Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
The owner picked "sexy 60s playboy zombie" as our Halloween theme. Already gave my notice, if they give me a hard time about showing up in a bathrobe and passing on the face paint I suppose that's their problem, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Dear everybody who will pre game at house parties then show up a sloppy, costumed mess at my bar: comic con is over. gently caress Halloween.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

It is last call on a holiday not celebrated by the federal government. I'm eleven hours on and six days left on my notice. No fucks given, none asked.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Shooting Blanks posted:

Dude do you ever have fun?

What is this "fun" of which you speak? I come here not to praise fun, but to bury it.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I feel like this belongs in the poo poo that didn't happen thread, but some joker asked me for that 2 days ago. I'd read the joke somewhere on the forums, made him exactly that and he was really happy that someone got it. I was blown away at the time that an SA thing had gone mainstream so fast, but I guess it was just a facebook thing that got reposted here.
That was a joke here in New York a few days before the storm. Pretty sure it was the low hanging fruit of disaster jokes.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Credit cards are just a fact of life going forwards, so set your minimum wherever the interchange fee fucks you the least vs. a number that is attainable for customers (like two drinks). Let the stupid work themselves out, and ignore the minimum on Friday and Saturday nights if you don't have time to say "normally we ask a $xxty minimum, but since I didn't warn you when you opened your tab, I'll waive it this time". That worked well for me in a high volume situation in Brooklyn, which is still a fairly cash town.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

nrr posted:

Well the reason for a minimum is that it takes too long to run cards in your system, so ignoring the minimum on busy nights wouldn't work because thats when you need it most.

Yeah, everywhere I've ever worked that had a minimum had it because of the interchange fees the companys charge for processing the transaction. Each transaction carries its own fee, rather than being levied on the batch, is my understanding. It certainly does slow service down to process each drink on a credit card, no question, and I've never been (un?)fortunate enough to work anywhere that gave out drinks for girls flashing you. Fact, I don't think I've ever been flashed, but I have come close to offering to take a girl around to the staff lounge during service.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Perdido posted:

And since we're on the topic of credit cards, a hearty gently caress you to the rich little kid who kept paying for each of his Smirnoff Ices individually with a credit card all night and then stiffed me for every single drink.

Anybody that lovely is cut off, whether you 86 him or not.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

I shouldn't need to say this, but yeah, You deserved that. Why would you be a prick just because they're being difficult? I mean, if they're picking fights, let your manager serve them.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Dirnok posted:

I really want to invent a soda gun that pushes water out as fast or faster than everything else. Not only would I be rich, I would be in the debt of every bartender on the planet and never have to pay for a drink again.

Maybe if you pressurized it, with carbon dioxide? And then the resulting water would have bubbles in it!

So I'm doing the open for a new place in two weeks and the fear is finally starting to sink in just as everybody tells me I'm doing a great job, we're getting good press, etc. I know it's just nerves, but oof I'm gonna wake up one day and be like "welp you're a schmuck and everybody knows it, good luck getting another gig in this town" and then give up and go to law school (gently caress that I competed in a Manhattan competition last night, my homie won $1500 and I got lit and a liter of good bourbon, I love my job).

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

nrr posted:

We did a clarified tomato consume, mixed with a lemon and worchester consume then mixed that with vodka. Then a spice mix for the rim that we put around the base of the vines as if it was soil, to rim the glasses in front of the customers. Turns out that no, you can't just inject any kind of decent amount of stuff into a tomato because they're already pretty plump and firm and just split with even a small amount of extra liquid. We figured out a way to extract the insides of the tomatoes so that we could then replace it with booze. I think we were all pretty firm in our solidarity that we would never ever try and undertake something so stupid ever again.

Fiddly, sure, but awesome doesn't have a price.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

As in, I don't give a royal gently caress what I put in my body to get hosed up, maybe.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

FaceEater posted:

Home on a Friday night because it's so dead that I would feel like I'm literally stealing from the staff that's supposed to be there from 7 PM til close.

God willing it picks up in the next hour and I get to go in. :( I need to eat.
Protip: better that everyone loses than just you. Over staffing sucks but its your job, g. Get the money.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Are you support or relief? I learned real quick to take care of my staff when you're high up in the points. If you're relief it's a different game but still, dolla dolla bill, yo.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Trial and error has taught me to be as specific as possible when engaging private clients, so I don't show up unprepared.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

SG is an EMT, so I'd really trust his advice.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Your perceptions are probably correct. You should insist on more pay for more responsibility, certainly.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

In the middle of opening and I can really do without the panic attacks, thanks.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

I survived a 16 hour day only to find out that the only beer left in my fridge is some half-rear end flying fish seasonal. Happy New Year, let's spend tomorrow drinking to forget tonight.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

My loving friends just came home rolling face and now I can't sleep even though my body is screaming please god no, hello whiskey.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Choom Gangster posted:

In my nightclub days, I've broken up around a hundred fights I'd say. Everything from minor scuffles to full-on ear slicing and gun pulling. Fights are stupid, but apples to assholes, every time one broke out at our club, me and my barbacks were there first. Security guys will through you out, barbacks will gently caress you up.

Anyway, I've left that behind, consigning myself to explaining to my customers that I know my bar was on Food & Wine's Ten Best of 2012 and dreaming of Jack Rose milkshakes after work.

Don't y'all have a cocktail week coming up?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Last night I almost had to restrain two bartenders from starting a fight with a group of middle aged bankers. At Saxon and Parole. At
6pm. Yesterday got weird.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

SubponticatePoster posted:

Here's an article about a bar designed around the bartender:

So the next time someone is telling you they want you to come work for them, tell them OK as long as you get to completely redesign the bar.

