even want it and issued me a full refund. Hmm, to shoot with a wobbly 1.7 or not, that is the question.

At the risk of speaking too frankly, that's a free lens you dipshit.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
Haha yeah test it out, if it still focuses accurately then awesome, free lens. I got the same lens recently and was really impressed with the build quality, the focus ring is really smooth and the construction feels very solid so you definitely got a bad version.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
My copy of the lens has been a bit wobbly since I dropped the camera on the street at New Year. Still fine otherwise and the focus is accurate.

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008
I slapped the wobbly 1.7 on my K1000, and I bought a new one from KEH for my ME super. Hopefully the BGN condition one won't be wobbly.

Does anyone know a good way to make the ME super more comfortable with a strap? I don't want to drop my camera but the strap gets in the way of my hands because it is already a small camera. It feels just right with no strap, my hands can wrap around it perfectly.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

lollybo posted:

Does anyone know a good way to make the ME super more comfortable with a strap? I don't want to drop my camera but the strap gets in the way of my hands because it is already a small camera. It feels just right with no strap, my hands can wrap around it perfectly.

The small form factor of the camera should allow you to just put your hands around the camera and the ends of the strap without discomfort. You could also go under the straps. If you really want something that keeps the straps from touching your hands then I would look into one point slings.

I go strapless with my Pentax ME and it has never felt cumbersome.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Pros use the belt clip.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Mr. Despair posted:

Pros use the belt clip.

gently caress yeah belt clip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Mr. Despair posted:

Pros use the belt clip.

Belt-clip guy just looks so smug about it. And really what's there not to be smug about?

• Locked thread