Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Dirnok posted:

tolerable....McCormick's.

Everything McCormicks is garbage

Dirnok posted:

:j: No, soda water is different. Vodka soda with a lemon.

:( ...okay, here you go..

:j: Oh, that tastes way better, thanks!

:( ...welcome

We have employees who will only drink our bottled water but have no problem drinking whatever off the gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Rotten Cookies posted:

"WHAT DO YOU WANT?"
BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM
"a rum and coke"
"A WHAT?"

Or the rush when the crowd hears this.

And probably the general crowd that shows up to that kind place. Douches.

I'm in tears laughing at this ( I'm actually djing right now), thanks.

I'll definitely agree that not everywhere needs a dj, but when even clothing stores in the mall and Dave and busters have them I guess its inevitable.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Frozen Horse posted:

Some of us drink it on the rocks, none of this negroni business.

As for DJs, any tips on getting booked? (aside from not sucking)

Be available and have a wide genre selection. I can play an old school hip hop night a 90's night or a top 40 night, aside from my snooty show on Digitally imported. Be able to play everything and let the people that do the bookings know that you are available. Sorry for ruining all you bartenders nights with BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM, but you gotta do what pays.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Can someone explain to me where the "beergarita" came from? It looks and sounds terrible, and I cant imagine ordering one but I have seen it popping up everywhere, and I am kind of curious.

For those that dont know, a beergarita is exactly what it sounds like, a beer put neck down into a margarita.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Daric posted:

Our well vodka is Taaka and I can guarantee you that you will never want to drink it

Ours is crystal palace. Our well tequila is even worse, Zarco. It tastes like the way you imagine tequila did before you had ever tried it.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

James Woods posted:

I have one for you guys. So Halloween week we have a bunch of shows at my bar I'll be working and all the staff will be getting dressed up. I have to figure out a good costume that has the following criteria; 1. It has to be something I can wear and still bartend while in the weeds 2. It has to incorporate facial hair (beard, goatee, goofy mustache, whatever. I just prefer not to go clean shaven). The one idea I had was to go to Radio Shack and grab a bunch of LEDs to put in an enclosure and wear something like this under a normal outfit.

It would be subtle but I think most people would get it and best of all it would be easy to work in. Anyone else have any suggestions or dressing for work?

Thinkgeek sells a tony stark shirt that light up just like that. Save yourself the time.

Edit http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/e60f/

Old Man Pants fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Oct 16, 2012

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

The policy change is probably a good one - a restaurant that allows its employees to drink there, even on their day off, is risking a hell of a lot of shrinkage (and those employees are still representative of the restaurant, even if they're off the clock).

Previous bars I worked in just had a one hour rule. If you came in on your day off or after your shift or whatever, you could only be there an hour. hang out, have a drink and be on your way after saying hi to everyone. Seemed to work out well. Banning another bars employees is flat out stupid though.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Galliano

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

CzarChasm posted:

Also, I'm not a guy who likes to drink, so this very often makes me a bad customer. I'll usually play DD for friends, so I'm mostly drinking sodas, and that brings me to ask about tipping. Is it bad form to tip at the end of drinking for a night, or should I tip per drink? And is it percentage based like most other service industries, or should it be a flat dollar or two per drink?

If you are the DD, you are doing everyone who works in the bar a favor by making sure they don't get fistfucked by Dram Shop laws. Come in, order as many sodas or waters as you like, and if you feel like it, tip the bartender decent. I wish there were more people who did this, Usually it's two drunk guys arguing over who is less drunk so they can figure out who drives.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Are any of you required to take TIPS certification classes or similar alcohol serving classes?

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

SubponticatePoster posted:

I just bought a bottle of St-Germain liqueur. Anyone have recommendations for cocktails?

A shot of Jameson with a splash of the St-Germain. It is incredibly delicious, and very dangerous.

I call it the St Jamo.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

To card talk: for a tab over $300 we require a fingerprint and copy of ID, for tabs of $2K we require a video statement.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Frozen Horse posted:

I was about to scoff and then remembered where you work(ed?). Have you ever had to play a video statement to the CC company? What about having one subpoenaed to prove that someone was at a place during a time?

Unsurprisingly, some peoples spouses are not ok with a 4-5 figure purchase that they were not consulted on, and when they find out what is was for get very confrontational, so instead of owning up, they act confused and say I'm going to call the credit card company right now! The same goes for some peoples business accounts and their bosses. Happens all the time, and when the CC company comes to us we shut them down quick. "We have his fingerprint, a copy of his ID, and him on video agreeing to these purchases", and they stop bothering us about it.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Tips for a first timer? After12ish years working in bars, it appears I'll finally be getting my turn pouring the spirits. I've always helped out with barback stuff (ice, fruit, booze, etc) and helping with shots, drafts, simple cocktails etc when the bartender was slammed, but the actual title of "bartender" hasn't ever been mine. It's a semi fancy bar at a very fancy venue, and I want to make sure I avoid any "new guy" pitfalls. By fancy I mean they asked me what the difference between a manhattan and a perfect manhattan was, how to traditionally garnish an old fashioned, etc, which I knew but apparently people with many years experience got these questions wrong. I want to avoid being the know it all new guy, but also be a good part of the team.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

PT6A posted:

Don't put Worcestershire in the Old Fashioneds. I saw that the other day (I even confirmed that it was on purpose!), and my brain had a spontaneous short circuit.

That sounds loving disgusting.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

MisterOblivious posted:

WHAT?!? First timer? You?!? Jesus, I mean, like you mention below, you've never held the title "bartender" but you've been in the industry for a long, long while, haven't you?

You've gotta know all about any sort of internal "politics" by now, right? You've been in a super "politic-y" place for basically forever now right? I'm really kinda surprised your DJ position required you to act as a barback, but, no, not really actually surprised. You know?
Yeah, I've basically got nothing.
I'm not really sure if that's a good move for you, but you're getting to that age a unionized hotel job where you can just sling liquor all day is looking attractive right?

Well aware of all the politics, that's easy to navigate. My DJ position never "required" me to barback or sling shots or drinks, I did it because I could see fellow employees struggling, and I wanted to help. Slinging drinks is actually something I enjoy as well as DJing, so being able to do both and being able to expand my resume skillset is actually a large portion of the reason why I'm making the move into doing both.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

PT6A posted:

It is! Absolutely godawful. Presumably, if you really want a bit of that flavour, you can find someone who's made tamarind bitters and then it wouldn't taste like complete rear end!

Mountain Dew was originally creaated as a mixer for whiskey. I've never been brave enough to try it though.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Man, after 11 years in the DJ booth, and just under a year behind the bar, hearing some of these stories makes me sick. The co I used to DJ for treated all their employees like garbage, and now when I knock out a strong shift I get pulled into the managers office and told, "thanks for your hard work, you did great today". I've even gotten a raise in the 8 months I've been there. Finding a place not run by a bunch of dumb chucklefucks is a serious quality of life upgrade.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

PT6A posted:

The great thing is, the assholes all get their comeuppance eventually. There'll be a whole bunch of "why can't I find good employees? Everyone's an rear end in a top hat who steals from me!" whining for a while, then service will start to suffer, and then the bar will enter a death spiral, and the rear end in a top hat will end up losing a huge amount of money, while blaming everything and everyone but themselves.

I've watched some very deserving assholes go through it; it's magical! It may not happen as quickly as you'd hope, but it happens all the same.

Oh I've seen it, it's just completely mind boggling to me that industry wide these mistakes with horrible management and dumb policies even still happens for years before anyone notices.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

CubanMissile posted:

Crosspost from GBS

Holy poo poo. This is so spot on that everyone should read it before trying to open a bar. The best one I've seen is when management decided we all had to wear qr codes on lanyards that directed to the companies incredibly poorly managed facebook like a year after qr codes had gone by the wayside.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

So fellow bartenders: the bar I work at we bring our own tools. Shaker, wine key, bottle opener, strainer, jigger, pens etc. I need some recommendations on a bag. I've been using a crown bag which works, but I think it's kinda tacky, and am tired of people asking questions about it. Any advice?

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

Who asks questions? Customers? Friends? Random people on your commute, if you walk/take public transport?

Personally I wouldn't be bothered by the questions about a CR bag, but if you're walking there or something, you could get one of those small drawstring backpacks just to make it a little easier. If it's just the CR logo - dye it black maybe?

Customers ask questions (we don't carry apple cr), people on public transport stare at it and I have multiple people ask me "can I get a drink?" If I decide to go anywhere after work, I get (understandably) hassled about outside alcohol, I drive home from the train station and a CT bag might look suspicious to the law, so it's for a number or reasons really. Just using some rit to dye it is a good idea, but ideally I'd like something a little nicer. I should add, I keep a pint glass in my shaker since my bar has weird glassware, so I'd rather it not be banging around in a backpack.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

CubanMissile posted:

But all this poo poo is way too expensive so I'd probably just find a cheap thermal lunch bag with a washable liner.

