Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Nah, I'd have called the cops and filed a lawsuit as well. That's incredibly hosed up, and quite possibly a felony depending on where Perdido is (I think Canada).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Well, now I know that I need to politely decline if someone asks me to piss in a bus bin, once I get a barback job.

"Sorry man, just went. Good luck getting all that pee you need."

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Holy poo poo that's brutal. I'm all down for ~*HiJiNkS*~ but that's pretty intense, and crosses the line pretty badly. There's better ways to gently caress with people, and I guess like has already been said, it's lucky there were no charges pressed. I can't believe she didn't question why there was a bus bin full of piss just hanging around in the booth above her to be accidentally thrown over her bar.

Anyway, Vegie Mal, that sounds like a badass night. I love those flat out, balls to the wall shitshow sprints. Like you've just been shot off the ground at Cape Carnaveral, pulling 3 G's with a rocket strapped to your rear end and you're on the verge of blacking out but you just grit your teeth and hold on and keep holding on and c'maaaaahhhhhhn almost there almost there one hour to go c'maaahhhhn, and then just... bam. The sweet sweet serenity of zero gravity as you break through the atmosphere by running out of booze/hitting the time limit and you just sit there, floating.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
I'm quite embarrassed. After 8 months at my current place I had my first tantrum. I could have avoided it if after the trigger I hadn't been asked by a manager "what's up, hot and tired with the weather?"

At that point I kinda had to tell him what was up, and now I think my new gm thinks I hate her and the managers seem to be on egg shells. I need to apologise somewhat on Monday. That said, I got my Friday night bar shift for the first time in ages and a promise that in future I can have more if I want. Which is only right, because the deputy gm knew me for a month as a bartender elsewhere before I had even tried being on the floor and thought I'd chose to make the shift. He even tried to poach me as a permanent employee when I was there even though id been hired to cover for him then open a new place. He then joined me here later.

The trigger was I spent the lunch shift as "collecting glasses" on the briefing sheet. I managed to get a small outside area that's usually no service as a concession as long as I took care of glasses too, but that was it.

Evening shift I spot on the rota that I'm again glasses. This annoys me, but then it goes from annoying to making me want to walk out. I would t have, I would have done it then complained formally on Monday, but I felt like it up until I was asked "just hot and bothered?"

I was told I was barbacking.

I've made it clear now, I'll do that once a month. On a quiet shift. But I've missed two promotions already because I'm floor not bar, and I'm floor not bar because I'm "needed more on the floor" because it's our weak area.

When we started I had done no floor before. I was our strongest barman. But also our 2nd or 3rd strongest floor person. And miles ahead of those behind me even after 2 weeks training. Now ive won a bonus and a pub-wide staff party with a 100% mystery diner, something given to around 4% of businesses checked.

But what have I done since? Kitchen porter for the day due to short staff there. Because I wouldn't moan at doing the job. Food runner multiple times because half the staff are too scared of the head chef to communicate with him and run the pass. Floater. Glass collector. Quietest section multiple times.

So I had a moan and got moved on the bar. Where id bet I had the most revenue per hour.

And I've now made it clear that I was told I was on the floor because I was needed there, and if that's not true theyve wasted 8 months of my life doing a job that wasn't what I was hired to do, missing promotions throughout because of the switch I was pushed into to better round out the team.

But the deputy gm told me on the way home that the gm was upset that she might have misused me. This is her first week and im still head offices golden boy for my result. But I like her and think she's going to be a good manager. I'm more annoyed at the managers we've had since day 1 who have happily used me wherever there's a gap despite me being one of their biggest assets because they didnt think id moan.

So yeah. Bit of a rant but we all need one after a stressful Friday. And I don't know if I should be embarrassed and apologise on Monday or go in bullish and shamelessly and try to force my position.

One thing I know though is that if I'm on the pass or collecting glasses, I'll be asking for a meeting with the gm and deputy gm where I might be cornered by my own pride now this is out of the bag into making ultimatums I don't want to keep.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
If they don't put you where you want to be after six months they're absolutely not going to. They've decided actively not to promote you for some reason or another (looks? being male?).

If you have some money saved up at the meeting I would ask "What am I going to be doing differently here in the next month that shows I'm going to move to the bar?" If they say "oh we need you on the floor" explain that you appreciate it can be hard to run a place, but they need to find someone else to do that, you want to be at the bar now.

