Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
What would y'all recommend for making whiskey sours at home?

At work we have jugs of lemon sour that the prep ladies make for us every day.

I have some sweet and sour mix at home or I could do lemon juice and sugar. Which do you think will be better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Rakewell
Aug 24, 2004
Check out my progress!

Daric posted:

What would y'all recommend for making whiskey sours at home?

At work we have jugs of lemon sour that the prep ladies make for us every day.

I have some sweet and sour mix at home or I could do lemon juice and sugar. Which do you think will be better?

Whiskey, fresh lemon juice, and some sort of sugar or simple syrup. An egg white if you like the texture or feel like doing the historical thing. It's really easy to overthink this one, and that's where people mess up.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Tom, you forgot about the Sprite...

happy cabbage
Mar 1, 2008

Where did I put that sunscreen?
Is there a site somewhere that tells you exactly what certifications you need to serve alcohol in each state? googling just comes up with "take this really expensive online course that turns out it does nothing for you"

uinfuirudo
Aug 11, 2007
Most states require >50% of people on the floor and all managers to have certifications, so really you wont be in any trouble without one starting up. Of course the people running your bar will probably want to get you into one asap, and really if you are the kind of person that couldn't pass one of these in your sleep you probably dont belong behind a bar in the first place.

That said all of my bartending experience came in Japan where none of these laws existed and I was actually breaking the law to work in the industry. That said the law that I was breaking was never enforced by anyone ever.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
Ugh. After soul searching and a few pretty long, slow nights in thought and lots of smokes, in 6 weeks I'll be looking for a new place. Willing (and would probably be happy) to start at barback. I swear I'm not too white for it!

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Serving shift today. 13 table section out on our patio.

Asked my manager why she was giving me an over-sized section that was obviously going to fill up first and fastest.

'Because you're a superstar!' is not an adequate answer. I cannot provide a good amount of attention to that many tables at once, and you can gently caress off with your empty sentiments.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

JawKnee posted:

Serving shift today. 13 table section out on our patio.

Asked my manager why she was giving me an over-sized section that was obviously going to fill up first and fastest.

'Because you're a superstar!' is not an adequate answer. I cannot provide a good amount of attention to that many tables at once, and you can gently caress off with your empty sentiments.

If there weren't any trainees in today, nor were there any absentees/no one called in sick, your manager is an rear end.

Even then, jesus. gently caress that.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Bartenders, tell me the etiquette around extreme happy hours. I'm going to a bar tonight celebrating 5 years of being open, and they're doing $1 beer, wine, and wells all night. Yes, I'm expecting it to be completely slammed with people packed in there like sardines. I'm still planning to tip $1 per drink. Would whiskey sours be too much work and they're just wanting to toss out beers and shots?

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Weinertron posted:

Bartenders, tell me the etiquette around extreme happy hours. I'm going to a bar tonight celebrating 5 years of being open, and they're doing $1 beer, wine, and wells all night. Yes, I'm expecting it to be completely slammed with people packed in there like sardines. I'm still planning to tip $1 per drink. Would whiskey sours be too much work and they're just wanting to toss out beers and shots?
If you want the truth: yes. The staff will hate you for it.

I'd be very surprised if cocktails are in included in the offer as well. If you want a whisky sour, go to the quiet bar down the street and enjoy it.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Hoops posted:

If you want the truth: yes. The staff will hate you for it.

I'd be very surprised if cocktails are in included in the offer as well. If you want a whisky sour, go to the quiet bar down the street and enjoy it.

If he's tipping a dollar a drink on dollar drink night I'll make him whiskey sours ALL loving NIGHT compared to the horde of ravenous shits that are going to be in there trying to save dollars.

I'll probably use the sour from the gun, but hey, a whiskey sour is just a highball and it's no sweat off my balls to make one even if there's no sour on the gun.

Weinertron posted:

A whiskey sour is almost no more work than a rum and coke. Don't worry about it.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Fair enough, I didn't even know you could get sour mix in a gun. We used to make our own in massive jugs.

Septic Knothead
Jul 23, 2009

Boris S Wart
The Second Meanest Man In The World
Maybe a dumb question, but what kind of whiskey do you usually get if you order a whiskey sour without specifying? What the hell kind of whiskey should I specify? Bourbon? Jack Daniel's?

