Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
My shift drink was a Jacob's Ladder tonight. But because I didn't want to wash any more glassware, I poured it in plastic.

:smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
Considering going back to SFCs. Been rocking various pairs of black New Balance walking/cross trainers with these inserts: http://www.amazon.com/Sorbothane-Ultra-Graphite-Arch-Insole/dp/B0018KB942/ref=pd_sbs_hpc_1

Been comfortable enough but this latest pair of NB's I bought are just falling the gently caress apart. I've got maybe a month and a half out of them and I'm already supergluing bits of the sole together.

E: On a related note, has anyone played with the bev blends from Perfect Puree? http://www.perfectpuree.com/index.php/Beverage-Artistry-Home/

One of our regulars brought us some samples and while there's a handful of recipes online on their site, has anyone else done anything worthwhile with the Thai Black Pepper, Chipotle Sour, Thyme Citrus, or Yuzu Luxe Sour blends?

Ally McBeal Wiki fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 25, 2013

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

Shooting Blanks posted:

I once got called for drinking a "faggy pink drink" at a reasonably nice bar here in Houston (which has since shut down). It was a Negroni.

A place in Chicago that happens to be one of my all time favorites is run by an old Italian family, and the place is no-nonsense tough, and I'm quite certain that if anyone there ever gave me/anyone else poo poo for drinking their house staple Negroni, they'd end up in a loving ditch with no teeth somewhere.

I love that bar. :)

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
3 days til Judgement Day 2013. I've been on vacation for almost 2 weeks now, and it will be (almost) my first shift back.

That's gonna be a thing.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
16 hours yesterday, and about to go back for a bit more. Ran out of green beer by 4 or 5 PM (opened at 11), out of Guinness just about the same time. Hilariously lovely ordering, but it did mean I didn't have to clean the scum out of a bunch of car bombs beyond the 7 hour mark.

Just the usual drunks, stupid plastic green bowler hats, a guy I had to throw out for ogling and then deciding to grope one of our regulars, a guy that got thrown out for punching his best friend in the face despite the friend's protestations that "we just haven't seen each other for a long time, and it's cool!" and the like, and an ultra shittitly dirty bar floor. Nothing too far flung, but it was a god drat grind. Around the 11 hour mark I was screaming out at the top of my lungs "suck my BALLS" to no one in particular as I was making change at the register, delirious.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
Free gym membership? Yes please.
Health/dental? Fuckin' A yes please.
Fire me and then rehire? Only believe that one if I have it in writing, pal (which won't happen).
Require me to submit a guest list and evaluate me based on their (non)attendance? Fuuuuuuck you. That one really irritates me, because I work in a dive rear end bar, and people are known to become regulars for a month, being in every single day at the exact same time, and then disappear for a year at a time without warning. Being evaluated for the potential flakiness of people you think you have some rapport with / animal magnetism effect over is horseshit and a policy I've really hated about this industry since I started.

I get that he wants to revitalize the place with some harder and better moneymaking strategies, but dude, your staff will clear itself out in time if they don't like it. I do like that he's being upfront about changing poo poo though. A lot of lovely managers will not say that they expect different attitudes/behaviors out of their staff until after the fact.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

doginapot posted:

What's you guys opinions on barsmarts. I found some codes for their smaller class, and am thinking about signing up. However, I do know spirits and "mixology" very well, but beer and wine, less so. Is it worth it, has anyone done it?

Tell ya what, I did the Certified Cicerone course online a while back, and it was pretty good basic knowledge for beer. Styles, descriptions and histories of the styles. It's done me a world of good in just mastering vocabulary in using proper terminology for the explosion in local craft we've seen around here. I actually go back to my notes from the course fairly often, and the suggested expanded readings I always keep a bookmark on to check out. Does not cover wine at all though.

e: \/ I believe it was.