You've more than paid your dues. Don't be surprised if they just let you go when you tell them this. If you don't have the money saved to take a risk like that it's time to just look for another job and quit when you find it. This is the most likely outcome in my mind, as they've done everything short of hanging a neon sign up in there that says "you're not going to bartend here."

To be perfectly clear, I think you're really misreading the situation. They don't value you or consider you an asset. They see you as someone who is good for low level fill in poo poo work. The words they use are just to keep you around.

Words are free.

raton fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 18, 2012

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Sheep-Goats posted:

If they don't put you where you want to be after six months they're absolutely not going to. They've decided actively not to promote you for some reason or another (looks? being male?).

If you have some money saved up at the meeting I would ask "What am I going to be doing differently here in the next month that shows I'm going to move to the bar?" If they say "oh we need you on the floor" explain that you appreciate it can be hard to run a place, but they need to find someone else to do that, you want to be at the bar now.

You've more than paid your dues. Don't be surprised if they just let you go when you tell them this. If you don't have the money saved to take a risk like that it's time to just look for another job and quit when you find it. This is the most likely outcome in my mind, as they've done everything short of hanging a neon sign up in there that says "you're not going to bartend here."

To be perfectly clear, I think you're really misreading the situation. They don't value you or consider you an asset. They see you as someone who is good for low level fill in poo poo work. The words they use are just to keep you around.

Words are free.

The official line is that it was due to poor communication. I'm going to see how the next few weeks pan out before making any decisions. And if I'm not convinced they aren't taking me for a ride I'll look for a transfer to the pub I was at before.

We have a new gm who started this week anyway, so as long as shes willing to use me properly it's fine.

I'm in the uk so wages are the main factor and I'm paid above minimum already even if doing crap work, so it's more the principle than wanting those bar shifts for the money. If I'm on the floor with a big party on a busy night I'm happy. Or have a section in the day. I actually prefer the floor when we're quieter and the bar when in the reeds.

I was asked if I'd be happy doing one shift a month at most doing crap work and I said sure. I think I was just the hard worker who didn't complain so easiest to give the crap work to even though I should be #1.

As for the promotion, the person on the floor that was half promoted before me was better at the time. And the difference between me and the new supervisor was literally that he was poo poo on the floor so after a few weeks got all bar shifts while i was given more and more floor until it was all floor. Then a bar manager left leaving us with 3 floor based managers and 2 bar based managers, so I can believe its literally because he's bar and I'm floor that I missed out. I was (and will be if it's not fixed) just annoyed that I'm floor because I'm their best floor person, but I wasn't being used effectively.

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

Girl and I arguing about how much alcohol was in her drink.

"Well, I use to bartender in <nearby city> and this isn't enough. Now, I don't know where you went to bartending school, but I was taught.."

:cripes:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Dirnok posted:

"Well, I use to bartender in <nearby city> and this isn't enough. Now, I don't know where you went to bartending school, but I was taught.."

Harvard. :colbert:

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

nrr posted:

Holy poo poo that's brutal. I'm all down for ~*HiJiNkS*~ but that's pretty intense, and crosses the line pretty badly. There's better ways to gently caress with people, and I guess like has already been said, it's lucky there were no charges pressed. I can't believe she didn't question why there was a bus bin full of piss just hanging around in the booth above her to be accidentally thrown over her bar.

Yeah, it was terrible and the place that happened at has a long history of 'rowdy' behaviour and has since closed its doors, partly due to a poo poo ton of infractions with the Gaming Commission.

To be perfectly clear, I was brand new to the industry, was told to piss into a bus bin by one of my bosses, with absolutely zero idea as to what the gently caress was going on (I thought it was just some weird dumb hazing poo poo or something...a lot of the male staff were former hockey players and, well, Canadians are loving weird when it comes to hockey.)

At the time, I legit thought that it was an actual argument and the girl actually did get accidentally soaked. I found out much later that wasn't the case.

There's been some other serious poo poo that's happened in my time, too. I should talk to my friend who worked there a lot longer than I had, I'm sure he has a bunch of stories that would make that one pale in comparison.

