Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

IOwnCalculus posted:

I ended up getting the lower joint cocked a bit initially, so I needed some air help to get it in all the way. Thanks again, JnnyThndrs!

I got me one of them JnnyThndrs guns, too. Replaced my HF Earthquake and... wow, what a difference a "real" gun makes! If you run into any problems with it, it breaks down into 3 pieces in about a minute and most moving/wear parts are available in a $35 IR Tune-up kit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

What SEER did you go with? I know you're in a completely different climate, but I'm watching to see what people do with current AC units. I'm nursing a 21 year old Trane with a SEER of 8 or so. But the new variable-everything displacement high-SEER units scare me in terms of reliability. The old units were dumb and just chooch along forever... I am suspect that the new ones will do the same.

Am I just being an AC Luddite?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

IOwnCalculus posted:

My old unit was a Lennox 12HPB42, which seems to have been a 12 SEER. I threw a fan / contactor / capacitor at the outside unit last August when the fan stopped working and caused the compressor to thermally overload, but other than that it was doing its job fine. Right up until the outside coil popped a leak I had no real reason to rush into a replacement. The tech that did the temporary work thinks the stuck TXV on the inside unit might have been the straw that broke the camel's back.

"Everyone" says 10 years is a good lifespan from system here, but this one was ~21 years old. My mom had two ~30 year old systems that were still working when she finally replaced them (one first, then the other a year later).

New outside unit is a Goodman GSZC18, 18 SEER. I'm not sure what the details are on exactly "how" it operates between the two stages but it sure seems like it just varies the indoor fan / outdoor fan / compressor motor speeds to do so. Today is going to be the first full day of usage with the new system and I can get hourly usage from my utility company, I just need to go back and find a few days with similar high temperatures to compare against.

edit: Doing some more research it seems like these units have been around on the market for quite a while now, at least 5-7 years. So I'm not too worried about this being some bleeding edge untested gear.

I've seen Goodman around. Are HVAC companies like most other manufacturing areas where there are the name brand big dogs that also put out product under different labels?

:lol: cleaning up the wiring of others is always an adventure.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Is this a 1-year-only configuration or something? I assumed all Jeep stuff is well known and documented, weird that you've got to trail blaze!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

IOwnCalculus posted:

I have a new garage to fill up with stuff!

Which is attached to a house that needs to be nearly completely repainted inside, and then I have to actually loving move. I'm going to be busy for a bit.

Cabinets/workbench already, nice! That poor floor is so nice and clean right now.

I don't know the scope of your painting, but I just painted my basement and using a sprayer for the trim and doors left a much more professional finish than brushing. Walls I still did the old fashioned way... roller for main part / angled sash brush to freehand trim.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

IOwnCalculus posted:

It actually already is, though looking at some of the leftover bits in the cabinets I think it's a Rust-oleum DIY coating kit. They didn't go overboard on the plastic chips so it doesn't actually look coated in any angle wide enough to show most of the garage.

It's all just walls for color change purposes, the previous owners were big fans of brown and dark tan. We're also ripping out what little carpet is left and putting in more tile.

If the rest of the house is anything like the garage, you'll probably be good with just paint. The condition of the garage is excellent and very few houses have attention to detail that extends to baseboards in the garage.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Suburban Dad posted:

My Michigan place has a bit fat one running down the center of it. It's where all the dirt you attempt to sweep goes.

I've got some huge ones in my garage, too. I just tried this stuff and it's amazing:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sikafle...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Self-leveling, firm-but-not-hard when it cures. Clean the joint and put this stuff in. Just don't get it on your hands, it's wicked.

So nice to be able to clean a garage without planning on how to keep the crap out of the joints.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

That looks amazing. Is it large enough that you can call it a compound? It's my goal to have a compound.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

IOwnCalculus posted:

Or cosplaying as a tractor.

:wow:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

IOwnCalculus posted:

Photo of the inside of the sensor module for shits and grins - the lack of any electronic sharts tells me the fault was probably just in the sensor itself. Strangely while it is a pinned and clipped connection, it's set up such that there's no way to non-destructively unclip it. Otherwise there'd be no reason you couldn't replace just the sensor or the module instead of both.

Use this as an example of how the chip shortage hits automakers... at least 4 chips on that one module that barely has a function.

quote:

I've also bought a new toy tool ride?:

Kubota BX2301-1, with front-end loader, industrial tires, and a BB1248 box scraper. I also have a quick-hitch and arena grader on the way but no ETA. The only thing I didn't get with it was a skid steer quick attach bucket, but a) the delivery estimate for that was "maybe early 2022?" and b) I just don't see needing anything other than a bucket out front. I might pick up some clamp-on pallet forks.

Very nice. Dad had a BX as a smaller tractor and it ended up seeing more use than the bigger Deere. The BX is easy to use, maneuver, and work on. Good choice.

Now get that paint of the lip of your bucket. :D

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Those quick disconnect fuel lines are always anxiety-inducing. If not a bad connection, they break during assembly/disassembly.

But you're functional now, I'd leave it and roll the dice.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

IOwnCalculus posted:

And the root cause of the whole shebang - oil starvation from a nearly completely plugged pickup.

At least you don't have to question if you found the right failure mode.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

IOwnCalculus posted:

Discovered that there's an adjustment in the bar that runs from the roll cage to the windshield frame and maxed it out, which was maybe another 1/8" longer than the bar already was. Now it actually closes.

Even though soft top Jeeps are virtulaly unsealed, I bet that makes a difference with wind noise.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Looks like carbon on the muffler seam. A failure like that can only mean one thing -- the universe wants you to replace the exhaust.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Somebody was laughing when they packed it like that.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

It's not a mechanical repair, it's a maintenance opportunity.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's the same loving pulley with a longer bolt, with the same thread. Unthread the bolt that comes with it and thread in the bolt from your old pulley and save $40. Jesus loving christ GM, why the gently caress is this an issue.

It's not an issue, it's intended. The overwhelming majority of the people will just pay for the part, not questioning the value, or lack thereof. There's some kind of lingering trust of companies that people still rely on, without realizing that capitalism and corporations have weaponized against us.

Just a little bit of work and you saved on a tremendously overpriced part. It's a win.

I did the same thing last week with the ignition coil for my generator. Uses a Subau EX30 motor that has an uncommon coil configuration. Buy it from the dealer all day for $70. Buy it online all day for $50. Start crossing numbers and looking at images on google and found one that matched, and was in crazy Jeff's warehouse for $19.

Any money you keep out of the hands of apex predator corporations is earned.

Edit: heh. It's a Husky generator, so I just check on HD's site to see what they would charge. :wtf:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/STENS-Ignition-Coil-for-Subaru-EX27-and-EX30-279-79430-01-279-79430-11-Mowers-058-113/314232577

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy