Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urZf_7NuFvg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
The watermelon garnish at the end was completely unexpected and hilarious.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Anyone in New Zealand?

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Late to the footwear discussion, but I'm a big fan of Blundstones.

Had a manager recommend them to me years ago and they've worked out quite well for me.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Just found out our new GM has experience in New York. Quite excited to be working with him and getting a sense of American protocols. :dance:

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Perdido posted:

Just found out our new GM has experience in New York. Quite excited to be working with him and getting a sense of American protocols. :dance:

Guess I should be asking about 'regime changes.'

Anyone been through one at the place they worked at? I know that some of the manager types have been brought in to revitalize things at bars, so I'm curious what you guys are looking at from existing staff besides obvious poo poo (are they stealing, getting drunk/too drunk on shift, etc.), how common clearing house is, that sort of thing.

The GM I was talking about above is basically revamping everything and we're all getting fired and re-hired and 'starting from scratch.' He's made comments that are making me worry that it's going to be a wholesale slaughter, as he seems to be skewing towards bringing in Ken and Barbie doll types.

For background, our previous GM (who is part of the owner's family) is still hanging on, but is moving to admin. New guy seems awesome and I'm really interested in wanting to learn from a guy with the wealth of expertise that he's got, but I'm worried as hell that I'm on borrowed time.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Shooting Blanks posted:

You're in Canada, right? I don't know anything about employment law in Canada, unfortunately, but that sounds shady as hell. If he just said everyone is starting from scratch, that would be fair - but the "fire and rehire" sounds discomforting at best, and illegal at worst. Do you have to reinterview and reapply for your current job? If so, that's a bad sign, even if you are absolutely guaranteed employment. If the situation is more along the lines of "Everyone can consider yourselves fired and rehired as of this moment, your past means nothing, nor does it matter how long you've been employed here," that's less worrisome.

I would ask the new guy for clear, consistent direction from day 1 on what he expects, and that he notify you of anything he is or becomes aware of that needs to be corrected. Bringing in Barbie and Ken types is drat common, for better or worse (better if they are also competent bartenders and replace current, less competent employees, and worse if they are incompetent bartenders).

Something else to be aware of is that a lot of GMs who are new to a place need to make their impact felt immediately, or at least give off that impression to bring back in line any good staff who have strayed due to lax standards under previous management. Be cautious, keep your head down and do your job.

Right now he's in 'observation' mode and is going to be redoing all of our training manuals and stuff. I get that, part of the issue with the place I work at is that we (as a group of employees) are not the greatest with customer service. Some people are pretty comfortable with their positions (having been working at this particular bar for 8+ years, or having been really cozy with the previous management crew) and have a don't give a gently caress attitude towards their job. I'm positive he wants to put his own flourishes on things and nail in some specific customer service stuff -- one of the things I notice when I'm down in the States is how great service industry staff is compared to similar staff in places I go in Canada.

Some of the 'red flags' have been things like his comment about the firing/rehiring thing, asking for everyone to send their resumes in, saying that he wants us to get gym passes for everyone (the implication that I took being that some of our staff are overweight...which is true) and some of his new hires are essentially pretty faces that have been through our joint before.

quote:

Oh, and above all else - DO NOT get stuck in a knitting circle of employees gossiping about what each of you has heard about/from the new GM WRT what he'll do, or what will happen. Only the worst rumors come out, and it will sour you on working under him, whether or not it's justified.

It's amazing how negative a lot of the staff are getting about things. I'm trying to be positive (while still saying I'm nervous as hell) but everything the new GM has asked of us (to submit a mandatory 10 person guestlist for last Thursday and asking people to send their resumes to him) has been met by a rather 'who the gently caress is this guy and who does he think he is?' reaction from a small contingent of staff.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Clarification: he's wanting to get some perks for employees, including health/dental coverage and gym passes. The unspoken implication I took out of his comment is that some of the people aren't that great looking...especially since every girl he's hired (or wanted to hire) was a bleached blonde, faux tan big tits type.

And I'm surprised that the guestlist thing is being met with negativity on here. I think it makes sense -- you want to be drawing in people who are spending money at your bar and are filling up your bar. I do think it's a little unreasonable to expect people to bring people in on weekdays specifically, but having a weekly guestlist quota isn't unreasonable, in my mind. I try to promote my bar and get people to come out when I can. I'm no Doug Quinn, but I've built up a smallish following with our crowd by networking.

Also, Sheep, I PM'd you, but just got an empty quote bounced back.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Well that new GM just got fired. I guess some habits are hard to break when coming from Vegas.

Course I'm on the other side of the country getting gloriously drunk.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

I was a fan of Herbs and Rye when I was last in Vegas.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/herbs-and-rye-las-vegas

Also, you may want to try the Vegas thread and/or PM JaySB, as he works in Vegas and is solid with his recommendations.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3419635

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

SubponticatePoster posted:

This. As ID's get more sophisticated and harder to fake they get someone else's real ID.

Hahaha.

quote:

Do you get any specialized training on recognizing discrepancies between the photo on the ID and the person's face?

Eye color is usually the biggest. I've caught a couple of people with fakes because their eye colors didn't match with the ID provided.

Typically, my joint will ask for a secondary form of ID (birth certificate, health card or other esoteric forms, such as baptismal certificate, firearm license, Native status card, etc.) and/or ask the person in question to sign their name for them three times to see if it matches the signature.

If we're still not convinced, we ask the patron if they could bring up their phone and go into their Facebook page. Anyone under the age of 18 these days has a smart phone and a Facebook account. :v:

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

PT6A posted:

Yeah, I think it's ultimately because, even if there is a drinking age and someone manages to finally give a poo poo, it'll be the person trying to pass a fake ID who gets in the most trouble (as it should be). Why should bartenders and (in the case of tobacco) retail employees be responsible for determining the validity of increasingly-realistic IDs, under the threat of really harsh punishments if they screw up? More honest people are going to get turned away, and inevitably some number of fakes will still get through. It seems like enforcement is going about it all wrong.

Up here in our neck of the woods, the issue is whether you are taking the steps to try and identify someone and are reasonably trying to prevent the sale or consumption of alcohol by minors, not whether or not you're the fake ID police. The liquor board (again, in my neck of the woods) is aware that fakes are ridiculously good, but if you aren't bothering to check their ID at all, well, you aren't doing your job as required by law.

Two situations that happened at my bar:

- Bartender working a corner bar gets a group of youngsters. Unsure, he IDs the group of them, checks their IDs and then proceeds to serve them. Liquor inspector happened to be in and was doing random spot checks on IDs that day. He comes by this table, nails a girl with a fake and writes the bar up. Bar gets a chance to plead their case, show video of the bartender IDing the group, points out that the girl's fake was really good. Result? No fine, and the bartender was ruled to have done his job.

- Another guy on a slow Wednesday during Spring Break gets a group of youngsters in. He doesn't bother to ID them, turns out that they were working undercover for the liquor inspector. Bar gets fined, guy loses his job.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Coohoolin posted:

I once had a dream I moved to the US and began bartending there. People flocked from far and wide to hear me explain in thick Doric why 80 Shilling is way better than Export and you can gently caress off and do one if you want a cocktail, here's a lager tops ya fanny. Whisky coke? Straight or soda, nothing else. Shut up, fitbaw's on, listen to me explain why John Terry's such a prick.

It was a nice dream.

YO I JUST WANT A JAGER BOMB

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

rorty posted:

What are the go to questions to ask when starting at a new place? For barbacks and bartenders.

For barbacks, you need to know where poo poo is. Everything. Find out where the kegs are kept (one place I worked at had 90% of their kegs in one room in the basement, but three of their draft lines for some inexplicable reason were behind a fake wall upstairs next to the kitchen), where dry storage is (straws, rags, extra glassware, etc.), where liquor is kept, where the pop bibs are at, where the ice machine is, where garbage goes if you need to empty a garbage, etc. You basically need to be able to get everything taken care of ASAP if the bartender needs something, and being able to locate it effortlessly helps a ton.

Don't ask about pouring, how long it takes to be a bartender or anything like that. Learn what drink specials are for the joint, what sidework needs to get done early on and any other preparations that need to be done. EG, .25 draft night vs. $2 highball night. You'll be running around doing different poo poo for both of those, so it's important to know what's going on when.

Can't think of anything really a bartender should be asking, beyond basic poo poo like 'what's the house tipout?'

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

nrr posted:

Due to having a crazy, eccentric owner, one of the best things is that he's got these long, ongoing fueds with certain companies/distributors. One of which happens to be Diageo. So here we are in Canada, a great bar with a pretty solid selection of liquors (especially whiskey) except we don't have crown royal. Ruh Roh. Now most people when they hear that will look a little confused but take us up on a suggestion of one of our multiple other rye whiskeys. Some people get a little miffed, some people get kind of pouty, but the best are the lovely wannabe gangsters up from south Vancouver who get super pissy when they can't get crown as if it's the best whiskey ever and when you tell them you don't even carry it, you can see their brain slowly write a thought out across the inside of their skull: "gently caress. I thought this place was fuckin classy." Yeah I know, right? Fuckin tragedy. Now what're you gonna mix with your lovely ginger ale?! "Look, just give me a fuckin coors light then, bro."

