Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
You may have a slightly leaky injector. Keep an eye on it. My EA Falcon I was pretty convinced had one. Sometimes I couldn't start it because the starter would just start cranking the engine then it'd stop dead. Usually when that happened I'd just take the other car. There was never any sign of water in anything so I didn't think it was coolant. The oil did kind of stink though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

There's never been any significant fuel contamination in the oil, though, and given that it's a direct injection engine I would think a leaking injector would be spraying pretty much constantly.

Oh, I missed the direct injection bit. How hard is the suspect plug to remove? If it's not a 12/10 for difficulty it might pay to check on that plug again another day when cold just to be sure. It's best to catch a problem like that in its infancy. And as I said if it's not a huge pain to pull that plug it's like a 30 second job for peace of mind.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's really not bad - no 30 second job since it's under the intercooler, but it's easy to remove (two bolts for the cover, three holding it down, inlet/outlet hoseclamps, and two clamps on the bypass valve) and then it's as clear of access as you'll get on anything.

Still more difficult than it should be to get to plugs but that's not too bad I guess. Seems slightly easier than the left bank on the Fairlane. That's where the conversion people put all the LPG gear so I have to dismantle that to get to the plugs. Some bolts and hose clamps in essence but accessibility for some of it is a bit hard. I'm not overly fond of removing the vaporiser though and try to avoid that. Everything after it is negative pressure so it's no biggie as long as I don't mess up where the hoses go. Because the engine bay has a V8 but was designed around an i6 it's a bit tight around the shock towers.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
So what's so special about them? Grippier compound? You have my attention.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

I actually remembered after all of the posting in here that I ended up with a Gatorback on my LS1, even. The belt in the Trailblazer actually has those same serrated teeth on the grooved side, but it's so worn that it's devoid of any marking on the smooth side.

It didn't take long at all for the belt on the Fairlane to lose the markings on the smooth side. it's kind of why I asked. They started to wear off after a few days. I put a picture of the old belt in the mechanical failures thread a while back. I touched the middle of the smooth side with my finger and the belt split down the middle.
More grip would be great. The tensioner although its pulley is worn to poo poo and not even properly aligned anymore still keeps good tension so I guess the Gates serp belts just don't have the traction to cope properly with the accessories.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Fo3 posted:

All I know is some German auto did/do it and Australian Ford and Holden do it as well. It might be the light touch thing, as I know all my old cable lever cars get tight and heavy after a while, (if they ever were light in the first place), and there's no way to make a digital control, push button, or a dial like for climate control use a cable lever.
So I guess that's what they are/were all aiming towards for some top line models (as a luxury feature), and then used the vacuum system for lower and simpler model designs as they had it ready to go.

But... I've had a couple of Fords with climate control and all their poo poo works off a vacuum operated nightmare. No human interface to vacuum valve anywhere. I can tell you that those climate control computers are finicky assholes.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

I figured out where the (primary) vacuum leak is, but I haven't had time to fix it. More obnoxiously, after ~150 miles, the thing started puking coolant everywhere last night. :smithicide:

Sprayed out so much / so fast that most of the engine bay was soaked by the time I got home, so I have no idea what is leaking yet.

Do you think it was a result of the lean running from vacuum leaks causing some excess heat or some cooling system part decided to up and fail?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

Trying to decide what pump to use, so if anyone has any suggestions from Harbor Freight in terms of moving somewhere between 5 and 20 gallons of gasoline, I'm all ears.

Is there any reason you can't siphon? What are you putting the fuel in to?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Those squeezy bulb siphon things work okay enough if you can get the suck end into something or jam another hose on it. I've used mine for pulling bad fuel out of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
That is really, really nice.

How's the water pump?