Ally McBeal Wiki fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 11, 2013

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

Ultimate Mango posted:

Can any of you gents point me to an honest, good cocktail venue in Vegas? My company is sending me to a conference on the strip, and if I recall bars can be hit and miss especially near the touristy areas. I heard the secret level in the Chandelier in the Cosmo has some interesting stuff, but even that makes me scratch my head.
I don't think the crowd I am with wants a club experience but a good bar with real drinks would be a godsend and put some hurt on our corporate cards...

Downtown Cocktail Room, ftw. Check their happy hour times, the prices are absurdly cheap for pretty well made drinks.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'm the opposite - Put me 12 deep and I'm happy, I can't imagine working a small room like that.

Rotten Cookies posted:

So last night for the very first time I worked nonstop. I've had busy nights. Very busy nights. But not like this. I mean I didn't even get time to take a drink of soda or anything for the 8 or so hours. The night did whizz by, though.

On the negative side: My feet hurt, my throat hurts, and I'm tired as poo poo.
On the plus side: Dolla dolla bills, y'all. I can't complain walking away with hundreds.

God this. A dive bar is a really tough gig for me on ultra slow nights (Monday nights, for example) because once I hand you your High Life, the amount I'm able to sit and bullshit with you is a ticking clock of how much we could possibly have to say. Perhaps if I were cocktailing it would be different.

But weekends where we're balls deep, yes please. Way cool.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
We tend to see a good number of people trying to get in with papers that are similar to or supposedly in lieu of their ID. People that supposedly got their licenses taken away for a ticket or lost them or somesuch. Those people don't get let in, and while I understand some court in some other state might've given it to you, I don't know what a ticket from Idaho actually looks like, so, sorry.

I also once had an Irish citizen try to give me a b&w photocopy of her passport because she "didn't want to go out with the real one and lose it!"

Ha.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

PT6A posted:

I've used a B&W passport photocopy to get into bars (and coffeeshops in Amsterdam), so it's not as crazy as you think, at least from a European mindset.

I wasn't really thinking about a cultural aspect of it. It just seems like perhaps one of the most easy ways to potentially attempt to falsify identity that I've ever been actually confronted with. Print out one number on a piece of paper using the same font as your passport, affix it over the appropriate date on your actual passport, slap it in a copier and voila! Instant counterfeit "ID."

But, not.

Ally McBeal Wiki fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 3, 2013

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

JazzmasterCurious posted:

The best is to just go by the general "look" and apparent age. If in doubt, and the patron can't supply an ID, and nobody you trust can vouch for the person's age; no dice. Better to be a serious, strict, though hated bartender than to be the one that made your place lose their license. I've denied more 25-year-olds without available or doubtful ID than I can count.

Agreed on the strict point, but disagreed (mostly) on the trust point. Where I'm at, ownership and indeed the local PD, should they ever want to arrange a bust/sting, would have a really hard time swallowing the trusted person vouching for someone's age treatment. The only people I will EVER look at for a confirmation that someone is of age without checking myself would be my doorman or my fellow bartenders, because the operating logic there is that they've already checked.

And if on any given particular night that person were to walk in, without an ID, but we all knew he/she were of age (could be a centenarian), and a sting were to go down, and that person couldn't produce an ID to the cops when they asked, the bar would be footing the bill, and the bartender that served him/her would be out of a job, no doubt. Sucks rear end but so does this balancing act dog-and-pony show circus of a district in which to try to make a living off serving the last legal drug.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

FISHMANPET posted:

Don't you only have to card in a liquor store if the person looks under 40? Is that not the case in a bar? Is any reasonable person going to look at a 60 year old person and think they might not be old enough to drink?

Or does it have to do with endorsements on the license? I know here in Minnesota they'll check the back of the license to look for something that says the license holder isn't allowed to drink (maybe you get that after a drunk driving conviction?)

It is not the case in a bar, at least here in Chicago. The law is something akin to (paraphrasing) having to have a valid ID on premises to drink in a bar. I know nothing about endorsements here having much to do with it.

