Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I'm trying to drive a small DC motor from an arduino using an H bridge. Do I need to size the H bridge to handle the stall current of the DC motor or just the normal operating current plus a safety margin (but still not as high as the stall current)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

movax posted:

Personally, I'd size for at least 1.5x the normal operating current. Do you have any idea what in-rush current/transients can spike to? Safety margin(s) are always a good idea. If you have a chip rated for 1A, you have no idea if that chip barely passed QA or exceeded requirements with flying colours.

Yeah, we went with the 5A h-bridge so I don't think it will be a problem. Unfortunately I'm not sure what the transients might look like this because I don't have the motors yet.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Switzerland posted:

Maybe (probably) this is a dumb question, but something I've been wondering about : Is there such a thing as a drag & drop board builder? To elaborate: Say you want to create a small embedded system that has, say, an ARM chip, four USB ports, obvious stuff like a power plug, RAM, HDMI out, etc.? So you just drag & drop the various chips and connections, and it provides you with the schematics, ready to have it made?

I'm sure there are plenty of dev boards that would have that, maybe with two usb ports instead of four. You could take something open source that has most of what you need (Beaglebone Black maybe) and modify it.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Switzerland posted:

I meant more like in software, e.g. you have a list of CPUs, ports, I/O, etc., and the software figures out how to interconnect all of that.

I've never heard of anything that will automatically tell you e.g. what ports you need to connect from your USB port to the microcontroller and then make the gerber files for you to have a board built.

quote:

Also, I have no idea how easy or hard that would be.

Well to modify the Beaglebone Black you would download the Orcad files here:
http://beagleboard.org/hardware/design

Open them up in Orcad and make your modifications. This will involve modifying the schematic, where you place components and choose which pins/connections go where, and the layout which is the to-scale representation of how the components will be arranged on your circuit board and how the traces are routed. Then you pay some money to have your board fabricated, buy the components and solder it all together. It would probably be a pretty big job.

Are you asking out of curiosity or is there something specific you are trying to build?

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Does anybody have any advice for getting into Bluetooth? I'm thinking books, websites or development kits. I'm starting pretty much from scratch but it seems like a hot topic these days and I am interested in learning about wireless stuff so it seems like a good place to start. Google took me here to a TI kit but I would like to hear some opinions before I drop $100 on it.

• Locked thread