Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Welcome back, Dave.

Another nail in the coffin of deluding myself that I'm ever going to be able to shed this gig and do something with my life.

Was this taqueria in San Fran the place that did $2 tuesday tacos and had a line out the loving door and around the corner and was somehow jam packed with ridiculously good looking women? Cos I spent a couple of days in San Fran in about july I think of 2010 and one of the locals took us there one evening. I had trouble believing what I was seeing. I was wondering how the gently caress does a place selling $2 tacos of all things get packed with beautiful women in evening wear? It's like someone went back and remixed sex and the city and swapped out cosmopolitans for loving tacos. But I guess if that was your place, then I've got my answer.

Not sure what sort of crazy situations you've got yourself into now, but a drunk for a boss is always a good place to start. Looking forward to seeing how things have turned out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Repo man jobs must be through the roof right now though

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Baboon Fiesta posted:

What exactly is a mixologist? Google doesn't really go into much more depth than 'they are basically bartenders but sometimes engage in cocktail-alchemy'.

A mixologist is like a regular bartender, except they don't just make drinks like normal bartenders, they make drinks. Mixologists are better people than regular people, most definitely beter people than other bartenders, and most of them sing in barber shop quartets. While of course, the ones that don't, could, however they just choose not to. It has often been said that mixology was an artform first handed down from druids and wizards to DJ's of the time, who used it to make boring regular music better by adding a house beat to everything.

Over the years these techniques were carefully refined and now, mixologists use these honed skills to look down their noses at anything that doesn't have the word "craft" added mixed in to it, and will occassionally take a break from coming up with fancy new words to distinguish themselves from everyone else who serves booze, to mash enough of the current fad ingredients together to make a beverage.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Holy poo poo, that's loving terrible. I hope he pulls through.

Send him the best from uhh, the bartenders thread on the internet.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Bartender dartboard entry: nrr. ex high volume night clubs, now back to high volume fine dining restaurant/cocktail lounge

Tonight was cruisy as hell and yet somehow I'm completely exhausted. My Chef did get tipsy at my bar though at the end of the night and told me she hired a new meat station guy who's gonna be living with me apparently. But it's cool cos he's never going to be home except to sleep for half an hour a day because she's gonna work him to death and instead of giving him days off or breaks, she's going to schedule him to cook for me at home. :allears:

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Sondheim posted:

I'm 23, can't keep up with the young 'uns anymore.

:laugh:

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Dude, you should really be stirring your corona's, not shaking them

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Sheep-Goats posted:

Ice chips in my Corona, an essay, by Goat.

oh yeah I forgot to mention, last night I had a guy in the restaurant order his martini shaken and with ice chips in it. Then 5+ minutes after it was delivered, it came back... "this is too watery" :v:

I seriously looked around for you with a hidden camera crew or something, and then giggled to myself like an idiot for a while.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

PT6A posted:

Speaking of my steakhouse and their wicked cocktails, what do you all feel about this presentation: each cocktail is mixed, and poured into a tiny little carafe, which in then put in a bowl surrounded by crushed ice. This is served with a chilled cocktail glass.

I like it. It keeps the cocktail chilled properly without dilution, and it just seems very ritzy and clever. I've never seen it anywhere else, though.

We just started doing this for martinis served on our patio and I think it's a great idea to combat a drink heating up without having to compromise on dilution.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Coming from Australia, it's hilarious to me how much owners try and cut costs by cutting staff out here. What are you paying to have that bartender on for an extra hour? The price of a beer or two? It used to cost $29 an hour on weekends to have me on back home in oz (and that was 8-9 years ago, I can only imagine what it is now) and I can clearly understand why I'd get cut if it wasn't worth having me around. Out here though, is cutting a bartender or calling them in late really worth the tradeoff in service that you're providing? It sometimes makes me wonder just how bright management is, trying to save an extra couple of bucks to make the customers wait longer when your customers are really the ones paying for your staff anyway.

