Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Why stamps and not wristbands?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Why anything and just have a good bouncer?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Place might be 18+ and needs to identify legal drinkers, or needs in and out privileges to accommodate smokers if there is a smoking ban. Just a couple reasons off the top of my head, I was assuming they already had bouncers and were trying to separate patrons into different groups for some reason.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Kinda wish I could bartend in another state to test my current theory that Las Vegas is the worst place to be a local bartender because the easy revenue gained from the slot machines at the bar allow the dumbest owners imaginable to keep the doors open when Darwinism should have destroyed them years ago.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

CubanMissile posted:

Kinda wish I could bartend in another state to test my current theory that Las Vegas is the worst place to be a local bartender because the easy revenue gained from the slot machines at the bar allow the dumbest owners imaginable to keep the doors open when Darwinism should have destroyed them years ago.

Are gaming licenses particularly limited? Unless they are, it shouldn't make too much of a difference because they're still competing against bars that also have slot machines.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

PT6A posted:

Are gaming licenses particularly limited? Unless they are, it shouldn't make too much of a difference because they're still competing against bars that also have slot machines.

There's enough tourism that unless the bar is in a lovely location, I can't imagine they have any lack of new people that just to in to wherever is closest/has a table available.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

PT6A posted:

They are limited somewhat, but you'll find a bar with 15 machines on every corner. Each machine, at a bar with virtually no customers, will bring in anywhere between $300-5000, a day, x15, with very little overhead. That will do a lot to keep you afloat. And it's not even tourists, that's just locals from the neighborhood. Every once in a while they pay out, but it's not often and when people win they almost always put that money right back into the machine. Hell on any day, at least 3 employees are going to gamble $100 of their own tips after a shift, which goes right back into the owner's pocket if he owns the machines, half if he doesn't.

CubanMissile fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Oct 25, 2016

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
Chicago report: The Cubs are in the World Series, and playing at home every day this weekend. Bars were packed by 745 AM this morning. It is Halloween weekend.

I am expected to deal with people who have been drinking since at least 8AM on the 28th starting at 9PM on the 29th, where they will then proceed to continue to drink on the 30th, and then go to parties and drink on the 31st.

gently caress. This. poo poo. And the Cubs.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

Yes it sucks. It sucks a lot. You probably think it isn't even worth it. But it is. Make rent and have a ridiculous story to tell the newbies.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
If you want a job where sports doesn't gently caress your day up occasionally find a desk

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hospitals work too. At least in the Nutrition Services department. (Read, cooks.)

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
They poo poo in our urinal tonight, and somebody puked on top of the poo poo, causing it to overflow a little.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Ally McBeal Wiki posted:

They poo poo in our urinal tonight, and somebody puked on top of the poo poo, causing it to overflow a little.

This was my first Halloween in years that I wasn't in service somewhere. It was pleasant but drab, because all my friends are getting married and having babies. I miss exactly not this when I think about bartending Halloween.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

bloody ghost titty posted:

This was my first Halloween in years that I wasn't in service somewhere. It was pleasant but drab, because all my friends are getting married and having babies. I miss exactly not this when I think about bartending Halloween.

As I put my garbage-bagged hand in a shitpuke backed-up urinal at 335 in the morning after working 6 hours for d-bags, I was reminded of my uncle's advice to me in a card on my 18th birthday: "GO TO COLLEGE. GET AN ENGINEERING DEGREE. You'll have all the money you need, you'll get the cars, the babes, and the freedom to do what you want. My only regret in life is that I didn't do it until I was in my 30's."

Catching up on that number, Lou. Real fast.

(I secretly love the work. It's why I keep getting sucked back in.)

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Nothing says Babe Magnet like a STEM degree

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Every time I pour Janitor Sawdust over a pile of puke to sweep it up I remind myself that I can tell the offender to Get hosed and that I don't have an aimless meeting scheduled on Friday an hour before I'm supposed to go home.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Also that the only work email I've ever sent in my entire life was to say "I quit"

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

mooyashi posted:

Also that the only work email I've ever sent in my entire life was to say "I quit"

Like I said, I love the work. I do a desk job as well, and every single week I look forward to my bar shift. I just need to start bringing my own long rubber gloves to work for such occasions as that one.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
The kitchen has gloves suited well enough. I don't really need to be a dad, but if I am there will be zero squeamishness w/r/t any liquid a body can produce.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

mooyashi posted:

Nothing says Babe Magnet like a STEM degree

Its not so much the STEM degree but the secure employment and house that often comes along with it. Only works on women in their late 20's or older, but it really does work.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
And they say romance is dead

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

Ally McBeal Wiki posted:

They poo poo in our urinal tonight

New thread name please and thank you

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Anyone wake up early for the best Walk Of Shame day of the year

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
People puking in the urinals is the worst. Sink is bad too. Puke in the toilet, puke in the trash can, hell puke on the floor so it's at least easy to clean up.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

CubanMissile posted:

People puking in the urinals is the worst. Sink is bad too. Puke in the toilet, puke in the trash can, hell puke on the floor so it's at least easy to clean up.