It is totally unreasonable and is a ridiculous oval office of a law to have to actually enforce. When I look at a customer and know he or she is clearly 40-plus but still have to ask he/she to produce photo identification of that fact, it sucks. But it's the law, and is enforced to make this broke rear end city their bits of money. The bar across the street got popped for $500 and a strike against their license for serving an obviously of-age individual (looked 45, graying, weathered looking dude) who was a vice cop without asking him for an ID. Went in, asked for a beer (it's always a Miller Lite) on a nice slow afternoon shift, and then bang, pulled out his ID, told the bartender that had served him to go pull the marked $20 back out of the register, and issued a citation.

Yes, the burden of diligence in carding everyone is on the bartender, and no it is not fair. It sucks working under a law that's enforced in that manner. The spirit of the law doesn't matter, it seems, when the city is broke.

tl;dr: don't go getting mad when you're an old fart getting carded; your bartender is just doing his/her job, and risks losing that job if he/she doesn't do it every time.

Ally McBeal Wiki fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 5, 2013

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

Coohoolin posted:

I used to have to bring my passport out with me when I went clubbing in Aberdeen at 19. Sainsburys and Morrisons don't accept foreign ID cards, and some of the bouncers wouldn't either. Nearly lost the drat thing once in Exodus, some guy found me outside smoking and handed me the passport, he'd picked it up off the dance floor. It is entirely believable that an Irish person would try to keep from losing their passport.

To clarify my initial "Ha!" comment: My exposure to bars and bartending has been in locations where it's mostly unthinkable that someone would honestly attempt something like that. State-issued photo identification or a valid international passport has to be presented to be granted admission, end of story, in the places that I've worked. I do wholly understand the desire to not lose such a crucial piece of information. Thus I found the substitution of a badly photocopied sheet of white printer paper quite humorous.

Catering: I did that scene for a little bit concurrent with a stint at a college bar, and I think I liked it better. I look back on it much more fondly for both the tips and the stability it granted.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

Knockknees posted:

Do any of you tend bar in Chicago? If you, you might be interested in my post in another thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3032498&pagenumber=439&perpage=40#post415283833

Emailed.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

Sheep-Goats posted:

Yeah, I've never seen that happen. Can't imagine it really, but bar glasses see a lot of stress from use and being heated and cooled over and over in the course of washing them, so I can't say it's impossible either. If you're worried you can use two slightly different sized tins but IMO the glass is showier and nicer.

I have absolutely seen (and performed myself) a shake with two differently sized tins when doing super high volume/where the gently caress is my barback I haven't seen a clean glass in a half hour style bartending. Nothing wrong with it in that atmosphere. Eschewing the glass is worth getting the drink to the patron more quickly in such situations anyway, imho.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

Coohoolin posted:

I once had a dream I moved to the US and began bartending there. People flocked from far and wide to hear me explain in thick Doric why 80 Shilling is way better than Export and you can gently caress off and do one if you want a cocktail, here's a lager tops ya fanny. Whisky coke? Straight or soda, nothing else. Shut up, fitbaw's on, listen to me explain why John Terry's such a prick.

It was a nice dream.

Gimme something fun! I don't know, I don't like whiskey or strong things!

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

Well since you're just making it up, if I don't like it, that means it's free, right?

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
Woke up to a moment of clarity yesterday and I will be leaving my current gig. I don't have a backup other than some PT online work, and people always say this is a bad idea, but I'm a special snowflake/it's really, really high time. I talked about it a year ago, and it's just got to be now. I feel badly cause the place is small, tight-knit like family to me, but I gotta do right by me. *sigh*

Handing in the letter in about two or three hours. Oh joy.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
4 more shifts, then, the great unknown. It was a good few years. I might well be back at it soon enough though judging by the sheer number of returners here.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

Vegetable Melange posted:

Speaking of bar backing, I'm on my way to pinch hit at one of the August temples to cocktails for my friends. Remember: you don't do favors. You collect debts.

