Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Posting to remind myself to check into this thread and respond to poo poo... Also, Dave, bring me your resume already, fucker. GEEZ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Standard US pour is 1.5oz, 2oz for an up drink.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Cider is pretty ubiquitous in the US... It's usually marked "hard cider" because originally the US made many different apple-based beverages and that's a hold over. Although they were out of vogue for a while, many places have at least Angry Orchard/Woodchuck/Smith and Forge if not a scrumpy or dry. blackthorn is still very popular, as is Magners.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Yep, "cocktails" are almost entirely an invention of the US.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Daiquiri is credited as being invented by an American while he was in Cuba during the war, as was the Pisco Sour, sooooooo..... It's a formula if not invented in America, widely and made wildly popular by Americans. Totally, other people made them other places but between Wondrich's research/books and America Walks Into A Bar I think historically it's justified.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Cantorsdust posted:

Where does the gin and tonic fit in all this? You could call that British, no?

That's a highball, not a cocktail.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Choom Gangster posted:

The Daiquiri was invented by Jennings Cox in the 1890s in Santiago, Cuba, then popularized by Constantino at La Florida years later.

And I meant the mentality as much as the cocktail as a whole. The concept is American through and through.

Yeah, Jennings Cox was an American in Cuba for a stay during the Spanish-American war, as I said above.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Choom Gangster posted:

I was just elaborating.

Me too! :)

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Sulfite allergies are pretty bunk, nearly everything has them in it... OJ, dried fruits, brassicaceae, plants in the Lily family, etc etc etc. Two oz of dried apricots have something like 10x the sulfites of a glass of wine. All wine has sulfites, some just don't have additional sulfites added. Less than one half of one percent of people have severe sulfite allergies, so if you are already a serious asthmatic, you are in the risk group.

Sulfite allergies are like the "gluten intolerance" of the beverage world.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

I always thought a highball was a liquor with one mixer, typically a soda of some sort.

Highball is a type of drink built in a glass over ice with a portion of spirit and a larger portion of non-alcoholic mixer.

A cocktail is a drink mixed of spirit(s,) sugar, bitters, water (ice melt.)

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
An old man drink.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

nrr posted:

A highball is a glass :colbert:

You mean a size and type of glassware might be referred to by the same name as the type of drink it's intended to hold?! WHY I NEVER!!!!

E: edited to add that the IBA, Wikipedia, Wondrich, DeGroff, and most cocktail historians agree with me. It's one of the lesser punches/offshoots of punches, along with Collins/fizzes/cobbler/daisies/sours. Wondrich specifically remarks that the Highball was the second most popular drink in the US from ~1858-1960s, just below Sours (most popularly, whiskey sour.)

MAKE NO BABBYS fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jun 2, 2014

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Hahaha! That's totally a prank I would pull. I always try to emphasize that even a highball with bourbon is going to be reaaaaaaallllllly different for the Japanese.

MAKE NO BABBYS fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jun 2, 2014

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Volume can be great and fun, but after eight years bartending full time, 13 in the service industry, I am deaf and my body is broken. I like seeing daylight. I don't walk with $700-800 in a night like I used to before the economy tanked. I like taking more pride in what I make with my hands more than "here's some blue poo poo in a cup" (blue poo poo in a plastic cup has paid my bills many times over) so I've studied the history of wine and spirits and have various industry certifications in it, as well as a nearly complete degree in Enology. I have fun competing in some competitions, attending seminars here and abroad. I am actually one of the least snobby bartenders in the Bay (because my job involves putting booze in people's mouthholes for a living and making sure they have a good time, not curing cancer) and I berate my friends who call themselves "mixologists" constantly because it's loving stupid. I participate/donate my time and organize charity events with my various industry/cocktail enthusiast groups because in the grand scheme of important things the world, my job is meaningless. I do appreciate a good drink, I do appreciate the use of innovative, food-based ingredients and science because it's loving interesting. I hate "mixology bars" run like kitchens (Aviary, my former place of employment in the Bay Area, a few others) because it takes the focus from the best part of the bar (hospitality, interaction with a good bartender) to the worst (fussy, gimmicky cocktails.) I appreciate the skill involved but it's meh overall.

So yep, it's me, I'm the rear end in a top hat snob because I brought up the anthropology of drinks in a thread about drinks and bartending. Carry on with the 50bajillionth argument about the "manliest thing to order at a bar" and how hipsters ruined your favorite cheap beer.