Ahahahah, I get the same thing, but with Jack Daniels (because the local JD rep is a huge rear end in a top hat and the three major nightclubs in town are basically in bloodfeud mode now) and Jamesons (because gently caress making Irish car bombs.)

People lose their minds when I tell them we don't carry Jack Daniels. "What do you mean," they exclaim, as though I told them I beat my children, "you don't have Jack?"

Like, I'm really sorry, but I'm sure Seagrams will go just fine with your Red Sour Puss shot.

PittTheElder posted:

So do any of you bartenders out there have any feelings about the rather narrow beer selection that appears in most North American pubs and bars? Beginning a few years ago a couple new bars opened up in downtown Calgary, of the 'German Beer' and '100 Beers on Tap' variety. Which has been amazing, but now that I've absolutely fallen in love with wheat beers, hefeweizens, and the like, I find myself growing increasingly disgruntled about my inability to find even one of the type in the average North American suburban bar. Even in the places downtown, they're still something of a niche.

My go to choice would be a Konig Ludwig, but I'd happily settled for an Erdinger. Even Kronenbourg Blanc on tap would be great really. But in the mean time I shall settle for a Rickard's White (which is actually Blue Moon outside of Canada I guess?), though it's a poor substitute.

1, sounds like you'd enjoy Wurst if you don't already.

2, you should check out Willow Creek Wines & Spirits. They do a lot of events relating to beer, and they can order in stuff if there's a specific niche that fits. They have an AB craft beer festival next Thursday (costs $25) which I'd love to go to if I wasn't working a full Stampede schedule. Really curious about the place that opened right down by the grounds some brewery/restaurant joint.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Animal-Mother posted:

What I mean is that I think he's trying to go to an expensive "bartending school" that the OP advises one to avoid.

Tell him anything that can be taught at one of those places can be learnt from this:

http://www.thebartendersblackbook.com/

For like $15.

The main thing with bartending classes is all they do is teach you cocktail recipes, and not much else. He'd be far better served barbacking or working as a server, getting a feel for the industry and what he likes (high volume, fine dining, pubs, etc.) and then making connections and networking...getting to know people in the industry as well as the regulars who frequent whatever joint you're working at.

Bartending classes won't do that. If he has anxiety about learning how to pour, buy a bottle of vodka (or rye or whatever), get some pour spouts and practice timing (if you aren't in a place that legally requires jiggers) and gently caress around with recipes and poo poo. Go out and drink and learn.

Figure out why he feels he needs to go to one of those places, and we'd probably be better able to articulate an argument against doing so.

Unrelated, I've been working non-stop since last Tuesday and regularly coming home at 6AM in the loving morning. My next day off is next Monday (big festival up here that is basically our busiest time of year has us open 7 days a week from 11am-2am.) I'd love any recommendations people have on killing off workplace stress/anger towards customers, because I'm feeling I'm reaching my boiling point. Safety meetings 100% out of the question, as I work in a completely dry bar.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

GrahamBLY posted:

Any bartender worth their salt will instantly recognize and appreciate the work of a good barback. You have no idea how many shifts are absolutely struggled through with a lovely or disinterested back where the bartender is wishing all night long that their favorite back was with them.

Hahaha, yup. Our place is currently in a bit of a turnover with our BAs, complicated by the fact that 2 of our most 'senior' (and I use that term in the loosest sense possible) are friends of the family. One is a lazy as poo poo guy who does the bare minimum to scrape by, while the other one is an entitled poo poo who wears CCCO shirts and who feels he should be bartending 4 months into working at the place we're at.

quote:

I'm working a high volume club right now where I am the only male tender and the backs are universally abused by the female staff who are too good to do basically anything that isn't scoop money off the bar or sometimes make drinks. I have seen these guys get ridiculous "favors" asked of them, which they always do either out of fear of being screamed at, or because the girls are pretty, I couldn't say.

What kind of favours? As someone who worked at a viper's den of female bartenders for a while, I'm curious what this entails.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

N/A beer, too.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Coco13 posted:

What's wrong with water or Diet Coke? If you're at a bar and people are giving you poo poo about not drinking, they're the one with problems, not you.