EDIT: I actually know two people who were there, if there's interest in hearing horror story poo poo, I'll see if they're interested in sharing.

----

On a completely unrelated note, does anyone here have experience working in clubs that offer greasing? Either officially or unofficially? How did that work for you?

Perdido fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Aug 18, 2012

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

The word "oval office" is important here.

I use this word far more than most people. Someone gets in my way behind the bar "Move, you oval office!" Girls' bathroom is an utter mess at the end of the night "These messy loving cunts.." Girl orders two drinks, I make them, and then she adds on 8 more "This loving oval office.."

But the best use of the word, as I used it tonight in regards to this situation..

"Listen, you oval office.."

Perdido posted:

On a completely unrelated note, does anyone here have experience working in clubs that offer greasing? Either officially or unofficially? How did that work for you?

Greasing as in door guys taking bribes to get people in? If so, while I have no experience with it at my place, I know door guys in my midwest town that make as much as I do doing it at their "clubs".

Dirnok fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Aug 18, 2012

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Dirnok posted:

Haha. My bar manager hates that poo poo with a passion and considers it a huge insult. He hardly ever goes off on people except when that happens.

When people tell me the drink is weak I just say "Oh so you want a double why didn't you just say so? We don't just give away alcohol for free." Or I make a comment about only a lush would complain because we do generous pours.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Arg. $0 in tips last night. I only served about 25 drinks and I make a really good hourly so I shouldn't complain. Still, I hate getting absolutely nothing in tips.

Edit: whoops, yeah, I don't want to start a tipping discussion or something. I was just venting.

odiv fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 18, 2012

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

odiv posted:

Arg. $0 in tips last night. I only served about 25 drinks and I make a really good hourly so I shouldn't complain. Still, I hate getting absolutely nothing in tips.

I was once tipped $5 total in one night by a bunch of brits who tipped a quarter a drink.

Weighing down my drat pockets! :argh:

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Rotten Cookies posted:

I was once tipped $5 total in one night by a bunch of brits who tipped a quarter a drink.

haha what? A quarter a drink? The gently caress is that?

The minimum I tip is $1 a drink. If the person serving me is cool or I like how they make my drinks, I'll tip more per drink in appreciation. I can't imagine how 'hey lets give them 1 quarter per drink' seems like a good idea.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Bash Ironfist posted:

haha what? A quarter a drink? The gently caress is that?

The minimum I tip is $1 a drink. If the person serving me is cool or I like how they make my drinks, I'll tip more per drink in appreciation. I can't imagine how 'hey lets give them 1 quarter per drink' seems like a good idea.

I'd be willing to bet that whatever they were drinking cost $X.75, and they just told him to keep the change each time.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
E: tipping discussion, asked and answered. Just loving tip unless you hated your service or want to be ignored. That's the way it is. If you don't like the system, drink at home.

Ally McBeal Wiki fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Aug 18, 2012

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Yeah Perdido, as much as that one was loving rough, I don't think we'd be able to hold our heads high if any of us said we didn't want to hear more horror stories.

You're in Van, right? I'm trying to connect the dots to work out a place thats closed now that had a DJ booth in piss filled bus bin throwing range of a bar. Buffalo club? The Bourbon?

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

nrr posted:

Yeah Perdido, as much as that one was loving rough, I don't think we'd be able to hold our heads high if any of us said we didn't want to hear more horror stories.

You're in Van, right? I'm trying to connect the dots to work out a place thats closed now that had a DJ booth in piss filled bus bin throwing range of a bar. Buffalo club? The Bourbon?

Nope, I'm not in Vancouver. Calgary and Toronto, with a short stint in Edmonton.

I'll ask my buddies tonight if they have any stories they want to share.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

Made the most I've ever made in one night tonight! It was a blur of 7 hours (Party lasted 4 hours, though) and I walked away with $500 (not counting my $10.50 hourly), got to see some woman walk into the bathroom, come out obviously having done coke. Later, thanks to security, I got to see her taken away screaming. Other guests (her friends) told me that was "just like her."

Also the first night I ever got broken glass into my ice well. Somebody asked for some ice in their pinot, and the ice broke the wine glass. Mother. Fucker. So the whole night I was working out of bus bins for ice. It was also the first night I really got into the zone. Sometimes it felt like I was reaching for 3 things at once. I remembered everyone's drinks. It sometimes seemed like I had the drinks ready before they asked for them (I didn't. I just surprised myself with how fast I worked.)

