Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Are you supposed to ask what scotch to put in the Rusty Nail? Scotch can be fairly varied and that goes extra for its drinkers.

I don't know if I really belong in the list, but some beginner (or accidental) bartenders might be in a similar situation and have questions, so I guess I'll put my name on there.

odiv - Fitness club bartender. Mostly low volume with some pretty busy events a few times a year.

edit: zmcnulty: That's weird, it seemed like the right thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

"Safety meeting" has been the ubiquitous euphemism for doing gently caress all in all of the blue collar jobs I've had (or been around).

You're on a work site sitting around drinking coffee. The boss drives up and says, "What are you guys doing? Get to work!"

"Safety meeting, boss."

Then someone adds under their breath, "Nobody works, nobody gets hurt."

It's pretty much a cliche at this point.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

And it's always the plain stuff. So no dark or spiced rum. No vodka with lemon flavouring or whatever. If someone wants a dark rum and coke they will definitely specify (or they don't know how to order a drink).

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Ha our "rail" is Bacardi Superior, Smirnoff Red Label, Bombay Sapphire, and Crown Royal, but only because that's almost our entire selection of liquor.

Also, the physical dispenser that they're in is pretty much falling apart. I should really get them to fix it up. The pegs to secure the bottles in have disappeared, so it's just a weak spring and gravity that stops them from crashing to the floor.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

FaceEater posted:

And Jesus Christ that's a nice rail. You don't happen to have Posi-pours on those though, do you?
I don't know what they're called, but the bottles are held upside down and you push up against three plastic prongs with a glass to get a shot (and only one) to come out. Unfortunately, some of the prongs have broken off, so it's a bit tricky.

It's a nice rail and we're probably the cheapest place in town (and really the only place to drink on a Sunday). I'm surprised we're not busier, but we close early and it's usually members only.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Rotten Cookies posted:

What is mind boggling to me is that the liquor, wine, and beer is completely not regulated where I work. I don't know if we just make enough money where it's not an object, but there are basically no cameras and no REAL inventory on our liquor cage. I've seen a sheet where the liquor is counted by the case. Not bottle, or parts of a bottle, but by the case. I know the guys I work with are straight-laced and wouldn't rip off our employers, but if we wanted to, we could fill our bags full of bottles, waltz out, and nobody would know or probably even care.
Wow, this seems nuts to me. Yeah, they're either making "enough" where they don't care about inventory (which is really sloppy, even when you are profitable) or someone higher up is skimming.

You ever go to your manager's place for a barbeque and notice that all the booze he has is the same stuff that you serve?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Managing difficult employees is much more valuable experience than managing model employees. Surely you can see that.

I've said this before (in the last thread I think), but employers love concrete examples when you state you have certain skills or experience. In an interview you don't just say, "I manage my team effectively!" :downs: because that tells them gently caress all. You say, "Here are some specific examples of how I have handled disciplinary issues in the past. Here is how I pump my team up before a busy night. Here is how I have trained someone up from a barback to bartender. Here is an example of a time I hosed up and here is how I took responsibility and fixed the situation."

This is all just my experience though. The people skills you have developed as a bartender should help you through the interview process. That's the hope, anyway.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Arg. $0 in tips last night. I only served about 25 drinks and I make a really good hourly so I shouldn't complain. Still, I hate getting absolutely nothing in tips.

Edit: whoops, yeah, I don't want to start a tipping discussion or something. I was just venting.

odiv fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 18, 2012

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I'm having trouble parsing your sentence. Can you be a little more clear about what's going on?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I was away at university and some friends of mine had come in from out of town. "I know a decent Irish pub we can go to," I said.

We get there around 10pm, I could hear J-Lo from down the street and there were some women in tiny sequined shirts waiting in line outside.

"What the gently caress is this?" I thought, embarrassed.

Turns out the pub had just started having a "Club Night" to boost traffic. I walked away disgusted, so I didn't get to see how hilarious some drunk kids grinding in a pub atmosphere would be.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Working the xmas party tomorrow for our club. Should be a bit crazy as the owner generally makes it open bar for domestics and wine for about an hour. It's nuts how entitled some people get about free booze. Here are some things people have actually said to me in years past:

"I just bought a beer. Why didn't you tell me it would be free in five minutes!? Hey, can I get my money back?"

"I don't like beer or wine so you should give me a free rum and coke. Make it a double."

"I just got here. Why isn't it free all night? Who gets to a party at 9?"
(Almost everyone else, pal. We're packed all night.)

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Yes, DJ, please put on Pittbull's "Don't Stop the Party" right around last call. That would be perfect.

XMas party turned out okay, but we're really not trained or equipped for that kind of volume. Some genius decided that instead of getting new cases for empty beer bottles, the best thing to do would be to pile them on top and roughly in the same area without pouring them out first. As a result a few cases got soaked. :thumbsup: Also, our fridges suck, so after about two hours I was serving warm beer and feeling lovely about it.

I think I'll recommend they get outside staff for the next one.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I wasn't working that night, but a drunk dumbass thought it would be a good idea to empty a fire extinguisher in the bathroom. I'm pretty sure the police were called and charges were laid, even though he paid for damages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

So this is neat: The Complete List of American Whiskey Distilleries & Brands

• Locked thread