It's a (very, very mild) annoyance when people come up and apologize for asking for a glass of water or a coke because they're the DD or because it's loving hot.

If you're going to treat me like Gunga loving Din, yeah, I'll be annoyed, but I don't give a poo poo if you're a DD looking for the odd pop or glass of water. I loving encourage it, actually.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Tychtrip posted:

I'm one of those guys who'll get a glass of water every 2 or so drinks because I'm a pussy who's terrified of hangovers. Seems to work, although I often get weird looks from bartenders.

I don't get hangovers because I'm spending half my night drinking water or in the WC.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

JawKnee posted:

Vancouver isn't really one of the 'bigger' cities, just the closest to the mountains (besides North Vancouver, technically it's own district, but part of the GVRD). We only have 603k people (based on the 2011 census in the city proper, and I think that jumps to about 1.2 million if you look at the GVRD).

You'll have missed the september hiring push probably (which should be just about over by this point). There should be seasonal staffing coming up closer to December, and then business jumps off a cliff in January.

How is the nightclub scene in Van? I may potentially have a line on a place out there and am debating taking a jump.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

JawKnee posted:

I've never worked the club scene here, as it doesn't interest me, but I'll tell you what I can based on friends/coworkers. Most of the nightclubs are centered on the downtown core Granville street area, though there are a few other areas (Davie street for the gay clubs, some of the sketchier ones on Main street, and in the last 5 years there are a number of new or renovated clubs down in Gastown, as well as other areas like Commercial drive). Liquor laws are fairly prohibitive here, but beginning to relax in the last year or so. I'm a little shaky on exact hour deadlines, some clubs are open until 3am (but absolutely none later than that), most close a little earlier I think. A lot of club/douchey sportsbar type venues here are owned by the Donnelly Group, which have had a nasty habit of buying up decent independent joints that get popular, keeping the name and otherwise turning them into the same lovely club/bar (eg. Library Square, The Modern (which I believe is now defunct, shock of shocks), The Lamplighter).

Outside of a few niche joints I don't really like the clubbing scene here, too much lovely beer/cocktails and loud terrible music :corsair:

Besides that Vancouver is an expensive city to live in, with little in the way of trades besides a middling tech community, the service industry and a tourism industry bolstered by the mountains, and of course our speculative housing industry; so be prepared to probably spend significantly more on rent than you were in Calgary, unless you were in the downtown core or something. As for the people, it's really a mixed bag in the best (and worst) of ways. Lots of rich yuppies living it up, a fair hipster independent crowd bolstered by two universities, and a somewhat steady stream of tourists (much much better in the summer, obviously, though the winter does have its draw). Also we're a fairly multicultural city, so unless you're stuck in suburban hell somewhere you're going to see all kinds of folks.

Yeah, I'm getting to be a little grey in the beard, so I've been thinking about more long term plans. I think the cash is too good at my current gig to risk it on floating to a club out there where I don't really know anyone, but if stuff relating to my degrees/training crops up, who knows?

Thanks for the answer. Sounds a lot like Calgary's (non-existent) club scene, just replace the Donnely Group with PLE.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Successful places tend to have people in them.

Bit of a dick answer, but if the place is busy, they're holding special events and are drawing a crowd, that bar is successful. Go and scope out wherever the places are, and get a feel for them.

Two questions for the thread:

What's the worst you've seen drinking/the industry take a toll on someone, physically?

Also, what's your dumbest/stupidest customer ever? Don't have anything really here, but I'm curious if anyone's had any memorable idiot moments.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

I loving haaaaaaaaate cheap draft nights.

We used to do .25, then .50, then .75, then $1 draft nights and they attracted nothing but the cheap college kid crowd.

:downs: *holds up $5 bill* "How many beers can I get with this?"

"....five."

:downs: "Cool! It's all I got!"

Thankfully we don't do them anymore.

Alaska sounds like hell. I thought Alberta was horrible with their liquor laws, but Jesus.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Every bar I think has a guy (or two) like that. Sounds a lot like an ex-regular we had. We used to stock a special rum just for him, and he proceeded to gently caress one of the bartenders over, as well as one of our other regulars (he was living with him at the time and apparently secured a lien against the other regular's house) before disappearing into the aether.

I also hate the 'OH HEY I'M A BARTENDER GUYS' line that gets dropped by people (who invariably ran the drinks cart at the golf course or worked as a server at Local Chain Restaurant.) I hate doing it myself when I go out. I don't get why people do that poo poo. If you're industry, we'll get to know you.

