Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which is the greatest camera of all time
Pentax MX
Pentax ME
Pentax ME Super
Together they form a trinity of perfection.
View Results

• Locked thread
Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Straps for show, clips for a pro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Anybody know what a good price might be for the Pentax-M 85mm f/2? I've taken a peek at eBay over the past few months, and prices seem to vary pretty wildly from $200 up to maybe $400 or so. It's way more than I paid for my 50/1.4, 28/3.5, 135/3.5, or 40/2.8--and I'm hoping it's for a good reason.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
From a quick glance through the reviews on PentaxForums, I'd say go for that lens if it shows up on eBay for $200-$250, pass (or wait for the seller to relist) at anything more than that. Don't forget to take shipping costs into account (even a little lens like that will cost $40 to ship from like South Africa to North America, or a similar halfway-around-the-world distance). Most of the reviews that cite costs above $300 seem to be from users living in photography-stuff-is-expensive places like New Zealand.

Look at KEH, too, if you're not in a hurry - you seem not to be - and I bet a BGN or UG copy, which will be in excellent condition compared to some random eBay auction - will show up sooner or later for a reasonable price.

Lens prices depend on lots of things, including rarity (how many 85/2 were made? Compared to how many 50/1.4 or 28/3.5?) and the lens' reputation - the 85/2 seems to have a very high reputation, which keeps the price a bit higher. Something like the 135/3.5 also has a pretty good repuation (I've got one, it's quite nice, cost me $50) but I'm guessing the 85/2 is in a different league, some combination of rarity and "some famous photog had one 20 years ago and look what he did!" combined with "85mm is the mathematically perfect focal length for portrait photography, here's my 12-page essay for proof" kinds of reasons.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

ExecuDork posted:

Look at KEH, too, if you're not in a hurry - you seem not to be - and I bet a BGN or UG copy, which will be in excellent condition compared to some random eBay auction - will show up sooner or later for a reasonable price.

There's a BGN copy of the M85/2 on KEH right now for $268.

Of course, for that kind of money you're getting real close to a Samyang 85/1.4 as well. Think carefully about what you want out of all this - is it worth paying double to get an 85/2 instead of a 100/2.8? If you want an 85, would you prefer the name-brand item or the newer, faster model with the A-style electric contacts?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
There's also an UG copy on KEH for $168.

I'm also curious regarding why you (404notfound) want that specific lens. If you're just trying to collect the entire set of SMC-M glass that's a fine reason, but the point about a new Samyang with a brighter aperture and probably better lens coating is pretty compelling (not to mention not having been bashed around for a couple of decades, or left to rot in some closet). Or, some other lens at a similar focal length and maximum aperture that can do something else that 85 can't do - like a 90/100/105mm f/2.4-2.8 macro prime at a similar budget point. The well-regarded Vivitar Series 1 90mm/2.5 macro (goes to 1:2, or 1:1 with some adaptor that people talk about but never seem to be selling), for example. Of course, that lens trades off some of the 85's strengths (size, weight, f/2) for macro ability (and A- contacts in some versions) at the cost of much greater size and weight.

So it goes. I also want a pony, if we're granting wishes here.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I do enjoy building up my Pentax-M collection, as I already have four of them, but it's also a bit for practical reasons: those lenses are drat small. It's nice having a compact 35mm kit that completely fits in my extra small Timbuk2 messenger with room to spare.

I'm tempted to go for the UG copy on KEH, but I'm a bit concerned about the UG description saying that the lens may have haze/fungus. I know KEH is pretty conservative with their labels (e.g., BGN stuff still looking pretty good and working flawlessly), but it's a bit annoying that you can't actually see pictures of the individual copy.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

404notfound posted:

I do enjoy building up my Pentax-M collection, as I already have four of them, but it's also a bit for practical reasons: those lenses are drat small. It's nice having a compact 35mm kit that completely fits in my extra small Timbuk2 messenger with room to spare.

I'm tempted to go for the UG copy on KEH, but I'm a bit concerned about the UG description saying that the lens may have haze/fungus. I know KEH is pretty conservative with their labels (e.g., BGN stuff still looking pretty good and working flawlessly), but it's a bit annoying that you can't actually see pictures of the individual copy.

dude are you high, they can't even manage a functional website, can you imagine if they had to take pictures of each individual item?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
If you call keh, they will tell you what is wrong with it. The internet is hard for them, but cs is good.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

404notfound posted:

I do enjoy building up my Pentax-M collection, as I already have four of them,

Post your SMC-M- collection itt!

Pentax SMC-M-50mm f/1.4
Pentax SMC-M-135mm f/3.5

Only 2. Clearly I have work to do. A camera bag full of M-primes sounds considerably cooler than my plan to have a full range of Vivitar Series 1 zooms.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Anyone looking to expand their collection should check the buy/sell thread tomorrow :v:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

ExecuDork posted:

Only 2. Clearly I have work to do. A camera bag full of M-primes sounds considerably cooler than my plan to have a full range of Vivitar Series 1 zooms.

I'm down to a handful of M-series primes. I still have a M135/3.5 kicking around for sure, and I think I also have a couple spare 50/1.7s and 50/2s kicking around. Possibly my 28/2.8 still, I don't remember if I ever disposed of it.

On the other hand, I'm up to a shitload of K-series primes. I think I have:

K28/3.5
3xK35/3.5
K50/1.4
K135/2.5

Other than the 28/3.5 none of them are really significantly larger than their M counterparts. I don't really care about obsessing on the marginal size decrese of the M-series when the K-series offers different/better optical designs and better build quality. Apart from maybe the M40/2.8 nothing is really compact enough to get it in your pocket, which is really the criteria that matters to me, and even then you'd be better off throwing a FA 43/1.9 on it instead.

I also scored a K-mount Samyang 35/1.4 a while back too. Plus I can stick everything on my NEX too.

Ironically enough my Pentax ME is one of my better-dressed cameras. My other nice camera system is also a Pentax (6x7). It's hard to beat SMC coating, vintage lenses from other brands are always a toss-up but Pentax are always solid. I've only ever had flare problems on my M28/2.8 and that was always a slightly derpy lens.

I'd love to snag a K28/2 but they're just too expensive these days. I own a P67 55/4, it's not worth paying 2-3x the cost of that lens for the small-format counterpart. Even worse, I rather suspect that the P67 55/4 is actually the exact same lens design, just scaled up larger - it's a Distagon design too.

One of these days I do want to snag a K30/2.8 for my collection though. They're still fairly reasonable. Maybe a K200/2.5 too.

Personally I sidestepped the whole 85mm/100mm question by buying a Nikkor 105/2.5, which is an amazing lens that goes for equal/less money than even the Pentax M 100/2.8. You can find Nikkormat FT2's (alkaline battery model) for literally $17 in BGN grade at KEH. They're ME-level cheap and they're a decent enough body. And eventually you can move up to a FM2, which is basically the counterpart to the MX. I don't believe in utter brand loyalty, I'm totally down for cherrypicking the best lenses out of each system.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Oct 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
For some reason the frame counter on my me super didn't reset when I loaded new film.
Is it going to simply keep turning once I reach the max ?
I just loaded a 36 roll and the dial is on 10

e:I opened it in the dark and the counter reset correctly :iiam:

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Nov 17, 2014

• Locked thread