Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Drunk Whispering 101 - Control Your Drunks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Bar Hazards 456 - Citric Acid Laser Beams and How to Avoid Them*

*Don't flirt with the help

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

IMO it should be common sense for any good bartender to know when it's cool to comp drinks, pour heavy/light, etc. If you need one of those stupid rear end systems it just shows you're a tightwad and/or don't trust your bartenders and reflects badly on your establishment. Nevermind the fact it's loving cheesy.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

SubponticatePoster posted:

you never ever get to have a safety meeting because if DABC caught bartenders drinking on duty they'll yank your license.

90% of the bars would get shut down here on the beach if that happened :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Anyone have any bartendning geared resume examples? I'm thinking about shopping myself around, and it looks like most of the jobs available (on CL anyway) are wanting resumes. Guess it's a new thing, never had to it before. Also noticed a few adds wanting pictures and links to facebook pages what the gently caress.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Vegetable Melange posted:

being a cocktail bar, I can usually get away with saying "that's the point" to those cats, unless it's Saturday and I can't hear them over the dj, at which point welp.

My response is "I can make you a well Scotch and water, I bet you'll taste that"

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Daric posted:

It just blew my mind that someone would think they were entitled to free drinks because we don't carry their favorite beer on tap. And why would she even ask me about the Bud Light if she wanted Miller instead? I was so confused.

I've had people insist we give them draft prices for can beers when we (temporarily) run out of draft. Or try to negotiate prices. Am I wearing a tie? This isn't a used car lot last time I checked.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Coohoolin posted:

Running out of draught is pretty bad though- people want their pints, not some lovely gimmick-rear end expensive 33 bottle.

We only carry one beer on draft, Bud Light, 3.25 for a 16oz (2.50 happy hour).

Cans (no bottles) are 3.75, so really, would you feel sorry for people complaining?

Also all kegs run out eventually, and because of the size and location of our bar it takes about ten minutes to switch it out BOO loving HOO. Either wait ten minutes or pay for a can. And what really burns my rear end is some of the regulars know the routine yet bitch and moan about it anyway.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 9, 2012

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Coohoolin posted:

I meant running out of draught for the day, like. No kegs left at all.

Oh well that's never happened, should never happen, and if it does then yeah I would consider running a special on bud cans or something just because we were dumb for running out. But to bitch about the few minutes in between switching out kegs really annoys me.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I work in security as well as bartending. You really, REALLY don't want to resort to being physical unless you absolutely have to for the simple fact you can get sued or even go to prison. It's good that you led with your communication and defusing skills, read Facing Violence by Rory Miller, it's a must read for everyone in the business.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

If all she did was throw a drink on you she's not that crazy, you got off lucky.

REAL crazy women are loving scary.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Perdido posted:

Holding a grudge for an argument that happened over a year ago isn't crazy to you?

No, breaking a window with her bare hands, bleeding profusely trying to get to you in a locked apartment is though.

I would have taken a drink to the face all day long over that.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

We have 3.25 16oz draft, 3.75 domestic cans and well drinks.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I can kinda understand those rules in a restaurant setting, most managers don't want people (especially the same people on a regular basis) getting drunk in a family oriented restaurant. Honestly, if you like having a "following" of regulars to make money don't bartend at a restaurant.

As far as not letting your own employees drink that's pretty standard, I've never worked anywhere that allows that.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just smelling well Tequila makes my gag reflex go off. In order for me to drink tequila it has to be at the least Patron and chilled, even then I have to fight the urge to puke. I don't know what it is about tequila that makes it so hard for me to drink, I can do shots of rot gut whiskey all day long :confused:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rumplemintz and/or Goldschlager.

Campari would also work great if you have it

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

If I get a cut i just have everyone at the bar spit on it and rub it in a little

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

If there are other jobs available I would high tail it out of there. Either that or ask for a higher hourly wage since the owner expects you to basically manage the bar.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

nrr posted:

Beer chat I loving love it when I get, "give me a coors light man" and I have to say, sorry bud I don't have that. I've got a nice lager that's light and crisp and locally brewed though..... "Nah, fine. Look, just give me a Budweiser ok?" Actually, I don't carry Bud either. And then you get this amazing look like, what kind of loving shithole is this? You charge $98 for my dinner and I can't even get a Budweiser with it?! and if I could bottle that look and drink/shower in it then I would probably not want or need for another thing in my entire life.