In collecting on the end of my tenure behind the wood (for now), several cartons of cigarettes, absurd amounts of cash, and lots and lots of booze. It's the perks, man. However, I'm going to probably have to pay that forward in the form of playing outside adviser to the place. And I do still have my keys, and was asked to keep them...

Ally McBeal Wiki fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jun 16, 2013

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
Varied amounts of citrus vodka and Frangelico/hazelnut with the ingredients Hoops suggested. More cake-like, yes, but might get you in the right direction. Especially the Frangelico. Can do very amazing things towards creating strange baked flavors.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

Yoshifan823 posted:

Thank god I found this thread. I've had a job serving wine and beer at a small theatre in Chicago since about February, which I parlayed into a job at a Landmark movie theatre that just got renovated; the renovations included a bar. The original plan was for me to train with the two more experienced bartenders while I did typical movie theatre poo poo/barbacking, but last night I got bumped up to full on bartender because one of the two decided to just not show up at all. This means that tonight, without any pouring experience, I'll be serving for an opening day crowd. I'll only be on my own for the final hour or two of the night, but I've managed to fall backwards into this, and right now I'm scared shitless.

I'm gonna plow through this thread tonight after I get home, because I have no idea what the gently caress I'm doing.

Did you start out at Logan? Glad that first shift went okay! You're in. Keep doing the good work and don't ever get lazy, on your service or on making sure that people (including your managers) notice your good service.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

Sheep-Goats posted:

If you work in a bar your social life turns into a post closing time affair with other bartenders and wait staff plus a few druggies and professional partygoers. On your days off you go drink nearly for free at bars your friends work at, often going to similar after hours things one they close it down. You are unavailable on weekend evenings and nights and become detached from the non-industry night life. This sucks but is off set slightly by industry people being quality drinkers and industry ladies being easy on the eyes.

Personally I'd rather have what everyone else has and it's pretty much either/or.

Pretty well said. I attempted to maintain some semblance of normal social life (i.e. hanging out with 9-5'ers and the like) for a while, then after one relationship completely fell apart clearly based upon my schedule, I said gently caress it to the whole thing and just didn't go out much at all, before or after work, nor on my off days.

Lame-rear end.

Also, I did exactly what you're talking about Tychtrip. I worked 5 AM - 3 PM Monday through Friday in an office setting, and then worked in a bar Friday and Saturday nights as a barback and eventually bartender. I was making crazy money, perpetually tired, and refused to take drugs to fix the constant tiredness. I loved both jobs, but eventually I was asked to resign from the office gig for telling them their outsourcing policy sucked cock, and ended up a full-time bartender at the place for 2 years.

I dunno what that tells you, but I think the lesson is that trying to live life doing both things at the same time will make you hard and impatient with a LOT of poo poo, especially poo poo that fucks with your ability to get your hard-earned sleep time, including friendships and romantic relationships.

I say go for it. It'll change your perspective on what it means to "never have any free time."

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

I keep a lot of civilian friends and at least one lover, but it takes a lot of effort. Being a consultant right now helps, too. And mind you, I think closing bars and drinking for free and banging waitresses is awesome and I know you do, too.

All true.

I spent some time at my local favorite establishment recently, and the evening was replete with handshakes, headnods, and the like, all being noted as a fellow bartender (despite the fact that I'm not anymore) and had at least a few drinks completely for free.

I mean, they know I'm not working in a bar anymore, and they just treated me as though I had just got off another split double and wanted to further numb the pain. It's an incredible perk to be looked at like that, one that I think only cops and celebrities enjoy in this particular city.

