Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
That makes sense in Denver especially. Did have a party of 6 get up and leave because we didn't have Natural Light on draft...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
I am envious and also scornful of places that have enough cooler space to where they have Bud Light on draft (why?!) AND in bottles.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

navyjack posted:

I love when people get so affronted that we only have Coors Light and not their particular flavor of hillbilly pisswater that they LEAVE to find a bar that has it!

I actually DO love this, as it gets them away from me.

Seriously. The quickest way to get on my bad side is to ask me, what kind of place doesn't have x? You don't like it, feel free to gently caress off.

I work at a big restaurant with a large patio, and I also love when it's 4 pm on a Friday, I'm juggling multiple prep duties, making drinks for the whole patio, and somebody walks in, sees the inside empty, and says, "wow, not very busy huh"

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Yo also sound off: what's the garbage beer you have on draft?

Ours was High Life for 10 years, now it's PBR

revolther
May 27, 2008
Bud light and four different Sierra Nevadas, it's all garbage beer.

People ask what do you have that's hoppy? loving everything.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I only have 5 taps, so the garbage would probably be the house made sangria that I make bank off of

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
I like running through the tap list on request explaining where everything is from and a general profile to hear "hmmmmm I'll have a Mic Ultra"

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

mooyashi posted:

I like running through the tap list on request explaining where everything is from and a general profile to hear "hmmmmm I'll have a Mic Ultra"

This is the worst poo poo especially when standing in front of the taps. I like talking about beer, but go to hell if you were just quizzing me.

Garbage beer is Coors Light at one bar, Hamms or High Life at the other.

E: also sometimes Shock Top. Holy poo poo poo poo is that beer bad.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Well I do sell tall cans of pbr for $4 so I guess that'd be it for me.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
We sell $3 PBR tall cans from opening to close. From 9-11PM, we have $1 Budlight, Miller Light, and Blue Moon, and we also have $1 well drinks (with the exception of tequila, which is $3). We also have $3 lemon drops. There's also a 25% chance every time somebody asks how much a shot of Fireball is and we tell them that it's $5....that they scoff and walk off disappointed.

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

We put on draft on sale until we ran out. Thank god we're not using them again.

Our biggest sellers are Bud Light and Mic Ultra. All domestics are $2.50, but $5 for a domestic/well shot combo, which includes Fireball. Wed/Thur is $1 domestics all night.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Welp never had to kick people out for aggressively recruiting an orgy before, but there's a first time for everything

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

mooyashi posted:

Welp never had to kick people out for aggressively recruiting an orgy before, but there's a first time for everything

I work at a swinger nightclub and playing grab-rear end is whatever. Problems occur when someone starts getting fingered right in front of the bar. We've interrupted blowjobs in the back corner, so now that section has the lights turned up.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Username checks out

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Sticky Nate posted:

*looks at bottles behind me*

"What drinks y'all have?"

There's a cool bartender I work with who will just rattle off like 15-20 mixed drinks he knows that we can make with the ingredients we have, and then asks which one would you like

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Old Man Pants posted:

There's a cool bartender I work with who will just rattle off like 15-20 mixed drinks he knows that we can make with the ingredients we have, and then asks which one would you like

It's a lovely question, but that's a worse response unless it's a high volume place where wasted time equals lost sales. You should at least be able to take 10 seconds and ask "Beer, liquor, sour, sweet ???" to get someone started - a response like that just aggravates customers. But if it's high volume, yeah, gently caress anyone who walks up to the bar, flags down a bartender and doesn't have their order ready.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I work at a bar in San Diego with 36 craft beers on tap and damned if we don't sell more Kirin Ichiban than any other beer. I've got every style you can be looking for and flat out saying "It's pretty much a Dos Equis" is the best sales pitch I've got and damned if I don't sell 4+ pitchers at most big tables.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

Shooting Blanks posted:

It's a lovely question, but that's a worse response unless it's a high volume place where wasted time equals lost sales. You should at least be able to take 10 seconds and ask "Beer, liquor, sour, sweet ???" to get someone started - a response like that just aggravates customers. But if it's high volume, yeah, gently caress anyone who walks up to the bar, flags down a bartender and doesn't have their order ready.

That's when you get a ghosting. Wave my rear end down and then turn around to your friends to figure out what you want, I'm already gone when you turn around.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
My favorite is when someone waves at you, just wave back

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

TGG posted:

I work at a bar in San Diego with 36 craft beers on tap and damned if we don't sell more Kirin Ichiban than any other beer. I've got every style you can be looking for and flat out saying "It's pretty much a Dos Equis" is the best sales pitch I've got and damned if I don't sell 4+ pitchers at most big tables.

It's not my favourite, but after a decade of overhopped and/or high alcohol craft brews, I'm finding that I'd much rather just have a well-executed lager/pilsner. I've got wine if I want to sip and savor, and I've got liquor to get alcohol in me fast.

Not that there aren't good craft beers in those styles, but they're disappointingly rare, especially in a lot of bars.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

mooyashi posted:

That's when you get a ghosting. Wave my rear end down and then turn around to your friends to figure out what you want, I'm already gone when you turn around.

