Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Old Man Pants posted:

So what's the usual ring you guys at bars (not bottle service or crazy mixology spots) have rung in a shift? I hit 2200 last night and was pretty proud of myself.

This is a pointless metric without prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Remember, brown liquors get stirred clockwise, clear liquors get stirred counter clockwise.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Also, welcome back.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I've seen bars where the owners partied there, but they were completely hands off on the actual day to day operations - most non-management employees couldn't even point them out unless they'd worked there for a year or more. I worked in one of them and it was wildly successful until the smoking ban hit Houston, and then it unceremoniously died due to that and a couple other things that all happened at once (I left about 5-6 months prior).

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

navyjack posted:

I had to do the overserving dance with the Denver Vice Squad for about a year. My boss paid for my lawyer and I beat it handily once we got in front of a jury but it was no fun.

Real talk. If you get pulled for over-serving, after they read you your rights, they will try to get you to justify why you served the dude. STFU! I shut my mouth and they had nothing to go on other than the videotaped interview.

So it's just like any other offense, cops try to get you to talk? No way!

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

"Can you get me some cocaine?"

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Old Man Pants posted:

There's a cool bartender I work with who will just rattle off like 15-20 mixed drinks he knows that we can make with the ingredients we have, and then asks which one would you like

It's a lovely question, but that's a worse response unless it's a high volume place where wasted time equals lost sales. You should at least be able to take 10 seconds and ask "Beer, liquor, sour, sweet ???" to get someone started - a response like that just aggravates customers. But if it's high volume, yeah, gently caress anyone who walks up to the bar, flags down a bartender and doesn't have their order ready.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

mooyashi posted:

That's when you get a ghosting. Wave my rear end down and then turn around to your friends to figure out what you want, I'm already gone when you turn around.

Old Man Pants posted:

We're high volume, and often have lines 100 deep. If you've been standing in line for 10 minutes and still have no idea what you want, gtfo.

I have zero issue with that response in high volume - when there are 20 other people who know what they want, yeah, skip the idiot who doesn't.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Why stamps and not wristbands?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Place might be 18+ and needs to identify legal drinkers, or needs in and out privileges to accommodate smokers if there is a smoking ban. Just a couple reasons off the top of my head, I was assuming they already had bouncers and were trying to separate patrons into different groups for some reason.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

The bar I hang out apparently lost someone, and they asked if I wanted to work one or two nights a week for the time being. I know most of the customers but it seems kinda daunting at the same time. This is a huge thread, what should I look out for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

TwoStepBoog posted:

Sorry, you're right.
This is the US. Iowa, to be more specific.
I told the story to a friend whose family owns bars and he said even if it was the same liquor, you can't pour liquor from bottle to bottle.

This is generally true, marrying bottles is illegal in most places. I don't have an issue with that, personally, but it's still against the law. Pouring a cheaper liquor into a call or top shelf bottle is fraud, though. The right place to call is here: https://abd.iowa.gov/

Edit: I should say, that's almost certainly the right place to go. If it isn't, they should be able to point you in the correct direction. I would try to report it anonymously, or at least pose as a former employee rather than a current one.

• Locked thread