I don't know when I'll be back, but I will be. American bartending is a goddamn privileged lifestyle, no doubt.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

Tastic posted:

I went in today to say I had to jump town for a few days and everything was cool. I was just wiggin out cause dam I miss working behind a bar and this is really my only shot to get back into it. Plus, it is under new owners and a lot of good stuff is happening. Its just one of those things where it was comical how everything went wroung.

Anyone have any advice on how to bring in some more blue collar folk to a bar? There was mention of bringing in glass front coolers to show off the imports they would be bringing in. Thing is, I don't think the bar manager knows poo poo about imports/crafts. Even then, there are soooo many pretty fuckin amazing bars in this town doing that it would be stupid to try and compete with em. We are out of the way from a lot of places so not really anything you can hop to. The other big thing is live music. There was a mention that they cant hold music because the previous owners screwed up something. I am aware there is some sort of live music liscensing thing? Does anyone have any experience with that? I am in the state of Illinois if that helps.

If it's Chicago, you sure as poo poo have to have licensing for live music, and it's pretty annoying. It's known as a PPA.

Blue collar? Be open during earlier hours, advertise High Life, and have a jukebox stocked accordingly with hits blue collar sorts might like. Old country, some classic rock, Gordon Lightfoot, I don't know. That sorta thing. I can point you in the direction of a few places to take notes from if you are indeed in Chicago.

Edit: Also man, relax. The clientele will warm to you or they won't. But chances are, if you're the only bar they can go to (key point: be open during hours others aren't), they'll make do with you. They're old codgery sorts and don't like change and don't like new poo poo. The day you get one of them to try a Hooegarden, and they like it, they will order it maybe once, maybe twice ever again, then have a lovely day, order their usual, and things will be the same as ever. At least that was how it was for me.

Ally McBeal Wiki fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 19, 2013

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
Been out of the game a few months now, and pretty happily so. But the other night I went into one of my favorite spots around town and they were pretty well slammed considering it was usually a dead night for them. Moreover, my usual bartender buddy was having himself a really lovely night because their draft system (normally a point of pride for this place) was completely hosed and not working, all of their main toilets were broken completely, and they looked a bit short staffed. He was busting rear end and clearly not happy with how the night was going. Can't blame him, looking at the crowd. I have myself a few, he buys me one, and I see that as the night goes on, he and the couple other dudes working are just miserably busy. I leave 'em a $20 on a $20 tab and a note that says "If you ever need a back / a hand around here on short notice, give me a ring. Also, gently caress those toilets" and my phone number.

I told a non-service worker buddy of mine this story, and he was blown away, saying, "Well you can't ever go back in there without it being awkward you know. Now that you basically applied to work there..." And I didn't think a loving thing of it prior to that. But now he put that nugget of doubt in my head. I love that bar, and hated to see those dudes clearly overworked and was offering to help should they forsee that kinda poo poo happening again and wanted an experienced hand to do whatever they needed help with.

I have every intention of going back as a customer whether I ever hear from them or not, 'cause it's frankly just a place I love to drink. Is that actually weird?

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
Bar I worked at, there was this guy that lived around the corner we'll call Jim. Jim claimed he was a bartender/barback at some other joint in town, but was always really, really hard up for cash. The first few times I saw him, I gave him the standard industry discount of a buck off per drink (standard in the bar I worked in, anyway) but someone then informed me that he was a notorious liar.

A week later, he comes in and proceeds to tell me about what a great teacher he was to 4th graders, how all the parents called wanting their kids to be in his class. He's a voracious reader, has a huge vocabulary, but also clearly has a loving serious personality disorder and coupled with being an obvious alcoholic, it was hard to hold a conversation with him when every other sentence was a lie. From the mundane poo poo like how many dogs he owned (0), to the famous authors he'd met (0), to any and every detail of his life. All of it, lies. They let him barback at that other bar a handful of times 'cause he was always so broke and they felt bad.