I went to an awesome wine bar in Madrid where the bartender was basically the soup nazi. It was the best bar ever. I gave him a big tip, by North American standards, the last time I was there, for remembering that customer service means taking care of all the customers, not just the entitled dipshits with no clue.

(He was actually very friendly and accommodating if you were polite and didn't have your head firmly up your rear end, but that didn't save him from many Very Upset Yelp-cunts)

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

PT6A posted:

It's not my favourite, but after a decade of overhopped and/or high alcohol craft brews, I'm finding that I'd much rather just have a well-executed lager/pilsner. I've got wine if I want to sip and savor, and I've got liquor to get alcohol in me fast.

Not that there aren't good craft beers in those styles, but they're disappointingly rare, especially in a lot of bars.

Non-bartender here, but I absolutely agree with the above. I'll have maybe one of the "big" beers on tap, but give me a nice lager, ESB, or hefeweizen and I'll probably put back several.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Shooting Blanks posted:

We're high volume, and often have lines 100 deep. If you've been standing in line for 10 minutes and still have no idea what you want, gtfo.

mooyashi posted:

My favorite is when someone waves at you, just wave back

I love this idea.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

mooyashi posted:

Old Man Pants posted:

We're high volume, and often have lines 100 deep. If you've been standing in line for 10 minutes and still have no idea what you want, gtfo.

I have zero issue with that response in high volume - when there are 20 other people who know what they want, yeah, skip the idiot who doesn't.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
I mean I get it, maybe you're half drunk and weren't thinking about it; I just don't have any pity. No matter what line of work you're in people wasting your time has to be the worst.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Before I bartended and would blow by people who didn't know what they wanted, I was a pizza delivery driver - we answered phones while waiting for a run. At prime time, if I answered the phone and asked what you wanted to order, and you said "hold on... hey guys, what do you want on your pizza?!", you got put immediately back in the queue and I moved on to take someone's order.

I just don't understand what would make someone stand in line at a bar and wonder what to order. I knew what I was going to order when I got in the car to drive to the bar. What did you think about for the last 5 minutes while you tried to get my attention?

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

photomikey posted:

Before I bartended and would blow by people who didn't know what they wanted, I was a pizza delivery driver - we answered phones while waiting for a run. At prime time, if I answered the phone and asked what you wanted to order, and you said "hold on... hey guys, what do you want on your pizza?!", you got put immediately back in the queue and I moved on to take someone's order.

I just don't understand what would make someone stand in line at a bar and wonder what to order. I knew what I was going to order when I got in the car to drive to the bar. What did you think about for the last 5 minutes while you tried to get my attention?

Nothing. They were busy on their phones, talking to their equally airheaded friends, or watching the game. Thinking is not what those kinds of people do. Ever.

And a big and hearty gently caress you to motherfuckers that grab asses in bars. There's playful flirty touching with someone you're already talking to, and then there's walk up to a bachelorette party you've simply been oogling all night grabbing a handful of a stranger's bum. That's sexual assault bitch. I dunno what our doorguy did about it, but he's big and soft until he isn't. Absolute scumbag. And his shithead friend tried to stand up for him and say it was cool! Two sleazy fucks.

Ally McBeal Wiki fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 18, 2016

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Not only a hearty gently caress you, you can't come back, ever. Ever. 90% about why you're there anyway is trying to get laid. And you came to my bar because there were women. And if you make the women uncomfortable, they won't come in. And if they don't come in, you don't come in, I don't make rent... and yeah honestly gently caress you for grabbing asses

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Dang, looks like I unsubscribed from this last winter, when I was living in a basement office managing a bar for a restaurant and miserable about same. Life's much more rad on the supply side!

And what up, Choom. Get yr PMs together, man.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I like when you 86 them for grabbing asses and they throw a hissy fit like they've been wronged in some way. No guy, I'm not going to calmly explain to you why it's not ok to grab strange women's butts whenever you feel like.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
I can't believe it, after almost making it seven years in Hospitality I am now getting paid 40% more to work a 9-5 Monday-Friday job which doesn't cause me physical exhaustion and pain and I am actually getting appreciated for the work I do.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I did it, you guys. I found the most obnoxious costume to bar tend in.

Ordered.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

"Top shelf liquor? Sorry, can't reach it!"

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
We divvied up the amateur nights this year. One guy gets Halloween, one guy gets NYE, I take St. Patricks. I feel I have chosen poorly, but honestly we stuck the single guy with New Years, because women.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Like go find that one girl and kiss her, make a thing out of it. I gotta do laundry and it's my turn on the litter box the next day.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
I had a customer ask me what I was going to be for Halloween this year. The answer is "drunk."

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
I'm lucky enough to work all three! *fart*

NYE has been far gentler to me than either Halloween or St. Patricks. NYE is mostly a short slog at the places I work, whereas the other two are loving grinds. Especially St. Patricks. gently caress that garbage day.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Pretty stoked Halloween is on a Monday this year. Although I just realized that means I'll be in at 9 am for inventory, and then also working the party. Just can't win

How!
Oct 29, 2009

So glad I dont have to work st.pattys parade in nola anymore. On the flip side, looking for a new job across the country is not very fun either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
So, recommendations for ink to stamp people's hands with that doesn't wash away very easily?

• Locked thread