I can't even compete in the highball competition because I don't have any balls :/

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
MotherFUCK a tip pool.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I split equally with people I work shifts with (ie we are on the floor at the same time, working in conjunction with one another) because we do equal, if not more work - I haul and change my own kegs and cases. I rely on my barbacks less than a lot of other people because I'd rather just have it done then and correct than have to explain it to someone or fix it later. But you want to split tips across a whole week or a day or want me to split with someone working a different bar? Get hosed.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Ah. That's standard. How would you separate tips for two or more people working the same bar? You have open tabs, etc.

Tip pooling usually means pooled across a day/week, at least everytime I've heard it.

E: gently caress places that want to do that, it's a means to keep wages low by compensating people who work low-volume shifts at the detriment of other works. I'm not down. I get reaaaaaaaalllly sketched out whenever managers or owners want to be involved in tip splitting. Never ends well, and is inappropriate for the way gratuities are classified by the IRS.

E2: I guess what I mean is tip split vs tip pooling; you split your tips at the end of the shift and share with the people you worked in conjunction with and your support staff, tip pooling is over days or weeks, at least in my experience.

MAKE NO BABBYS fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 8, 2014

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

JawKnee posted:

tip out whenever someone comes on shift or goes off shift

Man, that always ends up with people having to stay on the clock to count or being off the floor when they're needed.

I think we just used different terms for the same thing. Not to be pedantic; probably a regional thing, but "tip pool" to me means something wildly different than a "tip split," one is loving awful and involves owners trying to use tips to float lovely shifts without paying a living wage or compensating reasonably, or get their hands into gratuities surreptitiously, one is a standard division of colleagues working a shift together in conjunction with one another.

E: the places I generally choose to work do things exactly like Veggie Melange described, other than my current stop-gap job.

E2: I put in my notice tomorrow at my lovely stop-gap job and move back to the city tomorrow... IM SO EXCITED

MAKE NO BABBYS fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jun 9, 2014

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Frozen Horse posted:

Paging forums poster James Woods, I hope that Dave Lawrence isn't just a pen name:

http://blog.sfgate.com/stew/2014/07/15/beloved-bartender-killed-in-motorcycle-crash/

Yeahhhhhh... Dave and Erik are not at all the same person and Erik is like, 20 years older than Dave.

Also, REST IN POWER, ERIK. I'll miss your lovely negronis and good personality.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Luceo posted:

Margarita mix is blasphemy.

1.5oz tequila
1 oz agave
0.5 oz lime juice

I personally add more lime because I like it that way. :)

You're doing it wrong. 2oz tequila (real tequila, dummy.) 1oz fresh lime .5oz agave syrup. Maybe a splash of OJ if you want a less boozy drink. Quit loving around.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Luceo posted:

Sorry sorry sorry :ohdear:

I buy Sauza 100% blue agave for my house, is that real?

Haha, I'm just teasing you. Tommy's Margs are the best, can't beat the classic ratio.

Yep, any 100% agave is fine; but FYI tequila is by definition only made with blue agave. How much does that run you a bottle? You can go pretty cheap for mixing without noticing a taste difference.

Try making them with mezcal (cheap, again, you don't need a single-origin Del Maguey) or floating mezcal on top if you want to change it up. Or a spicy rim, which I find is good on a beach. Mix 1oz kosher salt, 1oz raw sugar and 1oz chipotle spice mix on a plate and use it to rim your cup or dip a lime wedge into.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
You are correct; I wasn't including mixto in what I was referring to as "tequila" but many people don't know that's not "tequila." I should have been more clear.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Go buy a $15 bottle of Evan Williams or the like?

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

mooyashi posted:

Does anyone actually like mojitos? I've had them out, I've made them at home. Nothing has ever blown my socks off. I'm convinced the effort is what people like; make you work longer than usual, it must be worth something.

Depends if the person making it understands the difference between "muddling" and "pressing" the mint leaves. Too many tards shredding the poo poo out of herbs and releasing a bunch of nasty chlorophyll into drinks... Not only that, congrats, when you do that poo poo you make the drink look like barf AND get poo poo all stuck in the straw.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Booties posted:

I like to either rip them in half once then press with the muddler once, or I stack all the leaves and kind ring them out, gently, then put them in the drink with a light press.

Take good leaves, spank them in the palm of hand, drop into glass, build drink, garnish with tip of the sprig and a lime wheel. Tearing or breaking the leaves releases chlorophyll. Chlorophyll in drinks is bad.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Ah! Good to know. It was taught to me as "chlorophyll is bitter" so I'm glad to know the science behind it.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Have fun with a bunch of poo poo floating in your drink? Don't shake mint dummy.