Those guys are total rockstars and went from multiple consulting and management gigs to opening their own place, and they did it right. As right as you possibly can; they hired kitchen consultants to maximize service. Did that infographic point out the foot pedal operated sinks and the tool bucket with gently bubbling water which meets health code for food equipment stoarge? I've gone on record as saying they're piloting a starship into the future of liquor, and I mean it. The article doesn't do justice to how well laid out they are for a service; the Kold-Draft is behind a curtain between the point bartender and the service station, so no one has to leave the floor for ice. Easily the best bar I've been to in years, and I say that with a full mix of admiration and envy. Oh, and the drinks loving kill.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

I've used tamarind and tequila for a psuedo-margarita for the right crowd.

Shoe-wise, I just picked up a pair of red wings, super excited to break them in. Then again, I do more management than bartending these days, but I've got Sunday/Monday to do my thing with the tins.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

fuzzy_logic posted:

Am I a dick if I constantly specify that I want all my poo poo down, even if it's served up (ok I can see that's kinda confusing)?

No, because it's your drink and you wants it how you wants it. That said, putting drinks up as opposed to on the rocks is a question of balance. On a rock or four, your Manhattan is going to continue diluting, though it'll stay cold. If you put it up, it stays just as balanced, with more notes of the vermouth and bitters coming through as it gets warmer (unless, like me, you don't give it time to warm up). That said, I have no idea where the strain of macho "don't put my cocktail in that girly glass because I'm insecure about how other people perceive my choices" comes from.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Shoechat: I rock a pair of Red Wings on the rec of the BoH thread here. I know the Employees Only crew wears clogs at work, which are solid, but I prefer more ankle support and need the serious non-slip when I'm running down the backstairs in a kitchen to juice more ginger.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Denver?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

MC Eating Disorder posted:

I either made it to the next round of world class or I told a random woman from diageo WAY too much about my dick

Or? Why does it have to be or?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Choom Gangster posted:

Adding love for Hay Merchant, I know some of their employees and they are doing things right.

I used to barback a night club; the biggest and most popular in Tucson. This nightclub happens to be retrofitted into the first floor of the Hotel Congress, and building that was completed in 1919. It was a great barbacking experience, because it was quite possibly the worst laid out bar in the history of such blunders. There are three primary bars, with two secondary smaller bars. None of them have dishwashers, only two have triple sinks and two have keg refrigerators. That's right, keg refrigerators, not lines from an independent keg walk in. So, when the club was packed and a keg blew, it meant the barback going into a back prep room where the beer walk in was, shouldering a nigh 200lb half barrel (against all OSHA code and any common sense but because the bar was so narrow, and of course 42" tall), walking through a club full of 900-1200 people a distance of 500-1000' and switching it out at the bar. Rinse, repeat.

Yeah, get a walk in.

Motherfuckin P.I.M.P.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Day 3/5. 16 hrs/day. Close to 1k heads/day. More than 5k cocktails, in several formats, including shaken, stirred, and two kinds of on tap batched and ready to roll. My crew is all OG NYC cocktail, and I'm gonna pay my rent three times on this check, after taxes. gently caress sleep, gently caress 1099s, and gently caress death. This is what I live for.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Everything is trainable except being a big dude who wants to keep everybody from having a bad time (read: breaking the law or breaking stuff).

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Runamok!

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

MondayHotDog posted:

I've never been cut off at a bar, but I did come close one night. My coworker and I came into our regular bar late one night, totally hosed up. We're cool with the bartender, we order two beers, and he comes back with two rocks glasses full of beer. I finished half of mine before going home. Ever do this to anyone? Do the regulars get a longer leash with the cutoff than new customers?

Regulars are expected to know how to behave themselves. The shorties were a good hint that y'all could go ahead and 86 yourselves for the night, while still being welcome.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

doginapot posted:

A friend is opening a USBG chapter where I'm at. What's the ins and outs of it? Does it have any value, or is it more of an "Absolut presents: A Social Club"?

50/50 depending on your crowd. Joining the USBG kick started my career because I met the right people. But that's NYC. still, $100/yr is nothing compared to national connections. PM me if you want to get more specific.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Speed Rack finals last night. Everything hurts and why did melodie draw a heart on my chest and oh god there are photos...

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Speaking of bar backing, I'm on my way to pinch hit at one of the August temples to cocktails for my friends. Remember: you don't do favors. You collect debts.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

First shift at a new spot, I feel slow and old. And I don't know where anything is. And my back hurts. Get off my lawn!

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

nrr posted:

Due to having a crazy, eccentric owner, one of the best things is that he's got these long, ongoing fueds with certain companies/distributors. One of which happens to be Diageo.

Having beef with Diageo is like feuding with the moon, hth. :radcat:

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Tiki supremacy. I'm dipping off tomorrow to mothers because Bacardi is sponsoring the show. Where are you that tiki runs a whole concept?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Sheep-Goats posted:

Is there a good tiki bar in NYC? Please don't say Painkiller because I've been there three times and the space is horrible and the staff has let me down two of those times even when I was willing to put up with the space.

I've been to Reunion too but that's more surf than tiki and the crowd is a little bland.

Alas, PKNY went seriously downhill after a while. Tonight (every Monday), Brian miller and his band of pirates takes over a place and runs tiki Monday with a guest bartender or two. Tonight it's the Bacardi crew, 6-8 pm. Plus no one needs to drink tiki more than once a week, and if you do, otto's shrunken head has your back.

• Locked thread