Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coldfire
Apr 21, 2009
Oh Thread! How I've missed you!

My 2 cents worth on a couple of things, a update on myself and some photos, beacuse gently caress it, I can.

The argument between mixologist and bartender: as far as I'm aware there are different levels of skill when it comes to a bartender, from pulling beers to molecular / barrel aging / whatever fad has taken over the cocktail scene. A mixologist is simply a title to take to your boss to try and get paid more. I don't think one person in my city that I know of would willingly call themselves a mixologist without their tongue firmly implanted in their cheek.
Safety shots in some bars are a necessity, always have a bottle under the well that got written up on raw wastage for those moments where it'd be safer to have a shot and have a smoke then make another 6 mojitos and 4 old fashions in 2 orders, peak service.

Out of curiosity; what are your go to shots? Someone got their scowl on at me the other day for enjoying a shot of Jim Beam White, and I realized it was a bit of a guilty pleasure to drink well spirits over back bar during service.

I'd also be interested to hear about how many of our cocktail bartenders on SA have won/ entered/ are entering competitions, whether global, or brand based.

The management side of things is interesting at the moment, it feels 80% babysitting and 20% bartending at the moment, so the tips are even worse at the moment. The venue that I work is on the corner of the busiest street in the "entertainment disctrict" of this city, and we've been reopen for 2 months now, unfortunately I'm not getting the numbers I'd like to, but I'm getting the clientelle that I'd like. Waiting game I guess!

Anyway; Coldfire: Cocktail bar manager

When I'm not in a bar somewhere, I'm usually shooting, the yin to my bartender yang. So have a few photos

Quick and dirty shot of the new bar

28ml jiggers! Yay!

One of the restaurant boys just learned how to make a Harvard

Small staff training

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldfire
Apr 21, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjn0Ni6g1kM
poo poo Brand Ambassadors say

Only found this video this week but had a great cackle at it.

Coldfire
Apr 21, 2009
$550 floats, 3 tills for a 3 well, 6 bartenders, grossing 22k average on a Saturday night

Coldfire
Apr 21, 2009

Kial posted:

The going rate is around 20-21 an hour (in NSW anyways). Plus "casual loading" if you work at night (lol), time and a quarter when you work on Saturday (usually around 23-24) and time and a half on Sundays (26-27). Sexy stuff!

Public Holidays? Double time and a half! 50 an hour! Crazy!
This is very true for hotels in QLD but not so much for clubs, I've worked one bar that paid award and double time and all that jazz but most of time you're looking at 20-22p/h. When I was managing I was only on 25. You don't bartend for the money, you tend for the stories and the love of it.

New Years, what are you guys planning to do? Most of us will be working but is there something special you're doing? All the bar staff at the current joint are planning on jumping up on the backbar, grabbing a bottle of their favourite and going a big old layback. I'm going to bring in my brûlée torch and some spiritus and let out a big fireball on the dot of 12. I know our backbacks read this thread a fair bit, so don't tell boss man!

Coldfire
Apr 21, 2009

MC Eating Disorder posted:

I saw my boss sabre a magnum of Moët,missing my head by an inch, and the greenest bartender blow a loving fireball over the dance floor gently caress you 2012

Username: whatever that blew the fireball almost clocked out of pre-close entirely based on the fact that he had taken his shirt off at some point and passed out smoking a cigarette out back but heroically managed to close a bar to a fairly professional extent despite the fact that he had apparently lost his shirt at some point

I'm not green. I've been bouncing around bars for a while dude. Old traditions die hard, like the "gently caress-this-night-shirts-off-close".

What a night. I know for sure that there was alot of coke around venues that night. The biggest nightclub cracked 260k revenue. It well and truly heaved. If I did't have to open tommorrow, I'd be drunk right now, but I might save that free pass for a rainy day.

The only photo that I managed to get off a regular after blowing ethanol at a blowtorch at 12.

Happy respite bartenders. Get some whisky in ya'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldfire
Apr 21, 2009

MC Eating Disorder posted:

I either made it to the next round of world class or I told a random woman from diageo WAY too much about my dick

That suntory training sounded like alot of fun then. Had a few popped in after, ended up 86'ing one of the boys. Have you heard back about world class yet? I recieved a mysterious call at 11:30am that I'm hoping was from Sydney, but I don't wanna kid myself. Here's to drinking the remainder of my world class premix!

• Locked thread