Agree on syrup, though. Or just banish mint in general.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

Most important thing unmentioned: Bartenders get first dibs on the desperate/drunk girls at the end of the night.

Um, gross.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I am queen creep but it's pretty distasteful to joke about gettin your customers intoxicated to take advantage of them.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Joke's on you; I have tits, I don't need to get people drunk to rob them blind.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Not sorry bros, I'm into crude jokes and light-humored creepin' but still think jokes about taking advantage of intoxicated guests is loving gross and mad unprofessional.

Oh wait, because it is. Continue jerking one another off about which highball is more "manly."

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Rotten Cookies posted:

I guess you're not into crude jokes. It's a joke because it's gross. And bartenders aren't known to be the most professional lot. And who's jerking off who? Because I have yet to get a handy and if I continue drinking someone's gonna have to handle my passed out, limp dingus, so hurry up you prudes.

I know you've been bartending at Applebee's for a whole ten months now, but some of us treat our professions like real jobs, yknow, because they are.

Why aren't I surprised that no one is interested in handling your dick?

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I extend that courtesy to people sitting at the bar who are obviously settling in for a while or people that I know. I've had maybe 3 walk outs in 8 years bartending and 14 in the service industry. When they happened, we shrugged and said "oh well, cost of buasiness." and comped them out.

And yeah, the joke was gross/not funny, I'm not some tumblr SJW but found it distasteful as a woman and a professional. Get over yourself, no one is trampling on YER RIGHGGGHTS

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

Babbys, why don't you tell more jokes about robbing people blind because you have tits, that's a much funnier and more acceptable joke because *~feminism~*

Awwww, is someone upset? That one sentence sure made you awwwwwwful mad.

E: sure you don't belong frothing at the mouth in the gamergate thread instead?

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Pffft.

Anyone gotten their hands on Death and Co.'s new book? I flipped through it for a moment and was pleasantly surprised. Stoked to see more writing on techniques (like Jeff did in his new book) rather than another 500 recipes.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Skoll posted:

Jesus gently caress, you are one hypocritical, double standard employing bitch. I think you'd be much better suited posting on Tumblr ( which you probably do, TW: rape, non feminist humor, rationality ) than SA.

Hahaha, please tell me more about the culture of SA (that I've been reading and posting on since about a year after it's creation) and more about the industry that I've clawed into and earned my chops in. I don't post my accreditations and credentials solely because goons are MOTHERFUCKIN creeps and last time I did I had to have a WHOLE lot of people show up at my place of work, harass me on social media, etc. I'm good at my job, I know what I'm talking about, I'm actually a pretty nice lady.

Needless to say, keep it up, you sound like assholes, feel free to approach me one on one at industry events and I'll tell you what an rear end in a top hat you are, otherwise, cope with the fact that your joke wasn't humorous and MOVE ON.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Yeah, pretty much all of Northern CA. I hate the leaving the pile of cash on the bar though, because other people will steal it or try to put their money on top of it to shortchange the bar. Don't leave your money on the bar and walk away to piss or smoke and expect me to watch it for you. It also makes the bar look cluttered. Unattended cash on the bar is a tip.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

JawKnee posted:

nothing wrong with being popular and having folks that want to know where (for example) you're heading for your next job. There is something wrong with bars looking to only hire people with a following - if you want a promoter pay for one.

Almost universally (at least here in the Bay Area) those bars are run by total newbies, have no clue what they're doing and close immediately.

Strangely enough, when I worked in a strip club, none of those things were listed in the ads nor required of employees. Terms like "well groomed," sure. But no fitness requirements, head shots, etc.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

PT6A posted:

My buddy just opened a bar (his first one, but he's not trying to manage it alone) and so far, all of the people that claim they have thousands of social media followers and whatnot are insufferable assholes, and one has already been fired for being a useless rear end in a top hat prima donna prick.

EDIT: The thing I really don't like about the "servers can't drink on shift" is that, technically speaking, you can't even offer your bartender/server a taste of the wine you're drinking, which is something I like to do regularly if I've ordered a decent bottle just as a matter of courtesy. It's not like you're even going to get buzzed off a single mouthful of wine.

uhhhhh, yeah, Even in places that don't allow one to drink on shift, not allowing them to taste wine or cocktails is completely moronic. They seriously expect one to serve wine BTG without testing the bottle first? And not straw test every drink they served? If one of my bartenders served a drink without tasting it, they would get a very stern talking to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
You should be tasting every cocktail you make beyond a highball/Long Island variant... And even then, since we use house made/fresh sours I'd prefer my staff straw tasted those too, in most cases. At least the first one of the day.

• Locked thread