I get that same look because we don't carry bottles. It's a beach bar idiots, get over your dumb loving obsession with bottles and drink your Bud Light out of a can. The worst is Corona drinkers, ask them to drink it out of a can and they act like you just asked them to bend over and spread their cheeks.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The Tiki bar I work in is the size of a shoebox, and our beer cooler is about 5'x3'. People complain that our beer selection is too small :psyduck:

We also have one beer on tap, Bud light. This is how the conversation usually goes:

:downs: What do you have on tap?

:v: Bud Light

:downs: What else?

:v: Hold on, let me check........Bud Light.

:mad:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Vegetable Melange posted:

Tiki supremacy. I'm dipping off tomorrow to mothers because Bacardi is sponsoring the show. Where are you that tiki runs a whole concept?

It's a Tiki bar on a beach "resort" in FL. It's tiny.

That's 3/4 of it :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

We have tip rocks for our bar. It's an outside tiki bar on the beach so it's usually windy and it helps to have rocks on the bar to keep cash secured, at the same time we have TIP ROCK written boldly on each rock to remind people that we work for tips. It works really well. We also have a bucket to put the tips in, and we hang it from the ceiling just high enough to put the money in and make it difficult for someone to try and walk away with it since we're out in the open and it would be really easy to disappear.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah that's way too small. On busy nights our bucket will overflow and we have to keep mashing it down or count it up for bigger bills, but if it's busy there usually isn't time to count it up in the middle of a shift.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I haven't had to press charges yet (knock on wood) although I have 86ed a bunch of people.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

mooyashi posted:

How does that work at a walk-up beach bar? Ours is easy, only one entrance, most of them never really try and come back. Ever get people just mean mugging you from afar?

I just tell them to leave and if they refuse I call the cops and have them trespassed. Then, once they are "officially" trespassed if they come back they will be arrested.

People will talk poo poo but I just give it right back, and I've had drunk dudes come at me but other people always stop them. We have lots of regulars that have our backs, that's one of many pros to having a good regular clientele.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sheep-Goats posted:

But I caint taste tha likka!

My favorite response to that is "Oh you wanted a double? My bad." or "Next time I'll skip the coke, mmmkay?"

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Shooting Blanks posted:

Would love to try the touchscreen POS systems, though I dont want to bartend again.

No you wouldn't. Try being four deep and having the computer freeze up on you, it's loving awesome!

Also gently caress CC sales, I wish our bar would go to cash only.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

FaceEater posted:

Holy poo poo. I can't believe you aren't. In that little shoebox of a joint?! Put an ATM smack dab in front of your bar and never have to chase down a stupid tiny rear end credit card signature slip that blew away again.

That's what I keep saying, but the owner doesn't ever want to inconvenience the guests so it would probably never happen. Make the guests use an ATM? That's shameful :colbert:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That's the problem with our POS, the owner REFUSES to have the right people come and set it up, and instead relies on his managers to learn on the fly how to do it. We just had a new restaurant open and putting them on the POS has been a colossal cluster gently caress.

Honestly if the POS we had was properly set up I wouldn't care about CC sales, but if the owner doesn't give a gently caress about it I'd rather do cash only sales just to save my loving sanity.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Dolemite posted:

I'm not a bartender, but I hate to say it, I am one of those that will leave the bar if I find out it's cash only. If there's a prominent sign saying "Cash only!!!!!", then I'll leave before ordering a drink and screwing over the bartender.

But on the occasion that the place is not smart enough to drape a sign letting people know the bar is cash only, I have been that guy that orders drinks, whips out the debit card and then leaves the bar when the bartender says it's cash only. Some places have tried to point me towards the ATM, but I won't use it.

A) I'm not paying $3 - $5 to get access to my own money. A $1 fee or something? Sure, I'll hit the in-bar ATM. But when the cost of using the ATM almost costs as much as a drink at the bar itself, I'm not going to bother.