Sure, maybe it's the best bet sometimes and I know every dollar counts, but if you really need to save $8 then you might want to look into other areas that you could be more efficient first In my old club my owner started holding off bartender starts by half an hour to an hour and refusing to pay us for setup time to "cut costs" by making a grand total savings of maybe $10-$15. While literally every second night the ATM (which he owned) would go out of order or run out of money, costing him literally hundreds of dollars in lost revenue and he refused to get it serviced or stock it with more cash. Good thing you saved that $4 on not having both bars open at the same time, genius, because those guys that just spent $400 in here and have another 1-2k to spend between them just had to walk out the door because you're too cheap to keep the ATM running.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Bash Ironfist posted:

What kind of place do you work at that uses plastic cups? Or does it use both plastic and glass? The bars I've been to mainly use glass. But I've seen/talked to bartenders who will pull out plastic cups when they're serving college kids who are doing jaeger bomb after bomb, because they know those kids are gonna get hosed up real quick and don't want to have to deal with them dropping and smashing glasses.

I got a free drink for keeping that very thing from happening. Some smashed college frat boy was waving around this mostly-empty glass, and it flew from his hand, and I managed to catch it. The bartender gave me a shot of tequila in a glass you normally drink like a whiskey sour in. Half full too.

I woke up the next morning with the devil loving my brain.

Congrats on your first safety meeting

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Bash Ironfist posted:

Well, thanks? Not sure what you mean.

I'm sure it's not a universal thing, or at least the term isn't, but this is how it works in my neck of the woods:

Safety is important. Sometimes, it's paramount above all else that is going in the bar at the time to drop everything, and have an impromtu meeting to discuss safety. It's that important. You might have one of these meetings with one other staff member, or maybe a few. Maybe just with your boss. But the important thing is that there are multiple staff members present and they all are keen to work towards a common goal and make safety a priority.

First, the minutes from the last safety meeting be read. This is where one of the members recites them: "Safety." Then from there, all the other members of the meeting bring up their particular concerns for the current meeting: "Safety." everyone makes eye contact, nods solemnly, and then downs the glass of booze that they were given upon initiation of the Safety Meeting. Congratulations, your bar, your staff and your patrons are now a whole lot safer than they were before.

tl;dr: A safety meeting is basically the fake name you give drinking booze on the job to make it sound super legit. Sometimes it is legit, and downing some hard liquor right this instant is the only thing that is going to save multiple people from getting brutally murdered by a bartender/manager/doorman who is on the verge of snapping. Sometimes it's because you can't remember when your last safety meeting was, and that is dangerously unsafe. Sometimes it's just because your boss is an alcoholic and wants a drinking partner.

Either way, Safety First.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

It's actually true that for almost every language around the world, that after a few drinks and you start slurring your words, no matter where you are geographically, the local word for "manager" is almost completely indistinguishable from the word for "sucker."

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Perdido posted:

gently caress barbacks who are as big as a Sherman tank and run behind the bar with open jugs of Clamato.
ahaha i wish i couldve seen how this turned out

never tell your barbacks to stop running though. make sure they let you know when they're in your blind spot with a simple "BEHIND" to avoid problems, but otherwise, that guy is on the money.

also: gently caress gettiung up on 3 hours sleep to go get a usb stick from the printers for a girl who needs it for class today down in the city after she left it here and drove two hours away from it i dont even know if that makes sense at all but long story short: :suicide:

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Perdido posted:

You guys expect your BAs to be flat out running?

I'm not saying they shouldn't be moving, but running full tilt is dangerous.

At least it wasn't a bus bin full of urine! Which we did once, to a server that was universally hated.

Well, within reason of course. Sprinting blindly around isn't exactly what I meant, but a good barback is one that can take care of business at speed without causing more work to be done. eg. breaking poo poo, or making other staff think there's an incident, or knocking things over. Or spilling a couple of jugs of clamato all over you, causing no one to get any work done for the next 5 minutes while everyone howls with laughter.