Sink I can deal with. At least that isn't/ hasn't been full of piss for some measurable amount of time.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Ally McBeal Wiki posted:

Sink I can deal with. At least that isn't/ hasn't been full of piss for some measurable amount of time.

True, but you still gotta scoop all that chunky stuff out of there.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
ejetzjm fhhvffh%$%b bm b$% kjkjjjjjjn nn y877)()((iillll

How!
Oct 29, 2009

Nonviolent J posted:

ejetzjm fhhvffh%$%b bm b$% kjkjjjjjjn nn y877)()((iillll

Same

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

I have a story from years ago, of puke in a crazy place. The rule at the nightclub I bounced at before bartending was that the newest guy cleans all puke. So I'm roaming the dance floor and some guy stops me to say there's puke in the men's room. I get to the bathroom in search of vomit, but come up empty handed. I can smell it, but it's not in a sink or urinal or toilet. That's when I saw it. Knowing it would be selfish to keep this discovery to myself, I seek out the new guy to see if he can solve the messy mystery. We get to the still, he scans the walls and floor, plugging his nose. I gesture to the toilet paper dispenser on the stall wall. He grimaced, looking confused, And opened the cover to the dispenser. There it was! Sinkgria, puke, vomit, whatever you call it, filled the cover as it lay open. That's right, someone barfed IN the toilet paper. At least they had the manners to close the cover back up.

Moral of the story? Puke brings us all closer as a community.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
The bar I hang out apparently lost someone, and they asked if I wanted to work one or two nights a week for the time being. I know most of the customers but it seems kinda daunting at the same time. This is a huge thread, what should I look out for?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I assume you are not a bartender, and I assume you have a career doing something else.

Do you want to turn the place you hangout into the place that you work? When one of your bar buddies does something stupid do you want to watch and laugh or have to get involved and grump at somebody and throw out a friend?

As a younger man my local watering hole had a vacancy and asked me to fill in, I went from once in a while to one day a week to two days a week, eventually back to one day a week, back down to occasional, and then the place closed up shop. One day a week, particularly on your Friday night is a great gig. Two nights a week when you're got a 40 hour job is a lot to ask. I will say it was the best few years of my life and I regret nothing.

Weigh your options. I don't think it's a bad gig.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
Uhh, I thought Blanks was one of the more experienced tarbender regulars in this thread.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
Yeah, um, what? Blanks I swear your words or advice were at least a percentage of the poo poo I slung and said and did to get started in this garbage industry. That being said...

Watch out for crabs and your personal sense of identity and achievement?

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
What do you guys wear to interviews? Used to be I wore suits with no tie, but these days it feels like I should go with casual and hip.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Either what I expect to be wearing when I work there or 'smart casual' ie dress pants/shorts and a button up shirt but no tie or anything

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
It was a boutique hotel that seemed more on the side of serious than hipster, so I went with the suit. Got the job! It's got actual benefits! Like PTO! I haven't been able to call in sick in seven years.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

CubanMissile posted:

It was a boutique hotel that seemed more on the side of serious than hipster, so I went with the suit. Got the job! It's got actual benefits! Like PTO! I haven't been able to call in sick in seven years.

Congrats dude! I've been looking into some hotel gigs myself, it seems like they are excellent long term careers instead of a place that's constantly changing management/concepts

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Old Man Pants posted:

Congrats dude! I've been looking into some hotel gigs myself, it seems like they are excellent long term careers instead of a place that's constantly changing management/concepts

HMU, there's gonna be a big one opening downtown in September/October by the same management company as where I work now, and apparently they are going for "4 Seasons level" clientele. I'm thinking about switching over when it opens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

I noticed the owner of a bar I'm in pour a less expensive liquor into a Crown Royal bottle.
Is there a place to report this to?

Edit: sorry this question is a bit rushed, but I've come here a few times and I'm pissed knowing this is happening.

• Locked thread