Those bags are crazy expensive, the lunch bag idea is solid, thanks!

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Ordered. Derail over!

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

navyjack posted:

Btw: OldManPants, I'm starting at the Hilton around the corner from you this week!

Nice! Drinks at corner office soon?

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

CubanMissile posted:

You'll regret using a wine key as a bottle opener the day you either scrape the hell out of your hand on a bottle cap or when someone orders twenty beers.

This is the same reason I shear the foils off of wine bottles at my bar since we're not selling the bottle or presenting it. Have cut my hands way too many times on those stupid things. Using a wine key to open beers sounds like a huge pain in the rear end. Protip: if the non opener side of your bottle opener is shaped like a keyhole, it's for removing pour spouts.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

navyjack posted:

I wonder if the new overtime rules that just passed are going to make managing in the business better? I might not have quit if I hadn't been making the equivalent of 9 bucks an hour over 65 hours per week.

Suppose it probably depends on what a piece of garbage the company is. When Obama care went into place, my last gig just cut everyone's hours so they didn't qualify.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

So what's the usual ring you guys at bars (not bottle service or crazy mixology spots) have rung in a shift? I hit 2200 last night and was pretty proud of myself.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

This is a pointless metric without prices.

$4 water/soda, $8 wells. We're also basically a venue service bar with 2-10 tenders at a time

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

mooyashi posted:

Just get your foot in the door and prove you're not retarded

And you'll probably be amazed at how many people can't pull the latter off.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

mooyashi posted:

Just don't take a salary. Hourly only. Phone calls and texts are billable.

This so much. I've had endless friends go to management, and burn out in a fury because now they're working 60 hour weeks for less than they were making in 3 nights behind the bar.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

In CO you get 3 strikes, and then they shut you down for 3 days, and take your liquor license for another infraction within a year.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

mooyashi posted:

Yeah I remember learning about it, someone came up to me and said "hey dude has to go, he's drunk." I said "... Yeah, he's not hurting anyone, and it's a bar. Kinda the idea right?"

Nope.

Which is extra crazy, because bartenders can drink on the job in CO. Liquor laws across the country are proper stupid.

Kicking someone who is drunk out can also ultrafuck you if you don't make a reasonable effort to make sure they don't drive. Those laws are also why almost no bars have custom matches anymore.

Edit: you also need to document it if you want to cya

Old Man Pants fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Aug 25, 2016

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Weirdest requests you've got?

Mine just this week:
"Do you have a microwave? I like my Bloody Mary warm"

"Can I get a strawberry rose margarita?"

...orders a Coors light

Me: "no and I need to check your ID again"

Old Man Pants fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 8, 2016

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Sticky Nate posted:

*looks at bottles behind me*

"What drinks y'all have?"

There's a cool bartender I work with who will just rattle off like 15-20 mixed drinks he knows that we can make with the ingredients we have, and then asks which one would you like

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

It's a lovely question, but that's a worse response unless it's a high volume place where wasted time equals lost sales. You should at least be able to take 10 seconds and ask "Beer, liquor, sour, sweet ???" to get someone started - a response like that just aggravates customers. But if it's high volume, yeah, gently caress anyone who walks up to the bar, flags down a bartender and doesn't have their order ready.

We're high volume, and often have lines 100 deep. If you've been standing in line for 10 minutes and still have no idea what you want, gtfo.

mooyashi posted:

My favorite is when someone waves at you, just wave back

I love this idea.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

CubanMissile posted:

It was a boutique hotel that seemed more on the side of serious than hipster, so I went with the suit. Got the job! It's got actual benefits! Like PTO! I haven't been able to call in sick in seven years.

Congrats dude! I've been looking into some hotel gigs myself, it seems like they are excellent long term careers instead of a place that's constantly changing management/concepts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Marrying bottles to keep a better stock of inventory is illegal but not uncommon. Pouring cheap liquor into a more expensive bottle is crazy illegal and something that gets places liquor licenses pulled faster than serving a minor would. Also in the US, most bars have an llc that will likely hold you liable if you know about it happening and still pour it. Get the gently caress out of that place now.

• Locked thread