Hey, at least you know the guys heart is in the right place. It's easier to get someone to tone it down a little that it is to light a fire under someone.

More importantly though, now I wanna hear a story about a bus bin full of piss.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Holy poo poo that's brutal. I'm all down for ~*HiJiNkS*~ but that's pretty intense, and crosses the line pretty badly. There's better ways to gently caress with people, and I guess like has already been said, it's lucky there were no charges pressed. I can't believe she didn't question why there was a bus bin full of piss just hanging around in the booth above her to be accidentally thrown over her bar.

Anyway, Vegie Mal, that sounds like a badass night. I love those flat out, balls to the wall shitshow sprints. Like you've just been shot off the ground at Cape Carnaveral, pulling 3 G's with a rocket strapped to your rear end and you're on the verge of blacking out but you just grit your teeth and hold on and keep holding on and c'maaaaahhhhhhn almost there almost there one hour to go c'maaahhhhn, and then just... bam. The sweet sweet serenity of zero gravity as you break through the atmosphere by running out of booze/hitting the time limit and you just sit there, floating.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Yeah Perdido, as much as that one was loving rough, I don't think we'd be able to hold our heads high if any of us said we didn't want to hear more horror stories.

You're in Van, right? I'm trying to connect the dots to work out a place thats closed now that had a DJ booth in piss filled bus bin throwing range of a bar. Buffalo club? The Bourbon?

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Don't go to bartending school.

I think you got lucky, kevman, and I think it's kind of bad advice to give people who are looking to get into bartending when basically what you're saying is: roll the dice, cos hey, maybe you'll get double sixes!

I'm glad it worked out for you, but $400 is an insane price to pay to not get any real hands on experience, and basically give you the same amount of knowledge that you could've gained on your own by reading a couple of books. Especially when it's not actually going to make you any more attractive to an employer apart from being a bit more confident because you're one step up from being completely green.

e: beaten by the goat

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

I'm gonna be a douchebag and say that anything that involves a mix from a gun is not a whiskey sour. I hate whoever started the nightclub style whiskey sour with lovely mix off a gun, but I'll leave my hoighty toighty, nose in the air cocktail bullshit at that and completely agree that if you want to enjoy your whisskey sour, you probably don't want it at dollar drink night anyway. Unless of course you want a club style whiskey sour in which case go nuts! :)

you loving heathen :colbert:

In the way of real advice though, start off by tipping ten bucks for your first drink, and get your drinks before the rest of the rabble for the rest of night.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

leica posted:

Pretty much. I've had people promise me a good tip when handing me the card then getting screwed. Cash is king.

gently caress everyone who says they're going to tip you well. At some point. In the future. Not now, but, y'know, like, I'm totally gonna take care of you bro.

I don't think I've had a single person who's said they're going to tip well actually do it. People who tip well don't mention how well they're going to tip you as if they deserve some sort of reward for doing it. They just do it.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Who the hell is so damned cheap that they don't even tip on dollar drink night, geez.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Yeah me I do imma thirft store

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

leica posted:

Our hotel front desk gives out free drink tickets for when they gently caress up. Some days it's a lot. Apparently "free drink" means "I don't have to tip poo poo" either. It isn't my loving fault your room isn't ready, and I didn't put a roach on your pillow, so you can go gently caress yourself.

See this is a pretty lovely situation all around. In almost every other situation you'd be a dick for not tipping on a free drink, but when you're doing a recovery for someone who's been hosed over, it's really poor form to say ohh I'm sorry you got a really lovely deal sir, here's something on us to make up for it... by the way, it's going to cost you more money for our mistake because you have to tip the bartender to get that "free" drink.