B) There are far too many bars in my area that do take credit to put up with this.

Even worse for these cash only places, I'll only get caught out once by cash only. After I run into a cash only problem at a bar, I'll never return to that bar. I hate carrying bills and coins with me. Even if the place was worth it, my weekend going out plans are far too spontaneous to remember to withdraw cash.

And again, when you have so many great drinking holes to choose from, I don't see the need to put up with a stone-age era cash only bar.

But see, bars like the one I work at don't give a poo poo if you walk away because we don't NEED your business. There are plenty of people that would be willing to deal with it because of the popularity of the bar. Those are the kind of bars that can get away with it. Your average bar not so much. Even then the regulars that keep the places afloat aren't going to give a poo poo, they'll just bring cash, and won't care if some guy walking off the street gets turned off.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I don't get stressed over running out of anything. You say sorry I'm out of that and upsell it or offer something else it's not a big deal, people are gonna drink whatever you have. If the manager fails to order anything he's only making himself look like a moron, no sense in doing something rash like charging well prices for top shelf and making yourself look dumb too.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Perdido posted:

Has anyone worked at a place where drugs (specifically cocaine) has been a major issue?

My place is really starting to become problematic with cocaine abuse and management understandably wants to be doing something about it. Beyond instructing staff to "keep a lookout" and ejecting people we catch red handed in stalls, there isn't much else we're doing.

The two big ideas I have right now would be getting new bathroom attendants, one that will actually pay attention to what the gently caress is going on in the stalls, and maybe approaching CPS and seeing if we could get a paid duty in on the weekends to specifically be looking for this poo poo.

It's getting a little ridiculous -- it's about three weeks in a row where we've found multiple baggies with coke still in them laying around the bar. One was in a loving ziploc sandwich bag and had a fair quantity in it.

Call the cops? It's their job to deal with that poo poo, not yours. One of the neighboring bars here used to be called "Celebration Station" and we called it "Cocaine Station". It's under new ownership now, and the cops do walkthroughs now and then and apparently it has calmed down the drug use quite a bit.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

How is that risky? I know from experience, nothing you do in house is going to accomplish anything besides maybe slowing it down for a day or two, maybe a week if you're lucky. Until people know there are cops involved they are going to keep doing it. It comes down to how bad you want that element out of your bar. If you want it gone you're going to have to involve the police, like it or not.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

In that case it sounds like you need bouncers to just start kicking people the gently caress out.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Perdido posted:

We have bouncers, didn't realize I needed to spell that one out. I was looking at this more from a deterrent/preventative measures angle.

Was in last night and they changed the bathroom stall doors up, making it easier for door staff to peek in and see if there are multiple people in a single stall/are using if need be.

Well you didn't say the cops were involved either. If you have bouncers already get new ones because they aren't doing their job. Nothing is stopping them from checking bathrooms, hiring bathroom attendants would be a waste of money.

Not sure what to tell you dude, since apparently the police aren't helping and you have worthless bouncers.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 28, 2014

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

If you already have bouncers just make sure they are more diligent and make sure they focus more on what's going on in the bathrooms besides just waiting around for a fight to break out. Maybe you need to sit them down and go over their responsibilities and add new ones in order to get control of the situation.

Around here paid officers are used quite a bit, but only at bars that don't have bouncers. It's kind of silly to be paying officers when you already have bouncers that are perfectly capable of managing the situation. If they can't or won't do it hire new ones.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

He's looking for solutions "outside the box" when really the solution to problems like this are pretty straightforward, if management isn't taking the appropriate steps to take care of it then it's not going to go away. And yeah, if employees and/or management is somehow involved good luck with that.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

We're making stupid money this season, breaking all kinds of sales records. We've had a couple of nights over 4k, and that's out of little shoebox bar. Crazy tip percentages too, this weekend is gonna be nuts.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

poo poo last Wednesday I only rang up 450 because I got rained out and still made 150 in tips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

That's a highball, not a cocktail.

A highball is whiskey/bourbon and ginger isn't it?

• Locked thread