Perdido fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Sep 26, 2013

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

It's 2:30.

:downs: "Can I get 2 Bud Lights?"

"Nope."

:downs: "You're turning down money!??!"

"Yeah, I like my job and don't want to get fired."

:downs: "It must be terrible having to work for tips. Guess how much I make?"

"I don't really give a poo poo."

:downs: "$2500 a week!"

"Wow! That's a lot of dicks you must suck!"

*swing*

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Of course!

We're a mostly Labatts bar! :v:

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Anyone have recommendations on reading material for cocktail stuff?

I'm wanting to learn more about fancier, high-end stuff, as I can't really do a whole lot of that where I work at. More interested in the methodology than just learning recipes, as I'm thinking of potentially stepping up for some cocktail competitions in the summer. The fanciest drink I tend to make with any regularity is a Caesar...was quite happy when someone came in and drank Singapore Slings on Saturday, hahah.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Avian Pneumonia posted:

What is the etiquette for when I request a beer on tap and get it in a fun-size miniglass?

You order Hoegaarden and marvel at your oversized glass.

doginapot posted:

Get Degroff's book, it'll cover tools techniques, and most basics. Art of the Cocktail, I believe it's called. Also, I think the barsmarts curriculum is online somewhere, too. It's not as tough to make cocktails as some would make it out to be; a good workspace and proper tools make a world of difference.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Craft of the Cocktail is good, you should also look at Gary Regan's Joy of Mixology.

A decent reading list can be found here: http://www.museumoftheamericancocktail.org/giftshop/index.html

The Art of the Bar is also worth picking up, IMHO.

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll definitely be looking at these.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

NYE is right up there with St. Patrick's Day for days you'd think would be awesome, but generally aren't.

I mean, it's on a Tuesday this year, which means extra cash regardless, but you get a lot of people that typically don't go out for drinking coming out and they usually peace out by 12:30.

At least around here.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Anyone know of any books detailing a storied bar's history? I'm currently going through a history of P.J. Clarke's and was wondering if there are any other books of a similar bent out there that anyone might know of.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Sheep-Goats posted:

At some places they have an actual tipjar on the bar. That usually says TIPJAR on it. The bartenders point at it or shake it at customers. Obviously these are bad places to work and often have a demographic of people who don't tip, but sometimes any job is better than no job.

Must be a cultural thing. Tip jars are common in all clubs I've been to in Canada, including the bar I presently work at. I don't point or shake at the tip jar, although sometimes I do make a point of emptying it if a group of punk 18 year olds stiff me on a large order.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Derek Agony posted:

Anybody got any suggestions for slightly unusual/obscure gin cocktails? I'm tired of drinking G&Ts or occasionally Tom Collins and I'm looking to branch out a bit. Looking for something easily drinkable and hopefully not too fruity.

Floradora. It fits the obscure criteria, although the fact that it's named after a Broadway musical and is named the Floradora might be a little high on the fruit quotient for you.

You might wanna look at Pimm's Cup, too. Pimm's & soda with cucumber was a nice summer drink of mine for a while.

Perdido fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 21, 2014

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

PT6A posted:

So, do any of you Canadian bartenders have the dubious pleasure of opening up for the gold medal game this morning? I know Alberta's given all licensees an extension to be able to start serving at 5 AM, but I'm not sure about the other provinces. My buddy's bar was fully reserved as of yesterday.

I'm going to need some stories, because I think there'll be some good ones.

Most of Canada granted special exceptions as far as I know...although most of them had it sorted out before 2:45 on a loving Friday. What I'm saying is gently caress Allison Redford and the AGLC, as I've heard a ton of horror stories from places because trying to drum up staff to work on such short notice at an incredibly off hour is pretty hard. Service was pretty bad because most bars had skeleton staff working...place I was at only had 2 people in their kitchen, while another place had multiple food orders go missing because of server or kitchen fuckups. Had bars been given the opportunity to prepare a bit, things would've been a lot smoother and people would've had far better service.

For example, Toronto does this poo poo all the time with stuff like TIFF or the World Cup.

Could've been worse, though. You could've been living in Saskatchewan. Or more specifically, Prince Albert.

My joint wasn't open because "reasons", but the place I went to was slammed and we got our bartender wrecked to the point that he tapped out by the beginning of the third period. Basically cashed out and finished up at my bar went to another place, and blew a large amount of my tips on drinks, laser tag and a Jonathan Toews jersey.