For the first time tonight I got snippy with a guest. This bitch kept yelling at me "HEY. HEY! Can I get CAN I GET TWO VODKA SODA WATERS?!" I knew what she was drinking. I was serving people who were before her. But she just HAAAD to try and get her order in. Repeatedly I would tell her "I'll get to that as soon as I'm done serving these gentlemen here." But that just prompted her to yell louder "HEY! I SAID TWO VODKA SODA WATERS!" So I just snapped a little and said "HEY! if you want your drink you have to wait like everybody else. HEY is not a way to skip the line." And when I did get to her I'd say "HEY. HEEYY! WHAT DO YOU WANT?!" I know it probably sounds like nothing to you guys, but I'm especially calm when serving somebody, and this was actually way out of character for me. Normally I'd just smile and carry on.

Lots of firsts for me I guess. Y'all are probably reading this and saying to yourselves "pfffft. puss." But leave me alone. I'm new to bartending, only like 1½ months in.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Rotten Cookies posted:

Made the most I've ever made in one night tonight! It was a blur of 7 hours (Party lasted 4 hours, though) and I walked away with $500 (not counting my $10.50 hourly), got to see some woman walk into the bathroom, come out obviously having done coke. Later, thanks to security, I got to see her taken away screaming. Other guests (her friends) told me that was "just like her."

I love those big money nights. I want to get my tip-out in $1 and roll around on them until they form a protective belly armor.

Don't worry about getting 'snippy.' At least once during every busy shift, I'll lace into somebody for being an rear end in a top hat.

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

Rotten Cookies posted:

Also the first night I ever got broken glass into my ice well. Somebody asked for some ice in their pinot, and the ice broke the wine glass. Mother. Fucker. So the whole night I was working out of bus bins for ice. It was also the first night I really got into the zone. Sometimes it felt like I was reaching for 3 things at once. I remembered everyone's drinks. It sometimes seemed like I had the drinks ready before they asked for them (I didn't. I just surprised myself with how fast I worked.)

For the first time tonight I got snippy with a guest. This bitch kept yelling at me "HEY. HEY! Can I get CAN I GET TWO VODKA SODA WATERS?!" I knew what she was drinking. I was serving people who were before her. But she just HAAAD to try and get her order in. Repeatedly I would tell her "I'll get to that as soon as I'm done serving these gentlemen here." But that just prompted her to yell louder "HEY! I SAID TWO VODKA SODA WATERS!" So I just snapped a little and said "HEY! if you want your drink you have to wait like everybody else. HEY is not a way to skip the line." And when I did get to her I'd say "HEY. HEEYY! WHAT DO YOU WANT?!" I know it probably sounds like nothing to you guys, but I'm especially calm when serving somebody, and this was actually way out of character for me. Normally I'd just smile and carry on.

Lots of firsts for me I guess. Y'all are probably reading this and saying to yourselves "pfffft. puss." But leave me alone. I'm new to bartending, only like 1½ months in.

Awwww... :allears:

No, we're not reading that thinking you're a puss. We all remember that first zen moment where you've finally crossed the line and are now handling poo poo like a real loving bartender. It's awesome and I absolutely love seeing it in a rookie and hearing that same excited description of the night while we're counting tips.

Welcome to it. It only gets better from here.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

Rotten Cookies posted:

Beauty of a thing, isn't it? I and the thread and all certainly wish you many, many more like this. They can be hard to come by but they can keep you always coming back for more. Hell, I'm jealous. Haven't had one of those in a while, seem to come maybe once per quarter for me. Anyone else?

Dirnok posted:

Welcome to it. It only gets better from here.

"Better" is relative, but it certainly gets more storied.

Like tonight, when I earned a whopping 15% for all the poo poo I put up with including the following:

- Spent a half an hour duct taping a sewage (sink drain) pipe, then re-taping it when it would eventually leak again, oozing its poo poo-stink fetid slurry through the goo of the tape. (I got it stopped. Yay me... Pyrrhic loving victory, it's gonna be a serious (several $k) repair/replace.)

