Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Another GatorBelt fan (get it?)... I've got them on my 2500HD for Serp and A/C. Quiet, strong, and not incredibly $$ from RockAuto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

General_Failure posted:

So what's so special about them? Grippier compound? You have my attention.

They use a special grippy rubber, and have a slashed pattern in the ribs that really allow the belt to conform to the pullies without distortion.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
What kind of tender? I've been using KeyLine's 750mA tender for a few years with no issues. I used to use Battery Tenders, but I didn't like the wall wart on the low end ones.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think I might have to set this as a good target / reason to get my truck fully roadworthy and highway safe. Which means new tires on top of everything else, and I think I might finally bite the bullet on the 5-lug swap to do so.

I concur. They'll appreciate that vehicle.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Smart man. Those tires and wheels are going to look awesome. 20's on those trucks are the max that looks acceptable, imho.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Maybe a little spacer action will address the rubbing?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Congrats! How'd she drive?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

IOwnCalculus posted:

Taking a midday break on the Jeep. So far I've replaced both front lower control arms, and removed the passenger upper control arm. Lowers looked serviceable, but both bushings in the upper arm I pulled off were absolutely trashed. Likewise, the cheap Fat Bob's Garage shocks I pulled off were completely hosed.

Going to grab a ball joint press to swap bushings once it cools down again tonight. The axle side bushing was so trashed that the inner sleeve fell out as soon as the arm was free.

Better then the old Honda trick of seizing the inner bushing to the bolt, requiring the shock tab to be torched off and the rubber melted out. Bleh, rust.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Lock washers are basically useless. Get some Nordlocks or thread locking compound instead.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Nord locks actually work. Was the only thing that stopped the CV bolts from backing out on my bus.

I spec them to keep $150,000 camera bolts from backing out. They don't loosen.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

8ender posted:

My pickle fork looks like a looney tunes exploded cigar on the pounding end but that's mostly because once I'm in a job I'm too loving stubborn to go out and get a better tool to finish it.

Grind that mushroom off. I got nailed just above the safety glasses by a piece from a pickle fork years ago. Ditto with chisels.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Should be easy enough. You don't have rust to deal with in AZ. Up here, you can expect to have the lower bolt seized into the lower shock mount. Torch gets them out, but it's a smelly mess.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Try running a needle gun inside a steel tank.

Sucks about the rust, but at least you found it before things fell off!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

opengl128 posted:

Why are 4x4 wheels always so tacky.

Try finding anything for an 8-lug truck that isn't the worst thing you've ever seen. Good god, there is ZERO for options other than OEM.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

8ender posted:

Have you heard the good word of our lord and saviour, the Soft 8?

Not available in 8x180, and over 17", according to Cragar's website.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I'll tell you that if they aren't DOT/E-Code approved, they're blinding the gently caress out of everyone. In my neck of the woods, LEDs on Jeeps are pretty common, and I've yet to see one that wasn't horrible to drive at from the front. Not as bad as the lightbar-on-the-roof-and-grille-and-bumper-and-mirrors-and-everyfuckingwhere crowd, but still bad. I think everyone has just given up on flashing people.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Wow, then maybe they aren't bad. DOT requirements are pretty strict.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
LOL, Jeep frame welds not well-done, color me shocked.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
:lol: that'd do it.

Time to draw your own on the cowl in paint pen.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Those lock tumblers are done. I had to rearrange then in one of my old rabbits to match a key.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

NitroSpazzz posted:

We've done that a few times with various winches or even a tow strap. Make sure the trailer is chocked and BOTH ends of the trailer are supported so you don't get it slamming down at any point. Take it slow and have a second person serve as spotter.

This, a thousand times. And chock the wheels from both sides. I prefer to have a person in the vehicle being moved, assuming the brakes or e-brake at least work.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Awesome to see it running, even if that means leaking, smoking, and sparking.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Epoxy the garage floor. Please.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I'm jealous then. Anything is better than bare concrete, so long as they prepped decently. Sweet new place.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
You gonna put in solar?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

IOwnCalculus posted:

Maaaaaybe. I went with a Solarcity/Tesla lease on the old house and at best it was a wash financially. This time around I can afford to do an owned / traditional financed system instead of a lease, but the net metering deal that SRP is doing for new solar installs is atrocious.

gently caress SolarCity. Have a good installer do the work and buy your own panels. We've got Enphase with LG panels, and it's been great. That said, there's no "Net Metering deal" here, it's straight usage-production. I make an excess during the spring/summer and burn it during the winter with my Mini Split system. It sucks that the utilities are assholes about this stuff in lots of places. And yeah, batteries would be great. It doesn't make sense up here, but it could be great down there. Plus, like Advent said, Solar shadeport for the horses!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

meatpimp posted:

Use this as an example of how the chip shortage hits automakers... at least 4 chips on that one module that barely has a function.

Very nice. Dad had a BX as a smaller tractor and it ended up seeing more use than the bigger Deere. The BX is easy to use, maneuver, and work on. Good choice.

Now get that paint of the lip of your bucket. :D

I count 5, plus another 4 SOT-23s. Half the drat chip shortage is for little jellybean parts like SOT 23 voltage regulators and diodes. Kinda like the ceramic cap shortage years ago.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Plus the cost savings from Arizona summers should be a nice bonus.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
My Duramax is like that. Drivers side headlight is 5 minutes. Passengers? 30 minutes, because the intake and air filter box have to come out.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Send it!

don't send it

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Salami Surgeon posted:

It's probably nothing insidious and something really dumb like it's easier to kanban pulley assemblies with bolts installed rather than the bolts themselves, because at some point some rear end in a top hat will dump a box of long bolts into a box of short bolts and now you have a rash of cracked timing covers and broken tensioners.

Bingo. Everything is build and inventory driven, not repair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

I invited you to a Facebook group that will almost certainly know what connector it is. (Automotive Connector Identification, for anyone else who has these problems all the time.)

A) I'm not surprised that this is a Facebook Group that exists.
B) I'm doubly not surprised that you are a member.

:kiss: