Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Shooting Blanks posted:

What is blue roll?

In the UK at least, it's the standard "wiping up spills" paper. It's far better than kitchen roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
I work in a bar in the City (London's financial district), and regularly make sure tabs get "tapped out" as you put it. I do it the old fashioned way though. Find out what the limit is early, and make drat sure the fuckers drink it. Even if that means suggesting "Jagerbombs?" at 10.30 to get over that last few hundred pounds.

I hate knowing there was extra budget available and not being able to drain it. I wouldn't go as far as to add extras but I can certainly understand why the temptation would be there, especially if there's a service charge based on the final bill too.

Plus it's corporate. A company is paying it, and if they don't use that £2k limit this year, it'll be smaller next year. I'd never intentionally hit a personal tab for as much as someone's happy to spend. But an office party / company card? Hmmm, sounds like Jager time guys, you still have a bit left on the tab!

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Hoops posted:

Do you mind saying which one? Or what street, maybe?

I won't put it out there in public beyond saying its a food pub near London Bridge / Monument but I sent a PM.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Tastic posted:

Well just had my first bartending shift in about a year. I got sent home early cause it was dead, said they would call me if they wanted me back basically. hosed up the one drink I made. Thing about it is, I bartended a little and barbacked a shitload at a decent bar that tried craft beers, cocktails, etc. This is a blue collar everyone knows everyone and the nicest beer there is Corona. They don't even have shakers. Also, I am the only dude bartender and I look like a hipster. There was about 5 dudes sitting at the bar, I walk in talk to the manager "Hi Im Tastic" then my glasses break. She starts talkin to me and all the guys leave. I misheard the one drink I had to make. I overthought everything and was nervous as poo poo the whole time. And to top it off, I had the worst week of my life before this. Ugh.

Don't worry. Consider it a warmup for your next, proper trial shift.

That said I've never known anyone ever do a full shift for a trial shift anyway. You always get sent home early.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

JawKnee posted:

Tomorrow I take my leave of the wood, 3:00am drinking, and all the other poo poo. I'm not out of the industry yet, stepping into a busy breakfast place to serve (no tender, and the only booze they have is vodka (for caesers), sparkling wine (for mimosas), and poo poo local beer) - closes no later than 4pm, so I can actually spend time with my 9-5 partner and friends.

Hopefully a year from now I'll be out of the industry entirely.

I'd love to work until 4 or 5pm. I'm considering leaving the trade for it. I doubt I'd have much luck looking for office roles even though I have a degree (2:2 in economics and law, 2007) so I'll probably look for management jobs in more daytime places like sandwich shops and the like. Pretty much for the same reason, I want to spend more time in the evenings with my wife.

I loving love my current job though. The venue, my colleagues, even the customers. I just don't love not being able to have a normal life, spending evenings with my wife and kids.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

If they serve it, try sipsmith.

It's really good gin.

And girly? It originated in the British army. Real girly. I bet Andy mcnab wears a bra.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

I actually prefer schweppes, or even Sainsburys sugar free tonic water, to Fevertree.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

FaceEater posted:

Been out of the game a few months now, and pretty happily so. But the other night I went into one of my favorite spots around town and they were pretty well slammed considering it was usually a dead night for them. Moreover, my usual bartender buddy was having himself a really lovely night because their draft system (normally a point of pride for this place) was completely hosed and not working, all of their main toilets were broken completely, and they looked a bit short staffed. He was busting rear end and clearly not happy with how the night was going. Can't blame him, looking at the crowd. I have myself a few, he buys me one, and I see that as the night goes on, he and the couple other dudes working are just miserably busy. I leave 'em a $20 on a $20 tab and a note that says "If you ever need a back / a hand around here on short notice, give me a ring. Also, gently caress those toilets" and my phone number.

I told a non-service worker buddy of mine this story, and he was blown away, saying, "Well you can't ever go back in there without it being awkward you know. Now that you basically applied to work there..." And I didn't think a loving thing of it prior to that. But now he put that nugget of doubt in my head. I love that bar, and hated to see those dudes clearly overworked and was offering to help should they forsee that kinda poo poo happening again and wanted an experienced hand to do whatever they needed help with.

I have every intention of going back as a customer whether I ever hear from them or not, 'cause it's frankly just a place I love to drink. Is that actually weird?

Do they know you worked in the industry before or is it a newish hangout for you?

If they know you as a barman then it's not usual, but it's not THAT unusual either. I'd consider it just a mate offering to do a solid if I was ever in the poo poo, not a job application as such.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Masonity posted:

I'd love to work until 4 or 5pm. I'm considering leaving the trade for it. I doubt I'd have much luck looking for office roles even though I have a degree (2:2 in economics and law, 2007) so I'll probably look for management jobs in more daytime places like sandwich shops and the like. Pretty much for the same reason, I want to spend more time in the evenings with my wife.

I loving love my current job though. The venue, my colleagues, even the customers. I just don't love not being able to have a normal life, spending evenings with my wife and kids.

In two weeks time I'm also stepping away from the bar scene and starting a career in food counter sales management. It's also a company known for career progression... So basically I'm getting a real, grown up career type job. Albeit not an office one.

My last shift will be a friday night, and I intend to end up moderately buzzing, but not hammered. I'll then stay for 3 or 4, but I have induction at my new place on Saturday morning. So I'll have to go back the first time I have a saturday off for a proper friday night leaving drink with everyone. That'll be a real liver breaker.

Leaving the industry hurts, as does leaving my current bar and my friends there. I'm 30 next year though, and really should be spending my evenings home with the wife and kids and not at a bar.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

So, after 10 years in and out (but mostly in) the industry, tonight is my last shift. In just over an hours time I start my final shift, and 9 hours later it'll be all over. I'm moving on to early mornings at work and evenings at home with the wife and kids.

There will definitely be drinking behind the bar tonight. I've been at my current place since the day we opened, along with 3 other people who still work there. We've probably seen something like 100 people come and go during the almost 2 years we've been together. We're all on the bar tonight, so it'll be fun. One last shift. A good number of my regulars know too, so I expect they'll be in.

As much as my new path is far better for me as a person, I'm gutted that I'm leaving such a great industry, and such a great bar. I have a "You can come back any time you like if it doesn't work out, there's always a job here for you" offer on the table though, which is nice.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Jealous? Me? I just finished a 6am-6pm shift with a box of half price donuts.

To take back to my old pub tonight in exchange for free drinks I hope. Another one of the originals is leaving tonight, a week after I did. She's heading to Australia though so its slightly different I guess.

There's plenty I miss already. Especially at 4am when my alarm goes off for an early. But then finishing a close and still walking through my front door in time to see my kids makes it all worth it.

And in January, once my training is over and I'm in my own shop, 10% of all takings over target will make up for the lack of tips too. I was in the UK where we're all tight bastards anyway!

I have an open offer to go back to my old pub any time though. So there's still a chance I'll be back there and here in the future.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

number one pta fan posted:

I quit bartending for life in October and I already have a new bartending job. What is wrong with me?

My sympathies and/or congratulations. I also left the lifestyle in October, but I'm still out. I have to admit that during my rougher days I've considered taking my old boss up on her "always a place for you here if you change your mind" offer.

This will be a better life for me and my family though, so I'm staying strong. No more coming home from work to a sleeping house for me.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

The Slippery Nipple posted:

Question for UK bartenders, as an Aussie you hear alot about how its easy to get a job behind a bar in the UK by being Australian. Is this true? If I roll into England with a work visa, a charming Aussie accent and 2 years experience bartending how likely am I to get a job? Wouldn't mind being barback just need money to fuel my European adventures.

Where in England?

If you are basing yourself anywhere near central London I'd say it'd be almost that easy. Be prepared for £6 an hour and no real tips to speak of though.

Obviously have enough money to survive a month or so without the job too. It's there, but may take a few weeks to find.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

The Slippery Nipple posted:

Jesus, £6 is a bit rough, but I guess cost of living is a lot lower. I'm thinking London, but I'm not sure of the logistics of living in the city and earning enough to actually put some away. I have more than enough money to do my Europe trip, I kinda just wanted to experience the UK while earning. I'm assuming there's a UK thread somewhere, I'll ask more questions there.

If you are happy to flat share I'm sure it's doable.

I can also give you a tip on a great pub that will be hiring for the summer (last year we were doing £30k days) which pays £6.50-£7 an hour plus service. And the service was usually around £2-£4 an hour. So up to double other places wages. I'm not working there now though so I can't really pull a favour to get you an interview. I can give you all the tips to have a great chance though. Unfortunately it's likely to still come down to if they are hiring precisely when you go in and / or who's working (and if they like the look of you) though.

There are ways to live cheaply in London though. A flat share in a student area should be around £100-£150 a week I think. Add in £30 or so travel and £70 food and that's around £200-£250 a week. If you got in at my old place then 25-30 hours would cover that after tax with any extra hours going into the have fun kitty.

At a lovely £6 an hour place 30-40 would probably just keep you afloat

Masonity fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jan 4, 2014

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Sheep-Goats posted:

Hey wow I forgot about "Nawt so much ice!"

Yeah. Can't beat the good old "Not so much ice, I don't want my drink watered down!"

Sometimes I miss the industry. Then I remember the "not so much ice"ers.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Slaapaav posted:

I barely get a hangover after getting blackout drunk on mixed rum drinks with lots of ice in them, is it all the water?

You actually drink less water if you have lots of ice in your drink.

They keep the drink colder. Less ends up melting. And because they take up space, you have less mixer in there. So the alcohol to mixer ratio is higher.

More ice means a colder, stronger drink.

Maybe it's all the sugar in the mixers (cola?) that causes your extra bad hangover when you are ice-shy?

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

JawKnee posted:

fresh citrus juices are a nice complement to rums I've found, also things like brown sugar or maple syrup. Get real ginger beer if you can too.

Yeah you really can't go wrong with a bit of Havana, (I'm also European), a bit of freshly squeezed lime, a bit of sugar syrup (or sugar dissolved in a tiny bit of hot water, then cooled) and some ice to shake over.

You can then either have it as is (a proper, authentic Daiquiri) or add some fizzy water/soda and some mint leaves that have been slapped against the back of your hand (not mushed, just whacked a few times against your hand to release the oils)along with WHOLE ice cubes (not crushed poo poo) and have a proper Cuban Mojito.

If you like your rum and ginger, switch to either a dark rum or an aged Havana (I'm a fan of the seven or the Reserva). Squeeze a lime in to the ginger, mix it, then float the rum on top. Dark & Stormy technically needs a dark rum, but the aged Havanas are an interesting play on it, and not that different to what you are used to.

edit: I'll always go 3:2:1 with rum:lime:syrup as a general rule, but it's ultimately down to taste. Get it right with a Daiquiri first, then it'll be nicely balanced for the Mojito when you add mint and soda, or for the fancy fruit Daiquiris you might be tempted to play around with.

some people go for twice as much rum or half as much lime/syrup as I do, but I like mine really fruity.

Masonity fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 17, 2014

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Slaapaav posted:

I usually get the 7 because in norway its prized mostly by alcohol content so you should always buy decent stuff because even the shittiest booze is expensive as gently caress.

Try reserva too then if you can. It's the step up from 7. My last bottle was only £15 in duty free at heathrow heading out to Norway but it's usually around £25-30 while 7 is more £20-£25.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Why not just give a numbered card with each tab? It even works with multiple bars! You have a card book behind each bar. a1-a99 or 701-799 for the first bar, b1 or 801 for the second and so forth. No tab card, no drinks added to that tab unless you knew the people and their tab. Easy to find cards at the end as they go in to the book where the tab card comes out. You can even work it around table numbers if you have them so 100s is section 1, 400s is tabs, etc.

Then again I used this with a pos system. Keeping manual tabs this way could be a touch harder I guess, rather than pinning bills to the card or whatever you guys do.

• Locked thread