Of all the "industry" folk I ever met, I've never had a guy demand booze at lower rates like this guy would. I didn't much mind his presence until one day he burned me for about $20. It was my fault for not taking a credit card to open a tab for him, but usually most bartenders and the like, and especially neighbors to the bar, would be given our trust and be allowed to run a cash tab. This guy Jim hosed all that up.

A few weeks later, when he would ask me if I could run a tab for him, like, the kind you pay back at the end of the month because he couldn't pay today, I told him I needed cash up front on the spot before I would even open a beer or pour a shot for him. He left and I never saw him again except through the window where he'd look to see if I was working.

Long story short, the guy started creeping around other bars as well. He's clearly lost his mind, and some neighborhood folks are convinced he's got bodies strung up and facemasks made of human skin all over his little rathole apartment. That became a running joke about the guy, and every time he'd walk into one of the bars around the way (he's since been banned for nonpayment there, too) they would play "Goodbye Horses" a la Silence of the Lambs on the house jukebox. Every. Single. Time.

Poor guy. I feel bad for 'em, but he really kinda hosed himself up with the hooch. And the lying.

Ally McBeal Wiki fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Sep 26, 2013

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

On being glassed though, that poo poo is no joke. Had a bartender (with a lovely rep and a hot temper to start) lose a job and all his face last week when he bottled a guy at our #1 industry bar and the cops called his high-profile opening saying either turn himself in or they'd come find him...and the NYPD doesn't gently caress around with finding you.

Jesus Christ. I thought the guy that required being carried out on all fours in my former bar was serious business.

Why is it reading these stories I feel more like I miss the work behind the bar than at any other time? loving sucker for punishment I guess...

Watch out for this horrible GBS thread coming to a bar near you, btw: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3572261

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

Sheep-Goats posted:

Most "pint" glassware in the US in fact holds only 12 ounces. I think they get to pint by how much the glass displaces (the outer size) rather than how much it holds.

Brits get very upset about this because they order a "pint" whereas an American orders a beer.

Serving sizes can vary from bar to bar as well. We served certain beers in fluted and lower volume glasses, other places gave 'em out in pints (real or otherwise), and vice versa, and prices could vary as well.

If you're ordering a "pint" and the bartender pours you a beer that looks like it's not a full pint, I wouldn't go getting mad about it. I'd ask politely, and odds are very, very good that he or she is simply using the glass that the house deemed appropriate for the beer. If the house only has the 12 or 14 oz glasses, you can feel free to call them out on not giving you a "pint," but more than that isn't really justified. That individual is probably not out to screw you over, and isn't just not listening to you; they're just serving you the beer that you've ordered in the glass they have for it.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

Kaizoku posted:

I like Tito's, but I love American Harvest, and unless they have a case special on the Tito's, Harvest is cheaper here.

And for bartending at home, Kirkland's American Vodka (their American Harvest wannabe brand) is $14 / 1.75L. Ain't had a complaint with it yet!

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
The Bees Knees. Dumb name. Seriously simple and tasty drink.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
I was hired as a barback, and my absolute best night tending bar was my first night actually serving. Our coworker had rented the place out for her 60th birthday (she's old and grizzled and is absolutely the mortar in the bricks at this place), blacked out the windows, only allowed in her friends and ours, and made it open bar all night. I got a phone call earlier that day to tell me I'd be bartending that night. Sweet.

She had put 2 signs up in huge text on the back of the bar:

"NO STUPID DRINKS."

"TIPPING IS COMPULSORY, ASSHOLES."

The bar was treated as a private club that night as well, so smoking was allowed. Ripping cigs openly while pouring whiskey on the rocks or cracking bottled beers and bullshitting with cool old farts was the order of the night.

I cleared just south of five bills in 3 hours, and learned a lot about how polite most people of older generations actually are when it comes to drinking culture. The money was awesome, but I think the experience ruined bartending for me, as no shift could top that one.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

nrr posted:

Welp, my owner showed up yesterday at 3pm, still up from the night before and blurted some stuff out he probably shouldn't about my manager leaving in a couple of months and then he pretty much offered me the job. I've turned down a fair share of management jobs to just be carefree bartender guy with little responsibility (who actually makes more money) but I think this might be the one to finally grow up and take on as a solid career move.