It just doesn't really make sense. I think the only soloution there is that you gather up all the drink tickets at the end of the shift, and charge the hotel for them instead of just writing them off. That way you get your tip for service, the customer gets a truly free drink without being responsible or feeling guilty for not wanting to tip (because they really shouldn't have to imo) and the hotel's fuckups become tangible instead of just being waived away. That way, if they continue to mount, then it costs them money and it's something that can and will be addressed because it's stupid to have a safety valve for fuckups (ie free drink tickets) that don't have any accountability and can just be thrown around willy nilly. Especially when the cause of the fuckup is one department, and a completely different department has to shoulder the effect.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

JawKnee posted:

Who gets into a fight in a fancy restaurant? :psyduck:

The kitchen :v:

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

To be fair, if I came across one of those things while I was drunk in a busy place I would probably put every single cent I owned into trying to get a live lobster that I could then terrorize the rest of the bar with until I got kicked out.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

two very, very lovely ladies in tonight sitting at my bar enjoying what looked like maybe their anniversary dinner, shared a bottle of bubbles and then while one of them was talking to me about champagne and oysters the other one started licking and sucking on her finger and it took every single ounce of professionalism left in me to keep a straight face and continue answering her questions.

luckilly for me though, as the restaurant quietened down and there was barely anyone left with the perfect end to a completely draining and exhaustive night in my sights, cue 12 people to come in and loudly ruin the mood and then 4 of the guys start relentlessly hitting on these poor girls, scaring them off completely. gj bros :thumbsup:

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Well, you poor bastard. There's definitely something to be said for people getting dressed up in evening wear to have cocktails and/or a nice dinner. Especially when those people are a couple of rather sophisticated looking ladies who are riding that fine line between behaving quite classy, and wanting to gently caress each others brains out right there on the bar.

The upside of my work environment though, is NO BLENDED DRINKS :krakken: which I'm sure you do a shitload of at a college pool bar, and I think I hate blended drinks with enough of a passion that I would actually trade in bikini clad customers to not have to make them.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

NEVAAR

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

I can definitely taste a difference in flavour between regular water and soda. I'm guessing the carbon dioxide causes that slightly bitter/sour (not sure exactly how to describe it) kind of flavour, but there's a difference there in taste besides just "bubbles."

e: beated.

uinfuirudo posted:

You can sort of use it as a substitute for triple sec, so theres that.

I have a bottle of Campari sitting around, that might be found in ruins and people might think that this poo poo was actually drank by someone.

Negroni's fuckin own.

Actually, I take it back they suck and Campari has no good uses at all. Here send me that bottle and I'll make sure to dispose of it properly.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Actually, I meant to add in that while yes, the flavours are different, regular water tastes better than soda water so she's still wrong. :colbert:

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Hoops posted:

You people that drink Campari are just biological mutations, my good god.

You put that stuff in your mouth?

come to the dark (pink) side, hoops.

join usssss

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

bud light lime margarita. An ad informed me yesterday that for years people have been trying to perfect the margarita, and now bud light have finally done it! In beer form!!

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Der Luftwaffle posted:

At least they've moved to a new victim after laying waste to the mojito.

Can't wait for the Bud Light CosmoTM

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

In my experience, Henny and some mixer started off as rich kids trying to look cool. Hennessy is the most expensive thing in a lot of bars, and I've got more of daddys money than anyone else in here, so I'm going to show off by drinking that poo poo with coke or cran or whatever I can mix with it to get it down. From there it snowballed and pretty quickly became the obnoxious drink of choice for any douchebag who wanted to look cool, show off how privileged they were and use their lovely drink as some sort of status symbol.

Using what you're drinking as a status symbol is the dumbest thing in the entire universe, but bars sure make a shitload of money off of it, so keep throwing money at us I guess. The whole bottle service phenomenon still cracks me up to no end. $500+ for a $50 bottle of booze on my table? WHERE DO I SIGN?!!?!