- Warned other staff about a dude whose name I recognized on a tab as the same from high school as a known psycho. Big dude, former football player in HS. This guy got so amped up before a football game against a rival school that he slammed his own head through a window of our team's bus on their way to the game. Didn't know him at all personally, simply by bad reputation alone. Rings up a huge tab, tips 7.5%, threatens to beat my rear end, my door guy's rear end, the asses of everyone standing in front of the bar, refuses (then agrees) to pay his tab, and just acts like a shitkicker. gently caress that. Waste of time babysitting his stupid drunk rear end.

- Spent an extra 1.5 hours after close with our door guy reviewing camera footage of the night to find exactly at what point a microphone was stolen from our karaoke section. gently caress. That. Noise.

Instead of bartending I spent most of my night...well, bartending, I guess. gently caress, sometimes it sucks.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Any table over six gets a grat. Any bar tab over 100 gets the same. IMO.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Rotten Cookies posted:

I used to get tipped 75 cents pretty much exclusively because I was working a half-service bar that did bottled beers costing $2.25.

Then they upped the price to $2.75 :negative:

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Masonity posted:

The official line is that it was due to poor communication. I'm going to see how the next few weeks pan out before making any decisions. And if I'm not convinced they aren't taking me for a ride I'll look for a transfer to the pub I was at before.

We have a new gm who started this week anyway, so as long as shes willing to use me properly it's fine.

I'm in the uk so wages are the main factor and I'm paid above minimum already even if doing crap work, so it's more the principle than wanting those bar shifts for the money. If I'm on the floor with a big party on a busy night I'm happy. Or have a section in the day. I actually prefer the floor when we're quieter and the bar when in the reeds.

I was asked if I'd be happy doing one shift a month at most doing crap work and I said sure. I think I was just the hard worker who didn't complain so easiest to give the crap work to even though I should be #1.

As for the promotion, the person on the floor that was half promoted before me was better at the time. And the difference between me and the new supervisor was literally that he was poo poo on the floor so after a few weeks got all bar shifts while i was given more and more floor until it was all floor. Then a bar manager left leaving us with 3 floor based managers and 2 bar based managers, so I can believe its literally because he's bar and I'm floor that I missed out. I was (and will be if it's not fixed) just annoyed that I'm floor because I'm their best floor person, but I wasn't being used effectively.

So basically, you're pissed because you believe you're "above" certain tasks. Reality check: it's a service industry job. Everyone gets stuck doing bitch work, and unless you're taking a pay cut to work those shifts, whining about it makes you sound like a primadonna. Nut up and deal with it.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Woooo tonight was rough.

My other bartender may get fired tomorrow. I really hope she doesn't because she's the only person I look forward to working with but it's a possibility.

We were loving slammed and it's just me and her. In a normal bar, that wouldn't be a big deal but people at my restaurant expect a higher level of service that we were unable to give because it was so busy. For whatever reason, none of the guests included me in their complaints but 4 different guests complained about her not taking care of them tonight. It was ridiculous, we were both running around working as fast as we could and I'm not sure why I wasn't included in their complaints.

She also somehow lost a guest's credit card. We don't really keep them to run tabs because we're a restaurant and we're not usually busy enough to warrant it but this guy gave it to her, she sat it on top of the till like we always do and it was there all night. Up until it came time to give it back to him, where it mysteriously disappeared. We cleaned the entire bar and it was nowhere to be found so I'm betting someone snatched it when we weren't looking.

We ended up making $200 each but that wasn't enough for how much I took it in the rear end tonight.

I also left a note in my bar manager's box tonight with a list of all the drinks my other manager came into the bar and made that I never got a ticket for. We just got reamed in our meeting the other day about making sure we keep track of all that and always get a ticket for them and here this dude is not ringing up any of the stuff he's making.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Daric posted:

She also somehow lost a guest's credit card. We don't really keep them to run tabs because we're a restaurant and we're not usually busy enough to warrant it but this guy gave it to her, she sat it on top of the till like we always do and it was there all night. Up until it came time to give it back to him, where it mysteriously disappeared. We cleaned the entire bar and it was nowhere to be found so I'm betting someone snatched it when we weren't looking.