The worst part is going to be losing my current manager. The guy is the best bartender I've ever worked with and it's going to suck rear end not having him around to bounce ideas off.

The Sirens... they call to me...

Are you only considering the move to prevent other, potentially less desirable candidates from becoming your manager? Or is it at all a factor in your decision? Cause we all know that manager thing is a pretty tough and thankless move "up" the ladder.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

leica posted:

No you wouldn't. Try being four deep and having the computer freeze up on you, it's loving awesome!

Also gently caress CC sales, I wish our bar would go to cash only.

Holy poo poo. I can't believe you aren't. In that little shoebox of a joint?! Put an ATM smack dab in front of your bar and never have to chase down a stupid tiny rear end credit card signature slip that blew away again.

nrr posted:

I'm going to go for it. I'd be an idiot not to. It's just all a little daunting, I guess.

Go for it dude. You know you can walk into anywhere and sling drinks again if it isn't awesome, but it sounds pretty fuckin' groovy. Congrats.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

ubermarcus posted:

After an altercation with my manager at work, I was wondering what everyone's opinion is on what to do if you run out of basic house spirits?

To go back to this for a sec, I definitely had this happen twice at my last bar.

I moved people up to the next higher level of spirit (from lovely no-name vodka to Absolut, I think (blech)) without upcharge. Sometimes I'd say that I was doing so, most times not. I'd just take the Absolut off the back bar, stick it in my rail, and use it like it belonged there. This was common practice at the place, as apparently previous owners of the joint also had that kind of problem.

That bar was funny. When I started having to bring in my own fruit every shift for almost 2 weeks straight, I handed in my two weeks.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

JawKnee posted:

:stare:

the worst dive bar I worked at never had that problem.

Although when I worked at a hipster downtown "Everything made fresh" bar I had to make my own supply runs to the nearby grocery store at the beginning of my shift; didn't pay for it though, and I was on the clock for it.

I would put my receipts for $X worth of garnish into the night's closeout drop and just take the cash out of the drawer. Didn't care about repercussions, as the owner clearly didn't care about me/the customers/the bar. Never heard a complaint from him about it either. When I left he even told me the door was always open to return.

Ha.

SubponticatePoster posted:

When I was barbacking sometimes I would go pick up the liquor order and get fruit from the store. I live in a place with state-run liquor stores and you have to buy from them at the same retail price as everyone else, no going to the warehouse. So I would go in and pick up the ordered/paid for $1000 worth of well-grade booze.

I would get some real :stare: looks.

I loved the couple times I was sent to pick up well-grade garbage booze at the local warehouse supply depot. About $500 worth of "Whiskey," "Vodka," "English Gin," and "Tequila." I am pretty sure it was all the same grain neutral spirit with different colors and artificial flavorings. I didn't even want to use the vodka to disinfect cuts; I was convinced it would crystallize in the wound and kill me.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

Shooting Blanks posted:

these posts make me hate my current job and miss bartending. Then I remember my liver.

I think I've damaged my liver more in trying to drink away the pain of a crap job that isn't bartending than I ever did while tending bar. :(

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
Chicago (and possibly Midwest-regional), Virtue Ciders makes some awesome stuff: http://virtuecider.com/our-ciders/

Red Streak is a favorite. Nice and dry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

Sondheim posted:

Sadly, the only lesson I learned last night was: DO NOT EVER WORK FOR THE loving PLAZA HOTEL.

This sounds like a blast. poo poo goes wrong, and you fix it, and fuckin get to help make a party happen and people are understanding and appreciate you for doing it (even with relatively light tipping, considered)? Yep, count me in.

• Locked thread