Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
I came up with a project idea a few months ago and just sorta threw myself into embedded development. I'm pretty proud of myself to have gone from "Blink" to a custom LUFA device in about 3 weeks. Even taught myself how to solder (thanks to SparkFun's tutorials). Still have a lot to learn, I know.

Sadly there's only one parts store in my city and its selection is lacking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?

EpicCodeMonkey posted:

Neat! I'm the author of LUFA. I'm damned impressed you managed to go from the Arduino environment (hand-holding GUI with C++ libraries) to LUFA (makefiles and notepad, yay) in such a short amount of time. Congrats!

Well it was thanks to you, then! You were kind enough to help me out just last week when my eyes mistook F_CPU for F_USB.

I was also pleased to find that there's an implementation of Google's protocol buffers available for embedded devices. If my project runs out of room it'll be the first thing to go but the flexible data structures are kind of nice.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?

Sinestro posted:

Protocol Buffers

This is the library that I'm using. It's about 5k for the encoder and 5k for the decoder.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
I'm already hitting my first obstacles with my project. I've got a MicroSD breakout board hooked up to my board using Software SPI (simply because I lack the proper cables at the moment) and the SD library I'm trying at the moment (although all of them seem to be based on fat16lib) seems to be giving me issues. I'm getting inconsistent file writing issues. Sometimes the files aren't even opened, or the bool operator of the File object will not necessarily be indicative of whether or not the file is writable. :sigh: I just want to log to a file.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
This is going to sound really dumb, but I just got the chance to head in to an actual Radio Shack (as opposed to the renamed Canadian ones) and it was amazing. Actual ICs and everything. PIC controller kits, Parallax stuff, shields, displays and some awesome starter kits. Managed to get an Arduino Micro and Esplora and save on the shipping.

:smith::canada:

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
I tried two different Radio Shacks here in Honolulu and they both had SeedStudio shields, TinkerKit shields, Netduino and even a Zigbee shield. I won't deny the smaller components are overpriced, but in Ottawa the most complex part I could find was a 555 or an OSEPP board or two.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?

Victor posted:

Was I so strong as to constitute 'hating'? Would you flesh out what you're saying a bit more? I'm not understanding how something in between is anything but a good thing. Is there some dogma I'm ignoring, like "If you're going to do more than get your feet wet, you must dive in the deep end."?

Yep. I don't know what was up with that, but it got taken down pretty quickly.

As an amateur who's only been immersed in this world since December, your Kickstarter seems too railroaded to me. It's giving me the feeling that all of the things I've learned with my Arduino boards will not be applicable (even though I know this isn't entirely true). It's also jamming avionics down my throat. Your product feels as distant to me as FPGA or making my own ASIC.

Sorry :( Just an amateur's perspective.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?

Victor posted:

Hey, no reason to apologize! Yesterday, I talked to my boss about the whole idea behind Arduino, and to what extent that made Spark Core so successful. (almost at $200k, with $10k target) To what extent do you simply want to see that it's about as easy to get up-and-going with AshimaCore as it is with an Arduino?

I'm a little confused at how you see it 'shoving avionics down your throat'; could you explain how you got that message? It is designed to be an avionics package, but all that really means is that it has a decently powerful processor, µSD, two sensors, and multiple wireless options. If you were to try and get all these separately, you'd be paying well over $129, you'd have to hook things up yourself, and you probably wouldn't have a high-speed SDIO hookup. If, however, you don't want at least the accelerometer and gyro, I don't think this is the board for you anyway.

The whole avionics thing came from lack of sleep and mixup with other such similar products that are open in other tabs right now. Considering the other drone brain I saw at the local hobby shop runs for $400, what you guys have could be quite the steal. I'd say capitalize on that. Build some demo drones and play it off as the next step in protecting your yard from evil terrorist neighbour dogs. (Okay not really, but you get the idea.)

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
Virtualbox?

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
So I picked up a Beaglebone Black. So far I haven't even figured out how to update it, but if this little board can save me $400 on a USB sniffer I'm so goddamn happy.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
It's really a completely different beast to program for, though. It's a weird disconnect for me, as I can understand loading AVR code or PIC code to a controller, but the beginner guides for BeagleBone aren't quite as helpful, barring their Cloud9 junk.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
Why is everything about the Beaglebone so terribly documented, or at least terribly assumptive.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?

Slanderer posted:

Is TI still horrible at the documentation for those things? I've been wanting to get a Beaglebone Black recently, since my original Beaglebone disappeared a long while back. I remember the documentation for the hardware being incomplete at the time, and not all of the basic drivers were done, which was cool.

It's mostly my noobness with all things embedded. It's all based on Angstrom/OpenEmbedded, which is decently documented. It's just for a newbie it's a bit confusing to get up and running.

I've got the Black and I'm enjoying it so far, for what I've been able to make it do so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
I'm just going to chime in that it's been a bit of a struggle to get started on the BBB, but I was going right for Kernel development so my experience isn't exactly typical. I'm currently trying to port a project from 2010 to work with the BBB and I'm dreading every next step.

• Locked thread