You will find it 3 weeks later in the weirdest spot. I once lost a guest's credit card - I dropped it as I pulled it out of the card box we used, went to catch it, and the thing just disappeared.

Thankfully, the bar had slowed down since it was after 1AM and the guest was in no huge hurry, so I comped him a drink while I looked for the card. I had it in my hand, so I knew it hadn't been given back to the wrong person. After about 45 minutes of searching, I eventually found it - when I went to catch it, I actually knocked it horizontally between the till and the shelf it sat on. There was about 1/4" of space between the two but it happened to be just the right timing and angle.

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

poo poo ends up the weirdest places in a bar.

Just this weekend a girl came up to the bar. She couldn't find her ID. Blamed the door guy saying that he checked it but didn't give it back to her. She said she'd already talked to him and he claimed he didn't have it. As unlikely as it was for him to keep it if it wasn't fake (and I'd have been notified immediately if he'd caught one), I went and asked him myself. He distinctly recalled putting it back in her hand. Alright. So I asked her if it had maybe gotten lost in her purse, if she had put it in a pocket instead and forgotten, or if it was possible that she'd dropped it. No on the purse, no on the pockets, and no on the dropping it. But, she was pretty lit at this point so I didn't really buy that.

I take down her name and info, assure her that we will search high and low for it once the bar is cleared out, promise her the door guy didn't take it but that I will grill him relentlessly just in case.

Then, as I'm walking through the women's bathroom at the end of the night to clear it, I find this!

My best guess is that it slipped out of her back pocket as she was sitting down.. or getting up, I don't know.

Either way, I get the joy of calling her up and, not only vindicating my door guy, but informing her that I found her ID in a loving toilet.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Daric posted:

We ended up making $200 each but that wasn't enough for how much I took it in the rear end tonight.

I've found that busier doesn't always equal better tips. When it's steady but not too busy you're able to give better service and actually talk to people, those are the days I bank. When you're in the weeds people are always waiting and get pissed, they reflect their displeasure in the tips. So you work twice as hard but don't get nearly what you thought you should. My bar manager did the math and figured out once we get to a certain sales number the tip percentage starts going down in a hurry.

Also if your managers are going to fire a bartender because of timeliness complaints when it was busy they are idiots. Bars get busy, and people have to wait. Losing cards happens too, and nine times out of ten it's the customer that loses it after it's given back. Unless your fellow bartender was rude to the customers there's no reason to fire her.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

leica posted:

I've found that busier doesn't always equal better tips. When it's steady but not too busy you're able to give better service and actually talk to people, those are the days I bank. When you're in the weeds people are always waiting and get pissed, they reflect their displeasure in the tips. So you work twice as hard but don't get nearly what you thought you should. My bar manager did the math and figured out once we get to a certain sales number the tip percentage starts going down in a hurry.

Also if your managers are going to fire a bartender because of timeliness complaints when it was busy they are idiots. Bars get busy, and people have to wait. Losing cards happens too, and nine times out of ten it's the customer that loses it after it's given back. Unless your fellow bartender was rude to the customers there's no reason to fire her.

There's no reason to fire her but she's worried and my general manager has been known to be an rear end.

But yeah, I agree with you. Those steady nights when I can actually hang out and chat with my guests and everyone leaves me $15-20 or more, it's so great. Nights like last night where I'm busting rear end the entire time and I come out of the other side making less than 10% of my sales in tips suck so much.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

leica posted:

This is so true. I'm a pretty personable fellow (with a huge comp tab), so if I have time to grip and grin, tell some jokes, treat the homely ones like beauty queens and the awkward ones like pro athletes I can pull in 30% or even 50%. When I'm 5 deep, scowling in concentration, barking out "next!", and not even able to take the time to be nice to the nice ones....yeah.

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

I'm sure it's been hashed to death but on the topic of bartending school, I really think it's a YMMV thing.

Personally, I hear a lot of people say "Bartending school is a waste of time/won't get you a job/start lower down" etc, and I feel like that is probably the case for some people and some schools.

That being said, the thing that bartending school can give you is a sense of confidence behind a bar (provided you go to one that has functioning wells) and an in with most chain/bigger businesses (which you can later parlay into better venues).

