Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

That gas is going to eat through those milk jugs, and probably make the gas even shittier. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Thanks for the history lesson. I always thought the truck was cool, that makes it even more cool that it's always been in the family.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Jack up the front end so the radiator cap is higher than the engine or use one of those no spill funnel things that raise the water level another 6" or so at the cap (if that's enough height)...? Or can you fill at both the rad and the "steam cap" to fill in the otherwise hard to fill areas? I know my G35 had a stupid plug in one of the water hoses on the back of the engine for this and they're notoriously hard to burp (it seemed very simple knowing that plug was there, though :v:) .

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jan 4, 2018

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

shy boy from chess club posted:

Please dont forget to do an open header video before the exhaust shop. Its in the gearhead rules somewhere near the top of the list.

With the oldest cell phone you can find, with the worst possible audio recording capability.

Take us back with that old truck to youtube 2005

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

What about even more basic stuff, like using water only with water wetter (dunno what your coolant ratio is but you live in the SW I believe and don't have to worry about freezing temps?)? Or a radiator cap that's a couple PSI higher. As long as everything passes a coolant pressure test, I'd try replacing the cap and coolant ratio if you haven't. Otherwise if the radiator fails or has a leak, put a nicer/thicker one in it and I bet you'd be all set.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

While true (only slightly, about 10 degrees F with a 50/50 mix to 223F), pressure in the system also raises the boiling point of water more significantly. It's like how pressure cookers work, pressurize the container to increase the boiling temp.

Antifreeze keeps it from freezing below 0 and lowers the freeze point much more significantly. :) The cooling capacity of a 50/50 mix is less because the specific heat (ability to absorb heat basically) of pure water is better than almost any fluid out there.

Water wetter is just something to help lube the water pump IIRC. Any maybe it does something to help against corrosion if you're running pure water. Most track cars/race cars use this combo since you aren't allowed to run coolant (slippery if dumped on track) and it cools better than ethylene glycol anyway. We're applying race car technology to your Jeep! :v:

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jul 30, 2018

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

I needed another car to work on, right?

Nice! Buddy has one and I still can't get over that it doesn't have a trunk/hatch. Pretty cars though, no question.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

My buddy has a GT and has talked swaps before. Looks difficult with the constraints to me. Any plans for the suspension? I was always dumbfounded about the transverse leaves in front and figured that would further complicate things.

Glad the engine is ok, even if you're already talking about other options. :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

DJ Commie posted:

The Nissan CD007 is surprisingly small for a strong 6 speed, and adapters are getting common. Maybe that's an option

CD009 is the latest and greatest, IIRC. I don't think it's any bigger, either.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Feel good post. Nice work.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I've had a crappy fuel pressure regulator do that with no other symptoms. Maybe you'll escape dropping the tank...? GL

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Anyone familiar with GM HMI modules, or the questionable GM J2534 tools on Amazon? Twice now the head unit in the Canyon - conveniently 4k miles past bumper to bumper coverage - has 'locked up' unresponsive to any control input. Problem is resolved upon turning it off (for long enough to force the HMI to power off) and on again. This problem seems to be fairly widespread across GM products, all of which use this setup, but not occurring frequently enough among any one model for anyone to actually conclusively identify a failure. Found one guy who insisted taking out the radio fuse and "turning it around" fixed it for good. Seems that more people report success with paying a dealer $texas to replace the HMI.

Used HMIs can be had for $150-200 on eBay, or possibly a fuckload less if I can find one in a pull-a-part. But then they'd need to be programmed to the truck.

Oh, and the evap code turned itself off on the TJ. CEL is off, the code still shows if I pull codes in Torque, but Torque also shows all readiness monitors set. loving Jeeps.

You could try seeing if the dealer/shop could do a software update on it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Expansion joints must be an AZ thing because I've never seen a garage here without them. This is the first garage I've ever had with windows anywhere but the top row of the door, though.

My Michigan place has a bit fat one running down the center of it. It's where all the dirt you attempt to sweep goes.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

That's awesome, congrats dude.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

What's the year? I can try to look up the trouble tree for that code.

E: 2016-18 there's a TSB for that code. If yours is newer though...

 1. Ignition On.
Verify no other DTCs are set

⇒ If any other DTCs are set
Refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle

⇓ If no other DTCs are set
 2. Verify DTC P1474, P1475, P1476, P1477, P1478, P1479, P147B, or P1488 is not set.
If the DTC sets
Replace the B136 Exhaust Particulate Matter Sensor.

⇓ If the DTC does not set
 3. All OK.

:lol: If there's a code, replace sensor. Otherwise, ok!

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Aug 16, 2021

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

If you need any service info, lemme know. Should be fairly straightforward as you said though.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Ouch.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Oof. If there's any service info that could be helpful, send a PM.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

I've got access to Chilton Library and it sure looks like a FSM to me, but P24A5 is pretty straightforward.

Open invite for any future stuff you might need. If nothing else it probably has more info on DTCs and conditions which they set, and associated codes that sometimes set at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I love that VW doesn't use real tpms. Great when swapping winter wheels. But yeah that's on the owner to say least mildly pay attention.

Battery stuff seems nice for early warning detection. Better to check codes and see it than end up stranded in a couple weeks I guess?