Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Tetraptous posted:

I started out with an AVR and an STK-500, and I think it's not hard to understand and makes more sense in the long run, but I understand why the Arduino is so popular--it's easy, self contained, and there's a huge community of people using it. Same reason people used to use the BASIC Stamp instead of just targeting the PIC directly. For a non-programmer non-hardware person, these make a great starting point.

You don't even need to get an STK500, theres a lot of little micro board with USB built in so you don't need JTAG/serial programmers.

Pham Nuwen posted:

The Raspberry Pi and the Beagle Board are both very cool, but I wouldn't call them embedded environments. They're really general-purpose computing devices which just happen to be in a small package. Also, though it seems counter-intuitive at first, Linux actually makes embedded work *more difficult*. With a simple device like an Arduino or a PIC, it turns on and immediately starts running your software, and ONLY your software.

Also, I'd like to point out that you don't need to spend $30 on an Arduino, depending on what you're doing. I built a 7-key USB chording keyset around an AVR chip (same as they use in an Arduino); aside from the $3 chip, IIRC I only needed a few resistors, a diode, and a crystal oscillator--total cost, probably $5-8.

Edit: vvv forgot about that part, but for $15 you can get one (https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9825) and re-use it over and over.

Just buying the parts and throwing it on a breadboard/proto board from rat shack is not very nice if you don't wire everything up the first time.

Speaking of rat shack, they actually have arduinos in their physical stores!

One last thing since you mentioned the beagleboard - the leopard board is a similar board with plugin camera modules for image capture/processing.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Some of them do. Others are just cell phones, as far as the eye can see :(

If you live in a decent size city at least one is probably a proper "hardware" radio shack with all of the drawers and everything.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

astr0man posted:

I would count raspberry pi as an embedded device. Just because it runs linux doesn't make it not embedded.

Stuff running windows/x86 is considered embedded in some contexts too.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

movax posted:

Honestly, Windows is probably the OS that will make you the waste the least time just getting stuff to work. All the major manufacturers have tools that run natively under Windows and treat that as their primary target platform. I've gotten up and running fastest under Windows compared to Linux (Fedora) and OS X. The only exception is probably Microchip ever since they released MPLAB X; it worked right out of the box on my Mac.

The exception is when you have a linux target, then a linux host can be convenient.

The best solution is run whatever OS you like best and have a VM for each special snowflake toolchain. I like vmware fusion and OSX myself. USB programmers pass through to the VMs cleanly in my experience which is well worth the price (vbox while impressive for a free offering just doesn't have the hardware support).

• Locked thread