It's been my experience that most hiring managers and HR people know jack poo poo about bartending and so they equate "bartending school" with "masters program" or some similar poo poo and convince themselves that you're an "educated" person. In reality, this more than likely isn't the case, but if you've developed a decent sense of confidence behind a well, you can demonstrate it if you have a chance to.

I'm sure there are fly-by-night, scammy bartending schools out there, and I'm sure they're an arm and a leg. They'll tell you "job placement" blah blah blah, when in reality all they're doing is compiling a list of Craigslist openings and "talking to their connections."

I went to bartending school, landed a job as a banquet bartender, moved to service bartender and then ended up in front bar in under 90 days. If you have the drive, the people skills and the drink skills, sometimes you just need an in. For me it cost $399 for a 40 hour program and I would definitely do it the same all over again. The class paid for itself after 1.5 front bar shifts.

-Do your research and ask questions (Do you have functioning wells? Can I sit in for part of a class? Do you have arrangements to hop behind a live bar for a night? If yes/yes/yes, it's probably a decent spot)
-Check them out on Yelp/Social media (if they have 5 reviews, it's all from employees)
-When interviewing, don't reference bartending school as if you learned everything. Say that you took it to gain live experience handling bottles behind a well, to increase your knowledge of popular drink recipes etc. Don't act cocky, don't act like you know it all and definitely say you're willing to be taught, etc.

Bartending school might not be for everyone, but for myself I can say with certainty that it gave me an in to the industry and helped give me the practice and confidence behind a well that I thought could only come with live experience.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
No one in the industry is going to be befuddled into thinking you're an acceptable bartender because you say or actually did go to a bartending school.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Don't go to bartending school.

I think you got lucky, kevman, and I think it's kind of bad advice to give people who are looking to get into bartending when basically what you're saying is: roll the dice, cos hey, maybe you'll get double sixes!

I'm glad it worked out for you, but $400 is an insane price to pay to not get any real hands on experience, and basically give you the same amount of knowledge that you could've gained on your own by reading a couple of books. Especially when it's not actually going to make you any more attractive to an employer apart from being a bit more confident because you're one step up from being completely green.

e: beaten by the goat

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

Applications with bartending school listed on them go in their own special place. It's 60 gallons and has a bag in it.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Dirnok posted:

Applications with bartending school listed on them go in their own special place. It's 60 gallons and has a bag in it.

The circular file.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well my girl didn't get fired, thank god, but they did say they're adding another bartender. This girl is a little on the thicker side and pretty slow so i'm worried about her moving at a good pace with how tight our bar is.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I went to a "school", more like a crash course really, it was just a couple nights a week for a few months. I did it to prepare myself because I was determined to get behind a bar, it helped until a certain point and by that time I got a job behind a bar before I finished. That being said, I had a background in hospitality and had barbacked before, so I knew how to act working around a bar. The school was just for me personally to get my confidence where I wanted it to be in terms of just making drinks and being fast. I didn't even finish to get the "certificate" haha.

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

leica posted:

...The school was just for me personally to get my confidence where I wanted it to be in terms of just making drinks and being fast. I didn't even finish to get the "certificate" haha.

Bingo, this is the main place I'm going with this. I get what everyone else is saying about the circular file and I totally believe that as it pertains to smaller, neighborhood joints, but two of the three places I've worked (Hilton Corporation and a restaurant chain in San Francisco) had hiring managers/HR divisions that weeded through resumes- not bartenders. Yes, eventually I was interviewed by bartenders, but getting through to the interview process required getting past HR first.

In both instances they mentioned "bartending school" in a positive light.

When I applied for my local sports bar, I left it off my resume entirely since experience trounces it dramatically.

It's obviously YMMV, but I'm just putting out a success story that originated from bartending school (paired with a ton of hard work and desire to move up, of course) since it seems like everyone likes to poo poo on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Right, once you get your foot in the door somewhere there's no need to use it anymore. The first job I got was just based on clicking with the manager personality wise, having worked as a barback, and being in the school at the time showed the manager that I was committed to bartending. This was YEARS ago btw, around the mid 90's so things may be much different now. Back then there were lots of bartending jobs to go around and there were people being hired out of the schools. Not sure how it is these days, apparently not so good. If I were to give advice about the schools I would say do it for your self confidence and don't expect a job coming out of it unless you are totally committed.

• Locked thread