Also, American beer has a reputation for being poo poo because the only beer that's drunk all over America is poo poo. It's a real shame that no decent regional beers have the backing to go national, but really that's the only way that you're going to change anyone's perception of it. Your only hope is to try and stop everyone from drinking coors light and bud and hahaha yeah right good luck with that.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Wish I still worked in a club so I could put "Smoke and Mirrors" on the special board for $150

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Smoke and Mirrors:

1oz Absinthe dropped into
3oz Liquid Nitrogen
Garnished with a slap to the face

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

I think this sort of stuff falls under my earlier arguemnt that if you really like and appreciate a good quality cocktail, like an old fashioned or something of that ilk, then you don't ask for it in a lovely crowded bar/club. Same thing goes for super expensive scotch/cognac/whatever. Even though the barender fuckup element is taken out of pouring a single ounce of nice booze vs making a great cocktail, the chances that you're going to be able to get $100+ worth of enjoyment out of that ounce of great booze while being jostled around in a club with lovely music, is practically zero.

Here's where you're going to get your enjoyment: having everyone know that you're drinking $100+ an ounce booze and acting like it's no big deal. Even though it is a big deal to you because you desperately want everyone around to know that your casual drink is more than they're spending on their whole night.

Once again, smoke and mirrors, and a big, beautiful honeypot to catch all those dumbasses who think they're cool as poo poo for throwing money around. If you really enjoy your good quality scotch/cognac that costs a grand + a bottle, then you'll drink it with your friends on your yacht, or in your jet. Not at some lovely bar, trying to impress kids in between Katy Perry songs.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

I watched another bartender blind kick a fridge door closed behind him once while our bussers fingers were in it and then got to hear him freak out as he realized not only that he could see into his finger but that it was pretty much only hanging on by some skin.

I've also done the dumbest and most hilarious fuckup I've ever come across, to myself. If you've ever married a bottle too full, then you know what happens when you jam a speed spout into it: The excess liquid shoots straight out of that spout like a fuckin laser beam. It's cool as hell and fun for the whole family, except I'd just finished squeezing a litre of fresh lime juice and wasn't paying attention to how full the bottle was because one of my cocktail waitresses was flirting like crazy with me. So I lean forward and put all my weight into jamming this spout into the overfilled bottle of fresh squeezed citrus and inadvertently manage to position my loving eyeball directly over the spout as I apply downward pressure, unleashing the dragon of literally a million tonnes of pure citric acid in a concentrated, jet fueled laser beam, directly into my loving eyeball which was maybe hovering 4 inches above the spout.

The combination of searing pain and uncontrollable laughter somehow fused together to make it feel like some kind of bizarre trip down the rabbit hole, as i muffled my screams into my arm and cried what felt like an ocean of tears out of one eye, I suddenly realized that I wasn't alone in shedding tears and not only my cocktail waitress, but half of the rest of my staff had seen it as well and were doubled over, howling with laughter. It only made things worse that my disapproving look was one super angry looking eye, with the other one fused completely shut and unable to open because of how much citrus it had just ingested. The result being the dirtiest, most shameful crying stinkeye that has ever been seen.

So apart from dongs and fridges, steel and shins, you can also add citrus laser beams and eyeballs to the list of things that don't mix.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Coupled with the downside to leaving these degrees on, you've got to add in the upside too. Which if you're straight out going for a bartending job, there really isn't going to be many. No one's going to look at your resume and think, hmm doesn't look like he's what im aft-woah hold on a second, a philosophy degree? He's our man.

One of my other bartenders in with at the moment has a chemistry degree and he definitely mentioned it and was able to relate it to having knowledge of how and why distillation and infusion processes work, which is handy in a fine dining cocktail bar. On top of that though, he's got really solid experience, knowledge and enthusiasm about cocktails, wine and spirits in general and I think the chemistry thing was more icing on the cake than actually any kind of driving force to him getting the gig. Unless you can specifically relate your degree to the job you're going for, then in this industry I don't really think it's worth putting it on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

I already have him listed on my resume as a reference, I don't need no damned philosphy degree.

• Locked thread