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Septic Knothead posted:

Maybe a dumb question, but what kind of whiskey do you usually get if you order a whiskey sour without specifying? What the hell kind of whiskey should I specify? Bourbon? Jack Daniel's?
if you don't specify, you'll get well. Since you're mixing with a strong-tasting mix, this shouldn't be a bad thing.

Septic Knothead
Jul 23, 2009

Boris S Wart
The Second Meanest Man In The World

navyjack posted:

if you don't specify, you'll get well. Since you're mixing with a strong-tasting mix, this shouldn't be a bad thing.
What would well typically be? I know this would vary from bar to bar, but in general would it be just some kind of cheap blended whiskey?

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

I'm gonna be a douchebag and say that anything that involves a mix from a gun is not a whiskey sour. I hate whoever started the nightclub style whiskey sour with lovely mix off a gun, but I'll leave my hoighty toighty, nose in the air cocktail bullshit at that and completely agree that if you want to enjoy your whisskey sour, you probably don't want it at dollar drink night anyway. Unless of course you want a club style whiskey sour in which case go nuts! :)

you loving heathen :colbert:

In the way of real advice though, start off by tipping ten bucks for your first drink, and get your drinks before the rest of the rabble for the rest of night.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Septic Knothead posted:

Depends on the bar. Usually it's something in a Jack Daniels looking bottle that's supposed to kinda taste like Jack Daniels. In Vegas the go to is Evan Williams. Elsewhere it changes all the time, even in one bar.

With the "sour" in there it isn't going to make a huge different in the end product for dollar drink night.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

nrr posted:

In the way of real advice though, start off by tipping ten bucks for your first drink, and get your drinks before the rest of the rabble for the rest of night.

This. This has been my M/O whenever I go to a busy bar/club. Buy from the bartender, tip big on your first drink and they'll come to you first all night (as long as you keep tipping).

The number of free drinks I've gotten out of this is nuts.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Septic Knothead posted:

What would well typically be? I know this would vary from bar to bar, but in general would it be just some kind of cheap blended whiskey?

From my experience (probably differs depending on the bars you visit), it's a very cheap brand, often times ones you won't find at your liquor store. I'm trying to remember one right now, my roommate was at a free poker tournament the other night where the prize was a bottle of well liquor, and whatever Whiskey brand he mentioned was honestly something I'd never heard of. I Googled it and it was like seven bucks for a fifth, I can't remember the name for the life of me right now.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

nrr posted:

Is this impossible to do if you just plan on running a tab and have no cash on you?

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

WampaLord posted:

Is this impossible to do if you just plan on running a tab and have no cash on you?

Protip: Have cash.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

WampaLord posted:

Pretty much. I've had people promise me a good tip when handing me the card then getting screwed. Cash is king.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

leica posted:

Pretty much. I've had people promise me a good tip when handing me the card then getting screwed. Cash is king.

Yeah, if I had a buck for everybody who wanted me to "hook it up" for a "fat tip" it would bring their lovely tipping levels about up to par.

If I don't know you, but you've been a good guy and run up a decent-sized tab, then odds are you're gonna get a little cinnamon-flavored surprise shot with your tab. Ask me for free poo poo or to "hook it up" and you are immediately dumped in the cheapfuck loser category.

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

Septic Knothead posted:

In the bars I've worked at around here it's been Ezra Brooks, Ten High, and Jim Beam green label. I actually like cheap whiskey but these are all still varying degrees of awful.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I wish Evan Williams was our house whiskey, we use Early Times. Evan Williams is really good.

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

I'd never had Evan Williams prior to reading James Woods' rant about it in the old thread. Now it's pretty much a given that I'll have a bottle of it around the house. It really is remarkably good for the price.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

leica posted:

gently caress everyone who says they're going to tip you well. At some point. In the future. Not now, but, y'know, like, I'm totally gonna take care of you bro.