I may or may not have been incredibly shitfaced. Blubububub.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

PT6A posted:

the provincial government is looking at extending service hours in general and allowing sales in corner stores and grocery stores. It's about time!

I'll believe it when I see it. The AGLC and Alberta in general have ridiculously quaint ideas regarding liquor service and I can't see them suddenly doing an about face because of the gold medal game...but stranger things have happened, I guess.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

The Casualty posted:

Is there any advice you guys can give me? What do you like to see out of a barback when it's insanely busy? I'm assuming that keeping the beer flowing, liquor stocked, and the ice full, without getting in the way, will be my top priorities.

The best BAs are ones who are getting me poo poo without me having to ask and are allowing me to focus on customers rather than glassware/item stock/etc.

Move as quickly as you can, always be trying to get something done if you're moving from Point A to Point B and stay out of the bartender's way.

No idea what your exact role will be, but given that you're working a pub on St. Patty's, it probably wouldn't hurt to help out with bussing glassware, as I imagine pint glasses are going to be at a loving premium. Don't be stupid, like some of my current BAs at my joint and feel that certain poo poo is beneath you -- your priority is making your bartender happy.

EDIT: Oh and having some spare pens and (if your bartenders smoke) a lighter on you will earn some brownie points if they ever run out of poo poo like that, as it shows you're being prepared.

Perdido fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 15, 2014

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Has anyone worked at a place where drugs (specifically cocaine) has been a major issue?

My place is really starting to become problematic with cocaine abuse and management understandably wants to be doing something about it. Beyond instructing staff to "keep a lookout" and ejecting people we catch red handed in stalls, there isn't much else we're doing.

The two big ideas I have right now would be getting new bathroom attendants, one that will actually pay attention to what the gently caress is going on in the stalls, and maybe approaching CPS and seeing if we could get a paid duty in on the weekends to specifically be looking for this poo poo.

It's getting a little ridiculous -- it's about three weeks in a row where we've found multiple baggies with coke still in them laying around the bar. One was in a loving ziploc sandwich bag and had a fair quantity in it.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Depends.

Regulars who come in and spend lots of money and/or spend consistently and tip well? You bend over backwards for them and try to appease them as much as possible. Sometimes you won't be able to, but generally giving them a round on the house or comping their food will mollify them. If there's serious issues, that's when management steps in and tries to fix things.

"Regulars" who come in and nurse the same beer or ask for countless refills of pop over the course of 4 hours and don't really spend any money are parasites who usually have the biggest sense of entitlement when it comes to being treated as a "regular." I don't really have a lot of patience for those types because they generally don't spend money (which is bad for the business), don't tip (which is bad for me) and generally complain a poo poo ton when things don't go their way.

If the menu item this guy tried to order wasn't on the menu normally and the kitchen was still going to make it happen, that bartender is a loving idiot and was probably just looking for an excuse to give his 2 weeks notice. If the meatballs are a normal menu item and the regular had to wait a little longer for his food because there was a pre-existing party of 80 people and the kitchen was slammed? Well, he's a "regular" and not a regular and he can gently caress off.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

leica posted:

How is that risky? I know from experience, nothing you do in house is going to accomplish anything besides maybe slowing it down for a day or two, maybe a week if you're lucky. Until people know there are cops involved they are going to keep doing it. It comes down to how bad you want that element out of your bar. If you want it gone you're going to have to involve the police, like it or not.

I thought I had mentioned that the police already are involved, but I guess it wasn't in my original post. Sorry!

On the weekends, police will swing by and do walkarounds. These guys are essentially beat cops, just doing their rounds. They pop in for about 10-15 minutes, and then take off. They may come in once or twice a night, and certainly don't hang around.

There's also Gang Suppression, which also involves police coming in and doing sweeps. These guys are basically prowling around looking for gangbangers/drug dealers/other known faces. Gang Sup comes into our bar because we're part of a voluntary program to try and guard against OC. Once again, though, they come in occasionally and don't hang around.

Finally, we do call the police whenever possible and we have had people picked up for possession.

The problem is that we can't have the police on site all the time (hence my idea of recommending paid duties) and that cocaine use is increasing by a significant margin at my place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

More 'you needed bouncers months ago', really.

We have bouncers, didn't realize I needed to spell that one out. I was looking at this more from a deterrent/preventative measures angle.

Was in last night and they changed the bathroom stall doors up, making it easier for door staff to peek in and see if there are multiple people in a single stall/are using if need be.

• Locked thread