I don't think I've had a single person who's said they're going to tip well actually do it. People who tip well don't mention how well they're going to tip you as if they deserve some sort of reward for doing it. They just do it.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

nrr posted:

I'm gonna be a douchebag and say that anything that involves a mix from a gun is not a whiskey sour. I hate whoever started the nightclub style whiskey sour with lovely mix off a gun, but I'll leave my hoighty toighty, nose in the air cocktail bullshit at that and completely agree that if you want to enjoy your whisskey sour, you probably don't want it at dollar drink night anyway. Unless of course you want a club style whiskey sour in which case go nuts! :)

you loving heathen :colbert:

The sour mix came from a gun, and I didn't give one poo poo because it was dollar drink night and I got to have many of them. I tipped $1 a drink, and the bartender came to me before other people because apparently people weren't tipping at all during cheap-rear end night.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

nrr posted:

gently caress everyone who says they're going to tip you well. At some point. In the future. Not now, but, y'know, like, I'm totally gonna take care of you bro.

I don't think I've had a single person who's said they're going to tip well actually do it. People who tip well don't mention how well they're going to tip you as if they deserve some sort of reward for doing it. They just do it.

I've had it happen exactly twice in memory. Both times, they threw down a cash tip on the first round, while giving me a card for the drinks. I don't remember specific totals, but the tip wound up being at least 50% of the bill in both cases. That's twice out of literally thousands of tabs I've run, probably tens of thousands.

Either way, it's exceedingly rare, and as a rule, people who say they're going to tip well are generally assholes.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Weinertron posted:

The sour mix came from a gun, and I didn't give one poo poo because it was dollar drink night and I got to have many of them. I tipped $1 a drink, and the bartender came to me before other people because apparently people weren't tipping at all during cheap-rear end night.

Exactly par.

nrr posted:

In my experience people who say that don't know how to tip / behave in a bar to begin with, and their idea of "tipping you well" is that they tip at all. Those people are poo poo.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Who the hell is so damned cheap that they don't even tip on dollar drink night, geez.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Cheap people want cheap drinks on cheap night. Surprise!

Tom Rakewell
Aug 24, 2004
Check out my progress!
Heh what's kind of funny is at the last bar I worked at our default whiskey sour was made with egg white shaken in it, pre-Prohibition style. Egg drinks require several minutes of continuous shaking to reach the proper consistency, and had to be made individually, with no batching for larger orders.

So it was always amusing/painful to watch people come in on volume nights and order rounds of 4-5+ whiskey sours, perhaps thinking they were ordering quick, easy drinks and not realizing what they were getting into, or perhaps just being well-aware of the trouble. Those rounds would leave your joints throbbing in pain if you couldn't get anyone to help you, and the poor sap would be waiting 15-20 minutes for his whiskey sours while the people behind him would be visibly pissed off watching the bartender tied up with that order for so long.

That's my experience, but yeah, everywhere non-fancy (and even a lot of fancy places) a whiskey sour is just an easy booze and mixer drink that takes seconds to make.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
Highlights of my night; getting tipped 0.68 on 3 very specific martinis and coming in to work to find random sealed bottles of Absolut and Canadian Club (not normally carried) stashed all over the bar because apparently yesterday some party in the restaurant specially requested them and then never ordered drinks with them.

Do thrift stores take alcohol?

uinfuirudo
Aug 11, 2007
No, but I think you may need to have a safety meeting.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Yeah me I do imma thirft store

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Der Luftwaffle posted:

Highlights of my night; getting tipped 0.68 on 3 very specific martinis and coming in to work to find random sealed bottles of Absolut and Canadian Club (not normally carried) stashed all over the bar because apparently yesterday some party in the restaurant specially requested them and then never ordered drinks with them.

Do thrift stores take alcohol?

Grandpa party

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

Sheep-Goats posted:

Grandpa party

Man with the longest whitest rattiest oldest beard I know drinks CC; man with the oldest push-broomiest mustache I know drinks Absolut. Both are 70 years old.

GRANDPA PAAEERTY

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Our hotel front desk gives out free drink tickets for when they gently caress up. Some days it's a lot. Apparently "free drink" means "I don't have to tip poo poo" either. It isn't my loving fault your room isn't ready, and I didn't put a roach on your pillow, so you can go gently caress yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Daric posted:

I wish Evan Williams was our house whiskey, we use Early Times. Evan Williams is really good.
I normally drink Wild Turkey 101 (not the finest but I do like it) and tried EW on James's recommendation as well.

I was not right for about a week afterwards, like it killed all the beneficial gut flora I had. I've gotten really drunk on Turkey with no real bad after-effects, but the minor drunk I had on that poo poo pretty much wrecked me. Sorry EW, I tried to like you... :(

• Locked thread